Fathering Autism #91 Big P's cankles bring all the humpers to the yard!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Guess what - my NT children hated to have splinters removed, stitches, xrays. But I didn't ignore the injury because it was easier for me. Ugh. They don't deserve her.
Me too. I screamed when my mom got splinters out of me. My daughter had one in preschool that took me and my husband to try and get it out and finally me holding her and my mom getting it out. She hated it, she cried, but she got over it and her hand felt a lot better.

Reactions: 18
The thing is, Abbie would probably be EASIER to deal with if she were not sick or in pain. I'm reminded of a momcat on Kitten Academy (a YouTube channel of rescued kittens and moms). Anyway this momcat was excessively hostile towards her older kittens. Some hostility is normal as momcats separate from their kittens, but she was clearly out of the norm. Turns out the cat family was suffering from a stomach bug. Once that was cleared up, she behaved normally around her kittens. Aren't we all extra crabby when we're ailing?

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I wouldn't take my child to the doctor for a sprain. But I would treat it. If it didn't improve then yup. Time for an x-ray. If that makes me a tit parent oh well. I know how to treat bumps, bruises, and sprains on my own. And have all the braces, wraps, and bandages I need for it. My child can also communicate with me about pain and symptoms. If Abbie lived in my home she would have already seen someone. There is no way to know how bad her injury is. Even if she expresses pain or discomfort they ignore it anyway.

But I would never neglect my childs needs... sit on my ass and watch them in pain.
No, I certainly wasn't saying a sprain needs an ER visit or that you're a crappy parent!!
My concern is the bruising and swelling they so happily showed in the vlog - that could be a sprain, but that's also a warning sign for a fracture. It's one thing to keep an eye on things/treat at home for a twisted ankle that's causing some pain and limping. That's normal. But when the child has no way to communicate how much pain they're in combined with mottled bruising and a swollen joint? Ugh. How dare they?

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I'm not gonna sit here and pretend everyone in the medical field is great at their jobs...but we are all trained and we all should be able to deal with patients who are too young to understand the need to be still, or have an altered mental status that makes it impossible for them to follow directions, or are simply too aggressive due to delerium or psychosis or what have you. Babies get x-rayed all the time. People with dementia get x-rayed all the time. Every radiology tech, PCA/CNA, and nurse has been trained in methods to help someone like Abbie safely and effectively get an x-ray. A&P are absolute garbage people.

To be fair, a sprain and a fracture can look identical from the outside...when I had the extremely painful sprain I wrote about earlier, the urgent care staff was so sure I had a fracture based on the swelling, bruising, lack of mobility, and level of pain that they actually doubted their own x-rays. The doctor there told me to follow up if the mobility didn't improve in a few days, because she thought perhaps I had a fracture that was too thin or not displaced enough to see on the x-ray. But in my case, it was all because I didn't take care of it properly...when I should have known better, because I was two semesters into nursing school and totally knew the proper first aid! 😬

Also a sprain isn't necessarily less severe than a fracture. You can have a non-displaced hairline fracture that heals quickly and requires little to no treatment, while a a Grade 3 sprain is a full tear of the ligament and can cause permanent disability in the joint...and may require prolonged bracing, casting, or even surgery for effective healing.
I don't disagree. But being honest and saying I wouldn't take my children to the doctor unless I thought it was necessary. My kids can tell me how bad something hurts... if the pain is constant or situational. A lot also depend on how well the injury reacted to common sense treatment. I do have first aid training. I am not saying what is or isn't serious...

But in Abbie's case it would be necessary because she can not communicate or reason. And her parents are idiots.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Me too. I screamed when my mom got splinters out of me. My daughter had one in preschool that took me and my husband to try and get it out and finally me holding her and my mom getting it out. She hated it, she cried, but she got over it and her hand felt a lot better.
My mom loves to remind me that when I was 4 years old, it took 3 nurses, my mom, and one angry doctor to give me my booster shots. After my first dentist visit at 6 they gave me a sticker that said, "I PITCHED A FIT AT THE DENTIST OFFICE". Did I have to keep going to the dr and dentist? YOU BET!

