Fathering Autism #128 The Hambeasts Feast as Leaf Springs Break. How much more can that camper take?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Found a couple of pictures of some of my son's screens he has set up on his AAC app (the same one Abbie uses for the newcomers who may not know). When he goes to his Music topic, this is what pops up. A page devoted to ALEXA. He can push the buttons and ALEXA will do what is asked. We edited the play button to say his fave music station.

Here is another screen I made on the fly about when he could go in his pool. He kept asking one day when it was raining. So, I made this visual and used this to explain why he couldn't that day. If they were really invested in using that app to help develop communication, they should be doing some of this stuff. I gather that it is rather difficult because they would have to interrupt her youtube viewing to focus on making such screens-another reason that we ONLY use his AAC ipad for communication. Anything for fun is done on a different system (Kindle, desktop, different ipad). So if his behavior has not been that great, I CAN take away his youtube WITHOUT taking his way to communicate.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
When ASS gave Abbie her NEW PLASTIC BAG the thought popped into my head that that he needs to in front of a firing squad... with no blindfold. New plastic bag my ass.

Exploratory cooking is adding onions and peppers to grilled mexican chicken. Wow, no wonder she had her own cooking channel.
They probably had raw pork in that dirty ziploc shredded bag she is chewing on before giving it to her.

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 15
Do any of you follow this Abby? I know she is very high functioning, but I just feel the Massives could learn so much about Abbie through higher functioning people with autism - and I thought it was interesting how she said exercise helps her needs - poor Abbie hours on end cramped in the car.

I like this account because it feels much less exploitative because she is intelligent and an adult who is able to consent. I know autism is a spectrum so it’s not fair to compare - but like I said, just in terms of understanding sensory needs and all of that, Abbie isn’t able to tell them directly - I feel there is so much more they could be doing and learning from others to take better care of her needs (obviously)

It won’t let me post the link I don’t think but this video is really worth a watch

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I miss Crazy Nanny... (she is SUPER WOMAN, look at her!!) When she was with Abbie it was about ABBIE. She wasn’t afraid to try stuff with her, get her engaged, have fun... Gone are the days of seeing Abbie do art and so much more.
Also give her consequences when she was being a little brat!, wanna act up?! no music! That’s it that’s all,she was gentle yet tough (in a matter of speaking) at the same time! Brandy was the same

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Found a couple of pictures of some of my son's screens he has set up on his AAC app (the same one Abbie uses for the newcomers who may not know). When he goes to his Music topic, this is what pops up. A page devoted to ALEXA. He can push the buttons and ALEXA will do what is asked. We edited the play button to say his fave music station.

Here is another screen I made on the fly about when he could go in his pool. He kept asking one day when it was raining. So, I made this visual and used this to explain why he couldn't that day. If they were really invested in using that app to help develop communication, they should be doing some of this stuff. I gather that it is rather difficult because they would have to interrupt her youtube viewing to focus on making such screens-another reason that we ONLY use his AAC ipad for communication. Anything for fun is done on a different system (Kindle, desktop, different ipad). So if his behavior has not been that great, I CAN take away his youtube WITHOUT taking his way to communicate.
You're a fantastic mama. I think the issue with any device with Abbie is she can't understand situations and doesn't have the intellectual capacity to understand the process of going to an app and seeking out the commands for Alexa that she needs. It's not her fault. She's severely ID.

The Maassives will continue to lead their viewers to think Abbie's disability is mostly Autism. I don't think it is. I think she's very low functioning and I don't think she's mentally at an 18 month development mentally. Maybe in some areas she can do a few tasks that an 18 month old can but she can't comprehend like a NT18 month old. So when he says she communicates well, she really doesn't. Most of her button pushing is a game of chance. I think if he moved the buttons around she'd be completely lost.

Reactions: 23
You're a fantastic mama. I think the issue with any device with Abbie is she can't understand situations and doesn't have the intellectual capacity to understand the process of going to an app and seeking out the commands for Alexa that she needs. It's not her fault. She's severely ID.

The Maassives will continue to lead their viewers to think Abbie's disability is mostly Autism. I don't think it is. I think she's very low functioning and I don't think she's mentally at an 18 month development mentally. Maybe in some areas she can do a few tasks that an 18 month old can but she can't comprehend like a NT18 month old. So when he says she communicates well, she really doesn't. Most of her button pushing is a game of chance. I think if he moved the buttons around she'd be completely lost.
Thank you! I am trying my best. Sometimes I am not the most patient, but I try. My son is also severely ID. No one thought he would learn to use a AAC device or do half the things he is doing. I think since she loves music so much (my kiddo does too), she could learn quickly request it in her AAC. She has learned food pretty good. She CAN learn new signs (when they feel like teaching her). Having an AAC does take work on the part of the parents as well. We are the ones teaching our kids to use it. Maybe that's just my thing though. I tend to recoil when people say he can't do something. I just love to prove them all wrong. It takes work and determination though-something they don't seem to have much of.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Do any of you follow this Abby? I know she is very high functioning, but I just feel the Massives could learn so much about Abbie through higher functioning people with autism - and I thought it was interesting how she said exercise helps her needs - poor Abbie hours on end cramped in the car.

