Food and Drink #26

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else feel given the build up the jubilee has been a bit meh?
I watched the parade thing and I found the celebs on the buses a bit random, you’d of thought they’d of at least got a Spice Girl on the 90s bus.
My mum thinks that could be the last time we see The Queen she said it felt like a one last look type goodbye.
I wonder how many times Louis has been bollocked off Kate this weekend? 🤣.
We've barely heard a thing down here about the Jubilee. A few articles about HMTQ but mostly about Harry and Meghan being shunned by having to sit in the second row.
Louis is a cutie, such a spirited little dude.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Bugger, got home and went to feed the horses, noticed Senior Horse was slightly puffy above his eyes, felt his fetlocks and sure enough, digital pulses. For the non-horsey, this is an early sign of something called laminitis, which is caused by the grass being too rich, and if it develops unchecked then it can cripple them.

I think I've got it early enough, I've spent the evening setting up electric fence on the bare field the sheep just came off (so he doesn't lean into the garden and eat Mr F's young hedge) and when I brought him down the road he was so eager to get back to Junior Horse, who'd gone first, he was trotting on tarmac, so he's obviously not in discomfort at the moment. But I was thinking of setting up a track system for them this summer and this has given me the impetus to get everything ordered, because I need to keep him moving and fit and if he gets a full on bout of laminitis I'll be told to stable him, which he hates. The other two are fine, thank goodness.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 37
Bugger, got home and went to feed the horses, noticed Senior Horse was slightly puffy above his eyes, felt his fetlocks and sure enough, digital pulses. For the non-horsey, this is an early sign of something called laminitis, which is caused by the grass being too rich, and if it develops unchecked then it can cripple them.

I think I've got it early enough, I've spent the evening setting up electric fence on the bare field the sheep just came off (so he doesn't lean into the garden and eat Mr F's young hedge) and when I brought him down the road he was so eager to get back to Junior Horse, who'd gone first, he was trotting on tarmac, so he's obviously not in discomfort at the moment. But I was thinking of setting up a track system for them this summer and this has given me the impetus to get everything ordered, because I need to keep him moving and fit and if he gets a full on bout of laminitis I'll be told to stable him, which he hates. The other two are fine, thank goodness.
I hope you have caught it in time 🤞

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Hope they feel better soon.

Stupid city dweller here, what do you mean by the grass being too rich, and why does it cause problems? (Sorry for my idiocy.)

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Aww no feel better soon Senior Horse.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Hope they feel better soon.

Stupid city dweller here, what do you mean by the grass being too rich, and why does it cause problems? (Sorry for my idiocy.)
Not stupid at all - grass is basically a carbohydrate and contains natural sugars. There are masses of different types of grass and depending o nthe species, the time of year, the length of it and the weather, the sugar levels vary. Up here we've had lots of sunshine with a bit of overnight rain/dew and it's making the grass 'flush' which means it's growing like crazy, very green and lush and full of sugar. I'll see how he is in the morning, hopefully back to normal, but I've got seven round bales of last year's hay left, so once they've eaten what little grass is on that field they can start eating that, which they won't enjoy as much, but it'll be much better for them. We get a flush in the autumn as well, but after that's finished, the long untouched grass is pretty safe for them to work their way through over winter, it's long and stalky, so lots of fibre to slow down their system processing it, and lower sugar because it's colder and darker.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 27

I’m in awe of animalo knowledge. Hope you have caught it in time. Sending first aid hugs to SH.

@NellieBoo spoilering as very much a me-rail.

Thank you for thinking of me ❤. It was essentially a festival in a residential (albeit a mainly HMO) street. We had a stage with a DJ, a couple of food stands, red bull cars, bars etc. in a 70m stretch. However, the police (2 cars came and stayed the whole time) made sure it was OK and it took us an hour to clean up this morning. It’s done though and the VC and PVC were scared of the media getting hold of it (after the Rod Liddle incident) so they came down too.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I’m in awe of animalo knowledge. Hope you have caught it in time. Sending first aid hugs to SH.

Thank you for thinking of me ❤. It was essentially a festival in a residential (albeit a mainly HMO) street. We had a stage with a DJ, a couple of food stands, red bull cars, bars etc. in a 70m stretch. However, the police (2 cars came and stayed the whole time) made sure it was OK and it took us an hour to clean up this morning. It’s done though and the VC and PVC were scared of the media getting hold of it (after the Rod Liddle incident) so they came down too.
Glad it all went without trouble. I’d hate to have to deal with that on my street. What is a VC and PVC?

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Not stupid at all - grass is basically a carbohydrate and contains natural sugars. There are masses of different types of grass and depending o nthe species, the time of year, the length of it and the weather, the sugar levels vary. Up here we've had lots of sunshine with a bit of overnight rain/dew and it's making the grass 'flush' which means it's growing like crazy, very green and lush and full of sugar. I'll see how he is in the morning, hopefully back to normal, but I've got seven round bales of last year's hay left, so once they've eaten what little grass is on that field they can start eating that, which they won't enjoy as much, but it'll be much better for them. We get a flush in the autumn as well, but after that's finished, the long untouched grass is pretty safe for them to work their way through over winter, it's long and stalky, so lots of fibre to slow down their system processing it, and lower sugar because it's colder and darker.
Thank you for educating me! I wont look at grass the same again now. Poor Senior horse, he didn't know he was harming himself with tasty grass.