• Haha
Reactions: 22
And their "she has a high tolerance for pain" excuse - that would be even more reason to have it looked at. It could be much worse because she has a high pain tolerance.
Exactly. And I think it is more she doesn't understand the pain more than tolerating it. Plus not like she can communicate something hurts or how it hurts. So it would be even more important to seek professional opinion

Reactions: 15
So, a non-verbal special-needs girl rolls her ankle and continues limping on it. At what point does anyone even remotely consider getting an x-ray
But they were all over Isaiah about getting an x-ray when he hurt his toe back a few months ago...he was still in Boone.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
A cousin with three tweens and teens complained she went through 10 gallons of milk last week. Her boys are in multiple summer sports and her food costs have soared this summer.
I’m one of five and we are all 12-14 months apart from each other. My mothers food bill was astronomical weekly with several gallons of milk

Reactions: 16
No, I certainly wasn't saying a sprain needs an ER visit or that you're a crappy parent!!
My concern is the bruising and swelling they so happily showed in the vlog - that could be a sprain, but that's also a warning sign for a fracture. It's one thing to keep an eye on things/treat at home for a twisted ankle that's causing some pain and limping. That's normal. But when the child has no way to communicate how much pain they're in combined with mottled bruising and a swollen joint? Ugh. How dare they?
Totally agree with you. I did not see the vlog or see what they showed.

They have a tendency to ignore sickness and injury in Abbie. They even use it as content. It really is appalling

• Heart
I don't disagree. But being honest and saying I wouldn't take my children to the doctor unless I thought it was necessary. My kids can tell me how bad something hurts... if the pain is constant or situational. A lot also depend on how well the injury reacted to common sense treatment. I do have first aid training. I am not saying what is or isn't serious...

But in Abbie's case it would be necessary because she can not communicate or reason. And her parents are idiots.
Well, yes, I agree with you there πŸ˜‚ I was more thinking about A&P brushing it off as "just a sprain" as a reason to not do anything about it...because it shows how these so-called "health advocates" are both uneducated goons.

The other thing is, in Abbie's case, you can't even rely on whether she stops limping or the swelling goes down as an accurate indicator...because as I mentioned, some sprains can be really severe and result in permanent issues, and limping/swelling is not the only indicator of damage. Eventually a Grade 3 sprain will heal, even without treatment, but she may have a permanent reduction in strength or range of motion in that joint. And she will never be able to tell them that her ankle feels weird, or keeps giving out on her. She will just avoid activities, continue to have behavioral issues from the discomfort or from them forcing her to do things that aren't comfortable for her, and be at risk for more injuries down the line.

It's one thing to be like, "Well, let's wait and see" with a kid who can accurately report how they're feeling...it's another thing completely to just decline treatment for someone who can't communicate, especially if, like A&P, you don't even know how to provide basic first aid. You mentioned you know how to wrap, bandage, provide ice etc. for minor injuries...that's what you're supposed to do to prevent the injury from deteriorating, so you can get an idea of if it's getting better or not! But they don't even bother to wrap it, they just let her walk around on it so it can become more injured and more inflamed, which makes it even harder to guess what's going on! They are truly the dumbest goddamn people on Earth!

