Father of Daughters #45 There are simply no words

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven’t been on the FOD threads for a while but I’ve just caught up and I have to say, I’m completely disgusted with him for posting about Marnie so soon after her diagnosis and the photo of her in hospital. I’m all for raising awareness of Type 1 (my daughter has it) but so soon?! FFS! It’s all about him and it’s a gross invasion of her privacy.
On another note, T1 a disease that’s often dismissed as being ‘not serious’ because it can be ‘managed’. But managing it is a full on, full time job. It means invasive finger pricks tests god knows how many times a day and either injections or an insulin pump and carb counting every morsel of food that passes your lips and taking into account any and all exercise you plan to do. Even with the new technology that make it easier to manage, it’s still 24 hours a day. I still get up in the night at 3am to check my daughters blood sugar and to make sure she hasn’t died in her sleep which is a very real possibility with someone with T1, and even then, keeping her blood sugar stable is almost impossible as it’s affected by everything, from food to sleep to exercise to hormones. Two days can be played out exactly the same and yet blood sugars can vary wildly and put her at risk of short term and long term complications. It’s exhausting. As a family, this is something we’ve dealing with for over 11 years now (my daughter was diagnosed at 2) and I still wouldn’t make a joke about it, because a) it’s not funny and b) it’s not my illness to be joking about. And even with all that in mind, I still wouldn’t compare our situation to a child (or anyone for that matter) with a terminal illness. He’s a fuckwit and it’s all going to be out there for M to see and look back on when she’s older.
As for the libre sensors; just buy them yourself, Simon. Use the DLA that you’ll be able to claim for it, it’s what it’s there for. We had to, before we could get the funding for them through the NHS and it’s a drop in the ocean compared to all the money and revenue they’ve had over the past few years.
❤❤❤ to you, you’re a super mummy and your daughter is a ⭐, it must require so much maturity and intelligence for such a young child to manage this condition bless her.

thank you for sharing I had no idea it was so dangerous, more should be taught in schools and even to new mummies to look out for the signs. A post like yours is educational and awareness raising, not pictures of a sick child at their medical rock bottom. I feel so sorry for her that he won’t just buy the device, but if you look at the shabby elder kids bedrooms versus the rooms, bathrooms, and dressers, oh and kitchens, of SODs it’s no surprise they’re selfish and vile.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
❤❤❤ to you, you’re a super mummy and your daughter is a ⭐, it must require so much maturity and intelligence for such a young child to manage this condition bless her.

thank you for sharing I had no idea it was so dangerous, more should be taught in schools and even to new mummies to look out for the signs. A post like yours is educational and awareness raising, not pictures of a sick child at their medical rock bottom. I feel so sorry for her that he won’t just buy the device, but if you look at the shabby elder kids bedrooms versus the rooms, bathrooms, and dressers, oh and kitchens, of SODs it’s no surprise they’re selfish and vile.
Thank you 😘❤❤

I wouldn’t blame anyone who doesn’t deal with diabetes for not understanding how serious it is. Until my daughter was diagnosed, I didn’t know anything about it and just thought it was a case of cutting out sweets and having a couple of insulin injections everyday (I was very wrong 😆) so on the one hand, it’s good that more people will become aware of it through FOD’s posts, but he’s gone about it in totally the wrong way, as per usual. There are a number of ways he could have done it without putting M in a hospital bed on his feed.
And don’t get me wrong, a teenager getting a diagnosis is different to a toddler getting a diagnosis and the new technologies are absolute gamechangers but M is going to have grow up overnight and be responsible for herself in a way that kids shouldn’t have to think about. I really feel for the poor kid and I hope that the ODs will be able to support her without FOD putting himself front and centre at it. She’s going to have more than enough to deal with.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Good to see you here @FrannyGallops! I hope your daughter is doing OK and the condition stabilised as well as it can be.

I think I missed the bit about him complaining about buying a device. Seriously? How much £ are we talking about compared to all the interiors crap they've shoved in our faces?