• Heart
Vice chancellor and Pro vice chancellor of the university.
Very much hope they are taking responsibility for as much as they can ❤ So happy this is over for you, my heart went out to you yesterday imagining how stressful it must have been x

• Heart
Hope you’re still in Jersey and having a glorious time @Froggies. A mate sent me this and I of course though of you/your avi
View attachment 1320110

ETA and here’s the pic of the raccoon stealing the poor little feral cat’s food for those of you who haven’t seen it!

View attachment 1320167
😂
Still in Jersey! Fly home tomorrow. It’s been amazing. The weather has mostly been lovely and we’ve had lots of fun. MasterFroggies hasn’t really eaten which is super annoying - he’s going through the fussiest stage I’ve ever know - but we’ve tried not to let it become an issue. We had afternoon tea today so I’ve been bloated for hours but now I’m hungry. Mr Froggies doesn’t want anything and I’ll feel ridiculous ordering just a bowl of chips on room service 😂

• Heart
Troops given that I me rail everything I'm going to keep it on topic and say I made the aubergine and tomato sauce (for pasta) as per Miguel Barclays green book and I'm going to make another of his pasta dishes for my dinner tomorrow

My mum is really enjoying the cooking. For context my mum is a super talented person but she's never been a confident cook but she's getting there.

When I say her cooking has improved my brother still takes the piss out of her for making him eat spaghetti with grated cheese and kedgeree when he was growing up.
She made Miguel's asparagus rice tonight and she said it tasted great.

I have the vegan Miguel Barclay book and the green one and I would recommend them both. The Green one is on offer on amazon for a fiver I'm sure and I got mine on ebay for just over six quid.

The recipes are so simple and he makes easy recipes you wouldn't think of doing yourself

Hope the horse feels better soon. Horrible when animals aren't well. My ginger Tom tore a patch of fur clean off his side a few weeks ago the daft arse. I have no idea still how he did it but I suspect it was a rumble with one of my other cats, a total accident but he's 14 and when I saw it I was panicking like mad. (He doesn't act like he's 14, I've had him a decade and he's as daft as the day I got him).

Last edited:
  • Heart
I had to get away from the royal wankfest - can’t bloody bear the lot of them.

Thankfully no street party near me that I know of. And if anyone had asked me to clear my drive so kids could play on it I’d have been turning the sprinklers on. Not that I’d need to as it is pissing down here.
Looool, in the end it turned out they were using the green space opposite ours as a kids football area so I wonder if they wanted to extend it (bizarre??) or were just worried about it hitting husband’s car?!

Tunnel I hope you’re feeling better today dear heart ❤ Be gentle to yourself today, lots of sleep and self care-y things.
Do you grow any vegetables out of interest? My year 9 geography knowledge says people are only arable or parable (is that right? Veg or animals) but even just for fun? We’re going to do a veg patch once we move and I’m SO excited for all the learning opportunities/what an experience it’ll be for the toddler (and me tbh!). Tho I did see a worm in a strawberry on a nature fb group that’s scared me about the whole thing ngl, send mind bleachio pls

• Heart
Ah, a lovely lady from the Facebook MC group
loved Susan so much she painted her! I had to crop it out because triangle but she wrote 'This cat captured my heart so I followed my heart and caught the cat'
The lady actually lives in Israel (lol)
A135C3B9-CCEE-46DC-B2FF-C0D2F08EBB42.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 32

I'm glad you are ok and safe ❤.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
The treasonous trifle is finally finished! I am quite proud of my efforts as this is my first time ever a) making swiss rolls, amaretti biscuits, jelly and custard, and b) doing any kind of fancy dessert decorating. The dragon is my fave, although it tastes very slightly of onions because I evidently didn't clean the salad bowl thoroughly enough before melting the chocolate in it 😂 I will update on how the rest of it tastes tomorrow but can confirm the individual parts were all good!

Besides the decorations this is the original recipe halved - it was very fun to make and I recommend it to any non-vegans who enjoy baking. Although it took forever the individual parts were all straightforward, there were just lots of them, and it needed surprisingly little equipment (I was a bit worried about that as I only have one mixing bowl). To get half the amount of juice it says in the recipe I needed five lemons and half an orange. I also used Dr Oetker vege-gel instead of gelatin and it worked fine.

Only thing I will say is Jack was actually right about the price, it did cost in the region of £35 for all the ingredients even doing the scaled down version 😬 Most of that was the amaretto, which I love so I didn't mind, but if you're not likely to use it much then you could probably substitute a few drops of almond extract - it's only used to flavour the biscuits anyway.
20220605_225422.jpg
20220605_225451.jpg
20220605_225939.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I was going to say something about cats earlier but got distracted.
I love cats but Mr Soapy D is not keen so I have a good long chat with every cat I meet.

I follow various cat accounts on Instagram and a Canadian charity called Tiny Kittens. They rescue ferals and strays, educate, and run a TNR (Trap Neuter Return) scheme for a few local feral colonies. I've seen dozens of live births (and deaths) over the last decade. It's heart breaking and inspiring in equal measure. You can view here if interested.

This is the latest family of orphaned kittens settling in.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
My vet uses my surname with the cats, it wasn't a question they just did it automatically. Funny story, a female friend of mine who is married and they have a cat which they got together, her partner was annoyed at a call from the vet when they used her surname not his for the cat :ROFLMAO:
Mr Em rang the vet and had his surname added onto mine for Maisie. He was horrified that cos I registered she automatically got my surname.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.