Fathering Autism #11 S.O.S. we need vlog content, gotta make back all the money we spent

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes! It should be reported!
Kids/Adults w severe autism,IDD,etc self harm a great deal. The only time an intervention would happen is if the caretaker themselves reported it to a doctor,therapist,etc as a major concern.
Sadly,even covering the wound(s) would be of no help as they would tear the bandage off and possibly cause even greater harm. All one can really do is keep the wound clean,and keep an eye for serious infection or deeper bites,scratches,etc.
Am sure even if the brought her to a hospital or doctor for that,they would recognize it for what it is.
I have witnessed the “damage” one w severe autism can do to themselves and this w Abbie,though bad,is still on the “milder” side of she could be doing.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
Children with IDD and Autism self-harm all the time. No one will bat an eye.
That's true.
The troubling thing with this particular self injurious behavior is, in my opinion, they are responsible for her being stressed enough to repeatedly bite herself until she drew blood.
Their vlogs document the evidence for my statement.
Before last week, Abbie was left to rock on the couch for hours unless they took her on a trip somewhere or out in the electric car.
They did not interact with her as far as we can tell, based off how she has regressed. This was due most likely to not following through with what the school recommends and/or with speech therapy or any other therapy she receives courtesy of the American tax payers.
Until they had to actually interact with her so that they wouldn't loose that scholarship money, she was an afterthought in that home.
Not saying what they did rises to the level of getting child protective services involved. It's just my thoughts on why she's suddenly exhibiting self injurious behavior.
They aggravated the tit out of her, put too many demands on her and it was all very very confusing to her.
IMO

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Sadly, I'll actually give Asa credit for being honest for once. Asa has said he doesnt know if Abbie actually loves them, and knows she doesnt feel empathy,and that does not understand emotions. She doesnt understand "feel" Its kind of like the crap with picking the weather in the morning...she has no clue. He guides her, or moves the camera so we dont see what she picks...she doesnt understand "sunny", she understands so little that they focus on just teaching her "wants" so she has at least some type of ability to communicate SOMETHING successfully. Like, yes, Brandy taught her "break" and "stop", but those are actions...she doesnt know the meaning of the actual word, just the outcome...rocking or stopping a task. She will never be able to do "I feel" because she doesnt understand "feel" and there is no physical reinforcer to make it click.
Even if she can't understand emotions, or understand the way NT people express them, I don't think that means she doesn't experience emotions of her own. She experiences them on a more basic level and in a different way than NT's. That's how I see it. She may not be able to make the connection of "When Dad does this, it means he's feeling that.", but I do think she has her own emotions that she deals with.
I used the example of Brandy teaching her "stop" because Abbie picked that up fairly easily (by Abbie's standards). It shows that she is capable of learning more signs than the ones they use most often with her.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
A lot of frustration from Abbie, could be (IMO) stemming from the fact is that there appears to be the day set up by the parents in advance, and Abbie is not involved and expected to just follow them around, so when the routine has been disrupted to a major degree 1: moving house 2: going on trips one after another, 3: a new teacher, and change to high school (vocational), two new pets, loss of CN etc, anybody would be confused if it hadn’t been explained, and picture storied to death, no wonder poor Abbie doesn’t understand, even with my low level educational knowledge of small children, and children with special needs is TALK TO THE CHILDREN, so they get some understanding of whats going on. No body talks to Abbie, they don’t read books to her, even if it’s only the little bath book that she likes. I can’t imagine what sort of turmoil is going on in her head, as each day she wakes up and is not into the school routine, and Abbie has no skills to voice her confusion etc, I would hate to think what she is going to do, to get attention, if hurting herself, jumping into the pool, and lashing out is not alarming the parents to take some action and focus on Abbie’s mental health instead of vlog content

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Even if she can't understand emotions, or understand the way NT people express them, I don't think that means she doesn't experience emotions of her own. She experiences them on a more basic level and in a different way than NT's. That's how I see it. She may not be able to make the connection of "When Dad does this, it means he's feeling that.", but I do think she has her own emotions that she deals with.
I used the example of Brandy teaching her "stop" because Abbie picked that up fairly easily (by Abbie's standards). It shows that she is capable of learning more signs than the ones they use most often with her.
I agree. I never said she didnt have emotions, actually neither did they....was just repeating that she does not understand the concept, so they focus on things she can understand, which are things that she can learn by having tangible results, like candy, bath, or break. And I dont often defend them but as parents, if you even give up trying to teach your child "Mom" or "Dad", there is a reason for that.