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Has anyone watched this documentary? I don't think there's a way for Clemmie to return. Maybe it would've been possible to "recover" from this 3 years ago but with all the BLM stuff and many black speaking up and white people getting more aware of the structural racism... No way.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Has anyone watched this documentary? I don't think there's a way for Clemmie to return. Maybe it would've been possible to "recover" from this 3 years ago but with all the BLM stuff and many black speaking up and white people getting more aware of the structural racism... No way.
This is the one that Candace B thought she was supposed to be presenting.

Reactions: 5
It’s been a while since I’ve been on this thread but he just popped up in my explore page and well, well, well! Seems like he’s been given some *type 1* content ! 🙈 oh he is going to milk this tit forever isn’t he.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I haven’t been on the FOD threads for a while but I’ve just caught up and I have to say, I’m completely disgusted with him for posting about Marnie so soon after her diagnosis and the photo of her in hospital. I’m all for raising awareness of Type 1 (my daughter has it) but so soon?! FFS! It’s all about him and it’s a gross invasion of her privacy.
On another note, T1 a disease that’s often dismissed as being ‘not serious’ because it can be ‘managed’. But managing it is a full on, full time job. It means invasive finger pricks tests god knows how many times a day and either injections or an insulin pump and carb counting every morsel of food that passes your lips and taking into account any and all exercise you plan to do. Even with the new technology that make it easier to manage, it’s still 24 hours a day. I still get up in the night at 3am to check my daughters blood sugar and to make sure she hasn’t died in her sleep which is a very real possibility with someone with T1, and even then, keeping her blood sugar stable is almost impossible as it’s affected by everything, from food to sleep to exercise to hormones. Two days can be played out exactly the same and yet blood sugars can vary wildly and put her at risk of short term and long term complications. It’s exhausting. As a family, this is something we’ve dealing with for over 11 years now (my daughter was diagnosed at 2) and I still wouldn’t make a joke about it, because a) it’s not funny and b) it’s not my illness to be joking about. And even with all that in mind, I still wouldn’t compare our situation to a child (or anyone for that matter) with a terminal illness. He’s a fuckwit and it’s all going to be out there for M to see and look back on when she’s older.
As for the libre sensors; just buy them yourself, Simon. Use the DLA that you’ll be able to claim for it, it’s what it’s there for. We had to, before we could get the funding for them through the NHS and it’s a drop in the ocean compared to all the money and revenue they’ve had over the past few years.
I totally agree. My son has had type 1 for 3.5 years (diagnosed at 8). Since then he’s had 2 seizures and 1 instance of DKA. I haven’t slept through the night since his diagnosis and fear that I’ll go into his room until be night to find that he’s died. It’s certainly not a laughing matter.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
I totally agree. My son has had type 1 for 3.5 years (diagnosed at 8). Since then he’s had 2 seizures and 1 instance of DKA. I haven’t slept through the night since his diagnosis and fear that I’ll go into his room until be night to find that he’s died. It’s certainly not a laughing matter.
I’m so sorry to hear that ❤ It’s frightening, isn’t it? Does your son use the libre? I’ve heard the new ones have an alarm on that can alert users to when their bs is dropping. Might also be worth asking about a CGM? I know some trusts are slow to fund this stuff, but ours is quite good in that respect. And I agree it’s most certainly not a joke. I unfollowed a notorious ‘disability advocate’ who sees ableism in just about everything, when she thought it was fine to make a ‘joke’ about getting diabetes underneath a photo of a cake 😑
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about lightening the mood, but it’s tiresome seeing people make jokes about eating sugar and being fat and linking it diabetes (which, incidentally is nothing to do with T1 and is probably only one of the factors in T2). So because T2 is associated with being overweight, it’s become one those diseases that it’s ok to make jokes about 🙄 Kids pick up on this sort of stuff and use it to bully, like children who have T1 don’t have enough to deal with ( and just to be clear that wasn’t the joke FOD was making).

