Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Gorgeous day here today. The ladies are now in my field out on the point where there's still plenty of grass down the sides of the cliffs (the horses can't be bothered to go down there when they're in this field).

20210203_103756.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Gorgeous day here today. The ladies are now in my field out on the point where there's still plenty of grass down the sides of the cliffs (the horses can't be bothered to go down there when they're in this field).

I’m watching ‘This Farming Life’ and they’re lambing - likely due to hormones and the fact I’ve just fed BabyBeds but so emotional (as well as incredible) 😭. Made me think of you and your flock (is that the right term?) ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I’m watching ‘This Farming Life’ and they’re lambing - likely due to hormones and the fact I’ve just fed BabyBeds but so emotional (as well as incredible) 😭. Made me think of you and your flock (is that the right term?) ❤
It's a great programme and yes, right term :) The beach that you see Joyce Campbell walking her dogs on in the opening credits is the beach in my photo above. If they show her lambing next week you may see me pottering around in the background, she's a good friend of mine and I was working there over lambing last year because her Belgian vet students couldn't come over due to Covid. Hoping Frances didn't catch me on camera though (the production company's film crew wasn't allowed back on the farm just in case they brought Covid with them, so Joyce's niece did all the filming from March onwards).

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
aw, I thought of @Falkor too! ❤

It's a great programme and yes, right term :) The beach that you see Joyce Campbell walking her dogs on in the opening credits is the beach in my photo above. If they show her lambing next week you may see me pottering around in the background, she's a good friend of mine and I was working there over lambing last year because her Belgian vet students couldn't come over due to Covid. Hoping Frances didn't catch me on camera though (the production company's film crew wasn't allowed back on the farm just in case they brought Covid with them, so Joyce's niece did all the filming from March onwards).

I just made mr kcc jump exclaiming over this post! that's so cool!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I left a shepherds pie out overnight do you think it would be ok to eat? It was in tin foil I could kick myself but I put it in the fridge at about 8:15 this morning 🙄

ETA sorry to just bomb back in, hope everyone is well❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
I left a shepherds pie out overnight do you think it would be ok to eat? It was in tin foil I could kick myself but I put it in the fridge at about 8:15 this morning 🙄

I think it will be fine, tbh I am pretty lax about use by dates etc and I have never (touch wood) been ill from it! alternatively feel free to send it to me, I would love a shepherd's pie for dinner!

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I think it will be fine, tbh I am pretty lax about use by dates etc and I have never (touch wood) been ill from it! alternatively feel free to send it to me, I would love a shepherd's pie for dinner!
It tasted lush and was the first home made meal in a while so I’m so annoyed I wouldn’t be bothered about just me but my kid will eat it too. I think I’ll nuke it in the microwave (Nigella pronunciation) and risk it

• Heart
Reactions: 21
You’ll be reet just get it piping hot all the way through.
‘It’s hotter than the sun!’

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

It'll be fine! Unless you've left it somewhere too warm, I can't imagine it going bad overnight. Reheat it well and enjoy, bet it's yummy 🙌

• Heart
Reactions: 13
We do that most nights! Supper leftovers stay on the side by the window to cool overnight and then go into the fridge first thing in the morning. Been doing it for the best part of 15 years with meat dishes and no food poisoning yet :) Admittedly our kitchen is pretty Baltic.

Reactions: 18
The kitchen is kind of an old part of the house with no insulation I dunno what you call it - it’s quite cool, coldest part of the house anyway. I googled and most said noooooo but loads of mumsnetters said do it ha! I trust you lot not mumsnetters tho 🤣

eta - i mean I got a mumsnet thread when I googled, I wasn’t cheating on tattle

You’ll be reet just get it piping hot all the way through.
‘It’s hotter than the sun!’
🤣 I went to McDonald’s last week and we queued ages cos it was Friday night and when I got to the thing as usual I panic ordered and there was a sign saying two apple pies for £1.49 and my little girl was SO judgy! Two!? Two! I said but they’re on offer! She said I’d wasted my money, needless to say I had the last laugh as I scoffed both and it was delicious

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
I’ve nipped over from MT for a bit of relaxing sheep talk. This is surely the most kind and lovely thread on the Internet.

@SoulRebel I love what you did with the kitchen. I think we’re at home so much these days, it’s so nice to have things the way you actually want them. It reminded me of (now disgraced) Sarah Akwisombe’s old kitchen. Yellows and a sort of Yves Klein blue, looked fabulous.

What a tit week of more lockdown. Busy and tit. I feel like I’m constantly on here amusing myself, but in between doing so many things. I’d better not get burnout because I’m not having anything JM has fake had!!

