Food and Drink #22 Off-topic Jacktivities

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bats are so interesting. I love their echolocation systems and the adaptations in their ears and brains.

We have a protected bat tree near us and a bat box that picks up their calls.

Evolution is so amazing. I mean, I know our eye is amazing and all, but sometimes, thinking about how bats aren’t deafened by their own calls so they can hear the echos is just eye-watering.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Not to encourage more accidental bird sanctuaries, but there‘s a selection of bird feeders in the Middle of Lidl at the moment, for all the Terrys.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
I saw a bat last night as I was coming back from the horses, think there are a couple living in the falling-down house next door. We have short-eared owls and barn owls locally sometimes. I would absolutely love to run an owl sanctuary, but I'm very conflicted about them being kept in captivity. I went to the Barn at Beal birds of prey centre in Northumberland years ago with my mum and my cousin and we were incredibly lucky and got to help them hand feed Fudge, a baby European Eagle Owl, who was just the most adorable bundle of floof ever.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I remeber this from school
:ROFLMAO:
how crazy is it how much you can remember from songs as a child? I remember a whole song that I never understood as a child in a language I speak now but then didn't so I can finally understand :ROFLMAO:
We sang this at school too, I also remember the words!

Re bats, we get them in the garden a lot in summer, if you're outside at dusk they swoop around just above your head 😊

• Heart
Bat piss stinks though. I had to come home from a wedding at Chester Zoo by train to Glasgow and had been in the bat tunnel thing and did not smell good. It was a hot day too. Luckily no-one was in a shin-kicking mood that day.

In other news, I spectacularly annoyed a friend (who is technically an ex) last night with a terrible multi-part joke that had him totally invested over the course of the entire evening, so anyone who wants to share that tiny petty victory over all exes everywhere, you are more than welcome.

I like Tete, Epaules, Genoux, Pieds as far as French body part songs go.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
feel a bit left out here cos I don't remember learning alouette at school. I do remember bart simpson singing it at one point though. also, cheryl cole used similar lyrics on Promise This

we get the odd bat and owl round here and there was a great deal of excitement recently when someone spotted a sparrowhawk

• Heart
Reactions: 12

This has made me laugh a bit too much - it’s more the non plussed look of the lark.

@kachoochoo - had never made the link to the Cheryl lyric but now have that bit of the song bouncing around my head.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I’m sit with you @kachoochoo I didn’t learn alouette at school either.
I do like bats though but I don’t see any where I live now sadly a couple of baby one used to flap around outside my old house I burned the tea a few times as I was too busy watching them 🙊.

• Haha
Also didn’t learn it at school. We sang this though.

Also remember being taught this in Friday singing lessons at primary school. Bizarre.

• Wow
  • Haha
Bat piss stinks though. I had to come home from a wedding at Chester Zoo by train to Glasgow and had been in the bat tunnel thing and did not smell good. It was a hot day too. Luckily no-one was in a shin-kicking mood that day.

In other news, I spectacularly annoyed a friend (who is technically an ex) last night with a terrible multi-part joke that had him totally invested over the course of the entire evening, so anyone who wants to share that tiny petty victory over all exes everywhere, you are more than welcome.

I like Tete, Epaules, Genoux, Pieds as far as French body part songs go.
intrigued at this multi part joke?! but either way well done!

anyone else terrified of the thing about bats getting trapped in your hair and never able to get out? not even sure if this is real (and I literally always have mine in a bun so irrelevant anyway..) but still a weird fear

Bats are so interesting. I love their echolocation systems and the adaptations in their ears and brains.

We have a protected bat tree near us and a bat box that picks up their calls.

Evolution is so amazing. I mean, I know our eye is amazing and all, but sometimes, thinking about how bats aren’t deafened by their own calls so they can hear the echos is just eye-watering.
totally random regarding echoocation but i read this years ago and found it fascinating https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jul/13/experience-blindness-echolocation-daniel-kish

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I’m sit with you @kachoochoo I didn’t learn alouette at school either.
I do like bats though but I don’t see any where I live now sadly a couple of baby one used to flap around outside my old house I burned the tea a few times as I was too busy watching them 🙊.
I learned a Spanish song about an elephant, I think it was walking on a tightrope. It’s kind of like ten green bottles, you have to add an extra elephant each verse

Reactions: 11
Not really educational but generations of Aussies kids sing
"Waltzing Matilda, who bloody killed her? Lying in the grass with a dagger up her arse"

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Not really educational but generations of Aussies kids sing
"Waltzing Matilda, who bloody killed her? Lying in the grass with a dagger up her arse."
We had “Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg. He did a fart behind a cart and blew up the IRA!”

• Wow
  • Haha
feel a bit left out here cos I don't remember learning alouette at school. I do remember bart simpson singing it at one point though. also, cheryl cole used similar lyrics on Promise This

we get the odd bat and owl round here and there was a great deal of excitement recently when someone spotted a sparrowhawk
Baaaahhhaaaaa as an embarrassingly one language person, I've literally only just understood that alouette is the lilting little French song that even I know. Except I don't know it, because it never occurred to me that it was LYRICS and I would sing it like this:

Alyouwetta, shonty alyouwetta
Something something la la lala LA
HMMM HMMMM LA LA LA
HHHHM MMMMM LA LA, LA
HMMM HMMMMMM lalala
Shonty la la LA

Thank you, thank you; bows in Australian 🙇‍♀️

I did three months of French lessons when I lived in London, but we didn't cover this song

Ours was similar but not the IRA, it was TAA. (Now defunct Oz airline).
Kids are so weird.
It appears my song perception was also poor in my own language...

Jingle bells
Batman smells
Robin ran away
Something la la
Something la
In a one horse oppensleigh*

* I didn't know that sleighs could be closed so I assumed it was a special kind of sleigh; an oppensleigh (because that sounded nicely European to me)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Spider-Man, Spider-Man, burnt his knickers in the frying pan!

Why? Knickers? Frying pan?

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Our jingle bells one was
Jingle bells
Batman smells
Robin flew away
Father Christmas lost his knickers in the Milky Way, hey!

No, I've no idea either...

Frere Jacques sung in rounds in French classes too.

• Haha
I was in primary school in the 70s and this one still resonates with me-:

Jesus Christ, Superstar!
Wears frilly knickers and a see-through bra
Cops are there
He don't care
He's got supersonic underwear.

The wit and wisdom of the children...

• Haha
Oh, there was the rude version of English Country Garden as well.

What do you do if you want to have a poo in an English Country Garden?
Pull down your pants and suffocate the ants in an English Country Garden.

I actually have no idea what the original lyrics were for that now, I'm going to have to Google it.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.