Fathering Autism #51 We'll do us, you do you, if you get sick, oh well boo-hoo!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
After the beat was totally not planned. Just like Isaiah was surprising everyone when he came to that house.

I kind of get the "surfing" thing. Ab likes water and seems to like sitting on a surfboard. If she gets some enjoyment out of it, even if it is just digging in the sand, let her do it. In my opinion, this surfing is better than the borderline neglect at home and the steady stream of suger fed to her.
They should just go in the backyard with the surfboard and throw water on her then

• Haha
Reactions: 15
After the beat was totally not planned. Just like Isaiah was surprising everyone when he came to that house.

They should just go in the backyard with the surfboard and throw water on her then
Why? They live near a beach. They could go there if they had any interest to actually enrich their daughter/ bestie for life. Social distancing is much easier on the beach than the million shops and restaurants they go to...

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Asa: “We are going to donate some money, I didn’t talk to Priscilla about this”

Ok nice to know you don’t talk to your wife about financial decisions before you announce it to the vlog. There has been a few times he’s mentioned something in the vlog and she had no idea what he was talking about.

Why would he say Camp I am Special has a bigger impact on the youth workers than it does the camp goers? Some things he should just not say.

Summer, they don’t care to hear you go on about Abbie at camp. I don’t know why Summer even talks about her like that. She talks about Abbie like she is a subject she’s studying and has to report her findings to Assa and Priscilla. It’s weird.

Also why are they hyping up Camp I am Special? It looks like it costs to go there (Unless they provide some type of financial assistance for those who can’t afford the cost).

How much does it cost to be a Camper?
A:For a residential week the fee is $750
For a day camp week the fee is $550
For a Super Saturday the fee is $40
For Mini-Camp 2020 the fee will be determined in the fall.

I don’t expect a camp to be free or low cost but something like this just isn’t reality for some parents that have a special needs child. They literally don’t have jobs, they have respite care and all the things and they talk as if that is the reality for most parents when it’s not. It would be different if they had careers and worked their butt off, then yeah we get it, you send your kid off to camp and go shopping for the day.....but they literally do nothing and somehow make it seem like this could be your reality. I guess you all better sign up for slime life and become a billionaire.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 27

I am not in favor of that, but it was funny 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Are the counselors not paid I can't from the camp? I thought they were volunteers. I don't understand. Where's all this money going to then? Because if there are nonprofit they don't pay taxes.

Reactions: 9
Unfortunately those items will not satisfy someone with PICA.

I have had PICA my entire life, like Abbie. It is actually a bit more complicated than a lot (not saying you) of people think. It isnt about "texture" at all. It is a literal craving for a non-edible item. Texture can be a factor, some people seek out their item along with texture, but it is not the dominant issue.
The cause/effect of PICA has been discussed, studied and disputed for years. Some studies believe it is strictly a result of the body's inability to absorb certain nutrients (like Iron) which cause the odd cravings. Other studies show that it is actually PICA itself that cause the nutrient deficit, because the ingestion on non-food items are hindering digestion and the body's ability to absorb proper food items. Kind of a which came first? The chicken or the egg scenario.

Its also very very common in people with DD, ADHD, and certain mental illness like schizophrenia. Its considered a Eating Disorder but now studies are leaning toward PICA actually being an OCD, and treatments vary from medicinal to behavior modification. I had both. I mentioned before that I had severe ADHD as a child. Severe. This was in the mid-70's...treatment was new, meds were new, and ADHD was simply "Hyperactivity" then. I spent my elementary years in a windowless room one on one with an therapist because even though my IQ tested well above grade level, I was deemed behaviorally unteachable. I was the first child in my county to take Ritalin, and my mother had to challenge the school board to allow me to take a dose at school. By age 7, my behaviors caused my parents to divorce, my brothers hated me, my mother was in therapy, and I damaged our home and belongings at a relentless pace. And the PICA. I craved and ate chalk, ice, dirt, cigarette ashes, Play-Doh...you name it. Even though ABA eliminated my horrible and unsafe behavior by my early teens, and I began to thrive in school and socially....here I am, just turned 50, and the PICA remains. I have Iron infusions every 12 weeks and also take oral supplements daily. Yet I still crave chalk. I eat Tums like candy, or drink Milk of Mag, because they taste like chalk and will not harm me.

