Food and Drink #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Pocahontas ...do you sit and eat them in front of the television as a snack and also take a tin of them with you on the train? They're not Del Monte brand are they? 🕵️‍♀️

I buy fresh pears from the supermarket every week for about five months of the year. The trick is to buy them three days before you want to eat them, I've never had a problem with them ripening that way. I'm looking forward to nectarine season too Blurst, I get massive nectarines off the market that are <chef's kiss> the loose ones in supermarkets always shrivel up and never ripen.
They are Tesco I believe (but I’m not fussy 😂) I usually eat them in the kitchen, out of the tin with a spoon and feel equal parts decadent and slobby.
It’s been so long since I’ve been on a train, but maybe I will pack a little tin for the journey next time, alongside a snazzy shirt.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I loved tinned peaches with that really sweet cream that would come in a tin. It was always a Sunday night treat for us.

Just looking for advice really, I am in the middle of a divorce and spitting the finances. I could keep the family home but it would leave me with very little (if any) money at the end of the month. I dont have any savings. How much do normal people have left over after bills etc? I cant ask my mates as its one of those subjects you just cant discuss. I know I am asking an impossible question but I cant decide what the best option is. I want to stay here and my children are very happy here but will the financial pressures be too much?

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I loved tinned peaches with that really sweet cream that would come in a tin. It was always a Sunday night treat for us.

Just looking for advice really, I am in the middle of a divorce and spitting the finances. I could keep the family home but it would leave me with very little (if any) money at the end of the month. I dont have any savings. How much do normal people have left over after bills etc? I cant ask my mates as its one of those subjects you just cant discuss. I know I am asking an impossible question but I cant decide what the best option is. I want to stay here and my children are very happy here but will the financial pressures be too much?
We arent on good wages, but after rent, bills and usual outgoings like food, we are left with £200ish. That goes towards our debt (we're on a DMP).

Reactions: 11
Tinned mandarins are perfect for a certain type of cheesecake. They were also 'poorly' food in our house when I was growing up, so I have a soft spot for them for that reason too.

Also love a tinned pear. The texture is v pleasing.

Up until recently, I had about £200 leftover after food/bills/essentials. It's not a very calm way to live I found - any extra expense was incredibly stressful and tbh I have a *thing* about money and find it all v stressful even in more solvent times - I managed it for about 18 months and really struggled with its effect on my head. Can you stay in the area, but in a cheaper place? Sorry, it's absolutely anecdata but having v little buffer was a horrible place to be in. I am v poor with money though, so I don't think that helped. I think maybe it depends on whether the house you're in now makes you very happy, if it does, maybe it's worth getting through a leaner time. Hah, not sure any of that was helpful, I will remove the splinters from my arse now.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Tinned mandarins are perfect for a certain type of cheesecake. They were also 'poorly' food in our house when I was growing up, so I have a soft spot for them for that reason too.

Also love a tinned pear. The texture is v pleasing.

Up until recently, I had about £200 leftover after food/bills/essentials. It's not a very calm way to live I found - any extra expense was incredibly stressful and tbh I have a *thing* about money and find it all v stressful even in more solvent times - I managed it for about 18 months and really struggled with its effect on my head. Can you stay in the area, but in a cheaper place? Sorry, it's absolutely anecdata but having v little buffer was a horrible place to be in. I am v poor with money though, so I don't think that helped. I think maybe it depends on whether the house you're in now makes you very happy, if it does, maybe it's worth getting through a leaner time. Hah, not sure any of that was helpful, I will remove the splinters from my arse now.
Its horrible isnt it! I am so anxious about money, to the point I cant log in and check our bank and Ive ended up in tears so often. Hate it.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
So the Aldi clothing is there really a market? I like Aldi but wouldn’t wear any clothing with a supermarket name on it ?

Reactions: 6
Thanks @EddieBeds
Also thanks @Falkor for the North Coast 500 suggestion. It’s not something I’d heard of before but googling it looks like that would be a great trip!
Would also love to do this, brother-in-law lives in Scotland and went with his girlfriend a few years back, we keep saying we need to go together and with the traditional family caravan nightmare cancelled this year and covid allowing it might finally be time. Always enjoyed journeys more than the actual holiday.

Reactions: 10
Would also love to do this, brother-in-law lives in Scotland and went with his girlfriend a few years back, we keep saying we need to go together and with the traditional family caravan nightmare cancelled this year and covid allowing it might finally be time. Always enjoyed journeys more than the actual holiday.
I'm desperate to do this too but will take @Falkor's advice and save it for another year or so!

My husband ordered a biscuit box from The Biscuit Baron. You can buy a one off box or subscribe and they send you biscuits from different countries each month. This month was France. It comes with a detailed booklet about the biscuits, info about the country, some puzzles and a page at the back where you can rate all the biscuits!

5A56E8F2-3972-4D20-9A81-F2C296C18808.jpeg

514E2624-1EDF-4A81-BE1E-6FA9588BEE17.jpeg

D6FAB070-B911-41F3-A601-9139E891904B.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
My husband ordered a biscuit box from The Biscuit Baron. You can buy a one off box or subscribe and they send you biscuits from different countries each month. This month was France. It comes with a detailed booklet about the biscuits, info about the country, some puzzles and a page at the back where you can rate all the biscuits!

What a brilliant idea! We are having our first team meeting soon so I might order a box for the team.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
What a brilliant idea! We are having our first team meeting soon so I might order a box for the team.
Oh I’ll have to tell my manager about them too and hopefully she’ll do the same for us 😂
I’ve started with the Prince ones and can confirm they are delicious!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Thanks @Flumps and @Begborrowsteal for your replies. I too will have £200 hundred pounds left over after paying everything and feel like that is do-able as I dont have expensive taste, just live in a decent house in a nice area which is all I want for me and my family. My children are both under 10 so I dont have the expense of teenagers which I can only assume gets worse. This chat and the MT has made me think so much about my spending habits. Before I split with the ex I had a stupid, unhappy six month period of buying things I could afford but didn't need as I was so miserable. No handbag or kitchen appliance made me feel better; lesson learnt.
I think I will try to stay in this house and budget. The past year has taught us all what is important. I'll skip the Viv dresses (its what she would have wanted).

• Heart
@Universal I found moneysavingexpert threads really helpful in the past. I’m essentially a money disaster zone at heart, but I make it look like I know what I’m doing. I managed on very little money for quite a while and I thought I was the dogs doodahs when I built up a small “emergency fund” of £100. For me it definitely helped that I treated money saving like a project or a game.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Colin and Cuthbert have their own thread? Is there fanfiction?
all life is here

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
@Universal Nothing earth shattering to add, but I found a spreadsheet with all my fixed outgoings plus the day they were due really useful for budgeting. Then on any day I knew x amount was still to come out before I was paid again. I also use a separate account for food / entertaining (ok, wine!) which also helps me stay within a fixed figure. I don't need to keep such a close eye on things now, but still do so I don't inflate my lifestyle too much or beyond my means.

Sounds like you are on the right track though

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.