Ex Slimming World Disordered Eating Recovery #2 Underestimating Our Desire To Eat Pasta

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello fellow ex slimming worlders!

I have just decided to quit SW for what feels like the millionth time. I'm finally seeing how damaging it is after years of hopping on and off the plan.

I do need to lose weight but I want to do it in a manner which is safe, attainable and where I won't beat myself up if I eat too many 'syns' (hate that word!). Having suffered an ED since my teens, SW massively triggers me.

Can anyone offer any helpful advice? I was intrigued by intermittent fasting if anyone has any experience with this?

TIA xx

• Heart
Reactions: 7

I have just decided to quit SW for what feels like the millionth time. I'm finally seeing how damaging it is after years of hopping on and off the plan.

I do need to lose weight but I want to do it in a manner which is safe, attainable and where I won't beat myself up if I eat too many 'syns' (hate that word!). Having suffered an ED since my teens, SW massively triggers me.

Can anyone offer any helpful advice? I was intrigued by intermittent fasting if anyone has any experience with this?

TIA xx
Well done for leaving!

Its very easy to intermittant fast. For example If you don't eat between 7pm and 7am its a 12 hour fast.

I leave between 10 and 12 hours between my evening meal and breakfast. I find it helps regulate my hunger and I sleep better.

Was hard at first as kept feeling hungry at 10pm at first the way I got through it was just go to sleep and eventually that stopped as I got used to it.

Just doing that isn't a magic bullet however that allows you to eat as much as you want and all intermittant fasting plans that are sold in books etc involve calorie counting and or food restriction around it.

You could easily give it a go by downloading a calorie counting app like nutracheck and then eat earlier in evening or later in morning to give yourself a fast.

Reactions: 5

TIA xx
It is encouraging to see that lots of people are seeing how damaging slimming world is for food relationships and mental health. The weight loss apps from the NHS having made very good progress. They are worth looking at too in addition to the others. I use BBC good food too for recipe ideas.

• Heart
It is encouraging to see that lots of people are seeing how damaging slimming world is for food relationships and mental health. The weight loss apps from the NHS having made very good progress. They are worth looking at too in addition to the others. I use BBC good food too for recipe ideas.
I bookmarked this post on the last thread, it might helip anyone new here

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I walked away last week. I've descended into madness... weighing clothes to find the lightest, not wearing underwear to weigh in, purging, barely eating for 2 days before weigh day amongst other things. I've never had a very good relationship with food, but it's now much worse. I had an appointment with the practice nurse this morning for something unrelated. She asked if I had a good diet and it all came tumbling out. She made me an appointment to see the gp next week. It's a start.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I bookmarked this post on the last thread, it might helip anyone new here

Thanks those are useful. I don’t count every mouthful with Nutracheck but tend to roughly assign myself calories for each meal. So 400ish for breakfast, then 600 or so for lunch and dinner. Always good to get more ideas and it’s amazing the amount of foods you can eat that aren’t bloody overnight oats or miserable pasta dishes!

Reactions: 8
I walked away last week. I've descended into madness... weighing clothes to find the lightest, not wearing underwear to weigh in, purging, barely eating for 2 days before weigh day amongst other things. I've never had a very good relationship with food, but it's now much worse. I had an appointment with the practice nurse this morning for something unrelated. She asked if I had a good diet and it all came tumbling out. She made me an appointment to see the gp next week. It's a start.
I could have actually written some of this myself, especially the bit about the clothes....I've seen me go to class in the dead of winter...-10 degrees with what I called my "fat class clothes" on, this was cycling shorts, a vest and sliders.....wrong on so many levels but not once did my consultant take me aside and tell me it was wrong and there was no need.....in fact I once got to half a pound off my target and the consultant tried to get me to go and take my underwear off to weigh less!! Its taken me over 20 years to realise what an awful cult it is.....I too would starve all day on weigh day......then go to the chippy on the way home.....we where told the only way to ensure losses every week was to stay to group.......I grew to Absolutely hate them...rude people talking over one and other.....the consultant saying the same old things week after week....its depressing and we were all paying for this Haha! I have now deleted myself from the group...deleted the consultant from my facebook and I feel like a weight has been lifted already!!

• Wow
Reactions: 19
This is good advice. If you’re starting to calorie count, don’t aim at 1200 or around that much. Work out your calorie deficit (calculators online) and ease your way into it. When I started I was on 1800-1900 for nearly four weeks to get used to being honest about what I was actually eating and tracking everything. If you start so low you’ll never stick to it and therefore fail and probably give up.

Reactions: 4
Ex target member here - still at target but haven’t been for ages and trying to kick the disordered habits, can relate to so much here! Including not eating on weigh day and not taking in any fluids all day to the point I’d get massive headaches. Then it got to me not eating the day before either just because I was scared to gain. I still have of fear foods too but trying to move forward with calorie counting as I’m terrified to gain weight. Going to have a good read of the past thread!

