Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
TBH I do think Olly was always a bit “Emperor’s new clothes”. I never liked the way the founding members / songwriters of Years and Years were ditched so he could launch it as a solo project. It left a really bad taste for me, because those guys really were talented. I suppose it was the record company that pushed it, I guess those lads didn’t fit the “image”, being a bit geeky and all, but when they ditched them, the song quality dropped off a cliff.
And then when Olly rushed to the papers immediately after Sam Ryder very nearly won, to complain about how he (Olly) hadn’t been in the running for Eurovision. As if he would have won it, unlike sad failure Sam, or something. I thought at the time, really? - you’re choosing to do this now, like a spoilt brat at a party when another kid is getting more attention?
Then all the crowing about how he’d do the “gayest ever” Eurovision, as if this would mean he’d romp home with the trophy. He really did have high expectations of how he would do in the competition. Only to stage some grotty outdated cottaging scenario, with a feeble song, sung badly, and with staging that just didn’t have impact.
I’ve watched it back a few times, and it really was terrible. Borderline unwatchable. I know people who like him will say he didn’t deserve the nil public vote, but honestly, having watched all the acts, he was not better than anyone else.
So interesting how when you don’t like someone the lense with which you view everything they do completely changes. The way this is not my interpretation of ANY of the things that went down. (Not hating on you - you’re entitled to your opinion OBVS) but that is not how I saw any of those things go down regarding the pre Eurovision stuff.
---
It does bother me that now both Israel and Ukraine are going to be going into the televote with a 150pt+ head start for the foreseeable future. It’s ridiculous, but I don’t really know how to combat that- people are going to vote for who they feel compelled to but maybe it’s about limiting the number of votes for 1 country. Some people have suggested that making them free would make the votes more spread out- I agree with this but I still think Ukraine and Israel would landslide. I don’t mind the junior Eurovision system where it’s free and you have to vote for more than one country (but you can also vote for your own🙄 which I don’t like)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
There’s advertising and then there’s advertising organised by the State itselfView attachment 2939616
Poland’s was supposed to be from the state itself though too.

the only difference is what’s acceptable for Poland isn’t for Israel because people don’t like Israel, as below.
---
So interesting how when you don’t like someone the lense with which you view everything they do completely changes. The way this is not my interpretation of ANY of the things that went down. (Not hating on you - you’re entitled to your opinion OBVS) but that is not how I saw any of those things go down regarding the pre Eurovision stuff.
---
It does bother me that now both Israel and Ukraine are going to be going into the televote with a 150pt+ head start for the foreseeable future. It’s ridiculous, but I don’t really know how to combat that- people are going to vote for who they feel compelled to but maybe it’s about limiting the number of votes for 1 country. Some people have suggested that making them free would make the votes more spread out- I agree with this but I still think Ukraine and Israel would landslide. I don’t mind the junior Eurovision system where it’s free and you have to vote for more than one country (but you can also vote for your own🙄 which I don’t like)
The top bit is very true and equally true for countries people don’t like.

The same way Joost is being defended because he was popular despite having threatened a woman - believe all women about male violence unless the man is likeable then duck her undertones.

Reactions: 5
Source for this?
---

… and you know the fact that they didn’t even get through semis this year
Can’t find anything more concrete than speculation on twitter and Reddit for this year, but here is a post from a few years ago showing Poland doing… exactly what Israel did this year. Advertising to the diaspora, paid for by the polish state (TVP being entirely funded by the polish state). Not new in the slightest, not at all unique to Israel.

Israel may have been better at it; but that alone isn’t enough for them to merit disqualification over and above all the previous ads and campaigns run by various countries that may or may not have been state funded. There’s been an awful lot of focus this year on every single thing Israel have done but that doesn’t mean others weren’t doing exactly the same this year and in the years before - just nobody cares most of the time until they have an axe to grind. See also, Azerbaijan’s continued participation.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Advertising to the diaspora, paid for by the polish state (TVP being entirely funded by the polish state). Not new in the slightest, not at all unique to Israel.
A broadcaster funding marketing (which is usual btw) is very different to an actual branch of the government funding and helping with marketing

Especially when that marketing is based on a hateful rhetoric and it’s results are intended to be used for eventual propaganda

• Heart
Reactions: 7
polish example is like the bbc marketing our entry, israeli example is like the foreign office or dcms doing it instead. so vastly different

polish example is like the bbc marketing our entry, israeli example is like the foreign office or dcms doing it instead. so vastly different
Baffles me when governments get so highly invested in this. I get hosting it (while a financial nightmare for any broadcaster) can be an economic opportunity but still. Can't imagine my government doing it, can't imagine it in the UK either.

Reactions: 3
I think the televote going the way it did really comes down to the way the two 'camps' engaged with Eurovision, honestly.

