Ex Slimming World Disordered Eating Recovery #2 Underestimating Our Desire To Eat Pasta

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel like I’ve finally broken free from the regimented eating patterns brought on by SW!

Yesterday I didn’t have any lunch because I just wasn’t hungry, I had a crumpet in the afternoon when I was a bit peckish with a cup of tea and that kept me going until dinner which was a recipe from one of the 2CC books, but not once did I think of syns, or that I’d not had lunch etc, just ate when I was hungry. Imagine on SW a crumpet with butter would use all your syns, yet I could have had a ‘free’ lunch of a huge bowl of pasta which would have been so many more calories.

With SW I was constantly thinking of food, working out how I would use my healthy extras and I ate according to that most of the time rather than actually when I was hungry and for what!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
My local SW group must be getting desperate, I haven't been for 3 years (went with my daughter for a month, realised how toxic it is, never went back). I got a handwritten card offering help to 'start the year off right'.

Immediately flashbacks to lean bacon medallions, muller yoghurts and litres of sugar free squash 😭

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
My local SW group must be getting desperate, I haven't been for 3 years (went with my daughter for a month, realised how toxic it is, never went back). I got a handwritten card offering help to 'start the year off right'.

Immediately flashbacks to lean bacon medallions, muller yoghurts and litres of sugar free squash 😭
Me too - I though it was a nice New Year card until I read the 3rd line and it went into the SW waffle, straight in the bin.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I feel like I’ve finally broken free from the regimented eating patterns brought on by SW!

Yesterday I didn’t have any lunch because I just wasn’t hungry, I had a crumpet in the afternoon when I was a bit peckish with a cup of tea and that kept me going until dinner which was a recipe from one of the 2CC books, but not once did I think of syns, or that I’d not had lunch etc, just ate when I was hungry. Imagine on SW a crumpet with butter would use all your syns, yet I could have had a ‘free’ lunch of a huge bowl of pasta which would have been so many more calories.

With SW I was constantly thinking of food, working out how I would use my healthy extras and I ate according to that most of the time rather than actually when I was hungry and for what!
Congratulations! I’m also feeling like I’m coming out of the SW mindset. Have been doing 16:8 and kicked a long standing evening snack addiction and am roughly counting calories (although not obsessively).

Being able to not obsess about foods is great. I feel SW is so much planning and prep that food becomes a massive thing in your life. It’s hard not to obsess when you literally can’t pick up a sandwich when you’re out for lunch because of syns. Or when ‘being good’ means eating a miserable potato for lunch.

Do 2CC still doing slimming world? It feels like a lot of the old bloggers don’t bother anymore.

• Heart

They should not even be holding your details on file after that long without your permission. I had to block a consultant who kept whatsapping me after I'd not been to her class in about 3 years! They're so annoying

• Wow
Reactions: 13
Yes! And I caved before Christmas and rejoined with a friend 😞
But every time I sit in a meeting I have to restrain myself from rolling my eyes. When you really think about it, none of it makes sense.
I can theoretically eat 10 bananas and not have to “counf” them, yet if I go out to dinner with OH, the bottle of wine we share will push me over my “syns” for the day, despite the fact that it would be a fraction of the calories of the 10 bananas 🤷‍♀️
Every time I have a night out, no matter how careful I am, I’m going to end up going over syn budget, because no matter how they try to sell it, it’s a bloody inflexible plan.
And when I think I’ve blown it for the week, I end up binging.
So I’m another who has switched to Nutracheck.
It’s a faff logging everything sometimes but I feel so free being able to eat without worrying that it’s not on plan.
I go to get weighed every week and stay to support my friend, and in fairness she’s losing weight on the plan although she’s being so strict that I don’t think she can possibly sustain it.
I just think it’s anti the enjoyment of real food.
Don’t forget the absolute nonsense that yes it’s fine to have those 10 bananas but if you mash them up first you need to syn them 😆

