Ex Slimming World Disordered Eating Recovery #2 Underestimating Our Desire To Eat Pasta

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not sure how helpful this is, but if it was me I would eat one after I'd weigh myself, if the scales showed something you didn't want you may blame it on the pizza and demonise it even further, that one pizza won't undo any hard work you've put in over the week x
If you do this though you're living a life ruled by the scales.

If you move the pizza to after weighing yourself you're already in the mind set that the pizza will cause a gain.

Fact is you're very likely to put on a pound after a takeaway pizza due to salt causing water retention, the day after if you hydrate well and eat less sodium it will be gone.

A healthy mind set would be to weigh yourself and accept you're a bit heavier that day due to the pizza the night before and know that its not a fat gain but water retention.

Moving 'treats' around a weigh in serves no purpose.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
If you do this though you're living a life ruled by the scales.

If you move the pizza to after weighing yourself you're already in the mind set that the pizza will cause a gain.

Fact is you're very likely to put on a pound after a takeaway pizza due to salt causing water retention, the day after if you hydrate well and eat less sodium it will be gone.

A healthy mind set would be to weigh yourself and accept you're a bit heavier that day due to the pizza the night before and know that its not a fat gain but water retention.

Moving 'treats' around a weigh in serves no purpose.
Very good advice! You do have to grit your teeth and weigh yourself even when you feel like you’ve gone up. The more you do it the more you see the natural variations in your weight and it starts to mean less and less. How are you feeling in your clothes? Do you feel happy? Are you sleeping well? How hungry are you? Did you get your steps in today? Did you have a PB in the gym? All of those metrics become as if not more important than the scale weight.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Very good advice! You do have to grit your teeth and weigh yourself even when you feel like you’ve gone up. The more you do it the more you see the natural variations in your weight and it starts to mean less and less. How are you feeling in your clothes? Do you feel happy? Are you sleeping well? How hungry are you? Did you get your steps in today? Did you have a PB in the gym? All of those metrics become as if not more important than the scale weight.
Yep.
And never forget you can lose inches off your measurements and gain weight on the scale.

So despite being slightly heavier one week you could still be physically smaller.

Reactions: 5
Yep.
And never forget you can lose inches off your measurements and gain weight on the scale.

So despite being slightly heavier one week you could still be physically smaller.
This is exactly where Slimmingworld fall down isn’t it, too much focus on ‘weight’ on the scales when in fact weight is a combination of many things, not just fat.

Reactions: 8
This is exactly where Slimmingworld fall down isn’t it, too much focus on ‘weight’ on the scales when in fact weight is a combination of many things, not just fat.
Exactly.
Its also why they discourage exercise.

If you start exercising or going for long walks after a long period of sedentary lifestyle you'll likely gain a few pound at first or you'll stop losing because of fuid retention in newly active muscles.

I think its healthier to begin exercising and gain 2lb than sit on sofa all week and lose 4lb

Reactions: 8
Exactly.
Its also why they discourage exercise.

If you start exercising or going for long walks after a long period of sedentary lifestyle you'll likely gain a few pound at first or you'll stop losing because of fuid retention in newly active muscles.

I think its healthier to begin exercising and gain 2lb than sit on sofa all week and lose 4lb
I could never understand why SW was so against exercise, I was in my 30’s & took up running & started going to gym classes & it was frowned upon yet they banged on about body magic. Thankfully I ditched Slimming World & kept up with the exercise as I feel that’s more beneficial for my body then free food & syns.

• Heart
I really want to try the new dominos pizza but it’s SOOOO calorific and I know it’ll bloat me when I weigh myself tomorrow 😞 tying myself up in knots about it, trying to work out the cals of the different sized pizzas to get the lowest cal option
1) you don’t have to weigh every week, or even at all, you can measure progress through measurements or clothes sizes

2) as long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose fat, which is different from losing weight

3) if you are craving something, work it into your diet in small amounts therefore you are less likely to gorge on things

Reactions: 6
Its so sad reading these posts, I've never been sw. I got interested in the thread with things that was mentioned. I have a past Ed and some things that have been mentioned have been massive alarm bells. I think sw is a massive Ed waiting to happen but is missed due to nhs rules

Reactions: 11
I’ve just read the first thread and so many stories resonate with me, it’s awful how SW can do such harm to peoples relationships with food. It’s been years since I done it but I’m still always weighing 30g of cheese or 40g of oats even though 40g of oats doesn’t fill me up at all, there’s a mental block for me that doesn’t allow me to move past it.
One thing that has helped me is getting things like gousto, I think I like that everything is all pre measured and I feel like I am taking a little bit of power back when I have a “normal” meal. When I add them to a calorie tracker and compare it to the rest of the calories I can have that day it seems mad that I used to obsess over whether or not I could have bread because I’d already had oats when in reality I have the calories for both!

