Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Gambit

Chatty Member
I don't think I've seen hiking or camping or movies since I've been watching, but you're right I was forgetting stores like Walmart and Target. They do take her places, there are just a few they really harp on - like Dunkin and the post office, etc.

I remember now that they made a point of saying that she used to be very bothered in the big box groceries stores and now isn't as phased, which I suppose is good. I actually remember having an internal debate now over whether or not desensitizing her to something that won't be practical for her future was actually a good thing or not if it upset her that much or not. But there are a lot of things like that I don't feel informed enough to have a real opinion on because I don't have any firsthand experience with teenagers (or anyone) like Abbie. I am inclined to trust that JSA/Brandi know what they're doing and considers it a benefit for Abbie to be going to the stores, though, so if A&P are following through on that good for them. But I still think their style of speaking over her and ignoring her choices isn't beneficial to instilling any sense of "independence" in her.
JSA probably focuses on it, because it does effect quality of life in a lot of cases. If you have a child with special needs and can’t even go to the store or take care of errands without respite or dividing up the parents, it makes life a lot harder. A lot of parents of kids with special needs are already isolated. Probably not purchasing her own items, but just existing in those spaces will help in the future

Reactions: 6
Catching up from #652 phartblossom....(trying not to quote the entire post anymore) ....so Ab most certainly grabbed, squeezed, & began digging I think all 4 fingers into his forearm. That’s why Isa. looked at everyone like SPOILED Ab was going “cray-cray.” Hate that term, but you know what I mean. Run Isa run! (when) You can! Summer...you too!

spacecase

I have moderate kyphosis and can vouch that it is painful. I'm thankful that it isn't more severe.
I think PT would help Abbie a lot but, sadly, we know how A&P are when it comes to properly taking care of her needs.
I don't know much about idd but would Abbie know about pain and how to tell them if they taught her the sign? Not that I am holding my breath that they will as you said they are known for not properly taking care of her needs.

Last edited:

VickyIsAwesome

Yes! That is awesome 90lbs in 18 months. Congrats to you!! I think once you learn your body, then you know what works and what doesn’t. I stopped counting calories a while ago after I realized that I don’t even meet the calorie count anymore... so it’s all about a balanced diet and being active. I stay away from carbs but if I have any, I’m really done within a few bites. You are right when you say that they can make something work for them.

You guys! I’ve just realized that Mama June (Honey boo boo’s mom) is Pig’s long lost sister... I knew Pig reminded me of someone -

Lmao i really thought that was Priscilla at first as i didn't read your comment properly

• Haha
First of all, any OT that pulls the whole 'oh, but he does it with us!' card is a shit OT. Especially if they don't allow their sessions to be taped.

Regarding writing, I am about to bombard you with questions - I apologize in advance, but OTs and our methods vary so wildly depending on region, school board, private therapist, etc. For his writing - are you using any grippers with the pencils? If no, or if just basic ones, try a CLAW or a Twist-n-Write (although this one might be a bid advanced for him yet). NuMuvs aren't bad either, but they are a little bit pricier and not as attractive to kids, I find. I like HandiWriters, too but tend to use them a little farther down the learning-to-write street.

Regarding cutting, what kind of scissors are being used? Just regular safety scissors or spring scissors or easi-grips? Easi-Grip makes a mini version of their scissors for kids and I LOVE them - I've had lots of success. Springs are good too, but aren't as user friendly in terms of safety (imo). For cutting material - what kind of paper is he cutting? Just regular, construction, bristol, newsprint, magazine? What are they getting him to cut? Does he follow lines, shapes, a pattern? Or do they just get him to cut randomly? I always prefer to use patterns (just simple lines, corners, circles, etc. in the beginning) because it gives an actual visual cue as to where to go next - saves some processing time.

In terms of holding the paper, I have used a lot of different things in the past - rubber finger tips, sticky tack, tongs (these come in lots of cool colors and shapes to try - you can often get kits with slightly different grips, etc.) All of this stuff can be found online from a variety of different stores - I just didn't know if I was allowed to link stuff.
I need to figure out how to private message you to ask where you work because WOW. Please tell me you're in CA?

So AFAIK no grippers were used he did palmar grasp or normal grasp he switches between which to me signals hand fatigue.His OT sucks but I cannot switch because she was brand new to his case and then covid happened. She doesn't even email me what to have ready for his teletherapy. So annoying.

For his writing - are you using any grippers with the pencils? No

If no, or if just basic ones, try a CLAW or a Twist-n-Write (although this one might be a bid advanced for him yet). NuMuvs aren't bad either, but they are a little bit pricier and not as attractive to kids, I find. I like HandiWriters, too but tend to use them a little farther down the learning-to-write street.- Girl I am on it.

