Escape into the tea & sympathy chat room #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How are you all doing? How are things @Miscanthus? I’m wrecked ( shouldn’t complain) got a hint there will be a visit from a very critical person🫣 The weeding… The cleaning… fitbit says 30,000+ steps today- In bed with a large G&T ( post shower) and a mini tens on my back🤦‍♀️ - thankfully the weather nice to get out to tidy up ( grateful 🙏)
Hope everyone having a nice weekend

• Heart
Reactions: 3
How are you all doing? How are things @Miscanthus? I’m wrecked ( shouldn’t complain) got a hint there will be a visit from a very critical person🫣 The weeding… The cleaning… fitbit says 30,000+ steps today- In bed with a large G&T ( post shower) and a mini tens on my back🤦‍♀️ - thankfully the weather nice to get out to tidy up ( grateful 🙏)
Hope everyone having a nice weekend
Thanks for asking @Doodlebug005
I'm in hospital with a blood infection as of Friday. Very fed up as it will set my treatment back but getting it sorted is a priority. 😕

• Sad
  • Wow
Thanks for asking @Doodlebug005
I'm in hospital with a blood infection as of Friday. Very fed up as it will set my treatment back but getting it sorted is a priority. 😕
Oh no☹ Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed you will get over that soon🙏 Chelsea flower show on tv this week- make a list of new plants for your garden - you’ll soon be out digging and planting🌹💐🌸🌺🌷🌻🌼🥀

• Heart
How's it going everyone?

I made a low effort into planting my sunflowers, they're normally coddled on windowsills or in the greenhouse, but this year I just stuck them in pots and left them on the patio. The blighters are sprouting and have not yet been eaten by slugs (unlike one of my dahlias). :)

• Heart
How's it going everyone?

I made a low effort into planting my sunflowers, they're normally coddled on windowsills or in the greenhouse, but this year I just stuck them in pots and left them on the patio. The blighters are sprouting and have not yet been eaten by slugs (unlike one of my dahlias). :)
How are you doing Dan? Bloody slugs☹ They did for my lettuce- just bought a tray until the new ones I sat come up! am a bit worried about sunflowers they never last long! I have a gardening question- my wild rose that is rooted on my side of the boundary fence is a bit scruffy- I m training it along the fence but a few lengths have grown into top of fence the neighbours side of the fence- is it ok to tidy things up from my side- i want to pull back the bits that should be on my side- to be fair they have never complained about it- but is it ok to retrieve my roses? and i want to straighten the top a bit- all on my side (I think)
How are you feeling @Miscanthus - did you watch chelsea- of course I was sucked in- saw a clematis called Gurnsey cream- it should be here tomorrow🤭- hope all the tea & sympathy chatters are well😁

• Heart
Reactions: 2
How are you doing Dan? Bloody slugs☹ They did for my lettuce- just bought a tray until the new ones I sat come up! am a bit worried about sunflowers they never last long! I have a gardening question- my wild rose that is rooted on my side of the boundary fence is a bit scruffy- I m training it along the fence but a few lengths have grown into top of fence the neighbours side of the fence- is it ok to tidy things up from my side- i want to pull back the bits that should be on my side- to be fair they have never complained about it- but is it ok to retrieve my roses? and i want to straighten the top a bit- all on my side (I think)
How are you feeling @Miscanthus - did you watch chelsea- of course I was sucked in- saw a clematis called Gurnsey cream- it should be here tomorrow🤭- hope all the tea & sympathy chatters are well😁
I'm OK (fair to middling - I would say crap is still bumbling on in the background, but I have at least replaced the washing line ;) ). I have a very sluggy garden generally, I gave up on lupins decades ago because they just disappear overnight. I did figure out (during lockdown when I put vast amounts of effort in) that the dahlias do much better when they're fed (basic tomato feed for everything) and don't tend to get eaten much (just nibbled here and there), and the same goes for sunflowers. My normal rule of thumb is to only plant them in containers and only when they have 2 sets of leaves (gives the plant a head start). The trouble this year is I'm growing the dahlias from tubers so one has been sacrificed to the critters but the others are ok.

I think you're fine to tidy up the roses from your side, we have climbers on both sides and try and keep them in check. Helped by the majority of our Clematises (clemati?) dying from rot last year, including a 20 year old Montana that had always been sturdy as anything. The only one that survived was the one that's prone to wilt every now and then.

Stuff is finally flowering here, peonies are out, roses and geraniums are coming on nicely and no mow may means the lawn is full of daisies.

Here's one of the first roses to flower in the garden (Olivia Rose Austin - I've caught on to David Austin roses in the last few years or so, they really are fantastic plants):

1716736854074.png

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm OK (fair to middling - I would say crap is still bumbling on in the background, but I have at least replaced the washing line ;) ). I have a very sluggy garden generally, I gave up on lupins decades ago because they just disappear overnight. I did figure out (during lockdown when I put vast amounts of effort in) that the dahlias do much better when they're fed (basic tomato feed for everything) and don't tend to get eaten much (just nibbled here and there), and the same goes for sunflowers. My normal rule of thumb is to only plant them in containers and only when they have 2 sets of leaves (gives the plant a head start). The trouble this year is I'm growing the dahlias from tubers so one has been sacrificed to the critters but the others are ok.