Reactions: 11
One of the hardest things for me was ditching the fry light and going back to using olive oil etc I had such a mental block about it.

Fry light for certain things like omelettes in a non stick pan doesn’t make much difference as you would be using hardly any oil anyway but for curries etc frying the spices you are just going to burn them 😫 and meat just ends up stuck to the pan! If you’re using oil in sensible quantities anyway the calories when split between the portions are negligible. Not deep frying stuff obvs but just frying your onions in oil isn’t going to hurt, plus it’s using natural ingredients rather than a chemical tit storm.

On another note I’ve just had an entire medium avocado for breakfast on a bagel thin, soz SW 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 15
One of the hardest things for me was ditching the fry light and going back to using olive oil etc I had such a mental block about it.

Fry light for certain things like omelettes in a non stick pan doesn’t make much difference as you would be using hardly any oil anyway but for curries etc frying the spices you are just going to burn them 😫 and meat just ends up stuck to the pan! If you’re using oil in sensible quantities anyway the calories when split between the portions are negligible. Not deep frying stuff obvs but just frying your onions in oil isn’t going to hurt, plus it’s using natural ingredients rather than a chemical tit storm.

On another note I’ve just had an entire medium avocado for breakfast on a bagel thin, soz SW 🤣🤣🤣
I’ve just put my porridge on with all milk instead of half milk, half water.

• Heart
Ex target member here - still at target but haven’t been for ages and trying to kick the disordered habits, can relate to so much here! Including not eating on weigh day and not taking in any fluids all day to the point I’d get massive headaches. Then it got to me not eating the day before either just because I was scared to gain. I still have of fear foods too but trying to move forward with calorie counting as I’m terrified to gain weight. Going to have a good read of the past thread!
I found the best way to get over fear foods was to eat them in moderation (took years to do this) and when I either in my case still lost weight or didn't gain weight I realised they were nothing to fear and wouldn't make me gain 5lbs overnight.

I do still have a funny attitude with whitebread sometimes and chocolate at times though, so still a work in progress.

Olive oil is actually scientifically good for you and frylight likely ruins your insides as well as pans...

For people who are scared of using too much oil like I was, I found a good way to bridge the gap from frylight was to get a spray bottle you fill yourself from Amazon

LAOLINGSY Oil Sprayer Dispenser, Oil spray bottle Vinegar Sprayer, Dressing Spray Grilling Olive Oil Glass Bottle 100ml, Kitchen Gadgets for Air Fryer Kitchen Cooking Salad Baking BBQ https://amzn.eu/d/7i1wIgZ

Reactions: 6

Frylight is so crap. Yeah it really burns things like spices. Completely ruins stuff like roast potatoes as it makes them hard and plasticky. Remember when they did flavoured ones? They all just tasted like chemicals.

I always try to remember that people in the med use loads of olive oil, yet they have lower obesity rates and live longer. It’s the countries with fake crap that have more health issues.

I really want to try the new dominos pizza but it’s SOOOO calorific and I know it’ll bloat me when I weigh myself tomorrow 😞 tying myself up in knots about it, trying to work out the cals of the different sized pizzas to get the lowest cal option

I really want to try the new dominos pizza but it’s SOOOO calorific and I know it’ll bloat me when I weigh myself tomorrow 😞 tying myself up in knots about it, trying to work out the cals of the different sized pizzas to get the lowest cal option
Please just get the one you want. If you're anything like me, it would play on your mind for days/weeks and I would end up binging on all sorts of things because I'd restricted myself from what I actually wanted.
Have as much as you feel satisfied with, enjoy it, move on x

• Heart
Reactions: 10
The thin crust large domino’s is just over 2000 cals for the whole thing. If you share it with someone and put it with a side salad to fill you up then that’s not bad.

BUT frankly I’d just enjoy it. You won’t gain weight overnight having a big pizza unless you make a habit out of it.

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but if it was me I would eat one after I'd weigh myself, if the scales showed something you didn't want you may blame it on the pizza and demonise it even further, that one pizza won't undo any hard work you've put in over the week x

Reactions: 4
Don’t forget it takes 7,700 calories to put on 1kg of fat. And that’s not factoring things like hormones, water weight, salt. Just live your life and don’t worry about what the scales say. Weigh yourself twice a week and look at MONTHLY picture not a daily gain. If you equate what you eat directly with scale weight, you’ll never be free of the cycle. EAT THE PIZZA!

Reactions: 10
Do you HAVE to weigh yourself tomorrow?
Theres no need to put pressure on yourself and weigh yourself once a week outside of SW you could change days or weigh every 10 days or even fortnightly.

The most accurate way is actually monthly as week to week if you're a woman hormones and water retention disrupt things

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Thankyou everyone ❤ apologies if this isn’t the right place or I’m triggering people

Reactions: 1