Food and Drink #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I would also recommend to TooGoodToGo app. I find it useful to have all my bills on a standing order/direct debit. So I know my outgoing each month. Lots of free budgeting apps online. If you have a freezer buy marked down food and freeze, I do this a lot with bread. Lots of budgeting Facebook groups. I used to scan my receipts for a company and had love to shop vouchers to use from the points I collected.

We arent on good wages, but after rent, bills and usual outgoings like food, we are left with £200ish. That goes towards our debt (we're on a DMP).

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Despite the unpleasant association with our mutual friend, the yellow sticker offers in supermarkets were a real lifesaver while living on a small budget. I have a decent sized freezer, or would just try and cook up a batch of things quickly after a shopping trip. Aldi (#teamcuthbert) 50% stuff was great, I could actually do a basic week's shop for about £20 (food only). Oh god, remember the other day on the MT - I appear to be Jack and never noticed.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Tinned mango puree is quite useful though - I first tried it making a Samin Nosrat New York Times mango pie which I've now simplified down to crushed ginger biscuits topped with tin mango puree + tin coconut cream and back in the days when I could share food with other people it was surprisingly popular (& potentially vegan, depending on the biscuits)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
St George (Sant Jordi) is also our patron saint, so today is a holiday! No hats but a lot of people have homemade banners with dragons and roses on their balconies, and there are street markets selling roses and books (the traditional Sant Jordi gifts) everywhere. A bit subdued this year of course, but last April the markets were cancelled altogether, so we're making progress I guess.

To anyone celebrating for whatever reason today, enjoy!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Are there any legal types here or anyone who knows anything about tribunals? I'm not after a free consultation or anything but just wanted to ask a couple of questions. My partner has been working as a manager of a self-storage place for the last 4 years. He was employed on the basis of his customer service background rather than sales as the branch he was to manage had a pretty serious rat problem and obviously they were getting a lot of complaints. He dealt with all of that really well, received a lot of praise for dealing with angry customers and sorting a lot of tit out.

However, since the rat problem was resolved, his area and regional managers have been getting on his case about his storage unit sales, and moaning that they haven't been consistently high enough. He was put on some sort of performance improvement plan, and was having to do role playing with the managers a couple of times a month (FUN!). Anyway, at the start of this month they demoted him because of his poor sales. Then to add insult to injury, they moved his 'base store' to one which will take him 90 minutes to travel to rather than the 10 minutes it currently takes him. He will obviously be taking a pay cut because of the demotion, but will also be about £200-£300 per month out of pocket for travel costs on top of that. He asked if he could remain in the local branch but was told that he couldn't because it would be awkward for the member of staff who has been promoted into his role, although they both think that they have a good enough working relationship to survive it.

He is planning on leaving, has managed to get another job (yay!) but has been told by a few people that they think he has a case for constructive dismissal as the money he would be getting would not be enough for him to survive on. So I guess what I really want to know is, do you think he has a case, and is it really worth the hassle of pursuing it if he is leaving anyway?

His regional manager is a bastard by the way.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Are there any legal types here or anyone who knows anything about tribunals? I'm not after a free consultation or anything but just wanted to ask a couple of questions. My partner has been working as a manager of a self-storage place for the last 4 years. He was employed on the basis of his customer service background rather than sales as the branch he was to manage had a pretty serious rat problem and obviously they were getting a lot of complaints. He dealt with all of that really well, received a lot of praise for dealing with angry customers and sorting a lot of tit out.

However, since the rat problem was resolved, his area and regional managers have been getting on his case about his storage unit sales, and moaning that they haven't been consistently high enough. He was put on some sort of performance improvement plan, and was having to do role playing with the managers a couple of times a month (FUN!). Anyway, at the start of this month they demoted him because of his poor sales. Then to add insult to injury, they moved his 'base store' to one which will take him 90 minutes to travel to rather than the 10 minutes it currently takes him. He will obviously be taking a pay cut because of the demotion, but will also be about £200-£300 per month out of pocket for travel costs on top of that. He asked if he could remain in the local branch but was told that he couldn't because it would be awkward for the member of staff who has been promoted into his role, although they both think that they have a good enough working relationship to survive it.

He is planning on leaving, has managed to get another job (yay!) but has been told by a few people that they think he has a case for constructive dismissal as the money he would be getting would not be enough for him to survive on. So I guess what I really want to know is, do you think he has a case, and is it really worth the hassle of pursuing it if he is leaving anyway?

You can get some general advice from ACAS, but some solicitors will provide free advice. We went down that route when my OH faced redundancy. It was really helpful.

Not reaching sales - part of the job, so could be understood. Relocating on top of that, based on a weak link, isnt good enough though!

Tribunals can be a lot to face though. He can go through the process and raise a grievance (the process needs to be done before ET anyway), sometimes the threat is enough to get a little settlement.

• Heart
Afternoon fraus, what a *****ing ****** of a week. Not usually a "TGIF" person but I have never been so ready for a week to be over before. Shopping getting delivered tomorrow, am trying to talk myself out of demolishing a tub of Ben & Jerry's tonight as I've already had a takeaway this week to try and lift my spirits. I'm sure the mother thread will give me some chuckles.

My parents can't cook so my skills are very lacking, but it feels embarrassing trying to learn at my age 😐 a friend had to teach me the 'correct' way to chop an onion a couple years ago and I felt so humiliated at my ineptness.

