Fathering Autism #81 Jumpcuts Edits Hidden Truck, Pigs on Tour Run Amuck

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So he made her sign Thank you when the lady gave her the toy. What kind of creep ass game is he playing?

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
That is absolutely disgusting.

Yes, basic manners are a social norm.
We live in a society.
Autistic people often have trouble "naturally" picking up on social norms, or they may not really understand the purpose of social norms, but part of raising any child is preparing them to the best of their abilities to function in our society.

Both of my children - they're both autistic - have been taught, and the lessons reinforced constantly, to display basic manners from infancy.
No, they don't naturally pick up on these things. Some of these things seem pointless to them.
But every time they don't say/sign please or thank you on their own I gently prompt them to do so and remind them that we use our manners because it makes Grandma happy to hear a thank you, or that it shows kindness, or whatever appropriate reason.
And I remind them that we show kindness because they like it when people show kindness to them.

We have social norms for a reason.
Imagine someone getting annoyed with Abbie's vocalizations and physically shoving her out the door, or screaming at her to stop, or any of a number of reactions people might have if it weren't for social norms. Asa gets pissed off enough when people stare; imagine if social norms didn't limit reactions to unexpected behaviors!

What a selfish duck. Oh it's for everyone else, it's just a social norm, it doesn't mean blah blah blah
No, Asa, it's for Abbie's benefit too. If you want the world to be a softer place for her to land, you need to put in the work on your end too.

I got a little ragey reading his response that was posted! Teaching never ends. Teaching with his AAC never ends. Holding him responsible for his behavior never ends. You don't do unacceptable things and then get what you want. He may not ever truly get the concept, but he may at least know the script of what to say and when. Asa, other countries do have their own "manners" or "social norms".

• Heart
Reactions: 16
This is what Abbie thinks of her mom or mum:
Screenshot_20210404-193900_YouTube.jpg

If there are people who know sign language, Abbie seems to be doing a lot of it in this video. I do not believe it is stimming. I believe she's actually trying to communicate. I just don't know sign language. The worst part about this, it appears that A&P have no idea what she's signing.
They are in the car at the 7 minute mark, she is signing like crazy, and the parents have no idea what she signing. Can someone please help.

So he made her sign Thank you when the lady gave her the toy. What kind of creep ass game is he playing?
Yes I noticed that she signed that also. After the corn dog she signed break too. This whole blog needs to be seen by people who actually know sign language.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I don’t see it as creepy or a game, per se. I think things have become a bit muddled in the narrative, at best. I’d always picked up on them placing importance (for a given definition) on manners with Ab, which I realise now puts me squarely at odds with the intentions that’ve been recently stated around manners being pointless (I paraphrase). Perhaps he got a little carried away in this narrative?

Reactions: 4
From the videos I've seen of other locations, these places are loud, bright, jarring, very colorful, and basically the very last place I'd want to take my kids. They'd get overwhelmed and freak out immediately.

I can't imagine it going well, and that's not even taking the clientele into consideration.
I Neurotypical and the videos I have watched have stressed me out. I can not even imagine.

View attachment 514588
If there are people who know sign language, Abbie seems to be doing a lot of it in this video. I do not believe it is stimming. I believe she's actually trying to communicate. I just don't know sign language. The worst part about this, it appears that A&P have no idea what she's signing.
They are in the car at the 7 minute mark, she is signing like crazy, and the parents have no idea what she signing. Can someone please help.

Yes I noticed that she signed that also. After the corn dog she signed break too. This whole blog needs to be seen by people who actually know sign language.
I know as my son is deaf but I haven’t had the time to watch it. I will watch it tomorrow.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
That is absolutely disgusting.

Yes, basic manners are a social norm.
We live in a society.
Autistic people often have trouble "naturally" picking up on social norms, or they may not really understand the purpose of social norms, but part of raising any child is preparing them to the best of their abilities to function in our society.

Both of my children - they're both autistic - have been taught, and the lessons reinforced constantly, to display basic manners from infancy.
No, they don't naturally pick up on these things. Some of these things seem pointless to them.
But every time they don't say/sign please or thank you on their own I gently prompt them to do so and remind them that we use our manners because it makes Grandma happy to hear a thank you, or that it shows kindness, or whatever appropriate reason.
And I remind them that we show kindness because they like it when people show kindness to them.

We have social norms for a reason.
Imagine someone getting annoyed with Abbie's vocalizations and physically shoving her out the door, or screaming at her to stop, or any of a number of reactions people might have if it weren't for social norms. Asa gets pissed off enough when people stare; imagine if social norms didn't limit reactions to unexpected behaviors!

What a selfish duck. Oh it's for everyone else, it's just a social norm, it doesn't mean blah blah blah
No, Asa, it's for Abbie's benefit too. If you want the world to be a softer place for her to land, you need to put in the work on your end too.

This was well stated. Totally agree with you. Autistic children are not exempt from learning manners and can be taught. Thank you. It may take extra effort and repeated lessons.....and there’s the catch for Assa and Priscilla. The world’s laziest parents. He’s so “big” into making the world a safer place to land.....start with your own daughter.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
It's a tough topic to discuss.

Sometimes sedation is necessary for medical care. Nobody likes to do it - not doctors, not parents - but if that's what it takes to get necessary medical stuff done, sometimes you gotta ride the ati-van.

My medical kid has a prn Ativan prescription for both home (haven't needed to use it) as well as in the clinical setting either inpatient or outpatient. We've had to use that one a few times. It zonks my child out for a couple hours. We use it as a last resort, if calming and blocking doesn't work, but it's a thing that happens.

