Food and Drink #24

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This might sound weird but I'd love to know how you guyses pronounce tortoise?
I was watching an English TV show years ago and the presenter kept saying 'Tor-toy-us'.
I always read like that now. :unsure:
I think that when Valerie Singleton was looking after the Blue Peter tortoise it may have sounded like this? But that was many many years ago! I honestly can't express how supportive and comforting this thread has been this week, it has been full of tricky negotiations in my head about food + family + fear + grief: the first 'this is not normal' milestone of the pandemic was the family seder being replaced by a Zoom seder for Passover 2020 (which was heartbreakingly giggly and 'wow, this is weird but it will only be a for a few months'), followed by another Zoom seder in 2021 (much less giggly) and then this year ... we were hoping for a smaller than usual but IRL seder with at least one child returning but alas that is not quite happening. We will have one guest though (and that feels so strange - in the past it's generally meant cooking for between 20 and 30 people!)
I've had a total panic refusal to think about what to cook, but now it's going to happen: matzoh pie, asparagus with lemon, mint and labneh, sweet potatoes, braised celery (veg bag was full of the devil's work), Claudia Roden's orange cake, Claudia Roden's chocolate cake, rose coconut jellies, Nigella's honey semi freddo. And I will enjoy it and be thankful, the world is a strange and terrible but also beautiful place for which I am grateful. Tunnelly, Marj24, will hold you in my thoughts, along with my children. There's a rabbinic saying: "The whole entire world is a very narrow bridge and the main thing is to have no fear at all" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kol_Ha'Olam_Kulo which has been turned into an oddly perky little song, I shall be humming it to myself and thinking of you.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Hey hey, just to let you all know that Saturn’s most recent new profile (thunderclapforcapers) has been banned. He was Montrachet before, I’m posting the names here so nobody feels out of the loop. He will most probably come back / is already, so if you do suspect that a poster is him (usually fairly easy to spot after a while), please do report for the mods to deal with.

Just to reiterate, he is not to be mentioned or screenshot on the main thread - please report any screenshots or mentions. Any repeat mentions or screenshots will result in a warning. Hopefully this will be the last we will need to discuss him. Cheers all and peace ❤
I don't post in this thread because I struggle with the MT and learning the rules of a new one is beyond me at the moment.
Thank you for clearing this up and thank you for keeping us safe from this person.
I was very confused by what was happening.
Posts disappearing scared the tit out of me because I thought it was related to this tumour thing I have.
I genuinely thought I was getting worse with it pressing on my brainstem.
I felt I couldn't ask because I've been warned for mentioning that person back when I didn't know the score.
Again, thank you, and thank you to the pair of you who directed me here.
I'll head back to the other place.
Slán go fóill.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 39
My dog who does not pay rent or bills is taking up the most space on the bed currently.

Pissed off tunnel here. Started feeling rubbish earlier on so went to bed. Just woke up feeling worse and have tested positive. Two years from the March bout and I just about feel back to normal bar the running and this hits. I never see anyone and wear a mask in the shop.

Moan over. Tunnel dog doesn’t care. She’s just sighed again and stretched out.

Question- I know lots of you are veegs so this is more of a “tradition” rather than “do YOU do this?”, but fo any of you have fish and chips on Good Friday?

It was a big thing up here, not so much anymore but just wondering.

Happy days @Wooh- nothing better than a washing machine doing it’s thing. Nothing worse than one with something in it that shouldn’t be.
Yeah I’m having fishless fingers and chips tonight, in Scouseland it’s still the case that school dinners have fish on Fridays...same as it ever was.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Are we going to get hats on Easter Sunday maybe? The forum has a jolly atmosphere with hats. It doesn't take much 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
View attachment 1195395Ah, my brother just sent me this baby gecko. He thinks it's about a week old.
We’ve got little lizards and geckos running all around our porch and garden at the moment and the babies have just started hatching and are teeny tiny. I’ll see if I can get a good picture over the weekend

As to the tortoise pronunciation, where I grew up in Wales it’s pronounced to rhyme with porpoise (which I THINK is only pronounced one way, otherwise that’s pretty confusing!)

ETA here’s a pic of a little turtle chilling in the sun that I took last weekend. That facial expression is just fabulous 😆
D4E02E51-1C92-4FFB-91E0-C5D20C33770A.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
We’ve got little lizards and geckos running all around our porch and garden at the moment and the babies have just started hatching and are teeny tiny. I’ll see if I can get a good picture over the weekend

As to the tortoise pronunciation, where I grew up in Wales it’s pronounced to rhyme with porpoise (which I THINK is only pronounced one way, otherwise that’s pretty confusing!)
I now say porpoise like tor-toy-us. Only to myself though.
The gecko has made itself at home. My brother has kangaroos, possums, sugar-gliders and some frogs at his place. He's on 11 acres and the animals just wander about.
139F89EE-D696-4A32-84C2-4814F52C284F.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I am sat in the garden, shorts on, having a cup of tea in the sun and I feel so content.
I suffer from anxiety and yesterday was not a good day at all. Today I feel calm and happy. I have someone I don’t know that we’ll coming over for pizza later and I’ve been stressing over it, but now I feel good. It’s the chance to make a new friend. I know I’ll feel a bit anxious later but for now I’m going to enjoy the calm.