Hope Buddy Oliver - and Marcus Rashford and Tom Kerridge's new campaign - can help the next generation of kids out with the basics.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Afternoon fraus, what a *****ing ****** of a week. Not usually a "TGIF" person but I have never been so ready for a week to be over before. Shopping getting delivered tomorrow, am trying to talk myself out of demolishing a tub of Ben & Jerry's tonight as I've already had a takeaway this week to try and lift my spirits. I'm sure the mother thread will give me some chuckles.

My parents can't cook so my skills are very lacking, but it feels embarrassing trying to learn at my age 😐 a friend had to teach me the 'correct' way to chop an onion a couple years ago and I felt so humiliated at my ineptness.

Hope Buddy Oliver - and Marcus Rashford and Tom Kerridge's new campaign - can help the next generation of kids out with the basics.
Oh god, dont feel like that!! ❤ there are lots of people out there who cant cook, or who dont know the basics. I love cooking, but i still cant cook a bloody boiled egg 😂

My mum is a shocking cook, even when I was younger we couldnt be in the kitchen together as we would bicker about doing things differently. I threw myself into cooking shows and books, and now we are so lucky to have youtube and instagram with so many brilliant cooks and recipes to learn from. Even now to basic knife skill tutorials! I loved Food Tech in school and cant believe they dont do it now!!

As for this week - yes!! Its been a weird crappy week hasnt it!? Have the ben&jerrys or have a takeaway x

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Oh god, dont feel like that!! ❤ there are lots of people out there who cant cook, or who dont know the basics. I love cooking, but i still cant cook a bloody boiled egg 😂

My mum is a shocking cook, even when I was younger we couldnt be in the kitchen together as we would bicker about doing things differently. I threw myself into cooking shows and books, and now we are so lucky to have youtube and instagram with so many brilliant cooks and recipes to learn from. Even now to basic knife skill tutorials! I loved Food Tech in school and cant believe they dont do it now!!

As for this week - yes!! Its been a weird crappy week hasnt it!? Have the ben&jerrys or have a takeaway x
when we did food tech at school (I am 34 now to put it in context) it was barely even about cooking, I remember learning how to make choux pastry once, hardly an invaluable skill when half the class didn't have basic cooking skills, and for one project we had to make a sandwich (this is GCSE) we didn't even make (or learn to make) bread for it and some people genuinley made peanut butter or marmite. It was all geared to food marketing

• Heart
when we did food tech at school (I am 34 now to put it in context) it was barely even about cooking, I remember learning how to make choux pastry once, hardly an invaluable skill when half the class didn't have basic cooking skills, and for one project we had to make a sandwich (this is GCSE) we didn't even make (or learn to make) bread for it and some people genuinley made peanut butter or marmite. It was all geared to food marketing
Oh really? Im a similar age (33) and ours was actually useful! Bread, pizzas, some cakes and desserts etc. With so many adults lacking basic skills, the teaching needs to come from somewhere doesnt it.

• Heart
Oh really? Im a similar age (33) and ours was actually useful! Bread, pizzas, some cakes and desserts etc. With so many adults lacking basic skills, the teaching needs to come from somewhere doesnt it.
interesting! we did some desserts , I remember apple turnovers and mince pies, but I don't remember learning any actual meals, luckily I have always liked cooking so it was never really an issue but I remember people almost setting fires every time we had to cook something savoury, which weirdly weren;t things we were taught to make it was a project we had to study at home and find recipes for

• Heart
I’m 32 and we did the same as you @emm. I remember making fruit salad a couple of times 😂

@Switchstreetz I don’t know the correct way to chop an onion, I’ve seen my husband do it but it never sticks so I just chop it any old way the rare times I do it! At least now there are a million YouTube videos you could follow if you want to learn without anyone having to watch you. You shouldn’t be embarrassed about your lack of cooking skills but I feel the same way so I know it’s easier said than done!

• Heart
  • Haha
I'm a terrible cook too, unless it involves cake or biscuits. I very nearly failed my food and nutrition class pre GCSE years for making a pizza that had so much marjoram on it that it made the teacher choke.

12 lambs out of 24 now on the ground and running about. Here are 11 and 12 having a break as we walk from the bottom field to the nursery.

20210423_164254.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I’m 32 and we did the same as you @emm. I remember making fruit salad a couple of times 😂

@Switchstreetz I don’t know the correct way to chop an onion, I’ve seen my husband do it but it never sticks so I just chop it any old way the rare times I do it! At least now there are a million YouTube videos you could follow if you want to learn without anyone having to watch you. You shouldn’t be embarrassed about your lack of cooking skills but I feel the same way so I know it’s easier said than done!
we did fruit salad too!

• Heart

I work in HR and I think he has a case. If he didn't sign an agreement to be relocated this could be seen as breach of contract IF the initial employment contract he signed specifies a certain office (most do, check the headers and footers if it isn't written clearly in the body of the contract). However, constructive dismissal cases are fairly difficult to win. I would recommend putting all the facts together in concise bullets, like the fact that he was hired more for the customer services side (if he has a job description or offer letter which mentions this even better) and saying that whilst he has a case for constructive dismissal, instead he is asking for a settlement agreement. They might not do it if he has resigned already but it's worth a try and more likely to be successful than going to tribunal. If you can perhaps seek advice from an employment lawyer, if he can say he's had legal advice - or even better if a lawyer can make the points in a letter - they are more likely to agree to settlement, which should give a payment similar to redundancy.

• Heart
  • Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.