Father of Daughters #49 Consumerism doesn’t equal happiness. Go count your kitchens.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does "planting heavily" really compensate for the grass? I mean, you could do both.....
I was just looking at their planters, they have very little width to them and I imagine they can’t be that deep for rooting purposes what with all his excitement with concrete ever other meter for all his fencing - it’s actually impossible to plant “heavily” in that garden. It’s yak and fake, just like Clemmies teeth! Stand down Kew you have nothing to fear.
205452C0-F491-40A6-A7FE-D41AA9EA62D7.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I was just looking at their planters, they have very little width to them and I imagine they can’t be that deep for rooting purposes what with all his excitement with concrete ever other meter for all his fencing - it’s actually impossible to plant “heavily” in that garden. It’s yak and fake, just like Clemmies teeth! Stand down Kew you have nothing to fear.
View attachment 842157
Not very enticing for birds/ insects either....it's the likes of Fodney we have to thank for the lack of biodiversity in our towns/ gardens
1 heavy down of rain and all the run off will be flowing down the street or into his cellar as no soil / shrubs/ trees to soak up the water and the heat reflected from these lawns increases the temperature in surroundings, causing a microclimate of its own
very bland garden- just like their 'curated' home
my garden is half the size of this and I have a large selection of wild birds visiting our garden/ feeders ( woodpeckers, long tailed tits, goldfinches, chiffchaff to name but a few) as well as toads, newts, hedgehogs, shrews, moles who did a number on my lawn last autumn admittedly!
In case he wasn't aware, as I haven't seen him ment this in any of his ramblings COP26 is taking place right now to try and sort out global warming for our childre's futures....not that Fodney could give a toss as long as he can hide in his cellar of wonders

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
That ‘garden’ is so utterly basic. And municipal. They have no taste, none at all. They aspire to be middle class but they like tacky tit, which is a bit of a giveaway. Soz, not soz Fodders.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
In defence of his plastic grass (and I only know this because I researched it heavily a while back, still haven’t decided what to do and tbh gardens like his do put me off getting it) but unless you leave your lawn to grow wild then your real grass won’t be much better for the environment. They don’t affect drainage as there’s usually a layer of sub base and then all the normal soil is still underneath? There’s pro’s and cons to both real and fake grass, saying fake is bad for the environment isn’t strictly true.

Fake grass has got a bad reputation mainly cause of how tit it often looks, a la Fodneys knock off Love Island setup. I’d be gutted if I decided to go ahead with artificial grass and it ended up looking as trashy as this

Reactions: 7
In defence of his plastic grass (and I only know this because I researched it heavily a while back, still haven’t decided what to do and tbh gardens like his do put me off getting it) but unless you leave your lawn to grow wild then your real grass won’t be much better for the environment. They don’t affect drainage as there’s usually a layer of sub base and then all the normal soil is still underneath? There’s pro’s and cons to both real and fake grass, saying fake is bad for the environment isn’t strictly true.

Fake grass has got a bad reputation mainly cause of how tit it often looks, a la Fodneys knock off Love Island setup. I’d be gutted if I decided to go ahead with artificial grass and it ended up looking as trashy as this
I understand what your saying in the short term but long term is the grass compostable? Or recyclable.

Ultimately it is made of plastic, what happens to it when it reaches the end of it's life? How Often does it need replaced?

I read something recently about consumption and it mentioned that recycling isn't always the answer we need to cut down on our usage.
Putting plastic down instead of grass so it looks good just seems to me to be baffling use of resources!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
can’t say goodbye forever to midwifery so I’m doing the odd shift to help out still
My new job is in abortion care, where I feel I can still support women at a time when they really need good and kind care
Have been reading your posts with interest & think this is such a lovely thing to pivot into. It sounds silly but even prior to having a baby I had a smear done by an ex-midwife and just instantly you’re relieved & comforted because you know their medical experience is top tier and they’re pro woman so going to listen and look after you. You’ll really help a lot of women in that role ❤

Agree with the stuff - actually in shock. Wrote this on the Jack Monroe thread but local Facebook groups have made regifting such an easy thing to do it makes no sense to hoard so much tit? Clemmie could even pay someone to sit in that basement for days on end doing eBay listings, they usually work for a % of takings so she wouldn’t even need to find the cash up front. Judging by the conditions in the basement most of it will be ruined by now tho 😞

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I understand what your saying in the short term but long term is the grass compostable? Or recyclable.

Ultimately it is made of plastic, what happens to it when it reaches the end of it's life? How Often does it need replaced?