Editing just to say @SCCOct66 put it exactly right, they don't deserve her. She does her best with what she's got...and they are absolute dickknuckles who can't even be arsed to put forth a mediocre effort at parenting her, let alone giving it their best.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
This made me sick. This video is from Abbie's 13th bday which coincided with Surfer's for Autism. Asa, as usual gets all low-voice-serious-talky about things. But he does admit Abbie's extreme developmental delay. He gets teary and Pig just sits there quietly. When he gets done, she says straight faced, serious as a heart attack and says "I'm not crying". How f'ing cold blooded. Nothing he said struck a chord with her because all she cares about is herself View attachment 633043
They were right near me and I attempted to go see them at the beach. However there was nowhere to park, so I nixed that plan. Needless to say, I didn’t hate them back then.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Anyone else blessed to see, or to be humored by the Noom weight loss ad mid vlog on YouTube? 😁 Usually it is a trusty Zaxby’s commercial...go figure.
Anywhooooo🐬
I loved the irony of said commercial and figured it was the mighty Universe’s signal saying: Go ahead Meow...take advantage! Have some fun! 😹🐽😹
D340B19A-BFD0-4D53-882F-6007DC4E3E6A.jpeg
7DDAA88A-FEA4-4695-9B89-49CE1555BB83.jpeg
4051008C-F7FB-4FB0-86D8-E631A1CF6F40.jpeg
5A0B811E-615A-433E-BF7A-F783F7FB3950.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
I’m one of five and we are all 12-14 months apart from each other. My mothers food bill was astronomical weekly with several gallons of milk
I'm one of nine and I remember only one of us was summoned to go to the grocery store to help her because we'd fill the entire back of the station wagon with food bags. That was bi-weekly but of course there would be weekly runs for more milk. :m:m:m

Reactions: 15
I'm catching up on last night's debacle and I just...can't get over the ankle thing. I cannot believe how they basically laughed off a swollen, bruised ankle that's causing her to limp!! I'm disgusted and angry. I can't fathom choosing to ignore such an obvious injury in either of my children, let alone filming a broken looking ankle and half-laughing about the whole thing for the internet.
Autism awareness would have been a discussion about how to manage injuries in autistic children, how to navigate health care in an urgent situation, how to advocate for a child who cannot communicate. That would have been content in line with what they claim to stand for, and it would have been somewhat helpful content.
I agree with all you said!! That is what good parents do, we access the situation and err on the side of caution, especially Abbie's case, since she cannot speak for herself, her body language should have spoken volumes to those boneheads. :mad:

My kid sprained his ankle the night before high school graduation at a pre-graduation party. πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ He was in pain and limping and called us from the party and said "I think I did something bad to my foot". IT HURT and he could not walk without favoring it, so at 11 pm his dad, myself, and my fiance were with him in the ER. Turns out it was a sprain, but a bad enough one per the x-ray that he needed a walking boot/crutches. After that, I brought him home, and my fiance and ex-husband went to pick up my son's car from the party...it's what parents do. We take care of our kids, NT or otherwise. I cannot imagine not addressing something like this with Abbie. πŸ™They really do suck as parents.🀬

PS...the boot/crutches made for a very interesting graduation ceremony for my son and some fun photo ops for me...at least I was able to pick him out of the 800 or so students!πŸ€”πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
Oh and his face, he takes after me!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Screenshot (4176).png
Screenshot (4178).png

• Haha
  • Heart
But they were all over Isaiah about getting an x-ray when he hurt his toe back a few months ago...he was still in Boone.
And he was given a boot to wear, which he didn't then went hiking on rocks in flimsy shoes, so...

Reactions: 18
;)
There's a lot of things Abbie doesn't want to do, and resists against, but the Maassholes manage to make them happen...because THEY want them to happen. Abbie didn't want to take her meds, but Ass was willing to engage in a nightly battle of wills during which he trapped her against the kitchen counter until she swallowed the pills...because the Maassholes wanted her on meds. Abbie didn't want to sit in a chair and have her hair cut, but Ass was willing to sit there and feed her snacks so she would be still and develop a tolerance...because the Maassholes wanted her to look pretty. Same with cutting her nails, learning to eat in a restaurant, going to a grocery store, doing the laundry...they've told and shown us how the managed to teach her those things, and it was always by some combination of force, treats, and/or repetition. They have the physical strength and the mental fortitude to follow through when it's something that benefits them. But when it's something that only benefits Abbie...suddenly she's too strong and too resistant for them to help, whatareyagonnado πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ ?