Many who are pro-Israel wanted to see a recreation of Ukraine's win in 2022, because it was the biggest show of European solidarity for them at that point in time - way beyond any EU statements etc, it showed that the PEOPLE of Europe were entirely behind Ukraine. It might just be a song contest but it is the closest thing to a public vote on Israel we are likely ever to get. Giving the impression that the people of Europe are behind Israel is absolutely essential to their mission right now, and it is why they ran campaigns to get the votes coming in.

However many who protested Israel's place in Eurovision 2024 were either boycotting entirely, or even if they were watching, didn't want the EBU to make money off this conflict. Having the biggest profits/votes ever from such a controversial year would give off a strong message and I think many didn't want to encourage it in further years. I know some tactically voted for Croatia etc, but I think the boycott played a huge role.

So you had one camp actively voting to support their political views, and one camp actively boycotting to support their political views. Because of that I don't think the televote truly reflects European sentiment, regardless of who you support.

Reactions: 6
A broadcaster funding marketing (which is usual btw) is very different to an actual branch of the government funding and helping with marketing

Especially when that marketing is based on a hateful rhetoric and it’s results are intended to be used for eventual propaganda
If the broadcaster is entirely state funded then it’s all state funded. State funding is state funding. Zelenskyy used the Eurovision win for Ukraine for propaganda too, he even wanted to speak at the contest the year after but was denied by the EBU.

The precedent was set years before by other countries running tons of ads, which continued this year, and by Ukraine’s win being political and used for propaganda along with the continued large public vote for them.

Just because this time it’s a country people don’t like or agree with suddenly they think it shouldn’t be allowed.
---
Not all state broadcasters are equal - TVP is known for being little more than a propaganda mouthpiece for the Polish government which the BBC is not. Given the control the polish government have over TVP they’re far more similar to the government than to the BBC. Perhaps the EBU should change the rules so the advertisement isn’t allowed but as it stands Israel weren’t doing anything that hadn’t been done by other countries before and it was within the rules. They just did it more effectively 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Would be shocked if there’s broadcasters that have marketed their entry based on hateful rhetoric
Hateful rhetoric in your opinion. Along with your source being one Reddit post that was translated by a machine from Hebrew not particularly being proof that that was how the Israeli foreign ministry put it. After all, there were many many Reddit and Twitter posts claiming it was an Israeli that made Joost get disqualified before it turned out to be a member of the production. Do you have an actual source or at least a Reddit post translated by a human?

I think everyone knows how dodgy machine translation can be.

Reactions: 1
If the broadcaster is entirely state funded then it’s all state funded. State funding is state funding. Zelenskyy used the Eurovision win for Ukraine for propaganda too, he even wanted to speak at the contest the year after but was denied by the EBU.

The precedent was set years before by other countries running tons of ads, which continued this year, and by Ukraine’s win being political and used for propaganda along with the continued large public vote for them.

Just because this time it’s a country people don’t like or agree with suddenly they think it shouldn’t be allowed.
---

Not all state broadcasters are equal - TVP is known for being little more than a propaganda mouthpiece for the Polish government which the BBC is not. Given the control the polish government have over TVP they’re far more similar to the government than to the BBC. Perhaps the EBU should change the rules so the advertisement isn’t allowed but as it stands Israel weren’t doing anything that hadn’t been done by other countries before and it was within the rules. They just did it more effectively 🤷‍♀️

I think you’ll find that this has changed vastly after last election. And just before bbc isn’t as obvious about it it doesn’t mean it isnt a mouthpiece anyway lol

I think you’ll find that this has changed vastly after last election. And just before bbc isn’t as obvious about it it doesn’t mean it isnt a mouthpiece anyway lol
If they’re a mouthpiece then great, no difference between the Israeli government funding it directly and other governments funding it through their broadcaster mouthpieces. The funding is from the government for the ads either way, just some countries try to obfuscate it more.

Reactions: 2
So, umm, is it just me who's spamming Europapa hourly? Good God that song itches a part of my brain I never knew I needed itching.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
So, umm, is it just me who's spamming Europapa hourly? Good God that song itches a part of my brain I never knew I needed itching.
most played song from this years Eurovision on spotify... so it's safe to say it's not just you.

I find it plays it my head most days at about 3.30am ;)

For me it's La Noia ❤ I used to listen to it while running but now it doesn't get out of my head
To-tal 💁‍♀️

What a shame staging was a bit underwhelming

I wonder when will next girl win be 🙆‍♀️

Reactions: 5
For me it's La Noia ❤ I used to listen to it while running but now it doesn't get out of my head
To-tal 💁‍♀️

What a shame staging was a bit underwhelming

I wonder when will next girl win be 🙆‍♀️
The staging honestly made it so mediocre 😭 that song was my winner from the minute her national final performance dropped. They should’ve just filmed her singing to the camera with her sassy facial expressions 😍 probably still my most played from the competition though

Reactions: 3
Never got the hype with La Noia :censored: I think the live performance was better than everything else I've heard/seen of it