Eurovision Song Contest 2024 #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Don't know about your algorithms but based on my tiktok and songs trending there, France won šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 5
Don't know about your algorithms but based on my tiktok and songs trending there, France won šŸ˜‚
I'm glad France is getting some love. I thought the part where he stood back from the mic and just sang on his own was absolutely stunning.

Sometimes the simple stuff (much like when Duncan Lawrence won) really stands out and is very impactful.

Normally I don't tend to enjoy the standard French ballad that they like to send but they knocked it out of the park this time.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I'm glad France is getting some love. I thought the part where he stood back from the mic and just sang on his own was absolutely stunning.

Sometimes the simple stuff (much like when Duncan Lawrence won) really stands out and is very impactful.

Normally I don't tend to enjoy the standard French ballad that they like to send but they knocked it out of the park this time.
France was the one song that I think was genuinely a good song not just a good Eurovision song. The same way I felt about Sam Ryder and Spaceman.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I love a good Eurovision song personally but I donā€™t think they have the same broad appeal as stuff like this yearā€™s French entry hence the reflection in what trends on TikTok etc.

Reactions: 10
This came up on my YouTube for some reason, last time Switzerland (a then unknown Celine Dion won). RTE went on to make a documentary of the making of the show entitled 'And finally France'. (I've just given away the ending)

Nemos number in the making. Same choreographer done several Eurovision number, for example Cha cha cha and No Rules for Finland and Heroes with MƄns Zelmerlƶv. He must have great imagination.

Reactions: 4
TBH I do think Olly was always a bit ā€œEmperorā€™s new clothesā€. I never liked the way the founding members / songwriters of Years and Years were ditched so he could launch it as a solo project. It left a really bad taste for me, because those guys really were talented. I suppose it was the record company that pushed it, I guess those lads didnā€™t fit the ā€œimageā€, being a bit geeky and all, but when they ditched them, the song quality dropped off a cliff.
And then when Olly rushed to the papers immediately after Sam Ryder very nearly won, to complain about how he (Olly) hadnā€™t been in the running for Eurovision. As if he would have won it, unlike sad failure Sam, or something. I thought at the time, really? - youā€™re choosing to do this now, like a spoilt brat at a party when another kid is getting more attention?
Then all the crowing about how heā€™d do the ā€œgayest everā€ Eurovision, as if this would mean heā€™d romp home with the trophy. He really did have high expectations of how he would do in the competition. Only to stage some grotty outdated cottaging scenario, with a feeble song, sung badly, and with staging that just didnā€™t have impact.
Iā€™ve watched it back a few times, and it really was terrible. Borderline unwatchable. I know people who like him will say he didnā€™t deserve the nil public vote, but honestly, having watched all the acts, he was not better than anyone else.

I agree, same with his acting. He basically played himself in It's A Sin, and pretty much everyone else outdid him. I think he is mostly hype and PR with very little substance

Reactions: 10
I think if he'd have competed before Sam Ryder (The Human Labrador Puppy) the UK public would've been delighted with his 49 points (even if it was zero public ones) - it would've just been the same old "nobody likes us, we'll never win blah blah blah".

Unfortunately for Olly, Sam proved that we absolutely could win (even though he didn't) if we send the right person with the right backing and the right staging.

Reactions: 13
Nemos number in the making. Same choreographer done several Eurovision number, for example Cha cha cha and No Rules for Finland and Heroes with MƄns Zelmerlƶv. He must have great imagination.

This is so cool to see

Reactions: 1
I think if he'd have competed before Sam Ryder (The Human Labrador Puppy) the UK public would've been delighted with his 49 points (even if it was zero public ones) - it would've just been the same old "nobody likes us, we'll never win blah blah blah".

Unfortunately for Olly, Sam proved that we absolutely could win (even though he didn't) if we send the right person with the right backing and the right staging.
I class Sam as having won to be fair. Nobody could win against Ukraine and their vote wasnā€™t about the music, Ukraine got the support to me and Sam won the contest hence us hosting it. (Though we have a history of stepping in to host so I donā€™t agree with those who say it was a fix to make sure we came second to host - I think even if weā€™d been last there was a good chance the contest would have been in the UK not Ukraine unless the second place was another of the big 5).

We can definitely win, just need to get someone decent again with good staging. Less Olly Alexander and more universal appeal - or just send Sam again for his chance to shine properly!

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
despite the whole situation with Ukraine I genuinely think Kalush are one of the best winners. Their whole discography is pretty damn good

Reactions: 6
despite the whole situation with Ukraine I genuinely think Kalush are one of the best winners. Their whole discography is pretty damn good
If you're talking previous entrants who have a great discography, Little Big is a very good shout. Especially if you like odd eastern European techno disco beats.

• Heart
I have Children Of The Universe by Molly Smitten-Downes in my head for days now. It was a great song, sad it didnā€™t perform better. And I was shocked to find out that itā€™s already been ten years.

Reactions: 1
Samā€˜s song was ok imho; he has a great voice but that song was a typical jury fave. He placed only fifth with the audiences. He could have won over Ukraine if he had come at least second. I know that Ukraine got even more votes than usual because of the war, but the claim that Sam would have won if it hadnā€™t been for Ukraine, is a bit unfair. Moldova, Serbia and Spain all had more public points than him and thanks to the jury votes he managed to get second place over Spain by a mere seven points.
Iā€˜m sorry, I just donā€™t like people dismissing a very successful Eurovision country like Ukraine, just because UK for once sent a song that juries found radio-friendly enough to vote for šŸ˜

Samā€˜s song was ok imho; he has a great voice but that song was a typical jury fave. He placed only fifth with the audiences. He could have won over Ukraine if he had come at least second. I know that Ukraine got even more votes than usual because of the war, but the claim that Sam would have won if it hadnā€™t been for Ukraine, is a bit unfair. Moldova, Serbia and Spain all had more public points than him and thanks to the jury votes he managed to get second place over Spain by a mere seven points.
Iā€˜m sorry, I just donā€™t like people dismissing a very successful Eurovision country like Ukraine, just because UK for once sent a song that juries found radio-friendly enough to vote for šŸ˜
They are a very successful Eurovision country but I really donā€™t think theyā€™d have won that year if it wasnā€™t for the war - whether it was Sam who won instead or someone else. The same for their elevated public vote again last year and this year, I doubt theyā€™d have placed as well as they did either year without it.

The same way the UK are a very successful Eurovision country overall but there was no way in hell we were going to place well this year šŸ˜‚. Saying one entry wouldnā€™t have done as well as it did isnā€™t dismissing Ukraine.

Reactions: 3
I mean, yes, 5 victories in 66 years is very successful (Germany for instance has won only twice), but UKā€˜s last win was in 1997 (!!) when much less countries took part.
Ukraine was already getting very good results - including wins- before 2022, within a relatively short time of participation, thatā€™s all Iā€™m saying šŸ˜

I mean, yes, 5 victories in 66 years is very successful (Germany for instance has won only twice), but UKā€˜s last win was in 1997 (!!) when much less countries took part.
Ukraine was already getting very good results - including wins- before 2022, within a relatively short time of participation, thatā€™s all Iā€™m saying šŸ˜
I donā€™t think anyone was saying they werenā€™t tbf, just that they probably wouldnā€™t have won that year without the sympathy/political vote šŸ˜‚

Stefania is a banger and deserved to win. Also Ukraine weā€™re robbed the year before because Shum should have won.

Reactions: 9