Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I'd forgotten that awful Spanish entry had come dead last in the public vote. 90 point difference between the public and the jury vote. That's quite a gap.

The public and the jury seemed to agree on (10 points or less difference):

Israel
Italy
Cyprus
France
Serbia
UK
I hadn't even clocked that spain had come last in the public vote. I don't know what the juries were thinking with that one...

Reactions: 6

Pipsy

VIP Member
I'd forgotten how crap Eurovision is. Its social media that makes it fun.

• Haha
Reactions: 5

IndominusRex

VIP Member
So much for that, hahaha.

I wonder how much if anything they get paid to participate. Not much info is available online other than their expenses maybe being paid. It’s no wonder artists end up doing ads and things, especially with streaming paying so little. Realistically, nowadays they have to do shows to earn money through music rather than rely on album sales. I expect it’ll be part of the reason why Sam Ryder has been everywhere. I respect him for that though - he’s clearly working hard to make music his income rather than taking the easy route and start shilling any old crap.
Based on his Instagram Sam has taken about 5 days off in the past year. I somehow can’t imagine Mae having the same work ethic.

Cáca_Milis

VIP Member
Midweek charts, Mae is #6, Loreen is #9 and Cha Cha Cha is #21

---

Mum or aunt? Her aunt Sophie is pretty legendary in the music world.
Isn't no. 18 'Queen Of Kings' the Norwegian entry?

Yel

Chatty Member
I hope Mae does go on to get a career. Can see her presenting.

Must be so flat now it's all over after touring around Europe for the last few months with a busy schedule.

HarmonicOlive

I googled the lyrics to Finland. Basically about getting drunk and having a good time. There’s not much to them but the benefits of singing in a language very few other people know is as long as the music is good no one cares 🤣
He basically likes Pina Coladas and drunk dancing. Which I can relate to 😆

NowIsGood

Chatty Member
To be fair Ollie will put on SHOW and that's half the battle with Eurovision. No idea how he sounds live, but I do like his songs, so I think we're in a for a good shot!
MOD EDIT: 2024 thread here

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs Fluff

VIP Member
Without the benefit of a few wines I've just looked at the Croatian song again and much as I love the daft entries in Eurovision, this traumatised me.

• Haha
Reactions: 4

IndominusRex

VIP Member
I’ve found it interesting that none of the other acts have mentioned Mae in their goodbye to Eurovision posts. It feels like a lot of them have made good friendships there and she wasn’t one of them.

Merpedy

VIP Member
Solo did well with the public despite being on the same wave as Mae’s song and the Polish girl has been bullied the whole season because of some nepotism controversy and poor pronunciation which turned into a meme

The idea that the song was just too British doesn’t float at all

kev1974

VIP Member
I guess they either decided that Stockholm can't cope, or they actively want to use the opportunity to promote to Europe that you can fly into Copenhagen and then pop over to Sweden. A little bit of hotel trade and air passenger duty lost to Denmark might be well worth it in exchange for teaching Europe how close and easy to cross the bridge from Denmark to Sweden is.

Yel

Chatty Member
In a contest where the top songs all featured sincere, straightforward messages about overcoming adversity and standing up for love, Mae's post-modern, meta-textual lyrics failed to find an audience.
They're not totally wrong, but it's so pretentious the way they put it across. 😆

Yes it needs to be in your face what the message of the song is and no one will get it on one listen with barely audible vocals. Not about it being too British though. Dua with "new rules" and "I don't give a fuck" charted everywhere.

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
I still say the result was a fix. I phoned the voting line, and voted for Israel but according to Graham Norton, I voted for Cyprus. Thanks for that Graham!

• Wow

Merpedy

VIP Member
if they run out of hotels there you can stay in Copenhagen
I think this is sort of what makes it a bit surprising. Eurovision can clearly bring in a lot of money for the local economy and now it will likely be shared partially with Denmark

Yel

Chatty Member
If she'd nailed the first two lines and they had text up hammering home the message behind it then it would have probably done a bit better.

The staging would have been good for an arena tour where people know the song. Not for a casual TV audience.

I think they expected it to do well like Israel with their Sia-type song. But that was vocally good and the meaning was obvious.

It's nothing unique to the UK doing well then going straight to the back next year, happens regularly.

If tap pick the next entry they need to cover the basics and get someone that can deliver vocally on an appropriate song.