I’ve struggled with my weight for years like a yo-yo.

I’ve never done slimming world personally, but I remember having an eating disorder, being underweight at the time and attending slimming world with an ex to support them.

What I saw was absolutely disgusting. It was like a pyramid scheme mixed with shaming and humiliating people. There was nothing positive, nothing psychologically benefiting. I hated having to sit there and hear people justify why they had put on weight that week. “It was raining everyday on my lunch break so I couldn’t go for a walk” - why does anyone feel forced to give that justification? Horrific.

Reactions: 11
I could never understand why SW was so against exercise, I was in my 30’s & took up running & started going to gym classes & it was frowned upon yet they banged on about body magic. Thankfully I ditched Slimming World & kept up with the exercise as I feel that’s more beneficial for my body then free food & syns.
They're delusional about that body magic (can't even write that without an arse clenching cringe). They say anything can be body magic - going the shops on foot, cleaning the car. Ok those things get you moving and are better than nothing but all the experts I've read say exercise has to be deliberate and in addition to your days ordinary activities. Unless you're doing lunges and squats in the bread aisle it's not something that should be counted towards your weekly exercise target. They're allowing people to really overestimate what they're doing.

• Haha
They're delusional about that body magic (can't even write that without an arse clenching cringe). They say anything can be body magic - going the shops on foot, cleaning the car. Ok those things get you moving and are better than nothing but all the experts I've read say exercise has to be deliberate and in addition to your days ordinary activities. Unless you're doing lunges and squats in the bread aisle it's not something that should be counted towards your weekly exercise target. They're allowing people to really overestimate what they're doing.
Oh that used to wind me up too. You’d get people putting down things like ‘45 minutes housework’ and then getting their cringe body magic awards for it. Like anything that’s not sitting on their arse is body magic. Does lifting the remote count as weight training?

• Haha
They've actually brought out SW exercise vids now. Likely because they were taking flack on tiktok and elsewhere for discouraging exercise.

The thing is the sample vid they have available for free is hilariously low intensity, literally just moving side to side

Screenshot_20230416-125536_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230416-125549_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230416-125626_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
They've actually brought out SW exercise vids now. Likely because they were taking flack on tiktok and elsewhere for discouraging exercise.

The thing is the sample vid they have available for free is hilariously low intensity, literally just moving side to side

View attachment 2104303View attachment 2104304View attachment 2104305
Another money spinner for people lacking the ability to browse YouTube for free workouts. Anything that's been modified to allow people to not even get their arse of the chair screams sham. If it doesn't challenge you it doesn't change you. I know chair based exercise can be great for those with mobility issues or disabilities but you just know some lazy heifer will use it to delude themselves that they're very active.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Why does every big loser who makes it to the papers always mention spag bol and curries?

i wonder does the paper interview the person themselves or do these articles come from SW press office?
Screenshot_20230416-224511_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Does anyone use the lose it app? I’ve been using it spoardacially in between SW attempts. I love how easy it is to scan things but I find logging home made recipes a bit time consuming. I link tracking my water and seeing like protein and stuff on the charts.

Why does every big loser who makes it to the papers always mention spag bol and curries?

i wonder does the paper interview the person themselves or do these articles come from SW press office?
View attachment 2105794
A friend of mine lost about 11st on Slimming World. IIRC, she won some kind of biggest loser award in group, and then some sort of regional award. She then got approached by SW‘s PR team and they asked if she wanted to be in the Daily Mail with a few other women who’d lost a similar amount. Her weight loss story had a certain angle, and that’s pretty much all they focused on for the whole piece. And yeah, they banged on a LOT about pasta. Like she mentioned in her interview she liked pasta and they went on about how she could still gorge on pasta, making her sound really greedy! She also featured in a bunch of other papers as syndicated content and got into like three of those really crap women’s magazines. Think Take a Break but worse.

She did keep the weight off but she lot it in her early 20s and became very active, so I think that helped a lot.

Reactions: 9
An elderly and portly chap a who goes to my church was told he had to had to lose weight for his health was given vouchers for slimming world.
After the service while we were having coffee he refused a biscuit (he usually managed three) telling us about SW and how he was allowed 15 syns a day.
The vicar, who was standing behind him, put his hand on his shoulder and said
“ not in this church you’re not!”
He lost the weight, proposed to his lady friend and she now has him on a healthy diet.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15