Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Am I seriously the only person who doesn’t watch the previews and goes into the final without having heard any of the songs?
I am such an amateur 😳
The vast majority don't ;) and there are a lot of people who prefer to hear the songs for the first time on the night.

Reactions: 6
same here

I watched the "all the rehearsals" video on the official youtube channel this morning to try to get into it but so many of the songs this year are just so dreary and samey. Even songs I've been humming for months like Europapa are dull in the staged version. I'm excited for Olly and think he'll do well but not well enough.
I just don't feel excited at all and I agree with you so many of the songs are the same and feel very dull as none of them go anywhere for me. I mean I just can't get any enthusiasm for the show and for the first time ever me and mum have said that if the songs aren't very good in the semi-finals then we are going to give the final a miss. I honestly can't be bothered and I am watching the show that someone has uploaded from last night and even that is doing nothing for me as it is not getting me in the mood for tonight in fact I think it is making my mood worse.

I just don't feel excited at all and I agree with you so many of the songs are the same and feel very dull as none of them go anywhere for me. I mean I just can't get any enthusiasm for the show and for the first time ever me and mum have said that if the songs aren't very good in the semi-finals then we are going to give the final a miss. I honestly can't be bothered and I am watching the show that someone has uploaded from last night and even that is doing nothing for me as it is not getting me in the mood for tonight in fact I think it is making my mood worse.
There's even less reason to watch the final this year with them having the automatic finalists all doing their songs throughout the semifinals :(. So there won't even be those performances as new material in the final.

Hoping that Petra Mede hosting again (love her) and some interesting interval acts can save the day for me!

Reactions: 2
There's even less reason to watch the final this year with them having the automatic finalists all doing their songs throughout the semifinals :(. So there won't even be those performances as new material in the final.

Hoping that Petra Mede hosting again (love her) and some interesting interval acts can save the day for me!
I just feel like the show is going on a massive downward spiral as they are now messing about with it too much and making changes that are completely unnecessary IMO.

Reactions: 1
Olly isn't a strong singer IMO. He has an average voice which is nothing special.
There's many vocalists than can sound fine on a recording but they're not so good live. Mae who we had last year also falls into this category.
Yeah I agree, he is a pretty weak singer. I don't think any amount of fancy staging can save our entry this year. Weakest in years.

I love the fact the semi finals have now made BBC1. They've progressed over the years. I think they used to be on BBC3 or 4, then moved to 2 :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 5
I just feel like the show is going on a massive downward spiral as they are now messing about with it too much and making changes that are completely unnecessary IMO.
Can someone sum up what the changes are? I know that the juries don’t vote in the semi finals anymore, right?

Can someone sum up what the changes are? I know that the juries don’t vote in the semi finals anymore, right?
One change is that the Big 5 and the previous winning country are performing at the semi finals. They will automatically get through but it's been decided that they are at an unfair advantage because their songs aren't heard before the final.

Reactions: 3
One change is that the Big 5 and the previous winning country are performing at the semi finals. They will automatically get through but it's been decided that they are at an unfair advantage because their songs aren't heard before the final.
Isn't there a change to the televoting this year as well, lines are open from the start of the show I think?

edit: world voters (non-participating countries) can vote 24hrs before each show. participating country voters can vote from the first song of each show. And jury votes won't count for the semi-finals, only for Saturday.

Isn't there a change to the televoting this year as well, lines are open from the start of the show I think?
Yep that's correct and the rest of the world vote will be adapted again with an implemented vote window to be open 24 hours before the final and the Swedish broadcaster SVT will solely decide the running order as each finalist will make a draw for the running order in the Grand Final with three possible outcomes:
  • First half (6 places)
  • Second half (6 places)
  • "Producer's choice" (13 places)
This means, that SVT will freely decide where they will put half of the countries in the running order in the Grand Final and if an artist pulls out Producer’s Choice in the random draw the show producers (SVT) will be able to place that song anywhere in either the First or the Second Half of the running order.

The vast majority don't ;) and there are a lot of people who prefer to hear the songs for the first time on the night.
yup, confirm that even though I get excited for weeks before the actual ESC, I prefer to get the surprise of the new on the day off.

• Heart
I hope the semis are more even than last year. We lost some great songs because one semi was so heavily loaded.
I prefer the line up in SF2. It’s going to be more difficult for the borderline qualifiers in that SF. I think the 2nd half of SF1 (after Croatia) is particularly meh.

I'm the only person I know who watches the semi finals. Everyone else just watches on Saturday and that I'll be the first time they have seen or heard anything.

I'm the only person I know who watches the semi finals. Everyone else just watches on Saturday and that I'll be the first time they have seen or heard anything.
The main event is too long for me these days. So I usually watch the semis, being significantly shorter, and watch the opening bit and the vote on the night.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.