Food and Drink #15 Christmas time, here’s our toes and wine

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Baked Camembert with garlic studs, rosemary and olive oil is the bomb. Mmmmmm.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Does anyone like marrons glace (candied chestnuts)?? My granddad loooooved them (he was a French teacher) and we would always have them for Christmas but I've not had one since he died. Think it might be time to resurrect the tradition, although a box of 6 is like a tenner :eek: soooo delicious though.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Does anyone like marrons glace (candied chestnuts)?? My granddad loooooved them (he was a French teacher) and we would always have them for Christmas but I've not had one since he died. Think it might be time to resurrect the tradition, although a box of 6 is like a tenner :eek: soooo delicious though.

this is a new thing and it looks delicious

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I was made to stuff these with marzipan and roll in cocoa powder or sugar.

Please, please, please can someone else tell me they did this?

ETA I do not do this now.
We used to have them and stuff them with marzipan. No rolling action though.

Now my mum buys dates stuffed with things, including marzipan, like these:

So it's definitely a thing. It is. It is.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I love a mince pie now, after always disliking them as a child. Still nope to Christmas pud though, and nope to Christmas cake. Think I prefer Christmas savouries, cheese, chutney, pickles and the like.

Christmas Eve we usually have a baked camembert with other nibbles, but this year I'm tempted to try the Hairy Bikers' recipe for a cheese and beer fondue 😋.

My appetite has returned after my crappy bit, but my motivation hasn't, so tonight's sophisticated dinner is courtesy of the kebab shop. Cheeseburger with burger sauce and all the kebab salad, chips and a pot of gravy so thick I can stand my chips in it. Love it 😁.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Oh my god I’ve never heard of it and now there’s nothing I want more

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I looove mince pies, I’m yearning for them now.

Seeing this is the festive edition I thought I’d pop in to see if anyone has any suggestions for non alcoholic drinks with a bit of a fancy feel to them?

I don’t drink alcohol any more and don’t particularly miss the alcohol but I do miss a wee something with a sense of occasion.

Reactions: 15
Gotta have schloer at Christmas!
my grandma may she rest in peace made me lol once asking for a J-Lo

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

Seeing this is the festive edition I thought I’d pop in to see if anyone has any suggestions for non alcoholic drinks with a bit of a fancy feel to them?

I don’t drink alcohol any more and don’t particularly miss the alcohol but I do miss a wee something with a sense of occasion.
Fentimans sparkling drinks are good, some interesting flavours and no horrid sweeteners. I also like making punch like concoctions with sparkling water and various fruit juices, lemon/lime slices, maybe pomegranate seeds or something similarly festive. Or grown up cordials made with sparkling water, like the Belvoir ones or Bottlegreen ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I was made to stuff these with marzipan and roll in cocoa powder or sugar.

Please, please, please can someone else tell me they did this?

ETA I do not do this now.
Yes. Every Christmas! And also stuff prunes with fondant icing. Can’t stand either as a result!

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Eggnog without alcohol added? Not sure it gets more festive than that.

Fentimans sparkling drinks are good, some interesting flavours and no horrid sweeteners. I also like making punch like concoctions with sparkling water and various fruit juices, lemon/lime slices, maybe pomegranate seeds or something similarly festive. Or grown up cordials made with sparkling water, like the Belvoir ones or Bottlegreen ☺
Belvoir have a festive mulled punch. Their ginger cordial is nice warmed up too (also good if you're ill).

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I'm not keen on mince pies generally, but I still actually reminisce about some I had from a posh bakery years ago - mini puff pastry ones, still warm, with a ramekin of clotted cream for dipping.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
I love mince pies with brandy butter; Christmas pudding is really just a vehicle for brandy butter. Our family recipe involves adding as much brandy as the butter and icing sugar mixture can take, and keeping it in the fridge until use so it doesn't go liquid.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Ooh yes, all right up my street, thank you. It’s gotta be Shloer at Christmas dinner of course.

Reactions: 12
This is OT, but I need to express my views.
Does anyone else listen to the Sounds podcast of the Grenfell Inquiry?
I have listened from the first one. I’m up to 132 now. It’s horrifying how all the build and design firms are passing the buck to each other. The tories have made the Building Compliance departments “commercial “. If they don’t get the work from building firms they are in financial trouble.
I knew the world had a lot of corruption and greed, but listening to the evidence is shocking.
Today’s episode was all about the ways the cladding firms lied about the combust ability of the materials use to clad the building.
Sorry if I’ve brought down the mood here.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
[/Q
This is OT, but I need to express my views.
Does anyone else listen to the Sounds podcast of the Grenfell Inquiry?
I have listened from the first one. I’m up to 132 now. It’s horrifying how all the build and design firms are passing the buck to each other. The tories have made the Building Compliance departments “commercial “. If they don’t get the work from building firms they are in financial trouble.
I knew the world had a lot of corruption and greed, but listening to the evidence is shocking.
Today’s episode was all about the ways the cladding firms lied about the combust ability of the materials use to clad the building.
Sorry if I’ve brought down the mood here.
I didn’t know there was a podcast but I’ve been watching the news reports on the enquiry. It’s gobsmacking.

Reactions: 6
@Blurp I thought that fluff collection was a photo of Nibbles or Loppy, good lord.

I wish I hadn't read all this Christmas food chat right before bed, now I'm going to be lying awake thinking about gingerbread, mince pies, stollen, dates and marrons glacés. I found maple and pecan mincemeat in Sainsbury's the other day but am yet to make any mince pies with it.

There is a final instalment of my seasonal wardrobe and I already know this one's going to be divisive. I won't take any :sick: reactions personally.

20201208_201010.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.