I wonder if they clip Nala's claws. For most cats, it takes either some training or some willingness to get scratched to accomplish a good claw trim. I could see them following through on that because it benefits them (doesn't hurt as bad when she takes a swipe at them)...unlike relieving her daughter's pain, which apparently adds pretty much nothing to their life.

Oh that's right, I forgot, they believe Abbie's pain doesn't exist. Because they didn't bother to teach her the word for "hurts" or "ouch" either. A lot easier to believe it doesn't exist when she doesn't have a word to tell you about it.
You absolutely nailed that on the head πŸ’―!
If it's something that A&P want done (usually Asshat) - it gets done. Point blank, period. If it's something Abbie wants and/or it's something that will require some actual time and effort, if it isn't the easiest and most convenient option, A&P come up with a million and one excuses not to do it. Especially Asswipe (again).

I agree with everything you and others have said about this situation. It is beyond ridiculous, disgusting, incredibly neglectful. ALL THE THINGS. I am both furious and sad for Abbie. As others have said, it is precisely because she is non-verbal that she should be taken to hospital to be properly checked out and rule out a fracture or torn ligament etc. Just because she isn't sobbing and wailing in a heap on the floor doesn't mean that she isn't seriously injured.
It leads me to wonder what other injuries/illnesses she's endured that have gone unchecked and properly dealt with because she didn't show enough of an outward response for A&P to consider it worth taking her to a doctor.

I mean seriously, Assa. When she's in a lot of pain, she won't let us near her, so we do nothing about it.
WHAT THE bleeping HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU???????!!! You're a bleeping sorry ass excuse for a 'father'. You're not worthy of being called that.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Listen, the bottom line is A&P are working really hard to get Selfish WRLD opened and they're exhausted. They don't have the time or the energy to take Princess to Urgent Care or the ER and possibly have to sit for a couple of hours waiting for her treatment. When they get home from hanging fabric and splattering paint on walls, it's all they can do to lift their arms to pour themselves a whiskey or tequila. They're just praying she sucks it up and gets over this injury in time for the VIP night. 🀬🀬🀬🀬🀬🀬🀬

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
How many months ago was Abbie taught donuts, and the Massives were so impressed they took her for donuts all the time? Was it closer to a year ago that Abbie learned donuts? Well, I'm curious what other signs she has learned from the Massives in all this time?!?
I'm seriously bent on how they're handling Abbie's ankle. I've broken a bone before that didn't really show much as far as signs of a break, but it was broken. I'm pretty cautious about stuff like that because I'm super active, and injuries that don't heal properly cause all sorts of issues later on.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I'm not gonna sit here and pretend everyone in the medical field is great at their jobs...but we are all trained and we all should be able to deal with patients who are too young to understand the need to be still, or have an altered mental status that makes it impossible for them to follow directions, or are simply too aggressive due to delerium or psychosis or what have you. Babies get x-rayed all the time. People with dementia get x-rayed all the time. Every radiology tech, PCA/CNA, and nurse has been trained in methods to help someone like Abbie safely and effectively get an x-ray. A&P are absolute garbage people.

To be fair, a sprain and a fracture can look identical from the outside...when I had the extremely painful sprain I wrote about earlier, the urgent care staff was so sure I had a fracture based on the swelling, bruising, lack of mobility, and level of pain that they actually doubted their own x-rays. The doctor there told me to follow up if the mobility didn't improve in a few days, because she thought perhaps I had a fracture that was too thin or not displaced enough to see on the x-ray. But in my case, it was all because I didn't take care of it properly...when I should have known better, because I was two semesters into nursing school and totally knew the proper first aid! 😬

Also a sprain isn't necessarily less severe than a fracture. You can have a non-displaced hairline fracture that heals quickly and requires little to no treatment, while a a Grade 3 sprain is a full tear of the ligament and can cause permanent disability in the joint...and may require prolonged bracing, casting, or even surgery for effective healing.
Agreed 100%!

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.