Food and Drink #26

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Secret frau or just all round marvellous human. This is going to be stuck on a loop in my head when I grunk

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Raccoons are also extremely clever and devious. We regularly have them around the house and they can open bins/trash cans, even undoing the clips that hold the sides of the lid down. (I think I’ve posted the pic of the raccoon stealing the little feral cat we feed’s food here already?) We are still very fond of them though.

Here’s one of the little boogers the other morning- this is not raccoon jail, it’s next door’s back porch, taken from our path. Just chilling, waiting for us to go in. NO SHAME!

View attachment 1318604
their black eyes and stripey tail always make me think of the McDonald's burglar, presumably he has a name but I have no idea, that is why they look shifty 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 21
their black eyes and stripey tail always make me think of the McDonald's burglar, presumably he has a name but I have no idea, that is why they look shifty 😂
Hamburgler, wasn't it?

On our way home from a family wedding and am now well stocked up on Wookey Hole cheddar after a pit stop at the House of Bruar food Hall:)

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I had to get away from the royal wankfest - can’t bloody bear the lot of them.

Thankfully no street party near me that I know of. And if anyone had asked me to clear my drive so kids could play on it I’d have been turning the sprinklers on. Not that I’d need to as it is pissing down here.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I haven't been keeping up with this thread or the MT at all but just checking in to see how the party of doom went on Tunnel Street. Sounds like my absolute worst nightmare but also like there hasn't been any permanent damage, so that's something I guess?

I'm halfway through making a Republican trifle to take to work tomorrow. It's the Jubilee trifle - the real one scaled down, not the Jack spite edition - but in the colours of the British Republican flag* to appease my staunchly anti-monarchy colleagues. I'm far from a royalist myself but a pudding is a pudding, especially when it features amaretto and lemons.

*Red, white and green - I had to look it up.

I was doing the Duolingo Welsh course too until it got derailed by panic-learning Vietnamese. I fully intend to go back to it after my trip though because I was really loving it - what a cool language. I finished the Irish course years ago although have forgotten most of it now. I think Irish is very similar to Scottish Gaelic, or at least I remember being able to read some of the signs and things when I visited Edinburgh.
I'm really enjoying the Welsh. For context my grans family were native Gaelic speakers and I've always wanted to learn it except I'm rubbish at it. To be fair some languages have a bit of crossover and others are phonetic so they are easier for me anyway. Gaelic might as well be klingon to me right now. I'll go back to it at some point.

My mum made the aubergine pasta recipe from Miguel's vegan book and had it for dinner last night and she made enough for her lunch today and she was like I've just had pasta with Miguel sauce for lunch (that was funny). She was raving about it though.

Anyway we identified another 3 recipes she could make from ingredients she had and that's what you want really. To be able to make meals without loads of fuss.

He's got a recipe for spring onion noodles so that's my dinner sorted. I'm not a bad cook, I've just got out of the habit of cooking from scratch and I need to get back to it.

Still astonished at how good the Leek and potato samosas were particularly as I could not get filo pastry and had to use other pastry and I thought it would ruin them

Reactions: 16
I'm actually really enjoying duolingo. For context my mum speaks a lot of languages fluently. She was a language teacher and she's excellent at languages.

I did French German and Spanish at school but I shouldn't have. I was never good enough to do anything with them and if I had been sensible and chosen easier Highers I might have got to uni two years before I did.

My grans family were native gaelic speakers and my mum gave me a gaelic book a couple of weeks ago so off I hopped to duolingo.

So far I am better at French,German, Welsh, Spanish,Dutch and Russian than I am at Gaelic

Czech is hard too. I'm actually better at Latin than I am at Gaelic and I never did Latin in school. In short I'm tit at Gaelic:)

Miguel kind of falls under people you shouldn't fancy but you do. Same as Matt Bellamy. I'm off to see Muse in a couple of weeks and I honestly can't wait. I'll be screaming like a lunatic (there's a reason I go to gigs on my own)

My mum has just phoned me to tell me she made Miguel's aubergine pasta and she really liked it.
I love going to gigs alone, so much easier not having to worry about losing whoever you are with and having to try and find them in the chaos at the end. I only like a couple of Muse's songs really but was actually tempted to book tickets as they are supposed to be amazing live

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I love going to gigs alone, so much easier not having to worry about losing whoever you are with and having to try and find them in the chaos at the end. I only like a couple of Muse's songs really but was actually tempted to book tickets as they are supposed to be amazing live
They are fantastic live. I don't think they are playing Scotland on this tour and I don't think they played Scotland on the last tour either. I've had to travel the last twice I've seen them.

