Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Will be interesting to see whether this has any effect on the contest next year

I think fans generally love seeing friendships forming but this may well put an end to that. Like I found it a bit weird this year to see artists comforting each other when it was known one of them was going through a hard time because of something behind the scenes 🤷🏼‍♀️ it felt like those moments should be personal and that backstage shouldn’t have a million cameras watching their every move

Reactions: 2

Will be interesting to see whether this has any effect on the contest next year

I think fans generally love seeing friendships forming but this may well put an end to that. Like I found it a bit weird this year to see artists comforting each other when it was known one of them was going through a hard time because of something behind the scenes 🤷🏼‍♀️ it felt like those moments should be personal and that backstage shouldn’t have a million cameras watching their every move
I'd say there's bound to be a follow-on from this at the next contest.

Reactions: 3
Dizzy was dull as dishwater, even the dirty toilet sexy spinning stage couldn’t make it stick. Can’t even remember it after a few listens. It’s not even as a tenth as good as anything Years and Years did.

He should have done something more in the vein of Lithuania’s Lulthelk (sp?). I could have imagined Olly performing something like that well. His live vocals would have been better with a produced dance beat. Even Austria did very well with a weak singer and created a banger that landed well with the general public based on the streaming numbers.

Was listening to Rina Sawayama’s ‘This Hell’ in the car earlier. That would be such a Eurovision bop. Easy to understand cheeky lyrics, bit of a gimmick, amazing vocal performance, rocking guitars, potential for amazing staging.

She would be great next year ✨
I really thought it was going to be her and I was v excited. Olly was a let down sadly.

If anyone has 15mins to spare this is a good listen, Richard Osman's/Marina Hyde's podcast this week discusses this year's Eurovision but also has a bit of a deep dive into what it takes to win it. I found the stuff about where the song is on the night really interesting.

Richard makes a good point about how the anti-Israel votes were spread over all the other countries whereas obviously the pro-Israel votes were all centered on them which goes to explain why Israel got such a large amount of the public votes.

I do listen to this podcast on the regular and they are very good at having a measured view of stuff, There's also some fun tidbits about a couple of the UK's past winners.

Reactions: 8
The Israeli song hasn’t charted as well as other songs have which speaks volumes for it not being representative of anything

Reactions: 8
The Israeli song hasn’t charted as well as other songs have which speaks volumes for it not being representative of anything
Yeah it was an okay song too so would have expected it to do well if the votes it got were really representative of the "silent majority" as was claimed.

Even here in Germany, where she got 12 points and the pro-Israel view is ver strong, six other Eurovision artists are ahead of Eden in the viral charts. Doesn’t have to mean anything, other than maybe the people who vote for Eurovision and those who listen to music via Spotify are not the same.

Reactions: 5
Even here in Germany, where she got 12 points and the pro-Israel view is ver strong, six other Eurovision artists are ahead of Eden in the viral charts. Doesn’t have to mean anything, other than maybe the people who vote for Eurovision and those who listen to music via Spotify are not the same.
Exactly the songs I vote for at Eurovision are because I like them more than the other songs in the final not necessarily because I want to listen to them later on Spotify.

Yeah I'm too old school for spotify, I just listen to the cd in my car ;)

• Haha
So Baby Lasagna sold out 3 shows one after another, each in less than 10 minutes 🤯

Keep in mind he currently only has 3 songs 😅

I hope jumping and screaming at the concert will bring me esc closure I need

Meowwww

1000095565.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 19
1715791432933.png

Full breakdown of the points for the UK.

Yeah... the public really didn't like it. Our top ranking was 14th from Ireland and Ukraine.
Honestly it gets worse the more you look at it.

(Taken from Eurovision Fans on FB who sourced it from Eurovisionario on X)

Reactions: 9

poor Joost

seems that the EBU have proper fucked this up.

apparently he wears headphones all the time to give himself calm from everything going on. A sensitive guy.

#JusticeForJoost
But he’s admitted he committed a crime? What were the EBU meant to do?

Regardless of his sensitivity or the pressure, he committed a crime that it seems he’s now admitted against a member of production team. Disqualification is a natural consequence of that. All the acts were under intense pressure and I’m sure some of the others are sensitive and had their pic taken when they didn’t want it. The Israeli delegation hassled numerous performers as has been pointed out on the thread so again Joost wasn’t alone. Only one of them chose to threaten a production member.

