Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mysteryy

Chatty Member
I absolutely hate it. I've never been a sweaty person before but feeling beads of sweat on your top lip just isn't what I'm wanting!

Reactions: 2

Mysteryy

Chatty Member
So in all honesty, it was a life changer for me but I've since switched to something else.

I had a lot of side effects like teeth grinding, sweating, dizziness, headaches and nausea. Nausea was only for A week after starting or increase. Sex drive was non existent and I did put on a lot of weight. I stayed on it for about 8 months as it gave me mood stability and decreased intrusive memories. As I felt more stable, I got Dr's advice and gradually came off it, which was similar effects to starting. My moods are horrendous now so going to start ant.

In short, I had a lot of side effects but knowing what I know now, I'd still have went on it for that 8 month relief to get stable to manage a switch.

nothanksbabes

VIP Member
I've been on Sertraline since last March and have suddenly developed insomnia... Last night I slept from 10.30pm til midnight and then was awake for hours, the day before I was nodding off at 5pm but then awake til after 4am. I don't understand why it makes me able to sleep at any time except night. I've never struggled to sleep before. When I do manage to sleep I have wild dreams.

The night sweats are also horrible and still going strong.

• Sad

aidil

VIP Member
I absolutely loved sertraline whilst I was on it even though I found it a bit hard to sleep and had 0 libido (and it was very difficult to orgasm). It really did feel like a magic pill for depression and anxiety. For me it was definitely worth the libido issues.

But I started to get this crazy unexplained bruising all over my body within about a month of using it, like bruises the size of my palm, maybe around ten of them on each thigh. I went off and on it about four times and they would clear and then come back within a month of being on sertraline. I actually got scared I had blood cancer so I went off and had blood tests (all OK, just thyroid issues mainly).

I ended up permanently coming off it because of the bruising. I was worried whether it might be happening in my organs etc. too. I am usually very pro-medication and I don't scare easy. I guess I just wanted to say if anyone does get the bruising, consider whether it might be sertraline. it's extremely uncommon but thought it might be helpful to know. I would use sertraline if I didn't get these effects.
I’ve definitely noticed more bruising than I’d normally get since I started the tablets. I’m often covered in them anyway as I work with animals but I get plenty of unexplained ones on my legs now. Also been really struggling in the heat - feel so much more sensitive to it since I started taking sertraline cos they make me sweat even on a normal day!

swimming

VIP Member
100% feel you. It is absolutely horrific for me during the night, I am pouring with sweat. I’ve noticed that as soon as I exert myself even slightly it starts. I feel like I am a lot hotter than I ever used to be. It’s awful.
Exactly this. Took my kid to a playgroup today and I was just standing there talking to another mum and my forehead was dripping - just standing there talking. I’m so self conscious of it and I know other people can see it but I’m not happy advertising the fact I’m taking sertraline. It’s getting to the point I’m avoid going out and ‘doing stuff’ because I can’t stand it.

nothanksbabes

VIP Member
I have now been upped to 100mg. For reference I have cPTSD, depression, anxiety, OCD, dermatillomania and disordered eating/bulimia. I also have BPD which affects my mental health greatly.

I need this medicine to work. I've been put on it because my previous one wasn't pregnancy safe and we are having fertility treatment soon. It was supposed to be the second week in December but I've had to defer it for 12w because of my poor mental health.

I need to reach the top of the therapy list to restart EMDR. It was going so well then covid hit.

Love to all from me - I'm a sweaty mess having just woken up 😂 I will happily take the sweats if I can find some peace. I'm constantly torn between feeling I would be better dead and being terrified of ceasing to exist.
I really hope it works for you and good luck with the fertility treatment.

Your last sentence is me summed up. Absolute existential terror mixed with suicidal ideation. Make it make sense! 😭

I'm a skin picker too and was about to start EMDR but ran out of money for it just before the pandemic hit 🙁.

• Heart

StillLucilleBluth

VIP Member
Oh man. Tonight I took it with only a *sip* of water, absentmindedly. Bad idea. You guys weren’t kidding about needing lots of water. Will the burning ever go away? 😖🤢

• Sad

larderdrama

I've been on and off setraline for 10 years at 100mg. Luckily I haven't experienced any side effects buy when I do take it I feel quite numb. The anxiety / low mood goes but then I'm not my 'old' self either I'm just quite emotionless. There have definitely been times where a situation should have made me feel stressed (e.g. having done no work for a deadline) but I'm just neutal and don't care (when I'm taking them).

friedeggontoast

Chatty Member
Stupid question:
Has anyone tried starting with half a dose before going up? I've been given 50g for a month but the side effects really frighten me. I was thinking could I half the tablet and start with that?
In my experience I got side effects when I started on 50mg and when I increased to 100mg so I don’t know if there would be a huge difference from starting with half or just doing the 50mg.

Sertraline has completely changed my life. I had crippling OCD before and it essentially cured me. Recently I’ve started small habits coming back but I’m working on getting rid of those!

• Heart

elloelloello

VIP Member
Not sure if this is Sertraline related or not so thought I’d post here to see if anyone else has experienced similar.

But basically I get suuuuper tired and feel unwell, like how you feel when you’re about to come down with the flu, but then as soon as I eat something I’m instantly better and full of energy. Could just be normal blood sugar dropping but how unwell I feel seems a little dramatic for it to just be that.
I could have wrote this myself! I have been poorly for about a week now (caught strep a from my child!) but even getting over the illness and before I feel really achy and sore and sick, sweaty but then I eat and I feel better.. but I have no appetite so I’m struggling to eat! It’s a vicious circle but I’m hoping it will be worth it in the end.

aidil

VIP Member
The side effects at the start are definitely a bit ropey but for me, it was completely worth it. My anxiety and OCD was controlling my life and I feel like I’m back in the driver’s seat now. I’m more focussed, I’m not ruminating on every single thing that happens during my day and I’m generally quite care-free now which is a feeling I’d never experienced before in my entire life! It’s completely changed my life for the better.

HoneyBee29

VIP Member
I missed a 50mg dose last week and within 24 hours I had a horrible headache, felt really sick and had super upset stomach! I want come off them in the summer and already dreading the withdrawal!

Also tempted to swap to another type cos i’m soooo tired all the time and even though my anxiety is better I feel really down
Im planning on phoning my GP in the next month to start weaning off but cause I’m on 100mg they’ll reduce to 50mg. Been on them nearly 3 years and want to start trying for another baby so would like to start weaning off it. I know they’re safe to take while pregnant but would just rather be on a lower dose. I’m also really tired on them all the time as well, but compared to how I felt before I went on it would rather be tired.
---
Everyone is different, it’s changed my life immeasurably.
Same here literally was in the pits of postpartum depression before I started taking them, they do make me tired but would rather be tired than how I felt before.

• Heart

shadowcat5

VIP Member
So I took 25mg last night and I feel funky lol. Bit of nausea but my IBS has flared up atm so could be that and I didn't have much of an appetite anyway.

My jaw feels weird. It's like tender? And my legs feel heavy and also tender? I also had the shakes last night but seems to have subsided today.

itsnotmereally

VIP Member
These sweaty legs! Have a a review next week as have recently gone on up to 150mg, go me! Think I will have to mention it as it’s waking up at night so uncomfortable.

• Heart