Have just read this thread from the start and am so glad it’s not just me. I first went this time of year 11 years ago as wanted to lose weight for being 40. I lost weight but my problem has always been portion size cos i am a greedy guts! SW did absolutely nothing to help that, in fact it made it worse as I would literally make and eat a full packet of pasta for my tea several times a week. I found at the groups I went to it was mostly very overweight people who had no idea how to cook or about nutrition and the chat was all about tweaks or how to make easy free meals and save syns for a blowout (usually after weigh in). Seen folk wear heavy clothes, keep jacket on with keys/purse in and have their tea before first meeting (returners) then the next week have not eaten and wear v light clothes so they ‘lost loads’ the first week to get them motivated 🙄
The eat 50 chemical filled shitey muller lights ‘free’ a day but avoid avocados cos they were too high in syns got me too plus the synning of lockets/tunes/cough medicine and in the end I was paying every week and either not going cos I knew I’d gained or sitting there having to actively stop myself rolling my eyes at the crap ‘science’
I now do intermittent fasting all the time and keep my meals lowish carb if wanting to lose, have full fat eveything if I want it (apart from milk as I only like green milk) and if away or going out just adjust my fasting window. It suits me as I never liked eating breakfast even as a child and means I can have a large ish meal when I do eat and still be in an overall calorie deficit.
---
Congratulations! I’m also feeling like I’m coming out of the SW mindset. Have been doing 16:8 and kicked a long standing evening snack addiction and am roughly counting calories (although not obsessively).

Being able to not obsess about foods is great. I feel SW is so much planning and prep that food becomes a massive thing in your life. It’s hard not to obsess when you literally can’t pick up a sandwich when you’re out for lunch because of syns. Or when ‘being good’ means eating a miserable potato for lunch.

Do 2CC still doing slimming world? It feels like a lot of the old bloggers don’t bother anymore.
No, they mostly calorie count and their new book has calories in it (but i think still uses low fat stuff)
Edit - PS just remembered one of the group consultants used to eat the most beige of beige foods and the 1/3 speed was usually pickled onions or pickled beetroot 🤣 (yes I am in Glasgow, the stereotype is true for a lot of people there!)

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Don’t forget the absolute nonsense that yes it’s fine to have those 10 bananas but if you mash them up first you need to syn them 😆

Have just read this thread from the start and am so glad it’s not just me. I first went this time of year 11 years ago as wanted to lose weight for being 40. I lost weight but my problem has always been portion size cos i am a greedy guts! SW did absolutely nothing to help that, in fact it made it worse as I would literally make and eat a full packet of pasta for my tea several times a week. I found at the groups I went to it was mostly very overweight people who had no idea how to cook or about nutrition and the chat was all about tweaks or how to make easy free meals and save syns for a blowout (usually after weigh in). Seen folk wear heavy clothes, keep jacket on with keys/purse in and have their tea before first meeting (returners) then the next week have not eaten and wear v light clothes so they ‘lost loads’ the first week to get them motivated 🙄
The eat 50 chemical filled shitey muller lights ‘free’ a day but avoid avocados cos they were too high in syns got me too plus the synning of lockets/tunes/cough medicine and in the end I was paying every week and either not going cos I knew I’d gained or sitting there having to actively stop myself rolling my eyes at the crap ‘science’
I now do intermittent fasting all the time and keep my meals lowish carb if wanting to lose, have full fat eveything if I want it (apart from milk as I only like green milk) and if away or going out just adjust my fasting window. It suits me as I never liked eating breakfast even as a child and means I can have a large ish meal when I do eat and still be in an overall calorie deficit.
---

No, they mostly calorie count and their new book has calories in it (but i think still uses low fat stuff)
Edit - PS just remembered one of the group consultants used to eat the most beige of beige foods and the 1/3 speed was usually pickled onions or pickled beetroot 🤣 (yes I am in Glasgow, the stereotype is true for a lot of people there!)
This was basically my Sister.
She had zero idea on portions or calories or anything like that and Slimming World taught her nothing.
She would make snacks of massive bowls of chips and pasta because they were "free".
She lost 3 stone originally, just simply because she had cut out takeaways mostly.
But after that, it stalled and she lost interest because she couldn't understand what she was doing wrong