After I stopped procrastinating and going over how impossible it is to homeschool three small kids, work, study, and have building work done, I actually made a good dinner. It was nice to just concentrate on one thing for a while.

I had a huge organic chicken delivered today, 2.2kgs, so I roasted it with a lemon, an onion, garlic, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme in the cavity. Basted with about 100g of butter. Once it was done I made a sort of buttery white wine herby sauce in the tray, oh and the garlic I’d put in the bottom of the tray I squeezed out and mashed into potatoes with a bit of whole grain mustard, more butter and cream. Had on the side lovely tenderstem broccoli, baby carrots, and some yellow French beans from a tin I’d bought in France about two years ago but were totally fine. I’ll make noodle soup with the leftover chicken bones and meat tomorrow.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I’ve nipped over from MT for a bit of relaxing sheep talk. This is surely the most kind and lovely thread on the Internet.

@SoulRebel I love what you did with the kitchen. I think we’re at home so much these days, it’s so nice to have things the way you actually want them. It reminded me of (now disgraced) Sarah Akwisombe’s old kitchen. Yellows and a sort of Yves Klein blue, looked fabulous.

What a tit week of more lockdown. Busy and tit. I feel like I’m constantly on here amusing myself, but in between doing so many things. I’d better not get burnout because I’m not having anything JM has fake had!!

After I stopped procrastinating and going over how impossible it is to homeschool three small kids, work, study, and have building work done, I actually made a good dinner. It was nice to just concentrate on one thing for a while.

I had a huge organic chicken delivered today, 2.2kgs, so I roasted it with a lemon, an onion, garlic, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme in the cavity. Basted with about 100g of butter. Once it was done I made a sort of buttery white wine herby sauce in the tray, oh and the garlic I’d put in the bottom of the tray I squeezed out and mashed into potatoes with a bit of whole grain mustard, more butter and cream. Had on the side lovely tenderstem broccoli, baby carrots, and some yellow French beans from a tin I’d bought in France about two years ago but were totally fine. I’ll make noodle soup with the leftover chicken bones and meat tomorrow.
Arggghh this is my dream meal! You just can't beat a big butter basted roast chicken.

We're having pulled pork with chips and coleslaw tonight, just getting ready to take it out the oven and drinking a beer and watching I May Destroy You in the kitchen...finally got around to it after it's been in the media a lot lately and it really is incredible! So much nuance. Has anyone else seen it? Michaela Cole is a genius.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
@SoulRebel your kitchen looks amazing! I'm in awe.

Very quiet here apart from all the upcoming election drama (of which we have a LOT).Our lockdown restrictions have been lifted very slightly and will stay until the 22nd at the earliest. I'm grumpy because I need a haircut and my hairdresser, who is a genius, is in another city that I can't get to. Still, it's not like I'm going anywhere, so I can rock the overgrown hedge look for a while I guess...

I realise this is the epitome of first world problems right now, but eh. I promise I won't be giving myself a reverse rat tail, at least.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Arggghh this is my dream meal! You just can't beat a big butter basted roast chicken.

We're having pulled pork with chips and coleslaw tonight, just getting ready to take it out the oven and drinking a beer and watching I May Destroy You in the kitchen...finally got around to it after it's been in the media a lot lately and it really is incredible! So much nuance. Has anyone else seen it? Michaela Cole is a genius.
Pp chips and coleslaw is quality!

I haven’t seen I May Destroy You yet because I’m ‘saving’ it for when, I don’t know. Some stuff that has had rave reviews and I know will be good, I save for when I feel like I’ll give it my best concentration. Not sure when the magical future of not being overwhelmed will be happening, but that’s the day I’ll watch IMDY. I bloody loved Bridgerton, though. Perfectly designed for lockdown stress I reckon.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Everyone's talking about delicious pies, roast chicken and pulled pork and here I am with a colossal mushroom 🥴 I made baked beans and hash browns and had some Morrisons vegan sausages as well, I'm not quite vegan enough to eat just a mushroom.

colossal mushroom.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Everyone's talking about delicious pies, roast chicken and pulled pork and here I am with a colossal mushroom 🥴 I made baked beans and hash browns and had some Morrisons vegan sausages as well, I'm not quite vegan enough to eat just a mushroom.

View attachment 421415
Your meals sounds delightful. Big fan of mushrooms and everything else you list. Hope you were throwing some shapes to the onion song in the background. Turn that tempo dowwwwn!

• Haha
Reactions: 13

How was your shepherds pie in the end?

I had raw onion in my salad last night and it’s still all I can taste this morning 👅

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.