Food and Drink #15 Christmas time, here’s our toes and wine

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well, well, well ... done! To that ruddy lovely @Alansbigplate 🎉

Will this thread bring us to all the way to Christmas? Going to kick off a Christmassy discussion and put to the floor the topic of mince pies.

I’m currently trying the Lidl deluxe mince pies. Verdict: Not too deep with the mince (which I like), the pastry is crumbly and short, and it tastes pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Some words we use on here and what they mean
Lots of us on here originate from the Jack Monroe threads, and because of this we use some in-joke words and phrases. Everyone is welcome, of course, so here is a post from Switch that might help:
I love that we've organically basically created our own phrases and words – it’s like the Internet equivalent of a regional accent!

All are welcome here! Please do feel free to talk about food/drink/life in general! To avoid any confusion some common things/words you might see:

Fraus / frauen – the witty ladies and gentlemen of the Jack Monroe threads were once referred to as a ‘a cabal of sad little hausfraus’ or something like it and we all loved it and adopted it as a term of endearment (so you may see someone say ‘hey fraus!’ Or ‘how are the cabal today?’ Or sometimes bastardised to 'canal') 😂

🔺️ – triangulation warning! (as in to make yourself potentially locatable/identifiable to a washed up food blogger with a 100% success rate in court and an obsession with tattlers)

Grunking/having a grunka/a grunka lunka – to catch up on lots of posts (named after the wonderful @GrunkaLunka )

'Now duck off xx' – you might see us put this at the end of our posts, but we're just joking around don't worry!

‘I’M BUSY/something about a piss and a sandwich’ again mocking Jack Monroe who on #31 of her threads joined Tattle and tried to turn it into her bloody diary with a bunch of long self pitying posts, but had the nerve to ask if she ‘could go now’ for a piss and a sandwich to which the cabal were like ... ‘Yes please. Go. We have been telling you to leave for hours.’

ALSO:

MT or Mother Thread means the Jack Monroe thread.
  1. We might mention Vladimir Putin / ‘Vlad’ and be paid with bitcoin.
  2. Please feel welcome to join in - the thread is about food and drink, but also everything and anything else.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
I can't cope with mince pies, christmas pudding or christmas cake.

Give me all the stollen Germany has to offer though! Germany and Italy have everything right with their christmas baked goods ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 22
If I’m deadly honest, I don’t really like mince pies for the mince, I just like the pastry 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
Love to you all, especially fellow stollen fans 💕

Ive seen some sloe gin mince pies in asda 👀

Reactions: 17
My mother does the best mince pies on the planet.
Makes her own mincemeat.
Makes the best pastry, it's a rich sweet shortcrust pastry that is so crumbly and delicious.
She is a victim of her own success, because anyone who tries them loves them and then she adds them to "the list".
She is up to 20 doz / year now !

• Heart
Reactions: 20
If I’m deadly honest, I don’t really like mince pies for the mince, I just like the pastry 😂
Oh no! It’s so difficult to find good shop bought mince pies so I quite often just eat the filling. Served warm with custard is good.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Yes to stollen! Lidl usually has good stolen and stollen bites. I looked at the reviews for the Waitrose stollen and they were not good.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
All shop bought mince pies have been ruined for me since I made the frangipane topped ones from Nigella's HTBADG. Nothing else comes close. There's also a recipe for rhubarb mincemeat and the two combined are <chef's kiss>. I've seen some shop versions with frangipane on them the last couple of years, but they aren't quite the same.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
Stollen is my favourite Christmas thing. Best one is the one from the in-store bakery in Morrison's. It's lush. Even my extremely stollen-snobbish mother thinks it's the best one around.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Yes to stollen! Lidl usually has good stolen and stollen bites. I looked at the reviews for the Waitrose stollen and they were not good.
I had some Waitrose stollen one year at a John Lewis Christmas night and it was underwhelming.

I like M&S collection stollen a little bit too much.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Oh no! It’s so difficult to find good shop bought mince pies so I quite often just eat the filling. Served warm with custard is good.
My favourite way is with hidden brandy butter.

I prise the lid off with a sharp knife, then pop in a knob of brandy butter. Pop the lid back on and 10 seconds in the microwave. When you bite in you get buttery brandy-y mince pie utopia

All shop bought mince pies have been ruined for me since I made the frangipane topped ones from Nigella's HTBADG. Nothing else comes close. There's also a recipe for rhubarb mincemeat and the two combined are <chef's kiss>. I've seen some shop versions with frangipane on them the last couple of years, but they aren't quite the same.

Ohhh that sounds great, I love frangipane like in a Bakewell tart or a pear and frangipane tart

• Heart
For South London fraus, the Blackbird Bakery pies are quite nice, they have several types including one with a crumble top. They have quite a few bakeries dotted around and there is one within walking distance of me. I also really rate the Konditor and Cook ones but they are spendy. They do deliver country wide though. Sadly they have closed their Borough Market shop but the original one in Waterloo is still open as well as their other shops. They keep really well. K&C also do lovely little packages of German biscuits including cinnamon stars.

I had some Waitrose stollen one year at a John Lewis Christmas night and it was underwhelming.

I like M&S collection stollen a little bit too much.
I haven't tried their version yet. 😋

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15

Will this thread bring us to all the way to Christmas? Going to kick off a Christmassy discussion and put to the floor the topic of mince pies.

I’m currently trying the Lidl deluxe mince pies. Verdict: Not too deep with the mince (which I like), the pastry is crumbly and short, and it tastes pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.
View attachment 339524

Lots of us on here originate from the Jack Monroe threads, and because of this we use some in-joke words and phrases. Everyone is welcome, of course, so here is a post from Switch that might help:
I love that we've organically basically created our own phrases and words – it’s like the Internet equivalent of a regional accent!

All are welcome here! Please do feel free to talk about food/drink/life in general! To avoid any confusion some common things/words you might see:

Fraus / frauen – the witty ladies and gentlemen of the Jack Monroe threads were once referred to as a ‘a cabal of sad little hausfraus’ or something like it and we all loved it and adopted it as a term of endearment (so you may see someone say ‘hey fraus!’ Or ‘how are the cabal today?’ Or sometimes bastardised to 'canal') 😂

🔺️ – triangulation warning! (as in to make yourself potentially locatable/identifiable to a washed up food blogger with a 100% success rate in court and an obsession with tattlers)

Grunking/having a grunka/a grunka lunka – to catch up on lots of posts (named after the wonderful @GrunkaLunka )

'Now duck off xx' – you might see us put this at the end of our posts, but we're just joking around don't worry!

‘I’M BUSY/something about a piss and a sandwich’ again mocking Jack Monroe who on #31 of her threads joined Tattle and tried to turn it into her bloody diary with a bunch of long self pitying posts, but had the nerve to ask if she ‘could go now’ for a piss and a sandwich to which the cabal were like ... ‘Yes please. Go. We have been telling you to leave for hours.’

ALSO:

2. Please feel welcome to join in - the thread is about food and drink, but also everything and anything else.
Luvin the spoiler 👍 maybe a mention of our honoury frau 🥕 autocarrot 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Pictures of Konditor and Cook Christmas items. Lemon moons, cinnamon stars, kipferls and mince pies. I love their biscuits too.
EC99C341-0546-43BA-AFAC-3DF62C6A26C0.jpeg
A158B45C-8382-48B0-9A93-78C2A122785B.jpeg
2F58A1B1-9CA7-489D-9176-A04A8A1F455B.jpeg
A0BBDF15-2A60-4D5D-A34A-835439CBECE2.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow

View attachment 339524

ALSO:

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.