Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Might be controversial but I don’t think a Russian act should have been excluded. It isn’t some young singer’s fault their government decides to do tit.

Reactions: 9
Might be controversial but I don’t think a Russian act should have been excluded. It isn’t some young singer’s fault their government decides to do tit.
It only seems to be certain countries that get lumped into a homogenous mass as well.

All Israelis are evil government supporters but nobody would ever describe all Brits as being fully behind Sunak’s Rwanda scheme or all Americans as having been Trump supporters a few years back - and if they tried there would be outrage from the same people who are currently lumping all Israelis in as genociders.

Reactions: 7
Don't be ridiculous. I've watched Eurovision for about 45 years. I think I know what Eurovision is about. I'm out of this thread.
Please don't go we need people who love the song competition not spoiling for a fight over a political situation that none of us can do anything about.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I do understand the idea of 'one singer doesn't represent their government's views', but Golan did say at interview she would be joining the IDF upon her return post-Eurovision. I think that's a very different scenario to, for instance, many of Russia's Eurovision acts who have had to flee their home country because of their anti-Russian narrative views.

Reactions: 6
I do understand the idea of 'one singer doesn't represent their government's views', but Golan did say at interview she would be joining the IDF upon her return post-Eurovision. I think that's a very different scenario to, for instance, many of Russia's Eurovision acts who have had to flee their home country because of their anti-Russian narrative views.
It’s mandatory though. If she didn’t say that, she’d be arrested and thrown into jail when she gets home. Any other country that has mandatory military service it’s called out as being hugely unfair to their citizens who get pulled into war they don’t want to be part of, again it’s only Israel where complying with the mandatory call is seen as full support for anything the government do ever.

Reactions: 5
Interestingly she competed in Junior Eurovision for Russia. They fled for Israel as a result of Russian antisemitism. Also the IDF is a draft, you can’t not do it.

Reactions: 5
Which is not what’s happening. People are taking issue with the fact that it’s ok to call for peace and ceasefire when it came to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, but it’s apparently not ok to call for ceasefire and the freedom of Palestinian civilians. That’s the issue.
That’s absolutely what’s happening hence Eden being expected to answer if her presence is dangerous (what does that have to do with ceasefire?) and people booing her. And why she’s in danger hence the massive need for protection - it’s not because they’re worried about people chanting free Palestine.

Reactions: 1
It’s mandatory though. If she didn’t say that, she’d be arrested and thrown into jail when she gets home. Any other country that has mandatory military service it’s called out as being hugely unfair to their citizens who get pulled into war they don’t want to be part of, again it’s only Israel where complying with the mandatory call is seen as full support for anything the government do ever.
I can only speak for myself, but I know I would feel exactly the same if Russia continued to compete with someone who had been drafted and promoted it in press interviews.

Reactions: 7
I can only speak for myself, but I know I would feel exactly the same if Russia continued to compete with someone who had been drafted and promoted it in press interviews.
That’s fair enough. I think everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions on it. I do hope we can all have a thread where we can join in and keep the major politics out.

Reactions: 4
My Twitter is down atm - any updates on the Joost situation? I will be absolutely GUTTED if he doesn't perform tomorrow, he was my winner 💔

Reactions: 4
It only seems to be certain countries that get lumped into a homogenous mass as well.

All Israelis are evil government supporters but nobody would ever describe all Brits as being fully behind Sunak’s Rwanda scheme or all Americans as having been Trump supporters a few years back - and if they tried there would be outrage from the same people who are currently lumping all Israelis in as genociders.
Except the whole argument for Israel murdering Palestinians is that they are defending themselves against Hamas. Thus lumping all Palestinians together with Hamas. So which is it?

Reactions: 12
She’s there representing a State and a Broadcaster that is actively supporting and encouraging what’s happening in Gaza

She chose to do that

Reactions: 12
Except the whole argument for Israel murdering Palestinians is that they are defending themselves against Hamas. Thus lumping all Palestinians together with Hamas. So which is it?
Yes, which is wrong. As is lumping all Israelis in with their government. Both are wrong. It’s just seen as socially acceptable now to lump Israelis in 🤷‍♀️
---
She’s there representing a State and a Broadcaster that is actively supporting and encouraging what’s happening in Gaza

She chose to do that
And all the other entrants chose to be there knowing an Israeli participant would be there and an Israeli sponsor and broadcaster is making profit off it, and all the attendees chose to attend knowing an Israeli broadcaster and sponsor are making profit off it. Everyone choosing to watch it, so everyone in this thread, is making the exact same choice. If you don’t agree with Israel being there, boycott it. Boycotting doesn’t mean “not buying that product I’d never have bought anyway because an Israeli company makes it”, if you feel strongly about supporting Palestine and that Israel should be restricted then it means boycotting things you like too, not just things you don’t really care about.

Reactions: 1
And all the other entrants chose to be there knowing an Israeli participant would be there and an Israeli sponsor and broadcaster is making profit off it, and all the attendees chose to attend knowing an Israeli broadcaster and sponsor are making profit off it. Everyone choosing to watch it, so everyone in this thread, is making the exact same choice. If you don’t agree with Israel being there, boycott it. Boycotting doesn’t mean “not buying that product I’d never have bought anyway because an Israeli company makes it”, if you feel strongly about supporting Palestine and that Israel should be restricted then it means boycotting things you like too, not just things you don’t really care about.
We all know it’s a difficult situation for broadcasters because they’re an extension of the governments in many cases. Some broadcasters or their commentators have taken stricter stances by walking out, not commentating or letting their stances be known clearly. Apparently one of the countries showed a message before the broadcast that was calling for a ceasefire

There’s probably some legal matters too around this and what a broadcaster can do

There are people who have gone to the live shows and have protested in some ways, just as there are people who have gone to the live show to show support for Eden

I’m sure you’ll also know that not everyone boycotts or thinks it’s the most effective form of protest, and they may well be doing other stuff

There’s videos of the artists being clearly critical of Israel’s participation at last nights press conference and even on stage. I have been critical of many of them for not doing “enough” publicly but it sucks that they should give up a platform to voice their opinions? In reality, Israel does want everyone to shut up about what they’re doing

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.