I like this account because it feels much less exploitative because she is intelligent and an adult who is able to consent. I know autism is a spectrum so it’s not fair to compare - but like I said, just in terms of understanding sensory needs and all of that, Abbie isn’t able to tell them directly - I feel there is so much more they could be doing and learning from others to take better care of her needs (obviously)

Tattle won't let you drop certain links unfortunately. I think I know the one you're talking about - darling young woman. Very smart, very articulate. She was also on the TV show "Love on the Spectrum" where she met her current boyfriend.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Her mother is ashamed for her to play with toddler/baby/doggie toys. Very sad.
Yep.. so plastic food bags it is.. it means she’s bored out of her mind gonna be a great chef some day!

This is a good example of why I think I could do well with children or adults with ID, etc..

I LOVE playing with kids toys. Interactive projects.. creativity and art…Legos, Matchbox cars, bored games, those little boxes of projects you get from Walmart .. You know what I’d gift Abbie with if she were in my life? A Bop It. I know she wouldn’t be able to do the memorization, but Bop It’s have an open play option.. where it just plays the music and Abbie play it in any order she desires. It also is great for her weak hands to get better at pulling and twisting things… and the best part is you can turn it down and I don’t think Abbie has the capacity to go into the settings to turn it back up..

It’s too bad Abbie wasn’t a 90s girl.. the 90s were the best when it came to toys FOR TEENAGERS even, that made a lot of noise and buttons..

Anyone remember YakBak?
You could hit buttons for music, sound effects, and you could record your voice..
I had one that had this cone you’d pull out to make your voice do different effects…

Can you imagine, giving Abbie a toy, that she not only loves cause it makes sounds, but by just teaching her to hit one button, she could record her self “talking”… so not only does she like the sounds, it makes “talking” fun
618E2120-8BB5-427C-B469-243D84525953.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
As is the case with most kids with autism, I don't think Abbie often responds to or even attends to people's emotions...but it does seem like she can sense the general atmosphere of a situation, and I think she got that something was wrong in that situation. Additionally, when Priscilla screams and moves suddenly and makes a big fuss around Abbie, it's almost always followed by Abbie having to do something unpleasant...so I'm sure it gave her a feeling that something bad was about to happen. The situation did seem to upset her quite a bit. There's a definite difference between the way Abbie behaves when she's upset as part of a tantrum, and the way Abbie behaves when she's upset because she's genuinely scared or sad...the latter always breaks my heart a little bit, there's a true helplessness to it, and the snake situation was one of those moments.
YEEEP! That was most def a “sensory, nervous” little breakdown she had… much, much different than her usual tantrums. She turned on a dime SO QUICK that I don’t think she had control over herself. And right after, she goes to her brother for comfort, like she is TRYING to calm herself , rather than a tantrum when she doesn’t get what she wants…

This post ALONE is more informative and simple to under than 30 of FA’s videos on AAC..

It took you time to set that up.
And it took you time to teach him…

If Abbie wanted to go swimming and couldn’t because of a storm, instead of using very simple word and images to explain to their 2 year old minded kid… they say to her

“girlfriend.. you see that lightning? I’m sorry but we can’t get into the pool because you might get struck by lightening “

First of all, imagine actually being in Abbie’s mind.. they aren’t even trying to “make eye contact “ or at least speak to her while she’s looking at them.. they use entire phrases she will absolutely not understand.. she might hear the words “can’t” and “pool” , but they jumble it up sooo much, that no wonder she is CONSTANTLY getting upset over lack of communication.

What you did was perfect.

I’m not saying they have to talk to her like she’s a baby 24/7.. just when they really need her to understand something. But if they can’t even follow through with a simple chore chart , no way they are gonna do anything more than the bare minimum which is diapers, nachos and ziplock bags

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Yep.. so plastic food bags it is.. it means she’s bored out of her mind gonna be a great chef some day!

This is a good example of why I think I could do well with children or adults with ID, etc..

I LOVE playing with kids toys. Interactive projects.. creativity and art…Legos, Matchbox cars, bored games, those little boxes of projects you get from Walmart .. You know what I’d gift Abbie with if she were in my life? A Bop It. I know she wouldn’t be able to do the memorization, but Bop It’s have an open play option.. where it just plays the music and Abbie play it in any order she desires. It also is great for her weak hands to get better at pulling and twisting things… and the best part is you can turn it down and I don’t think Abbie has the capacity to go into the settings to turn it back up..

