Experiences with setraline

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I developed a weird tremor in my right arm when I was on sertraline. I notice it come on when I was anxious or thinking about something. I stopped noticing it after a while but my partner noticed it all the time and when he was hugging me or something my arm was jerking into his. It was like a tic. Weird feeling

Has anyone experienced really crazy vivid dreams whilst taking this? I’ve been taking them for 3 months. The dreams were WILD at the beginning then stopped but have since started up again even though my dose hasn’t changed. I spoke to my GP and she said she’d never heard of this happening before 🥴

Reactions: 2
Has anyone experienced really crazy vivid dreams whilst taking this? I’ve been taking them for 3 months. The dreams were WILD at the beginning then stopped but have since started up again even though my dose hasn’t changed. I spoke to my GP and she said she’d never heard of this happening before 🥴
Your gp is an idiot. Crazy dreams is a dead common side effect!!

Reactions: 3
I used take it at night and my dreams were wild and sometimes disturbing it's like it goes into the deep recesses of your mind. I switched to taking it on the morning and they've completely calmed down now.

I used take it at night and my dreams were wild and sometimes disturbing it's like it goes into the deep recesses of your mind. I switched to taking it on the morning and they've completely calmed down now.
Disturbing is definitely the right way to describe it! I do take it in the morning. Guess I’ll just wait and see if they disappear again 😅

First time posting in this thread. I have been on sertraline for almost two weeks, the first few days I was fine, then got really twitchy and anxious and then all of a sudden this week I feel exhausted, all day every day, I have next to no energy and feel like I could sleep around the clock, has anyone else had this? I don't know whether this is a late side effect or if there's something else going on?

Reactions: 1
First time posting in this thread. I have been on sertraline for almost two weeks, the first few days I was fine, then got really twitchy and anxious and then all of a sudden this week I feel exhausted, all day every day, I have next to no energy and feel like I could sleep around the clock, has anyone else had this? I don't know whether this is a late side effect or if there's something else going on?
Yeah I experienced this whilst on 150mg of sertraline, however I also found out that I had low vitamin D, Iron and folate so that also didn't help the matter.

Explain to your GP that your exhausted and see if they can send you for a blood test, that will let them know if you're deficient in anything x

I’m thinking of asking my gp to put me back up to 100mg. I’ve gone from 50 to 100 and now back down to 50 (3 weeks ago) and I thought it was working but I am noticing I am more panicky, feeling nauseous, crying more etc etc. I only switched from 100 to 50 because I could not handle to extreme sweating. I feel it’s a catch 22.
I’m just feeling so overwhelmed and a bit frightened by life! I’m a lone parent to a 2 year old boy and my day starts at 5am at the moment it’s all just a bit much

• Heart
I’m thinking of asking my gp to put me back up to 100mg. I’ve gone from 50 to 100 and now back down to 50 (3 weeks ago) and I thought it was working but I am noticing I am more panicky, feeling nauseous, crying more etc etc. I only switched from 100 to 50 because I could not handle to extreme sweating. I feel it’s a catch 22.
I’m just feeling so overwhelmed and a bit frightened by life! I’m a lone parent to a 2 year old boy and my day starts at 5am at the moment it’s all just a bit much
i am in a similar position with the catch 22.
Was on 50mg but still had anxiety, moved to 100mg but couldn’t tolerate most foods (i had to carry spare underwear with me😳), moved back to 50mg but couldn’t sleep. I’m now taking 25mg so I can get some sleep!

I have been on 50mg for just over 2 years, I feel I should have gone on it years ago as I have always had anxiety and my behavior hasn't always been the best and now I can see it was all mostly linked to an anxiety that had been there since i was a kid. I feel that parts of my life would have been more enjoyable / manageable had I been on it.

I am defo calmer but surely I can not stay on something for life?

I am worried that it has caused weight gain, I am also peri-menopause and I can not shift weight that has appeared since starting on setraline. This could just be age, i am also on the pill.

My main issue is that I can not cry, I feel sad emotion and sometimes i can not watch anything sad, but I am unable to express this. Sometimes I just want to cry and I can't.

I do still feel worry & anxiety but not to the extent that I did, which is a bonus.

I also find it hard to express happiness. It is like its just all blacked out, I just feel a bit numb.

I have a lot of change coming in the next few months and I feel that if I was to come off it then I would suffer greatly but then in the same respect I do not feel I am experiencing emotions (good and bad) in the way that I should be.

any advice / similar experiences?

• Heart
I was put on sertraline a few weeks ago by my GP for anxiety due to a stressful life event. I only managed 3 days on it - had really bad bladder effects. Couldn’t go more than an hour without needing to pee and had a constant dull ache in my abdomen. It’s listed as an uncommon side effect, so I must be unlucky. I googled it and did find others who have experienced the same thing, but it’s not super common. I went on Fluoxetine years ago (Prozac) and had the exact same thing happen to me, so I must be unable to tolerate SSRIs unfortunately.