Ever see a five year old try to literally strangle themselves while slamming their head into a metal gurney rail because they're so upset about a medical situation that absolutely has to be done?
Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes, and sometimes that does mean sedative medication.
How can the blood pressure reading be accurate if the child is on a sedative then?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
How can the blood pressure reading be accurate if the child is on a sedative then?
Well, it's not going to be accurate if the patient is anxious or fighting you, either. As @CoffeeMomof2 said, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do just to get the procedure done. And, barring the very basics like breathing and circulation that need to be addressed before anything else...psychosocial needs are just as important as physical needs. It's not right to allow someone to suffer from extreme anxiety just because administering a med for it might require you to do some extra charting or take vitals a little more often.

Anyway, for most people any drop in BP from a sedative/anxiolytic (like Ativan) is not going to be clinically significant...but if a patient is given meds that will significantly alter vital signs, nurses will take that into account both before and after the med is administered.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Well, it's not going to be accurate if the patient is anxious or fighting you, either. As @CoffeeMomof2 said, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do just to get the procedure done. And, barring the very basics like breathing and circulation that need to be addressed before anything else...psychosocial needs are just as important as physical needs. It's not right to allow someone to suffer from extreme anxiety just because administering a med for it might require you to do some extra charting or take vitals a little more often.

Anyway,for most people any drop in BP from a sedative/anxiolytic (like Ativan) is not going to be clinically significant...but if a patient is given meds that will significantly alter vital signs, nurses will take that into account both before and after the med is administered.
I was also curious if it’s something Ab could learn to do. Working on wearing the cuff over a period of weeks/months. Then move towards wearing the cuff and actually taking the blood pressure. Blood pressure machines are sold all over now at an affordable price. The amount of sodium that family ingests I worry about her weight gain potential and elevated blood pressure even at her age. 😔

Anyway,for most people any drop in BP from a sedative/anxiolytic (like Ativan) is not going to be clinically significant...but if a patient is given meds that will significantly alter vital signs, nurses will take that into account both before and after the med is administered.
Exactly. Also, if a child is on a lower blood pressure medication (which is typical for some on the spectrum), the doctor can see how much it lowers the bp and if it is too much, they will lower the dosage or change medications. All of mine, at one time, have been on a medication that lowered it and a lot of times, it just didn’t work or had to be changed due to lowering their bp too much. Having those vitals is very important though...
I just don’t see why they haven’t literally done the work, instead of zonking her with medication though. Even Brandi worked with her on it and I think we seen Asa pull it out once to work with her at home. To me, that would have been done daily and we would have had a social story to go through it with her with removal PECS on a board,,

Reactions: 11
I remember P talking about a food truck and a cookbook. Has P ever talked about opening a business to provide jobs for people with disabilities, or is this the first time hearing about this being a longtime passion of hers? Thanks ahead of time

I was also curious if it’s something Ab could learn to do. Working on wearing the cuff over a period of weeks/months. Then move towards wearing the cuff and actually taking the blood pressure. Blood pressure machines are sold all over now at an affordable price. The amount of sodium that family ingests I worry about her weight gain potential and elevated blood pressure even at her age. 😔
I am 100% certain Abbie could have learned to tolerate a BP cuff by now, if her parents had worked on it consistently with her and her therapists. @Lizaable90 brought up some methods that could work. Instead, they choose to spend their time endlessly teaching her how to do household chores like emptying the dishwasher or putting laundry in the dryer. I suspect it's because A&P don't really care if Abbie has a hard time at the doctor...it doesn't inconvenience them much, and they can blame it on autism, so who cares if Abbie is distressed or unable to get proper medical care? And because it doesn't feed into their delusion of Abbie living independently the way household chores do.

I remember P talking about a food truck and a cookbook. Has P ever talked about opening a business to provide jobs for people with disabilities, or is this the first time hearing about this being a longtime passion of hers? Thanks ahead of time
I don't recall P ever talking about it...although Asa has highlighted a few businesses (the one I remember clearly was a coffee shop) that employs people with disabilities and talked about wanting to do something like that for Abbie. Interestingly, the coffee shop he talked about is also a franchise...so why didn't the Maasses open one of those instead? I wonder if it's because the coffee shop has very clear financial requirements for their franchisees (and, I would guess, requires them to follow equally stringent rules for hiring and management of their special-needs employees): https://www.bittyandbeauscoffee.com/franchise/ SelfieWRLD, on the other hand, has no info up front about what is required to own a franchise: https://selfiewrld.com/franchise/

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Exactly. Also, if a child is on a lower blood pressure medication (which is typical for some on the spectrum), the doctor can see how much it lowers the bp and if it is too much, they will lower the dosage or change medications. All of mine, at one time, have been on a medication that lowered it and a lot of times, it just didn’t work or had to be changed due to lowering their bp too much. Having those vitals is very important though...
I just don’t see why they haven’t literally done the work, instead of zonking her with medication though. Even Brandi worked with her on it and I think we seen Asa pull it out once to work with her at home. To me, that would have been done daily and we would have had a social story to go through it with her with removal PECS on a board,,
True, but Assa's narrative in this video is that Brandy used ABA to get Abbie to a place where they could do these tests without her fighting them. They will never admit that she was drugged. Another progression of Abbie for the leghumpers to ohh and ahh over. I don't remember which Tattler caught the still picture of Abbie quite obviously medicated. Please take a bow. 💐👏🍾

• Heart
View attachment 514588

Could it be 'quit' ?

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.