Flop pop acts from the 90s and 00s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was such a little pop tart in the 90s/00s so I'm absolutely OBSESSED with this thread, and remember all the acts that have already been mentioned.

I'm in the process of putting together a playlist on Spotify with names from this thread and some others who either made it big in 90s/00s or were destined to be the 'next big thing'.

FYI V's album was really good and Triple 8 had a lot of potential.

Reactions: 8
I'm enjoying this thread! I loved Shampoo and I really wish they'd reform. I also bought Adam Rickett's album, which was pretty good! And Andreas Johnson's, which was not.

I'm more of an indie kid but then in the 90s the line between pop and indie was much more blurred, with the chart full of indie hits. Someone mentioned Geneva, I saw them in '97, they have reformed now! Someone else mentioned Curve who were one of my favourite bands, I saw them in '97 too.

I was in Australia in the first half on the 90s and I can remember a lot of dodgy Aus pop acts - a soap star called Melissa Tkautz, a girl group called Girlfriend, another singer called Colette. Not sure if any of them made it in the UK. Then there was Tina Arena who did have some UK hits, but she couldn't be described as a flop as she's had a long musical theatre career I think.

Reactions: 8
Lemar? Loved "dance with u".

Sadly Jo died fairly suddenly a few years ago 😢

Does anyone remember a song from around 2003. I think it was something like "F.u I don't want you back" or they were lines in the song? Then there was a female version?
Male one by Eamon? F it?

Reactions: 4

I bet the subscription sites are wondering why there's been an upturn in 90/00s downloads. Petition for MrsB to get royalties 😃

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11

I bet the subscription sites are wondering why there's been an upturn in 90/00s downloads. Petition for MrsB to get royalties 😃
Oh yes, Kenickie. The main singer Lauren Laverne became a TV presenter

Donna Air doing an Ant & Dec in Crush by going from Byker Grove to pop career (of course not as successful as A&D/PJ & Duncan were) to tv presenter

Reactions: 5
About twenty years ago there was this weird channel on Sky Digital that was back-to-back devoted to an ‘up and coming’ singer called ‘Angelle’ as she desperately tried to promote her single. I think it was her one and only single. Quite pretty but a less-than-average singer.

I’m not joking, the entire channel was this single music video plus studio interviews with her, and clips of her doing nationwide appearances (dead shopping malls, secondary schools, that kind of thing).

iirc the channel’s presenter was that bloke who presents Dragons Den.

This is the definition of flippity-flappity-flop.

I remember this, it was so weird. Wasn't the story that she was a dating/engaged to/married to someone extremely rich who essentially bought the channel for her? It was absolutely horrendous.

EDIT: Just had a listen, it was a bit of a banger in a trashy eurodance kinda way.

Reactions: 3
I remember this, it was so weird. Wasn't the story that she was a dating/engaged to/married to someone extremely rich who essentially bought the channel for her? It was absolutely horrendous.

EDIT: Just had a listen, it was a bit of a banger in a trashy eurodance kinda way.
It would’ve been an alright-ish generic dance tune of its time…had it been sung by someone else, who could actually sing 😂

I did read in passing, years ago, that it was her bloke that was the brains (well, funds!) behind the channel, and I didn’t know whether to believe it or not cos the whole concept/set up was just so weird! In fact probably the weirdest tv channel I’ve ever watched.

Reactions: 1
Does anyone remember Totally Frank? It used to be on T4 on a Sunday after the Hollyoaks omnibus. It was scripted but the band was real. They seemed to disappear after the show.

Reactions: 2
Does anyone remember Totally Frank? It used to be on T4 on a Sunday after the Hollyoaks omnibus. It was scripted but the band was real. They seemed to disappear after the show.
Yep, I'm pretty sure they were going to be another Xenomania act (ala Girls Aloud, Mini Viva etc..)

Reactions: 1
Angelle even had her on channel on Sky to promote her single. Does anyone else remember that? All it did was play Joy and Pain over and over again, mixed in with interviews with Angelle.

Reactions: 2
Someone mentioned Geneva, I saw them in '97, they have reformed now!
That were me!!!! Into the Blue is one of my absolute favourite songs, I have no idea why they were not massive.

Another band I liked was The Music but again they didn't really get anywhere, it was something to do with their name (e.g if you typed The Music in t'internet, you got a million results for anything and everything to do with music - except for the actual band

Anyway - Soup Dragons 'I'm Free'

4 Non Blondes

Soho - Hippy Chick

China Black - Searching

Those two Russian girls pretending to be lesbians

Mr Blobby

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16