Hey question? I’m trying to find the bit you guys were talking about in the pool where he was weird with Abbie?
I just tried skipping forward in the one where she jumped in the pool and it didn’t seem to be there nor in the live stream..?
I didnt see it either...so I need to find it too!

Reactions: 4
That's true.
The troubling thing with this particular self injurious behavior is, in my opinion, they are responsible for her being stressed enough to repeatedly bite herself until she drew blood.
Their vlogs document the evidence for my statement.
Before last week, Abbie was left to rock on the couch for hours unless they took her on a trip somewhere or out in the electric car.
They did not interact with her as far as we can tell, based off how she has regressed. This was due most likely to not following through with what the school recommends and/or with speech therapy or any other therapy she receives courtesy of the American tax payers.
Until they had to actually interact with her so that they wouldn't loose that scholarship money, she was an afterthought in that home.
Not saying what they did rises to the level of getting child protective services involved. It's just my thoughts on why she's suddenly exhibiting self injurious behavior.
They aggravated the tit out of her, put too many demands on her and it was all very very confusing to her.
IMO
I agree in concept, except she has always been a biter. Watch her. Even rocking on the couch she will clasp her hands and pull her arm to her mouth and yell. She is biting. Thats why when she yells/vocalizes really loudly when she is doing it, they push her arms down...the louder the yell the deeper the bite. And I think its kind of like potty-training, she does ok for a while and then regresses. Sometimes she just yells into her arm...then she bites again. Its sad.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
I agree in concept, except she has always been a biter. Watch her. Even rocking on the couch she will clasp her hands and pull her arm to her mouth and yell. She is biting. Thats why when she yells/vocalizes really loudly when she is doing it, they push her arms down...the louder the yell the deeper the bite. And I think its kind of like potty-training, she does ok for a while and then regresses. Sometimes she just yells into her arm...then she bites again. Its sad.
Yup.
I have seen her do that many times.
It's just never been noticeably red or bloody until this week.

So I’m only on page 13 of 29.. so I don’t know if this has been said. But, I’m watching P’s new video making banana bread with Abbie.. if Abbie is such a “typical teen”, and “so smart”, and knows *all the things*, why would she look at Abbie and say “the oven is where we hide all your treats!!”. Because whether it’s a conscious or subconscious thought, she knows Abbie doesn’t understand a word she’s saying.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I agree. I never said she didnt have emotions, actually neither did they....was just repeating that she does not understand the concept, so they focus on things she can understand, which are things that she can learn by having tangible results, like candy, bath, or break. And I dont often defend them but as parents, if you even give up trying to teach your child "Mom" or "Dad", there is a reason for that.
Ok. I get what you're saying and while I agree that she doesn't understand emotions or NT displays of emotions and can't be taught complex emotional based things, I think there is still a possibility she can be taught some really simple things. As well as more action based signs so that she isn't signing "bathroom" everytime she wants them to do something for her or help her with something.

For those talking about a haircut for Abbie, I found this older video of when they had her hair shorter and was wondering if this was the style some of you had in mind?

Reactions: 6
Ok. I get what you're saying and while I agree that she doesn't understand emotions or NT displays of emotions and can't be taught complex emotional based things, I think there is still a possibility she can be taught some really simple things. As well as more action based signs so that she isn't signing "bathroom" everytime she wants them to do something for her or help her with something.

For those talking about a haircut for Abbie, I found this older video of when they had her hair shorter and was wondering if this was the style some of you had in mind?

Me too, totally. But on the same hand, it also shows she doesnt really understand "break" as she should either, or she wouldnt be signing "bathroom" all the time. Man....so complicated! LOL
Edited to add: Same with "all done". She could use that instead of bathroom too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I think Abbie (they did admit this too) is really only injuring herself when she sees they aren’t going in the car to get a treat. He talks like she’s mad they aren’t going anywhere, when realistically, the “anywhere end goal” to her is the treat they trained her for (because her mother & maternal gma reward w/ sugar). Even their leghumpers have said, go somewhere then. They can take a treat (i mean veggies) & drive. Abbie hates everywhere she normally goes anyway. Everything makes her hallucinate? & nervous. Hate to drug the girl up on anti-anxiety meds, but I sure hope they can manage her moods w/ a med that will also calm her anxiety some & not zonk her out.

Even though she was a huge eloper when younger, they really should’ve kept up with walks so it’s something she knows she can’t get out of. It almost sounds like FL is just too hot & humid from May until late Fall, which prevents them from exercising outdoors? When he mentioned moving P’s desk, I was hopeful that a treadmill went in it’s place! ha!

