Eve Bennett - study YouTuber

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Former journalist here. I agree, journalism is so competitive. If she thinks it's like her current intern ship and she can just work a couple of hours a day then she has another thing coming. It's long hours, often unsocialable hours, and not a great wage. I used be out the door at 5am every weekend for my first news job on £13000 a year (pro rota) and I know not all jobs are like that and it was over 10 years ago but it's really hard.
Agree completely. I regularly do 12 hour shifts etc for less money than some of my friends who work much less. I think you have to be really passionate about journalism to want to do it as it's hard work and not always rewarding. It's a big commitment and even for a masters Eve will likely be competing with people with tonnes of passion/experience in the field.

Reactions: 1
When I talked to do my counselor about doing Journalism (in Germany) she told me you get in either “by accident” via connections or you basically have to start writing for school papers etc as early as 14 years and then spend a huge amount of time volunteering, doing internship etc. But even then there’s no guarantee as you also have to be really good and different... and in the end lots of people “end up” at local papers which really isn’t what most people want to do (especially not Eve I imagine)

Reactions: 3
Eve wants to be Laura Kuenssberg so she definitely wouldn't be happy working for a paper back in Wolverhampton

Reactions: 7
Eve wants to be Laura Kuenssberg so she definitely wouldn't be happy working for a paper back in Wolverhampton
I couldn't believe she was a midlander with her posh accent, that was until I seen her moving vlog talking in her real accent to her mum.

My friend’s sister did German at oxford and had a proper problem getting her internship for her year aboard. (This was last year) everyone on her course had just used their parents connects/people they knew, so maybe she already knows people in the industry which is why she is having such a relaxing internship, they also only have to do a limited amount of days, it was much shorter than other universities too!

Reactions: 2
Let’s not underestimate the fact that Eve went to LMH, whose Principal is Alan Rusbridger, former Editor in Chief of The Guardian (and father in law to Greg James) so he will have many many contacts if Eve wanted to utilise them.

Reactions: 5
I couldn't believe she was a midlander with her posh accent, that was until I seen her moving vlog talking in her real accent to her mum.
I wonder how much of that is the Oxbridge snobbery getting to her. People have a really low view of Brummie accents. My aunt went to Cambridge and completely annihilated her Coventry accent because people would not stop taking the mickey out of her. You literally cannot even tell she is from the West Midlands anymore, even when she is talking to her family.

Reactions: 10
I wonder how much of that is the Oxbridge snobbery getting to her. People have a really low view of Brummie accents. My aunt went to Cambridge and completely annihilated her Coventry accent because people would not stop taking the mickey out of her. You literally cannot even tell she is from the West Midlands anymore, even when she is talking to her family.
That's actually a shame if she feels she needs to change who she is to fit in there.

Reactions: 5
Anyone else always worry when she films the outside of her apartment. I've don't live in Berlin so I have no clue where it is, but I'm sure someone who does could quite easily work out the apartment block she's in?

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Anyone else always worry when she films the outside of her apartment. I've don't live in Berlin so I have no clue where it is, but I'm sure someone who does could quite easily work out the apartment block she's in?
Plus she's already mentioned multiple times the area of Berlin that she lives in!

Reactions: 2
Let’s not underestimate the fact that Eve went to LMH, whose Principal is Alan Rusbridger, former Editor in Chief of The Guardian (and father in law to Greg James) so he will have many many contacts if Eve wanted to utilise them.
I didn't know that, that's so interesting!

I did skip through some of her latest vlog but I do commend her for doing more in German and trying to be around native speakers, much better than some others who go on years abroad

In fairness to her she’s genuinely trying to become fluent, which is cool to see. im actually enjoying her year abroad content ( so far)

Reactions: 14
one thing I think about eve is that she claimed to have bad anxiety and depression (to the point where she was hospitalised if I remember rightly) and rarely talks about it now. I just think it’s strange that she has just dismissed it now, like when you have depression it doesn’t just disappear when you have a few weeks of therapy and move to another country. It puts out the whole wrong message to her followers because she makes out that if you struggle with mental health issues it goes away completely?! I think now she comes across as someone who just complains about everything and not just in a general complaining way, more irritating and it gets on my bleeping nerves

Reactions: 1
one thing I think about eve is that she claimed to have bad anxiety and depression (to the point where she was hospitalised if I remember rightly) and rarely talks about it now. I just think it’s strange that she has just dismissed it now, like when you have depression it doesn’t just disappear when you have a few weeks of therapy and move to another country. It puts out the whole wrong message to her followers because she makes out that if you struggle with mental health issues it goes away completely?! I think now she comes across as someone who just complains about everything and not just in a general complaining way, more irritating and it gets on my bleeping nerves
I think she’s very much of the middle class mindset where it does just go away, I could be wrong but I assume she has either covered over the problems or just doesn’t want to acknowledged them

Reactions: 6
I think she’s very much of the middle class mindset where it does just go away, I could be wrong but I assume she has either covered over the problems or just doesn’t want to acknowledged them
I agree, she made that video after her first year about her mental health and talked about how she’d been to therapy. Now she just mentions it in passing like it’s something she just solved with a few sessions and even then it’s only when she’s filming Q&As

She's also needs a reality check. She's been going about like covid isn't happening so I'm glad they are getting more restrictions (not happy about any increase in cases obviously).

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.