Food and Drink #15 Christmas time, here’s our toes and wine

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
where did you get the cookies from?
My very talented friend baked them (delivered to my doorstep in tupperware!!)

She's a fantastic baker, but the absolute worst if you're trying to diet - pre covid she used to just randomly make chocolate cookies/cake/brownies and thrust them upon you at gatherings 😄 I have zero baking/cooking skill so i just look at the cakes and meals in this thread like 🤤🤤🤤

Deffo gonna check out those cinnamon stars 👀

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I can't cope with mince pies, christmas pudding or christmas cake.

Give me all the stollen Germany has to offer though! Germany and Italy have everything right with their christmas baked goods ❤
Babe, same. I’ve never tried stollen though. Not a fan of marzipan so it puts me off. Just give me all the gingerbread.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
My very talented friend baked them (delivered to my doorstep in tupperware!!)

She's a fantastic baker, but the absolute worst if you're trying to diet - pre covid she used to just randomly make chocolate cookies/cake/brownies and thrust them upon you at gatherings 😄 I have zero baking/cooking skill so i just look at the cakes and meals in this thread like 🤤🤤🤤
Do you have any pictures of the cookies? I love chewy molasses ginger cookies at this time of year.

Reactions: 8
Lidl and Aldi have been full of stollen and lebkuchen and much more for weeks now. I prefer stollen bites to the loaf but like to buy a loaf when they're half price after Christmas to make bread and butter pudding. Leave out the butter and dried fruit because of the marzipan and dried fruit in the stollen, pour over a proper egg custard and bake. It's brilliant for pudding on Ne'erday.

I know the MT doesn't like floof but I think this is the definition of it...

20201207_134733.jpg

20201208_162533.jpg

20201208_162505.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
Yes to stollen! Lidl usually has good stolen and stollen bites. I looked at the reviews for the Waitrose stollen and they were not good.
Last year I bought a pack of Lidl stollen bites. I ate the whole pack. They were delicious 😍

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Frauen, I am in a lousy post work mood today. Fortunately, this print I ordered came in the post earlier and it's still making me HOOT every time I look at it...
IMG_20201208_184348.jpg
🔺

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I can't cope with mince pies, christmas pudding or christmas cake.

Give me all the stollen Germany has to offer though! Germany and Italy have everything right with their christmas baked goods ❤
Not too keen on stollen tbh. A bit too stodgy for my tastes. But I'll have any mince pies apple pies or Christmas cake!:)

Reactions: 6
I’ve just Googled stollen and I don’t think I’d be keen, those bits of lemon peel you seem to get in dried fruit etc at Christmas give me the gipps. I love pastry though so I usually shcoop the mince out of the inner sanctum and just eat the outer pie.

Also as a kid I used to always take the sausage out the middle of the roll and give it my dad so I could just have the pastry. Now my youngest only eats the sausage and not the pastry so we must go to every buffet event together and my dad gets nothing. Poor dad.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Oh @Flumps that sounds amazing having frangipane with mince pies! I love almonds/marzipan so big fan of stollen. I love normal mince pies too, all of them. I also love Christmas cake 🤣

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
I can only eat mince pies warm really and not too deep filled.

stollen bites are the best. I had a box of M&S ones last week and they were 👌🏻

Xmas cake is so-so and Xmas pud I’m not bothered by and would rather Yule log or trifle for my Xmas day dessert.

Reactions: 10
It’s all bloody dried fruit at Christmas time and I cannot abide the smell or texture of dried fruit

• Heart
It’s all bloody dried fruit at Christmas time and I cannot abide the smell or texture of dried fruit
Same with dates!

I'm sure they hibernate for 11 months before appearing around Christmas time.

My parents and grand parents love them, but they just don't look at all appetizing to my eyes

Reactions: 9
It’s nice that at Christmas there’s no rules about what time of the day you can eat chocolate though

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Ooooh, who said stollen? I love the Lidl mini ones. (I've got a choice of Tesco, Lidl or Co-Op unless I want to drive for a minimum of 2 hours each way).

A friend got a box of the Lidl Extremely Chocolatey biscuits the other day and said they definitely live up to their name.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Also as a kid I used to always take the sausage out the middle of the roll and give it my dad so I could just have the pastry. Now my youngest only eats the sausage and not the pastry so we must go to every buffet event together and my dad gets nothing. Poor dad.
I do the same with the big ones like at Gregg’s. Just give me the lovely, flakey pastry and forget the bollock sausage. I love little party sausage rolls though. Perfect sausage/pastry ratio. The ones you have to cook yourself though until golden and flakey, not the ready-cooked ones in the chilled aisle. I’ve clearly given too much thought to this.

Same with dates!

I'm sure they hibernate for 11 months before appearing around Christmas time.

My parents and grand parents love them, but they just don't look at all appetizing to my eyes
I don’t mind dates but usually in stuff like a sticky toffee pudding. My parents would always have a pack of these at Christmas.

579677D2-DC52-47B7-8065-39788820B16E.jpeg

• Heart
I do the same with the big ones like at Gregg’s. Just give me the lovely, flakey pastry and forget the bollock sausage. I love little party sausage rolls though. Perfect sausage/pastry ratio. The ones you have to cook yourself though until golden and flakey, not the ready-cooked ones in the chilled aisle. I’ve clearly given too much thought to this.
yes the ones that are bitesize! I love those as well and not worth unwrapping the sausage. I don’t think too much thought can ever be given to food, I love it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I make lovely mince pies that have a little layer of orange flavoured cream cheesecake kind of stuff on top of the mince under the lovely pastry which has orange zest in mmmmmmmm so good

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I love the cheese & crackers best about Xmas
had my first baked Camembert last Christmas and realised I had been missing out on life for 32 years 🧀

I make lovely mince pies that have a little layer of orange flavoured cream cheesecake kind of stuff on top of the mince under the lovely pastry which has orange zest in mmmmmmmm so good
well that sounds lovely and very creative! I would deffo try the cheesecakey bit before I shcooped the mincemeat out and subtly wiped it on a napkin 😂

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.