Food and Drink #24

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I say tor-toyce but I have a mad accent from living in lots of countries and I'm one of those people who subconsciously assimilates to whoever I'm speaking to.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I don’t think we’ve ever done the fish on Good Friday think although we probably should of as my dad is a Catholic granted not a very good one as my sister was born before my mum & dad got married.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
We always do fish on good friday . I am currently waiting on a takeaway from the “ good” chippy , eta is 7pm which is a long wait but worth it . They are an Easter treat from my Dad so will taste 100 times better.

i want to say I say tor-tus because that’s how my brain voice says it but my mouth voice says toy- toyce . my brain and mouth often disagree over how to say words. This is why kettle and cattle sound exactly the same when I say them .

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I inadvertently had a fish Friday for lunch, as had some leftover salmon. I'm sure Jesus would be happy. Dinner will be an oven pizza which I am looking forward to 😋 (normally I would treat myself with dominos and sides but trying to be not such a hefty frau so I see this is a good compromise)

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Going to tuck into fajitas imminently so I'm not in the Good Friday fish crew, although I will be having a chippy at some point this week 🙌

• Heart
Reactions: 21
i want to say I say tor-tus because that’s how my brain voice says it but my mouth voice says toy- toyce . my brain and mouth often disagree over how to say words. This is why kettle and cattle sound exactly the same when I say them .
I know exactly what you mean with this! My brain knows that the tv show is called “Gogglebox”, but every time, I end up saying “Googlebox”. 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
Pizza here tonight, because I have an unfortunate childhood memory of fish fingers and cough mixture (not a Jack recipe) that makes me feel sick every time I even smell fish now.

Nibbles, as promised/threatened!

VideoCapture_20220415-184302.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 41
I don't have fish and chips on good friday, but I do have a tradition of looking at all the photographs of people queuing for them in the local paper and feeling glad I'm not in the queue, does that count? Huge queues from 11am as North East punters get their fill of Good Friday fish and chips - Chronicle Live

Corned beef hash tonight, always takes much longer to make than I think. I should probably prepare the potatoes rather than fannying around on here.

I'm a tor-tuss kind of person (SE England accent). To chuck another word in there for discussion, I think it's a NE England thing to pronounce turquoise as ter-coys (rather than ter-kwoise), is that right? My husband says it that way and I find it delightful :love:
I say it that way yes. But say tortuss

Corned beef hash tonight, always takes much longer to make than I think. I should probably prepare the potatoes rather than fannying around on here.

I'm a tor-tuss kind of person (SE England accent). To chuck another word in there for discussion, I think it's a NE England thing to pronounce turquoise as ter-coys (rather than ter-kwoise), is that right? My husband says it that way and I find it delightful :love:
I say tor-tuss and tur-kwoise but my mother used to say tur-kwarz. She had delusions of grandeur though.

We're having homemade prawn and tomato curry tonight, does that kind of count as fish on Friday? All seafood is interchangeable, right? Except for Shippam's crab paste, that wouldn't go in a curry would it, it'd go with pasta :p

I'm finding myself in need of corned beef hash recipes because I've never known two people make it the same way. Anyone up for sharing?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Did you find April?
No, my best chance of getting hold of her, if it is her, is to wait until that flock is brought in for lambing - they go late, because their owner is a shepherd on a big estate about 15 miles away and he's busy lambing there at the moment, his own flock doesn't lamb until May. But if I do spot her on the way to work again between now and then on a day when I don't have someone coming to pick something up at 9am (who never turned up, dammit!) and she's still where she was, she's not too far from the communal sheep fank for that village and I could walk her to that, pop her in and go home and get my quad and trailer to pick her up - my hours are flexible enough to do that and my boss also has sheep, so is understanding! (Working for someone again after 15 years of self-employment is a bit strange, but it's going really well so far, thank goodness.)

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I don't have fish and chips on good friday, but I do have a tradition of looking at all the photographs of people queuing for them in the local paper and feeling glad I'm not in the queue, does that count? Huge queues from 11am as North East punters get their fill of Good Friday fish and chips - Chronicle Live

A guy in our work say ter-quash

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
I feel such a fraud being on this thread I had KFC
Don't worry - I am about to order chicken wings & hash browns with nacho cheese sauce!

My excuse is a 60 hour week (actual work, not JM style) and no days off for 4 weeks which has triggered a fibromyalgia flare up. I get ganglions and have one on each wrist so cooking is a challenge I can't face today.

Never even knew fish on Good Friday was even a thing until I moved to Liverpool.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Don't worry - I am about to order chicken wings & hash browns with nacho cheese sauce!

My excuse is a 60 hour week (actual work, not JM style) and no days off for 4 weeks which has triggered a fibromyalgia flare up. I get ganglions and have one on each wrist so cooking is a challenge I can't face today.

Never even knew fish on Good Friday was even a thing until I moved to Liverpool.
I hope you enjoy every crumb

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I'm finding myself in need of corned beef hash recipes because I've never known two people make it the same way. Anyone up for sharing?
Normally I'd have fried onion in it too but I don't have the space here. Chop potatoes into small 1cmish cubes, boil until cooked, fry in butter until crispy, add chopped corned beef (having scraped off all the mank), fry until it's all super crispy. If I'm feeling FANCY I'll have a fried egg, but I'm at work and we only have a tiny little cooker/hob set up, so I had lashings of ketchup instead 😉 This is the way my grandma always used to make it for me when I was little, honestly one of my favourite meals.

I once went to Malmaison and ordered corned beef hash and it was nothing like what I'm used to, I was very disappointed. Think it had non-tinned beef in it or something?

• Heart
  • Wow
Just arrived at my parents' old house further north in Bonny Scotland...the electricity must have tripped a few days ago ....got it back on, but dammit, i am eating the contents of the freezer even tho it's a pile of mush.

Had a veg lasagne as a "test" followed by 2 toffee pops and a ruffle bar as ballast 😬

Your animalos are all gorgeous!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.