(I pronounce it tor-tus. Although in my head it’s tor-TOY-se and I don’t know where that came from)

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I now say porpoise like tor-toy-us. Only to myself though.
The gecko has made itself at home. My brother has kangaroos, possums, sugar-gliders and some frogs at his place. He's on 11 acres and the animals just wander about.
View attachment 1195788
We have frogs too (when it gets a tiny bit colder we have to lift up the cushions on the porch chairs before we sit down in case any little frogs or lizards are hiding underneath them), and my MIL is in the country on 35 acres and has those plus turtles, deer, coyotes (who believe it or not ate all the watermelons last year 😂), possums, etc etc and memorably once- a skunk. They smell worse than I had ever imagined. Much worse 🤢

Oh, and last year we had a squirrel in the attic, which wasn’t as much fun as seeing them scamper around outside. I am a fan of nature for the most part, though not of ants or mosquitoes. I got bitten on my foot by fire ants a couple of years ago and ended up with a nasty cellulitis infection and having to have a massive needle stuck into my bum.

(I pronounce it tor-tus. Although in my head it’s tor-TOY-se and I don’t know where that came from)
Lol maybe it came from Wales?! Tortoise/Porpoise! 😂 🐢 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
This might sound weird but I'd love to know how you guyses pronounce tortoise?
I was watching an English TV show years ago and the presenter kept saying 'Tor-toy-us'.
I always read like that now. :unsure:
I had a moment then where my brain couldn’t decide how I pronounce it - my go to is Tor-Toys now I’m thinking I’m saying it wrong.
Happy Easter wishes to all.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Tor-toyce here! I have been giving Nibbles a pedicure this morning, she's still sound, but her foot was overgrown from not walking on it properly when she was lame - it used to be that you trimmed the foot back before treatment, but vet thinking has changed over the last few years, so now you deal with the infection first and then trim once that's sorted. So we took them all down to the village fank and Mr F held her against the side of a pen while I trimmed off all the overgrown hoof. Normally you'd tip a sheep onto her bottom to immobilise her for feet trimming, but Nibbsy hates it, so we do it this way and she's not too bad for wriggling when she knows we're trying to help. Her foot is still a bit niffy, so she got a good squirt of antibiotic spray and I'll check it again in a few days' time. Forgot a picture, sorry, but they need their water topping up later so I'll take one then!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I pronounce it “tor-toys”. I wonder how Charles Darwin pronounced it, since he spent a lot of time with them on the Galapagos Islands?

I know he was doing serious work and research, but in my head it was party central, like this gif…

…but with giant tortoises and a long beard.

• Haha
I'm a tor-tuss saying frau, but I get irrationally angry when I hear Americans calling them turtles. No!!!

• Haha
  • Heart
My dog who does not pay rent or bills is taking up the most space on the bed currently.

Pissed off tunnel here. Started feeling rubbish earlier on so went to bed. Just woke up feeling worse and have tested positive. Two years from the March bout and I just about feel back to normal bar the running and this hits. I never see anyone and wear a mask in the shop.

Moan over. Tunnel dog doesn’t care. She’s just sighed again and stretched out.

Question- I know lots of you are veegs so this is more of a “tradition” rather than “do YOU do this?”, but fo any of you have fish and chips on Good Friday?

It was a big thing up here, not so much anymore but just wondering.

Happy days @Wooh- nothing better than a washing machine doing it’s thing. Nothing worse than one with something in it that shouldn’t be.
We always had fish and chips on Fridays, being a catholic household. But, instead of the normal cod we got the fish of our choice on Good Friday.

• Heart
I'm a tor-tuss saying frau, but I get irrationally angry when I hear Americans calling them turtles. No!!!
To be fair to the Americans I know/in this neck of the woods (and on F&D topic 😞), they do differentiate between tortoises and turtles, if only because down here you can get turtle soup/it’s a “thing” but you can’t (to my knowledge) get tortoise soup.

• Wow
I’m meant to be working (finishing off something I need to submit by Tuesday) but I absolutely cba so I’m amusing myself with different pronunciations of tortoise and thinking about what I’m cooking for our Chinese fakeaway tonight

• Haha
Reactions: 14
So, I just looked at this sign and thought “is it weird that my first thought is they’ve spelled animalos incorrectly?” and literally in the time it took me to whip out my phone to take a pic for you all, a little animalo climbed onto it to check the spelling for itself!

ETA keeping it on topic, I’m currently having an iced coffee and a frittata
5F884745-6795-4A49-B4C0-2966780FA79D.jpeg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
I don't have fish and chips on good friday, but I do have a tradition of looking at all the photographs of people queuing for them in the local paper and feeling glad I'm not in the queue, does that count? Huge queues from 11am as North East punters get their fill of Good Friday fish and chips - Chronicle Live

Corned beef hash tonight, always takes much longer to make than I think. I should probably prepare the potatoes rather than fannying around on here.

I'm a tor-tuss kind of person (SE England accent). To chuck another word in there for discussion, I think it's a NE England thing to pronounce turquoise as ter-coys (rather than ter-kwoise), is that right? My husband says it that way and I find it delightful :love:

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Sorry to read about MT and Twitter goings on recently, it's very unsettling that SL* feels unable to contribute anything for the moment as their posts and s/shots are the heartbeat of the MT 😕 It's the bloody internet, not criminal court, bullying like this is pathetic and lowly, leave it out.
ETA *and ABP - miss your hysterical art! + anyone who has been rattled by this x
Keep on keeping on lads, you're my salvation at times and I wouldn't be without you 🥰😘🥰

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I've never had fish and chips on good friday (as far as I can remember), but this just popped upon my twitter feed so I feel I have to share it here

Screenshot_20220415-173048_Twitter.jpg

and I say tor-tus

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Been here a while now (Tattle) and used to like Saturn’s posts and respected their decision to go over to Twitter and not mix platforms (as I remember it) . Sad that it’s got upsetting for people.

But I am off topic.

I am being a poor Catholic today by eating chicken and not fish.

There will however be lamb on Sunday courtesy of my Mum and Dad . My son doesn’t eat roast dinners and my husband is taking some friends over to a historical building.

So am going on my own and my son (19) will be happy scoffing Easter Eggs at home.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.