The EBU made mistakes sure but I don’t think Joost is a double standard. One performer committed a crime worthy of prosecution against one of their staff members. The Israeli delegation broke the contest rules, as did some of the other performers and delegations. Those two things are not the same - and all the people who broke the contest rules only were not disqualified. Seems consistent to me.
---
It's probably been said but Olly's song wasn't terrible. If it had been paired with a feelgood LGBTQ rainbow set, light show and male and female dancers dancing in mixed and same sex pairs it could've done alright. They should've taken much of his dancing out when it became obvious he couldn't sing and dance simultaneously. Have him strut around the stage with the dancers performing around him instead and dance a little in the instrumental section 🤷‍♀️

The theme they came up with was baffling and really didn't work. I'm no prude but how was it remotely family friendly! The costumes were hideous 😂

Croatia, Estonia, Finland (!) and Austria were my faves.
Olly seemed to make the mistake that he thought his reputation would carry him and that the whole of Europe would be aware his theme was “his theme”… and unfortunately neither proved to be true.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
TBF I saw Abba Voyage on Sunday and it was alot better than the lousy bit they showed on tele! It really was very realistic in person. At the end they play a current video of the 4 of them walking on stage and saying Thankyou - which they also could have used ... But hey hum!
I’ve seen it three times and it’s fantastic. The avatars obviously don’t translate that well to being shown on tv

Reactions: 4
TBH I do think Olly was always a bit “Emperor’s new clothes”. I never liked the way the founding members / songwriters of Years and Years were ditched so he could launch it as a solo project. It left a really bad taste for me, because those guys really were talented. I suppose it was the record company that pushed it, I guess those lads didn’t fit the “image”, being a bit geeky and all, but when they ditched them, the song quality dropped off a cliff.
And then when Olly rushed to the papers immediately after Sam Ryder very nearly won, to complain about how he (Olly) hadn’t been in the running for Eurovision. As if he would have won it, unlike sad failure Sam, or something. I thought at the time, really? - you’re choosing to do this now, like a spoilt brat at a party when another kid is getting more attention?
Then all the crowing about how he’d do the “gayest ever” Eurovision, as if this would mean he’d romp home with the trophy. He really did have high expectations of how he would do in the competition. Only to stage some grotty outdated cottaging scenario, with a feeble song, sung badly, and with staging that just didn’t have impact.
I’ve watched it back a few times, and it really was terrible. Borderline unwatchable. I know people who like him will say he didn’t deserve the nil public vote, but honestly, having watched all the acts, he was not better than anyone else.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
TBH I do think Olly was always a bit “Emperor’s new clothes”. I never liked the way the founding members / songwriters of Years and Years were ditched so he could launch it as a solo project. It left a really bad taste for me, because those guys really were talented. I suppose it was the record company that pushed it, I guess those lads didn’t fit the “image”, being a bit geeky and all, but when they ditched them, the song quality dropped off a cliff.
And then when Olly rushed to the papers immediately after Sam Ryder very nearly won, to complain about how he (Olly) hadn’t been in the running for Eurovision. As if he would have won it, unlike sad failure Sam, or something. I thought at the time, really? - you’re choosing to do this now, like a spoilt brat at a party when another kid is getting more attention?
Then all the crowing about how he’d do the “gayest ever” Eurovision, as if this would mean he’d romp home with the trophy. He really did have high expectations of how he would do in the competition. Only to stage some grotty outdated cottaging scenario, with a feeble song, sung badly, and with staging that just didn’t have impact.
I’ve watched it back a few times, and it really was terrible. Borderline unwatchable. I know people who like him will say he didn’t deserve the nil public vote, but honestly, having watched all the acts, he was not better than anyone else.
Emre quit because he wanted to spend more time with his very young children he had been thinking about it since his youngest was born, Mikey was never really involved in the writing process and is still touring with Y&Y/Olly. You clearly don’t know much about Olly if you think he doesn’t fit into the geeky category.

I struggle to think of a single act that was worse than him so as cruel as it was, with the way the voting system is, he deserved the nil points he got.

Reactions: 10