It’s too bad Abbie wasn’t a 90s girl.. the 90s were the best when it came to toys FOR TEENAGERS even, that made a lot of noise and buttons..

Anyone remember YakBak?
You could hit buttons for music, sound effects, and you could record your voice..
I had one that had this cone you’d pull out to make your voice do different effects…

Can you imagine, giving Abbie a toy, that she not only loves cause it makes sounds, but by just teaching her to hit one button, she could record her self “talking”… so not only does she like the sounds, it makes “talking” funView attachment 1414817
That's so cool. My daughter (now 18) had one when she was little that would record her voice and play it back at different speeds. She loved that thing. I wonder if Abby would enjoy one of those bluetooth karaoke microphones. Those seem pretty neat. :unsure:

• Heart
Reactions: 11
All along it has been for them, if they can get her to speak everything is going to be much better because she will be normal and it will make the autism and IDD away.

Reactions: 8

Anyone remember YakBak?

Can you imagine, giving Abbie a toy, that she not only loves cause it makes sounds, but by just teaching her to hit one button, she could record her self “talking”… so not only does she like the sounds, it makes “talking” funView attachment 1414817

My kiddo loves all the interactive stuff too. They have got some really cool toys for kids these days!

• Heart
What I think upsets me most about FA, like alot of you, is the missed opportunities…
Things like
Lack of intellectual challenges. Sitting in Chipotle for an hour without a tantrum or meltdown is NOT considered a “challenge”. It can certainly be a “win”, I can def understand being proud of her.. it can be an emotional challenge.. but does nothing for her intellect. The fact that they consider her “winning” in life is when in reality all she is winning at is being quiet. “she shopped with us the WHOLE TIME” “she went on a walk!” “She ate at chipotle!”

we NEVER see her intellectually challenged. And it really shows what Asa and Cilla consider a good life. And that’s spending tons of money, expensive experiences, shopping and cooking mush… it’s no wonder they don’t care if abbie gets an education cause they never cared about getting one themselves… that’s not what they take “pride” in.

Laziness is a huge factor and we’re always talking about that.. but look into each of them, and imagine what each of them consider “important in life” for themselves… education is def not in the top 5 for either of them. Parents naturally pass on these things to their children.. and since abbie‘s ID is so severe, she will never get to create her own persona , she will always be molded after her parents.

Then you got..
Lack of follow through
Lack of awareness or care of danger (Look how hard of a time she’s having walking barefoot)
Lack of communication working
Lack of overall parenting and discipline.

Discipline is funny to see Asa respond to.. cause he acts like the haters want him to spank her or scream at her…None of us want that. But maybe, next time she steals food off of a strangers plate, instead of laughing about it on the vlog, teach her that it is wrong with some kind of structured discipline. Discipline doesn’t automatically mean abuse.

Yes she has autism and ID, she’s basically a 2 year old, but what parents let their two year old CONSTANTLY take other peoples things? And laugh about it? I get the feeling they don’t know how to discipline her, but have they actually ever tried and kept it up? Of course the first time she gets in trouble, she’s not going to understand.. but if you give her the same “punishment” the next time she steals food, she WILL put two and two together “Oh, I have to go to the car/my room.. do a chore I hate (or whatever), every time I steal food…”
So next time she has the urge, she’ll remember how much it sucked after”

Again, I can imagine, discipline is extremely difficult with someone like Abbie, and… it might even be too late now.. but they are really showing their Florida Red Neck side with the “Yeah.. discipline never worked, even tho we never tried consistency… so… whatever..she’s a princess ..”

** I love Florida btw.. no offense to anyone from Florida, hehe.. im from Maine and can safely say it’s full of hics 😜😜😅😅

Congrats 🎉😊🎆✨🎈🎉
I am a Sag (in more ways than one😂) but I have lived with Leos all my life- I love them 🦁🦁🦁🦁 💖💥
My mum was July 30, my dad August 15, my daughter August 19 & HER daughter July 28. Only 2 non lions in my tiny family - my sons are both virgo.
“Hello everyone, I’m a Sagittarius….
7A9C9FCF-EB77-4C29-AEB6-D3A6F500723E.jpeg

My BF is a Sag too

speaking of him,
He’s been watching them this past month. You know how we always have a good laugh between the anger? Well he is just anger. He despises them and just sees a kid with ID being exploited …

Lol, I was watching yesterdays vlog on the tablet and he heard pig cooking .. she was like “
“I’m cooking chicken….”
He’s like “oh, that could be healthy…”

…”nachos”

“Jesus Christ! Didn’t I just watch her devour a sack of nachos just the other day!?”

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.