Regarding cutting, what kind of scissors are being used? Regular safety scissors are used. He will cut correctly but after a while go to using two hands again I said hand fatigue and they said he seems to have normal strength. He is about to be 5. I'
m going to add easigrip to my shopping cart for him/

For cutting material - what kind of paper is he cutting?- so he did a lot of line cutting and squares on regular paper. At home I do a mix of regular printing paper where I print shapes or construction paper. We've even cut playdough at home because he likes to make spaghetti so I thought hey lets use them here

Ialways prefer to use patterns (just simple lines, corners, circles, etc. in the beginning) because it gives an actual visual cue as to where to go next - saves some processing time.- hedoes GREAT and lines but when it is a shape he sometimes doesn't turn ie the circle. Now with mommy OT his squares are getting there as are rectangles. Triangles are for some odd reason trickier for him? The diagonal lines. Circles forget it it isn't working and he is getting upset. I wonder if he has midline issues? I'm spouting shit though because sll of this is google degree since his OT isn't the best she seems taken aback by my questions and again can't even respond to emails what activities to do. We colored for 30 minutes on teletherapy once! He needs a lot of input crashes and jumps etc and she ignores his sensory system.

In terms of holding the paper, I have used a lot of different things in the past - rubber finger tips, sticky tack, tongs (these come in lots of cool colors and shapes to try - you can often get kits with slightly different grips, etc.) All of this stuff can be found online from a variety of different stores - I just didn't know if I was allowed to link stuff.--- this is genius his OT just said he hasn't figured it out and to keep prompting or helping him turn it but I feel he is capable of so much more if the expectations are there. Yes he has some real deficits but he's only 4.... let's not put a cap on what he can do(no IDD) and just shoot for challenging him until he can't? His self care is off the charts this kid dresses, undresses, zips his own including connecting, blows his own nose etc etc
You are a godsend!

• Heart

Gambit

Chatty Member
Well. Looks like I missed some posts after I turned in last night. Or something. ??? I was off and on all day and the subject was broached once I think.

Someone commented that if Asa thought her rocking was something else he wouldnt film. I DID point out that Asa made Abbie stop rocking in the vlog. Quote: "Stop. It's done. Its done." Abbie was not doing anything that would have made him approach her and say that, other than rocking. She was paying zero attention to the dancing chicken or anything else and she looked surprised by his tone of voice. I dont know what she was doing and didnt speculate about it, but since we know he reads here I DID find it interesting he stopped her....my observation was about Asa and a direct response to the "not filming."

Idk if it was my remark that caused drama, but if so, my bad. I have no problem ignoring that topic. I am curious what transpired yesterday that didnt happen a few weeks ago when it was discussed for DAYS. ?? I mean, that was a trip. Yesterday? Not so much....🤔🤔
People are gross and moderators took care of it. I wouldn’t worry about it if you didn’t get any warning.

You guys know how the Maa$$' love Tiktok so much? Well I've just thought of something! There's a massive autistic community on tiktok, all you have to do is either search, or find the IG page @actuallyautistictiktoks :)
Last thing I heard was that TikTok was deliberately censoring autistic creators for their 'safety' or something like that.

lillibb

VIP Member
And thats why he got Becca involved again cuz he couldn't handle it and hated all of our critism, lol. GO TATTLERS! And now he expects her to do all the things he couldn't. Wear a mask?? Omg. Put and keep a tie in her hair? Aint happening.
But really, how many more days of school are left, one or two weeks?

Whimsical

VIP Member
Haha it’s actually one of my favorite episodes. That and towelie, and casa Bonita.

I live in Colorado ... so that show has always been hilarious for many reasons and I drive through South Park/ FairPlay quite a bit when heading deep into the mountains!
OMG, Towelie!!! I loved that show, so much!! Many, many hours spent watching/laughing!!!😂😂😂😂
Oh, Colorado! Pikes Peak, one of my favorite vacations! 🥰🥰
My parents both went to South Park High School 😂😂😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Gambit

Chatty Member
I don’t understand the point of the keto diet. No wonder they’re not losing weight (from what I can see). It seems like their dinners consist of fatty meat cooked in a crockpot with potatoes and creamy cheese sauce, with two pieces of lettuce smothered in dressing as a salad.
They don't eat Keto. Priscilla just points that out for her fans that follow her cooking/lifestyle page. Sometimes the main meat dish is keto lol

KeepinItReal516

Chatty Member
Look at the podcast where asa and Isaiah are talking about future plans after they die. I believe they have someone in mind for Abby as her power of attorney, it's not Isaiah, he will have some say so but not much according to asa's words in that podcast. Pay attention to Isaiah's behavior as he is let down again. This father doesn't realize he has put so much anxiety on Isaiah and Abby. Autism doesn't come with anxieties, it's their environment.
Not the info I asked about ... but ok!

Sadoldhen

Chatty Member
I'm just stumbling onto all kinds of stuff lol
I don't recall seeing this link posted anywhere here
Surprised she doesn't promote this🤔
I have asked her several times about the fact that she only seems to wear clothes once or twice, and how expensive that must be, but in true FA tradition, was never given an answer. I believe, but am not sure, she had some of Abbie’s clothes on there, and it might have had some donated stuff, and someone else queried it.

therealamylynn

VIP Member
Are you insinuating something? That’s what I was asking because what is the significance of her having that reaction and it being a big deal?
Not insinuating anything. I just stated that she was pretty adamant that she didn't want to go and I thought it was weird she was that adamant about it.

They mean the type that scams people on slime life and smothers every dish in massive quantities of cream or cheese... and the one that lets her husband bathe her teenage daughter because mothering isn't her "jam".
If mothering isn't her 'jam', then why did she decide to become a mother (of two, nonetheless)?