Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have Children Of The Universe by Molly Smitten-Downes in my head for days now. It was a great song, sad it didn’t perform better. And I was shocked to find out that it’s already been ten years.
COTU is one of our best entries Shame Molly had the charisma of a fish. She looked dead behind the eyes the whole performance. I remember we were one of the favourites to win that year. The right performer that would’ve been a top 10 finish.

Also realistically had Ukraine not won in 2022 Spain actually would’ve actually come 1st lol 💀

Reactions: 4
was a typical jury fave
Genuinely convinced we just have to pull a France or Italy and start sending ballads by people who can actually sing

I think someone suggested here (?) that we focus too much on what tops charts. I would also like to suggest that what charts in the UK doesn’t necessarily chart in other countries 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 7
Dying at Sam being referred to as the human Labrador puppy. He really is. I won’t hear a bad word about him.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Genuinely convinced we just have to pull a France or Italy and start sending ballads by people who can actually sing

I think someone suggested here (?) that we focus too much on what tops charts. I would also like to suggest that what charts in the UK doesn’t necessarily chart in other countries 🤷🏼‍♀️
If we send ballads again then the staging still needs to be expensive with a thorough concept behind it. Michael Rice came bottom, Surie did tit even with a stage invader, Lucie Jones did well with the jury but flopped the televote. It’s also a lot to do with trends. For example had we sent a ballad this year it would’ve done very well as there were so few. Next year I reckon more countries will send more, the ratio of upbeat/party songs to slower songs flip flops each year depending on what was successful the year before.

Having said that, now that the semi finals are televote only, countries outside of the Big 5 will be trying to send more and more OTT stuff in order to stand out. This means the Big 5 (us) can take this and send something with simplistic quality like France this year in order to stand out in the grand final or at least it gives us more leeway to be more experimental.

Reactions: 2
If we send ballads again then the staging still needs to be expensive with a thorough concept behind it.
People say this but a lot of successful ballads from Italy and France don’t have expansive staging and focus a lot on camera work setting the vibes instead. Even the successful ballads from other countries have fairly simple staging

Sam’s staging and outfit honestly felt cheap to me and the reason he did well was because of his vocals. The song was okay but got a bit repetitive after a bit

I think we’re sort of past the times where you need impressive never before seen staging to make your song standout 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 5
Dying at Sam being referred to as the human Labrador puppy. He really is. I won’t hear a bad word about him.
I love him so much- he’s such a lovely bloke and that hair and smile- but he was described as “Timotei Viking tik-tok twit” on the spoof documentary The Kemps : All True by the character of John Farrow and it’s all I can think of when I see him now

• Haha
Reactions: 3
People say this but a lot of successful ballads from Italy and France don’t have expansive staging and focus a lot on camera work setting the vibes instead. Even the successful ballads from other countries have fairly simple staging

Sam’s staging and outfit honestly felt cheap to me and the reason he did well was because of his vocals. The song was okay but got a bit repetitive after a bit

I think we’re sort of past the times where you need impressive never before seen staging to make your song standout 🤷🏼‍♀️
I agree and we’ve sort of hit the point where you can’t do anything that hasn’t been seen before. Eurovision has truly done everything with staging at this point.

Reactions: 4

Sorry, when I say expensive I mean slick and polished lol. When France’s rehearsal clip came out this year many said ‘wow this looks expensive’. it was classy, well thought out, one of the most beautiful. Compare that to Michael Rice’s or Surie’s which just looked so meh.

Plonking a good vocalist in the middle of the stage without a well thought out concept isn’t going to give you a top 5. You need to create some sort of an atmosphere. Whether that’s romantic, mystical, scary etc etc

France and Italy haven't been successful with their ballads since televoting started, the only time any of them won in modern time is Italy with Måneskin. The people voting seems to like up tempo. Also think they have an advantage singing ballads in their latin languages, it sounds pompous and dramatic in a way most other languages don't. And this year it was so many crazy staging France showing up at the end with one guy just singing a song without any ado felt like a relief for at least my poor eyes. 😂

As a none brit I think UK should do better if BBC had competitions letting people vote like other countries have, you don't know if a song is a banger before you tested it at people. UK have lot's of good song writers and artists, think the problem is that BBC don't take ESC serious just choosing a song and an artist. If that happen in Sweden oh my gosh it would be riots! 😂

Reactions: 1
Sam wouldn’t have been in my personal top 5 that year lol 💀 I thought the song was so boring but it’s just not my taste. Something my foreign friend always remarks about UK entries is that they have no ‘spice’ or ‘culture’ compared to other countries. That I believe is part to do with the fact that a lot of our musicians are global artists, therefore the sounds they produce are not unique or interesting to Europeans. A lot of people compared Spaceman/Sam to Elton, Freddie mercury etc etc aka really uniquely British sounds that they loved. This was the closest we have ever come to transmitting a British ‘product’ or vibe. Even when Jade Ewen did well, the song was SO musical theatre, again we are one of the homes of MT. This coupled with this guy with long hair and a beard, the epic guitar solo, a complete staging package PLUS the vocals is what I think allowed us to be successful. After all in the final the songs that came directly before and after Sam were two amazing male vocalists + Azerbaijan. Non of them challenged for the win although they did decently in the juries
---
France and Italy haven't been successful with their ballads since televoting started, the only time any of them won in modern time is Italy with Måneskin. The people voting seems to like up tempo. Also think they have an advantage singing ballads in their latin languages, it sounds pompous and dramatic in a way most other languages don't. And this year it was so many crazy staging France showing up at the end with one guy just singing a song without any ado felt like a relief for at least my poor eyes. 😂

As a none brit I think UK should do better if BBC had competitions letting people vote like other countries have, you don't know if a song is a banger before you tested it at people. UK have lot's of good song writers and artists, think the problem is that BBC don't take ESC serious just choosing a song and an artist. If that happen in Sweden oh my gosh it would be riots! 😂
Latin languages make everything sound 10x deeper and more beautiful

Reactions: 3
I mean if we're going for a woman with a voice who loves Eurovision there's only one real answer.

Hannah Waddingham who would be insane to agree

Televote tends to shun folk music & I don’t trust the British public at all 😭 I need them to organize like a focus group of 100 super fans to vote on a couple songs before release.

I think it would be nice if they gave the public a choice (even though we'd probably pick Scooch again).
Lucie was a decent public choice to be fair. I quite liked the early 90s system of the BBC picking a singer (Michael Ball, Sonia etc) and then the public choosing the song.

I can't bare rebecca... sorry.. never have done. Yes she can sing but her voice isn't pleasant to me at all. Plus hasn't she got the personality of a dish cloth

I would much rather louisa johnson

I think we could possibly see Sam doing it again within the next 5 years