I read something recently about consumption and it mentioned that recycling isn't always the answer we need to cut down on our usage.
Putting plastic down instead of grass so it looks good just seems to me to be baffling use of resources!
I guess it’s like anything- depends what you’re willing to pay for how long it might last. My neighbours have it, and when I was seriously considering it last year they dug out their receipts and theirs is 13 years old. I didn’t even know it had been around that long and theirs seems to have last pretty well. You can roll it back and add more sand to refresh it if it goes lumpy.

Meanwhile in that time I’ve gone through two lawnmowers- the first of which was a decent brand but at 8 years old was impossible to repair. And my neighbours haven’t consumed any lawnmowers! It really is much of a muchness- when you also factor in that a lot of folk water their lawns endlessly during summer to keep it alive, use chemicals etc fake grass does start to become an environmentally friendly option. For me it’s the wasteage of lawnmowers- all that manufacturing/machinery/the power each time you use it is more than a roll of plastic grass. I also did try to let mine grow more this year in between cuts but it just attracted all the local cat tit 😂😭😭

I have to say I’m most surprised about the fact Fod claims to have paid to have his installed?? Would love to know how discounted it was!! And what it would have looked like if he’d done it 🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I guess it’s like anything- depends what you’re willing to pay for how long it might last. My neighbours have it, and when I was seriously considering it last year they dug out their receipts and theirs is 13 years old. I didn’t even know it had been around that long and theirs seems to have last pretty well. You can roll it back and add more sand to refresh it if it goes lumpy.

Meanwhile in that time I’ve gone through two lawnmowers- the first of which was a decent brand but at 8 years old was impossible to repair. And my neighbours haven’t consumed any lawnmowers! It really is much of a muchness- when you also factor in that a lot of folk water their lawns endlessly during summer to keep it alive, use chemicals etc fake grass does start to become an environmentally friendly option. For me it’s the wasteage of lawnmowers- all that manufacturing/machinery/the power each time you use it is more than a roll of plastic grass. I also did try to let mine grow more this year in between cuts but it just attracted all the local cat tit 😂😭😭

I have to say I’m most surprised about the fact Fod claims to have paid to have his installed?? Would love to know how discounted it was!! And what it would have looked like if he’d done it 🥴
Gotta be honest I absolutely hate the idea and the concept of fake grass in the same way I hate the concept of any hard landscaping (eg just flagging over everything). My grass is a pain in the arse and often too dry/too wet, too long/too short, too mossy/too mushroomy etc etc, but it does attract the bees, the birds and various other wildlife (including my lovely hedgehog 🦔). I love early mornings and evening seeing the blackbirds hopping around digging up worms, I feel all David Attenborough and like I’m doing something good without doing anything at all 🤣

With that said, @EllsBellsWells you make a compelling argument and it’s clear you’ve done your research, your reasoning is brilliant and if I didn’t loathe it so much I would be convinced by what you had to say. You seriously should either think about becoming an influencer or a barrister.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
That ‘garden’ is so utterly basic. And municipal. They have no taste, none at all. They aspire to be middle class but they like tacky tit, which is a bit of a giveaway. Soz, not soz Fodders.
the entire house and garden is like 2017 Instagram projectile vomited all over it

• Haha
My guess is the sort of people who water their lawns endlessly, use chemicals on it, mow all the time etc. are probably the same people who - if they changed to artificial grass - would clean/vacuum it constantly, use chemicals on it including the ones that "smell of fresh cut grass!", buy power cleaners and power sweepers and replace the whole lot with new the minute it looks a bit tired.

This isn't a shopping list of ideas for collabs for you FOD, duck off 😜

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I really do not like the style of the house externally. It looks odd and out of place. The garden is also very overlooked by neighbours at all angles.

It just doesn't have any character whatsoever. Maybe that is just because of who the owners are. They have duck all personality between them.

Reactions: 9
Shouldn’t they have said the grass was discounted when it first went in?

I got gifted something today:

1635858041084.png

• Heart
Reactions: 7

This is why I love tattle, people can discuss things from both 'sides'. I guess I'd never thought of lawnmowers as a consumable product.
I never water mine or add chemicals, I find it particularly pleasing when it's about 2 inches long and the weedy flowers grow through and attract the bees.
I have also heard people who have disabilities find it good as it doesn't require maintenance.

As for FOd and all the other influencer types...they need to cut down on consumption!!!!

• Heart
Reminded me of the Lana del ray music video for the song ride - in the video she sells her body. 🤫

1635890881368.png
1635891049904.png

Happy for him lol :

So to almost round up this year:

Baubles
Two handled dog lead
Amazon tablet- when the twinnies were already glued to ipads.
CBD oil
Natwest AD
Discounted grass
Garden tiles
Garden furniture trolley

anything I missed?

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.