Sorry so long. Just wanted to point out how PICA can stand alone as a sole disorder, or be a comorbidity to many others. (There are also significant cultural and socioeconomic factors that are super interesting, but I digress. :)) I have always been truly bothered that they talk about her PICA, but I have never ONCE heard them address how they are working toward (or had in the past) treatment options. Its really unpleasant guys. I joke about it myself, that I have to stop myself from literally licking my own ashtray when I have an episode...but how can Abbie express, or even substitute an item for a need that she cannot communicate, and parents who shrug and giggle it off? I have never said this before (due to the length of all this) but as someone who has lived my life with PICA- I 100% believe that at least half of the time that she is signing for "food" she is trying to communicate that unmet craving and need. It makes me sad. Again, this isnt like craving a donut. It is overpowering and uncomfortable. :(
This makes me love being here (and you) even more. I am book learned and I know my child backwards and forwards, but I do have an occasional student that throws me off. PICA is one subject I know little about and I thank you for sharing. I hope I can use your story to understand future students who suffer. Thank you for sharing.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
"It's obviously a much smaller group"
Well yeah, some parents don't want their autistic kid to also have lasting physical damage from Covid. JFC they are so clueless.

Just wondering around what appears to be an underpass feels so boring and redundant, I would have sworn it was old footage.

Every time they show Sandy I am SO grateful to not have a dog anymore. She is so untrained.
They are too lazy to even toss her into a PetSmart training school.

Cilla could not care less about Summers story. Does anyone else wonder what she would have been like with a neurotypical daughter? I don't think they would have been best friends.

I had to skip his soliloquy at the end because I just couldn't handle it.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Why would he say Camp I am Special has a bigger impact on the youth workers than it does the camp goers? Some things he should just not say.
This is part of Asas very skewed perception of reality. Even in the earlier vlogs, he was going on and on about how Abbie makes the people around her better/more empathetic and the positive impact she makes in the world. Sometimes it sounded downright creepy. Like Abbie was some sort of higher, ethereal being.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 28
I'm pretty sure when I saw Abbie get out of the car Becca had a camera. So I guess that's what we're going to see tomorrow. And I guess since Isaiah's going we're going to see Priscilla cry like a little baby. And then we're going to see everyone saying Abbie's going to miss him like crazy. Even though she really could care less. And so when that happens Assa is this going to go on and on about some stupid thing about autism and emotions for about 7 or 8 minutes aka another boring vlog.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
I am not in favor of that, but it was funny 😂
If she enjoys sitting on the surfboard so much, they should put it in the pool and push her around on it. Thats literally all she can do on it anyway. She doesn't know she supposed to as actually stand up.He makes it sound like poor Ab doesn't get to do anything special. (Cheerleading camp....are ya nuts?) She has more opportunities than most IDD kids. Trips, cruises, bikes, a boat, the crazy cart, etc. I wonder if Assholes normal daughter gets to do all that? I doubt it. Cry over THAT Asshole.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 29
Are the counselors not paid I can't from the camp? I thought they were volunteers. I don't understand. Where's all this money going to then? Because if there are nonprofit they don't pay taxes.
Utilities, property tax, possibly payments on the outbuildings, food, insurance, maintenance, equipment, training and bonding volunteers...the list is endless.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I kind of get the "surfing" thing. Ab likes water and seems to like sitting on a surfboard. If she gets some enjoyment out of it, even if it is just digging in the sand, let her do it. In my opinion, this surfing is better than the borderline neglect at home and the steady stream of suger fed to her.
Edit: Here is a fun idea. Buy Autism princess a surfboard and take her to the beach on your own, you lazy dimwits.
They have Summer who can get in the water with Abbie and the surfboard. That is a great idea.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
This is part of Asas very skewed perception of reality. Even in the earlier vlogs, he was going on and on about how Abbie makes the people around her better/more empathetic and the positive impact she makes in the world. Sometimes it sounded downright creepy. Like Abbie was some sort of higher, ethereal being.
Yes!! I have said so many times! He acts as if she is divine!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself as I’ve been a longggggg time lurker but finally made an account to make viewing the forum easier and also wanted to share my thoughts. I started watching FA earlier this year after they kept appearing in my recommended and thought they seemed to be a normal loving family sharing their ups and downs having a non NT child I kept noticing some really problematic behaviours from A and P, Priscilla seems so cold and unloving towards Abbie and it’s getting progressively worse. Priscilla joking about wanting to leave her behind on a plane, freaking out when she saw that snake and clearly hideing behind Abbie then claiming she was trying to protect her lol, mocking her honking and revealing embarrassing details about her toilet training.
And what’s with Summer? I used to think Isiah probably had a crush on her but now I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Asa?! There is a weird tension in that house right now and I think something is going to snap soon. And why does she constantly say “all the things” and “are you excited?!” It’s so mind numblimgly annoying when she’s said it for the thousandth time. I feel so sorry for Abbie, why doesn’t she have words on her iPad for stop, or uncomfortable, no camera, etc?? They have the power to give her so many communication options but it’s literally all food. I could go on longer but I know yall discussed it all many times before. I wanted to ask if there was a video of Asa talking about the other daughter/him leaving Priscilla in the past as I couldn’t find it but have seen it referenced a lot? Thanks. :)

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.