I was going to try and get tickets for the London gigs but they are playing the Isle of Wight festival after Lionel Ritchie dropped out.

Reactions: 12
Hope you’re still in Jersey and having a glorious time @Froggies. A mate sent me this and I of course though of you/your avi
EA73A87E-D2A5-4229-8F3D-467E70A18238.jpeg

ETA and here’s the pic of the raccoon stealing the poor little feral cat’s food for those of you who haven’t seen it!

8B787911-D272-4D22-B236-B5D7B6C6B1F9.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
I feel like half the exams we make undergrads do are pointless.

Every year I beg my colleagues not to make our first years do an exam. They get so stressed out about it, and for what purpose? History is not an emergency! It's already happened! I've never been locked in a room in my professional career with just a chewed Bic biro and a ticking clock and asked to be a historian.
Grunking but 🔺 most of my STEM lecturers despise exams, feel they prove nothing but how good someone’s memory recall is, and in The Real World of STEM, we’re allowed not to forget things and need to look them up, etc.

As I have ADHD, I appreciate this, but they cannot get the momentum to scrap the end of year exams, or make them smaller, or weighted less.

I’ve never got less than a First in any lab reports, STEM writing, client reports, case studies, etc. Exams? Low 2:1 if I’m lucky, most likely a Mid 2:2. Drags my overall grade down and pisses me off, gives no indication of my actual ability/depth and breadth of my knowledge.

Plus, I’m mid 30s and a single mother, not Straight Outta Sixth Form with nobody else to think of.

ETA - first year exams were 24 hour, MCQs. Simple and done within the usual 2 hours. Second year exams were a mix of MCQs and 1000 word essays (2-3 per module (out of a choice of 5 questions) 6 modules).

I don’t know how I’d crank out 3000 words in 3 hours by hand - dyspraxic so can’t write neatly for tit, the second year exams this year were allowed 4 double sided pages of notes in to help the transition.

Not sure what third year were like as I split the year in half because I was 🔺 unwell with Actual Long Covid, was meant to do them this year but again, tit happened and I’ve had defer.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
We introduced pupbo to my mum and dads cat this weekend. You could almost see the cat roll his eyes when we entered. Several hisses later and they’re good pals now.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
We introduced pupbo to my mum and dads cat this weekend. You could almost see the cat roll his eyes when we entered. Several hisses later and they’re good pals now.
Awww cats are great, love it when animals just get in with each other. Us humans could learn a lot.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Morning.

Thank you all for being so understanding, it means so, so much ❤❤. When the TEN ended we went out and checked and the organiser (who is lovely but naive) was clearing up pretty well and everyone was going into town. I am just going on a glass sweep now.

Mrs T got chased by a raccoon when she went running on a really early run in NY on a school trip. The kids thought it was hilarious obviously. Her, not so much. Honey badgers are immense for their moods.

Tunnel dog in a pub (v. rare occurrence). Because every day has felt like Saturday (sung to Morrissey), I think we can have facturday today too.

View attachment 1319183
I've been thinking about you and your street party. I posted a comment on another thread about it sounding like a festival rather than a street party. Something that had got out of all control. I hope you are ok love.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
A neighbour has a new cat and it's become obsessed with my dog. I'm not sure whether the cat wants to be friends or eat my dog for breakfast.....

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Does anyone else feel given the build up the jubilee has been a bit meh?
I watched the parade thing and I found the celebs on the buses a bit random, you’d of thought they’d of at least got a Spice Girl on the 90s bus.
My mum thinks that could be the last time we see The Queen she said it felt like a one last look type goodbye.
I wonder how many times Louis has been bollocked off Kate this weekend? 🤣.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.