This was basically my Sister.
She had zero idea on portions or calories or anything like that and Slimming World taught her nothing.
She would make snacks of massive bowls of chips and pasta because they were "free".
She lost 3 stone originally, just simply because she had cut out takeaways mostly.
But after that, it stalled and she lost interest because she couldn't understand what she was doing wrong
Totally designed to suck you in and keep returning. Very few stay when at target in my experience. They leave then have to keep rejoining when it all goes back on again plus more.

Reactions: 9
Oh yes, that one’s hilarious 😂 I mean, are you not mashing them up whilst chewing them? Or are you meant to swallow them whole? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Oh yes, that one’s hilarious 😂 I mean, are you not mashing them up whilst chewing them? Or are you meant to swallow them whole? 😂
That was my WTF moment with slimming world! Up until then I'd blindly followed for years.

• Haha
I mean it does sound silly to those who don’t know the science behind it but if you read into the science that SW bases it on it does make sense
Basis is to do with what type of enzymes are released at diff points of eating and absorption and which ones get missed out - came across it when I did my masters in nutrition at university

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I mean it does sound silly to those who don’t know the science behind it but if you read into the science that SW bases it on it does make sense
Basis is to do with what type of enzymes are released at diff points of eating and absorption and which ones get missed out - came across it when I did my masters in nutrition at university

I was under the assumption it was in place to prevent people from mashing multiple bananas to form a portion where as most people would stick to just one banana if eating it as it is. A form of portion control and I have nothing against the method.

I would also say, if I was mashing a banana to eat on toast as I've heard some people do and 1 wasn't enough and I had two, I wouldn't be adding syns for that 😂

Reactions: 2
I now know why I struggle to lose weight. Long story short I went to give blood a few months ago and got turned away and told to see my GP as my iron levels were too low. Got tested for that and put on tablets but they also checked my thyroid function and blood sugar which were both iffy so I had to get another blood test this week. It came back that my thyroid is a bit low so I had to make an appointment to see the GP for it.
I have an underactive thyroid and when I was first given tablets I lost a stone without really trying. I was pleased as it was mainly from round my middle. I find a low gluten diet helps.

I have an underactive thyroid and when I was first given tablets I lost a stone without really trying. I was pleased as it was mainly from round my middle. I find a low gluten diet helps.
Thanks that’s useful to know. I’ve weeks to wait for my GP appointment

I was under the assumption it was in place to prevent people from mashing multiple bananas to form a portion where as most people would stick to just one banana if eating it as it is. A form of portion control and I have nothing against the method.

I would also say, if I was mashing a banana to eat on toast as I've heard some people do and 1 wasn't enough and I had two, I wouldn't be adding syns for that 😂
We were always told it was to prevent people liquidising food and over consuming also.

You could drink a smoothie way faster than you'd eat the individual components, say.

Reactions: 4
We were always told it was to prevent people liquidising food and over consuming also.

You could drink a smoothie way faster than you'd eat the individual components, say.
That's what I remember too. That you'd be full if you ate 3 whole flesh bananas, but you could chuck 3 in a blender to make a milkshake and wouldnt be full. So you would potentially carry on eating and consume loads more cals. If they had explained it that way, it would have saved people so much confusion

Reactions: 8
I think they do deals with companies to decide the syn value of things. For example I have some of those naked noodle pots which are like 2/3/4 syns, Pot Noodles aren’t that many calories more but are around 9/10 syns, I don’t trust it at all

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I think they do deals with companies to decide the syn value of things. For example I have some of those naked noodle pots which are like 2/3/4 syns, Pot Noodles aren’t that many calories more but are around 9/10 syns, I don’t trust it at all
You've only got to look at the saga of Porky lites to see that. Sw were livid that people were buying them in droves, instead of their disgusting grey tasteless shite

• Sick
Reactions: 11