Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

londongirl2001

VIP Member
This is a song contest not a political arena.
I'm already sick to death of protests and flag waving.

For the record I don't want Israel to win because their song isn't the best and they probably should have withdrawn from the competition, but I feel a bit sorry for the girl as its not her fault.
Everything’s political these days and just because you’re privileged enough not having to care, doesn’t mean others shouldn’t. The organizers have made the contestant political for years. Why is Russia not there then? Or Belarus? Why did Ukraine not host last year?? If you don’t want to see „politics“ (calling for ceasefire or human rights isn’t political, but go off I guess) then Eurovision is definitely not the show to watch.

Music has always been political.

• Angry
Reactions: 12

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
israel taking part* is a political statement
eric saade holding a keffiyeh is not the equivalent of a national flag and is not a political statement
tali dedicating 'fighter' to her brother in the iof is a political statement
bambie calling for a ceasefire is not a political statement

*with a song that underwent numerous revisions after lyrics were deemed to be referencing oct 7th

Reactions: 11

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
The videos going around from Israel’s jury show are really something. A few people have said that there was a lot of tension during the song as a result

EBU have really messed up with this one
I said a few pages back to keep Eurovision totally apolitical then they should take action regarding countries in conflict. Just suspend them until it is over. It is distracting and not fair on the artists.

Even Ukraine winning in 2022 was a political statement. Everyone voted Ukraine because of the war not because of their song.

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
Italian here, re RAI showing the results, RAI, which is extremely close to the right wing government, has been striving to be as pro Israel as they can be at every turn for months now. It's become an issue lately with journalists striking and publicly protesting against censorship and control over the press.
So it would not surprise me if the 39% to Israel was somewhat inflated, nor if showing the result was a deliberate political choice.

londongirl2001

VIP Member
I had missed the opening act last night so I wasn’t aware of Eric Saade wearing a Palestinian keffiyeh around his wrist, causing the Eurovision organizers to not upload his performance or mention him on their social media. Apparently it’s being investigated if Eric, a man with Palestinian roots, broke some made up rules with this. My god.

• Wow

Hannahebee

VIP Member
I don't know how true it is but apparently Joost has deleted all reference of Eurovision from his social media accounts. Also rumours are going around saying that he has been disqualified.

• Wow

Peonyrose

VIP Member
If that’s the case, it is unbelievable the bullying a certain country does. This contest is no longer a fair and transparent contest when a certain country is buying votes, rigging the contest and (ironically) jackbooting their way through it all.
We are meant to have free speech in Europe. Being opposed to a genocide does not make us anti-semetic and that country has robbed the joy out of the whole experience.
Their song is an ode to a murderous army after all.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Joost Klein has missed his slot in rehearsals...

Statement to ESCbubble from the EBU: "We are currently investigating an incident that was reported to us involving the Dutch artist. He will not be rehearsing until further notice. We have no further comment at this time and will update in due course."

another source saying the same: https://eurovoix.com/2024/05/10/netherlands-joost-klein-not-rehearsing-until-further-notice/

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 10