GP said there are other anti depressants I could try, like tricyclic ones, but I’m too worried about the side effects, as I know they’re strongly linked with weight gain and other things.

I’m trying things like meditation, CBT and exercise to manage anxiety instead. I guess I wanted a magic pill to take it all away, if only it were that easy eh.

• Heart
Can I ask for some advice, regarding increasing dose and how/when you knew you needed to increase?

I’ve been on 50mg for about 6 months. I’ve pretty much always had what I would call ‘generalised’ anxiety…. usually manifesting in the sort of general feeling of dread, anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach and palpations. Not necessarily triggered by anything but just a general thing.

I started sertraline after my mum died very suddenly, followed very shortly after by a terrible break up - these two things really exacerbated my anxiety and after starting counselling, I decided to speak to the GP who put me on 50mg sertraline.

I’ve found it has worked wonders for my mood and have had much reduced/non existent anxiety. A few side effects but manageable. The last three weeks or so the anxiety is creeping back in and I’m waking up with the impending doom and sick feeling.

It is coming up to the year anniversary of my mum’s death which will of course be having an impact. I’m also a teacher and do find that at the start of the holidays I get quite anxious - mostly just the lack of routine and also this year I will be on my own a lot because of the break up.

I do all the things that help manage my anxiety - exercise, getting outside in the fresh air, making plans to meet up with friends etc - but these are more short term strategies that just help my anxiety in the moment, if that makes sense.

Sorry for rambling! I guess my question is - can anyone give advice about when they knew it was time to increase their dose? Or conversely, has anyone felt their anxiety worsen but not increased? I’m aware I will need to speak to the GP regardless and do have regular reviews, but was hoping to hear from others who actually take sertraline.

Can I ask for some advice, regarding increasing dose and how/when you knew you needed to increase?

I’ve been on 50mg for about 6 months. I’ve pretty much always had what I would call ‘generalised’ anxiety…. usually manifesting in the sort of general feeling of dread, anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach and palpations. Not necessarily triggered by anything but just a general thing.

I started sertraline after my mum died very suddenly, followed very shortly after by a terrible break up - these two things really exacerbated my anxiety and after starting counselling, I decided to speak to the GP who put me on 50mg sertraline.

I’ve found it has worked wonders for my mood and have had much reduced/non existent anxiety. A few side effects but manageable. The last three weeks or so the anxiety is creeping back in and I’m waking up with the impending doom and sick feeling.

It is coming up to the year anniversary of my mum’s death which will of course be having an impact. I’m also a teacher and do find that at the start of the holidays I get quite anxious - mostly just the lack of routine and also this year I will be on my own a lot because of the break up.

I do all the things that help manage my anxiety - exercise, getting outside in the fresh air, making plans to meet up with friends etc - but these are more short term strategies that just help my anxiety in the moment, if that makes sense.

Sorry for rambling! I guess my question is - can anyone give advice about when they knew it was time to increase their dose? Or conversely, has anyone felt their anxiety worsen but not increased? I’m aware I will need to speak to the GP regardless and do have regular reviews, but was hoping to hear from others who actually take sertraline.
I started on 25mg about three months ago and like you it was great at first but recently felt anxiety, sickness, etc creeping back in. Went back to the doctors and they’ve upped me to 50mg - too early to tell yet but hoping it’ll do the job. As an aside, apparently it’s unusual to start on 25mg as it’s very low so I’m optimistic that 50mg will help me 🤞

• Heart
If you're still feeling anxiety then definitely increase! I started on 100mg and then went through some horrific things and the tablets just weren't cutting it. My Dr increased me to 150mg and then up to 200mg...what she told me was the best piece of advice i've ever got from a psych...my mentality was that if i'm on 200mg then it means 'I must be really crazy/anxious' but she told me that the mg isn't reflective on how anxious someone is. Everyone is different....25mg may work wonders for some and they have exactly the same levels of anxiety as you or I. It's all about finding the right dose for you and finally after nearly 2 years i'm in my sweet spot!

If you're still feeling anxiety then definitely increase! I started on 100mg and then went through some horrific things and the tablets just weren't cutting it. My Dr increased me to 150mg and then up to 200mg...what she told me was the best piece of advice i've ever got from a psych...my mentality was that if i'm on 200mg then it means 'I must be really crazy/anxious' but she told me that the mg isn't reflective on how anxious someone is. Everyone is different....25mg may work wonders for some and they have exactly the same levels of anxiety as you or I. It's all about finding the right dose for you and finally after nearly 2 years i'm in my sweet spot!
Thank you - that’s really helpful ❤

• Heart
Had any one ever experienced excessive sweating on it? Kinda like hot flashes
Yes! I was always a cold person before I started taking Sertraline - now I’m always hot!! Especially at night. That and the awful lucid dreams it’s a surprise I get any decent sleep 😅