• Heart
  • Haha
Sadly most antianxiety medications do dope you. There are natural things you can use but those generally just take a minimal edge off. Like I said before I have taken the same meds they currently have Ab on... and the side effects can be really bad.

I think she would do great if they took a drive and let her listen to music and just get out. Pack a special snack if need be. But just going for a moment could help.

Some times when things get overwhelming... be it stress or emotions, people seek a release. When you have almost no control over anything that release can manifest as self injury. That happens to people not with ASD. But it can be amplified because of autism. Where a NT person might be annoyed and disappointed but can get over it on their own some with autism just don't have the mental tools to do so. So there ends up a cascade of emotions that there is no place for them to go. (Speaking as some one on the spectrum) This works for both negative and positive. Why impulse control can be tricky. There is a disconnect between actions and consequences

• Heart
Reactions: 10
If they live in trailers and aren't trailer trash, then it clearly doesn't apply to them. Fathering Autism fans who live in trailer parks and act like white trash ARE trailer trash.

People dont get offended over stuff like that unless they feel the sting of the truth.
So me referring to a certain area of town as “the ghetto” shouldn’t offend anyone either right? That makes zero sense, labeling a group of people by what they live in or where they live is wrong period. Trash people are just trash people .....no reason to add trailer park in front of the word trash. And of course there is the sting of truth, the first home I could afford was a trailer that I paid lot rental monthly to have located in a park......Ugh not sure why I am bothering to explain, you don’t seem to be very open-minded!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I agree, but she has such limited understanding, that if it prevented her from biting herself & going off the rails, then maybe there’s a time & a place for making it a teachable moment. Not defending them, but it was nighttime & hopefully they can take what they did there & really start working with her. All this homeschool stuff has really exposed what they don’t do for her. Every single day they should be working with her on sorting & fine motor skills. Priss throwing in a porcupine toy now is mind blowing. They should have cabinets filled with such items. Abbie is an overgrown toddler for sure. It is annoying to see her manipulate them.

Hearing her make more sounds as if she was trying to talk while on her way up to the kitchen was sad to hear, but they should also have her ipad ready at all times for her to communicate with. I’ll never forget how she didn’t qualify for a Dynavox, then a leghumper sent one at the tune of $7k. Abbie later broke it, which was part of the reason why the ins. wouldn’t cover hers. It’s obvious the Dr’s & teachers felt Abbie wouldn’t be able to use one & learn properly.
Yep, an overgrown toddler that bullys everyone around her. It is very annoying to see her behavior. I honestly have a hard time watching her without saying," my god, your ridiculous". Her family apparently likes to be bullied bc, they think all if her nasty behaviors are "cute" and "sweet", but, I guarantee you that the person she knocks out with her thrashing around isn't going to think any of it is cute or sweet. These folks most love it when she demands food all the time or constantly signs bathroom just so she dosent have to listen to their directions or attacks them when she sees that they aren't going anywhere right when she wants to go. They must love the yelling as well bc, none of these things are being addressed. The thing where they were sending her to her room lasted all but a few days it seems. I just can't listen to that tit and not loose my marbles. I'm sorry but, almost everything about Abigail and her family is either gross, pathetic or annoying.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yep, an overgrown toddler that bullys everyone around her. It is very annoying to see her behavior. I honestly have a hard time watching her without saying," my god, your ridiculous". Her family apparently likes to be bullied bc, they think all if her nasty behaviors are "cute" and "sweet", but, I guarantee you that the person she knocks out with her thrashing around isn't going to think any of it is cute or sweet. These folks most love it when she demands food all the time or constantly signs bathroom just so she dosent have to listen to their directions or attacks them when she sees that they aren't going anywhere right when she wants to go. They must love the yelling as well bc, none of these things are being addressed. The thing where they were sending her to her room lasted all but a few days it seems. I just can't listen to that tit and not loose my marbles. I'm sorry but, almost everything about Abigail and her family is either gross, pathetic or annoying.
They have all kinds of learning and sensory toys from their fans and used to keep a toy box full of them next to the couch in the old house, but they dont have that now.

Reactions: 13
They have all kinds of learning and sensory toys from their fans and used to keep a toy box full of them next to the couch in the old house, but they dont have that now.
The toy box has been heavily reduced and is in her room, but I bet Ab doesn’t remember that they are up there. There is also the large ottoman in the lounge, where there are blankets etc, but seems seldom used.

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.