As for FOD, I’m sure we’ll see more T1 lcontent coming our way, if the number of likes he got on the post about M is anything to go by. He hasn’t had engagement like that for a while.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
My heart goes out to type 1 sufferers and their families. It is horrific to carry such fear for the life 8f your child, and it is not something to share with random strangers. My father was type 2, diagnosed age 55. He wasn't overweight, he didn't drink alcohol, he didn't drink high sugar drinks, or have a bad diet, and he wasn't a desk bound worker. He managed it for many years on diet and tablets alone though he did end up on insulin. He eventually died aged 77 with heart failure, which was most likely related to his diabetes. I have just been told, as part of other investigations, that I am not diabetic. I squealed with delight.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m so sorry to hear that ❤ It’s frightening, isn’t it? Does your son use the libre? I’ve heard the new ones have an alarm on that can alert users to when their bs is dropping. Might also be worth asking about a CGM? I know some trusts are slow to fund this stuff, but ours is quite good in that respect. And I agree it’s most certainly not a joke. I unfollowed a notorious ‘disability advocate’ who sees ableism in just about everything, when she thought it was fine to make a ‘joke’ about getting diabetes underneath a photo of a cake 😑
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about lightening the mood, but it’s tiresome seeing people make jokes about eating sugar and being fat and linking it diabetes (which, incidentally is nothing to do with T1 and is probably only one of the factors in T2). So because T2 is associated with being overweight, it’s become one those diseases that it’s ok to make jokes about 🙄 Kids pick up on this sort of stuff and use it to bully, like children who have T1 don’t have enough to deal with ( and just to be clear that wasn’t the joke FOD was making).

As for FOD, I’m sure we’ll see more T1 lcontent coming our way, if the number of likes he got on the post about M is anything to go by. He hasn’t had engagement like that for a while.
Thanks. He’s just about to move onto the libre 2 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My heart goes out to type 1 sufferers and their families. It is horrific to carry such fear for the life 8f your child, and it is not something to share with random strangers. My father was type 2, diagnosed age 55. He wasn't overweight, he didn't drink alcohol, he didn't drink high sugar drinks, or have a bad diet, and he wasn't a desk bound worker. He managed it for many years on diet and tablets alone though he did end up on insulin. He eventually died aged 77 with heart failure, which was most likely related to his diabetes. I have just been told, as part of other investigations, that I am not diabetic. I squealed with delight.
Yes, there are a number of misconceptions around T2 as well, aren’t there? I think Steve Redgrave is T2 and he’s just about as far away as you can get from from the stereotypical idea of someone with T2.
I can really see FOD setting himself up as some sort of campaigner as disability accounts are the big thing at the minute. And that’s fine, but I really hope he takes M out of the equation if so and doesn’t use her for content. I know I’ve talked about how hard it is a parent to have a child with diabetes but that’s because this is an anonymous forum. I never, ever talk about anything like this in front of my daughter as I would hate for her to think she’s some sort of burden. She’s absolutely not and while it’s not the life I envisioned for her, I’m just glad she’s still with us (which is why I’d never liken it to a terminal illness. After all is said and done, she will hopefully lead a relatively normal life. Apologies if that sounds clumsy, but I hope you get what I mean).

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I am type 2 also Hatchet and i dont drink or smoke but i had my kidney removed last year and somehow it came after the surgery

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I am a t1 diabetic and have been for most of my life, diagnosed when I was 9. I would be horrified if my parents chose to share any part of my health with a bunch of strangers on the internet. I have been pondering this ever since Marnie's photo appeared, but I am just sad for her. Profoundly so. THe diagnosis is one thing but to be raised in that household where your welfare is secondary to likes and content on an internet app is just sad. I can remember so clearly the days when I was diagnosed and how upside down my world felt, to know my dad was gobbing off online (luckily I am older than the internet ;) and my dad has far more class) about school not being ready for me, the hardship of sleeping beside my hospital bed and how inconvenient this all was for him would have hurt me so much.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
FOD won’t campaign for tit, he’s too greedy. The hashtags are so the family can be #kindlygifted the perfect silk PJs to make their loooong nights in hospital feel luxe, the perfect candles to burn to decompress after a stint in hospital, house plants to improve air quality as its soOoO important now their child is unwell (obvs plants and candles not to go near her Tottenham bed sit room, for mummy’s dressing room ONLY), and some holidays cos they’ve really earnt it.

We’re talking about a man who can’t be fucked to pay £250 for a medical device, he doesn’t care.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.