I think you're fine to tidy up the roses from your side, we have climbers on both sides and try and keep them in check. Helped by the majority of our Clematises (clemati?) dying from rot last year, including a 20 year old Montana that had always been sturdy as anything. The only one that survived was the one that's prone to wilt every now and then.

Stuff is finally flowering here, peonies are out, roses and geraniums are coming on nicely and no mow may means the lawn is full of daisies.

Here's one of the first roses to flower in the garden (Olivia Rose Austin - I've caught on to David Austin roses in the last few years or so, they really are fantastic plants):

View attachment 2958331
That rose is absolutely beautiful- what a sweet name ! Bet it smells divine too- I love lupins but we are slug heavy- just not worth the heartache-I have some dahlias this year- 2 in pots👍- 2 in a raised bed👎 - the beasties omg🤬 vine weevil did for strawberries and rhubarb🤬 - and i did 2 applications of nematodes- 🤷‍♀️
Glad to hear you are doing ok- let the empty vessels make their noise- If you haven’t read it I recommend “ The Secret” by Rhonda Byrne/ it definitely helped me tune out the arseholes in my life and I am more grateful and more positive than before I read it- oh I know I occasionally saunter in here with dilemmas … I like to keep yourself, Chita, Miscanthus and all up to speed with your counselling skills🤣🤣
A screenshot of a page if book from Amazon
IMG_5232.jpeg

Thanks for rose advice! not too much has gone through fence- maybe they will be glad when I tidy it!

Last edited:
  • Heart
I was glued to Chelsea! Still in hospital. There was chance I could go home last Friday and be treated at home with another IV antibiotic that was just once a day. Unfortunately they had to do a blood test first and it showed I am so anaemic I might need a transfusion. 😱 First I'd heard of it! Seems levels have been going down all week. I don’t have any symptoms though. Anyhoo it was too dangerous to let me go home. I've now had an injection to help and waiting for results of further blood test.
Gave up on lupins years ago because of those giant aphids that love them. Missing my garden. I hadn't even done my pots and baskets so the plants are all waiting for me.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Hope you're doing better, @Miscanthus ❤ My classmate with Thalassemia required frequent transfusions to deal with the anaemia. The good news was that she was always quite refreshed after one. Had we not been too young and my classmates too non-cool, I'd have made quite a few vampire jokes 😂 my favourite lab tech usually gets the brunt of them nowadays 😂

That's a beautiful bloom, @DanDanTheIceCreamMan! ❤ Makes me miss the big bush of little tea roses we had in our garden in our previous home. Wish we could have brought a cutting with us.

I'd thrown in a few Lupin seeds a few times, nothing ever came of it. Although something ridiculous happened this year. As I've complained before, we've been going through a massive heatwave (40C+ day temperatures), crossed 50C in the national capital. People and plants dying. So I was quite pleased that my gomphrena that I'd sown a few months earlier were growing - they're pretty and quite sought after by artists as inclusions so I figured maybe a bit of commercial success? I'd made some cute earrings with flowers I'd bought from a craft supplier, was excited to use my own. Anyway, this was my first time growing gomphrena, but I could tell something was off. When the first bud bloomed, I realised that it was a zinnia. Which I'd last sown I think three or four years ago, and had never sprouted. It's a bit eaten up, but it's nodding its head around 😂 waiting to see what colours the other two plants put out.

Lots of mites, aphids, little orange-y bugs and lots more pests. I hate mealy mouth the most though. Every day twice a day I have to wash certain very spiky plants and scrub the leaves and get rid of the bloody creatures one by one by hand. And they're so icky!!! I'm very squeamish :( Can't apply any sort of repellant because it's too hot and the plants will burn. So physical removal it is 🤷

Physical health is bleh - heatstroke and almost-pneumonia at the same time, mum's usual stuff, caught dad in some lies so I'm dealing with that (financial stuff, not anything else), super-hectic at work, haven't crafted in months so withdrawal symptoms, TV and air conditioner and other gadgets keep dying or aren't working at their best so the cost plus the boredom. And the dog bit me again.

But we have ice and cold drinking water, I can afford to buy non-alcoholic beer (the malt saves my kidneys from giving up), I'm actually contributing at work and learning stuff, weather might start improving soon, the cricket world cup is beginning this weekend, and my material manufacturer told me that we're in the correct weather for crafting so I just need to be a little less exhausted. And I love my seedlings and the ginger lily is sprouting and the Pup likes me sometimes.

So lots of silver linings.

I'm also planning to buy some fun makeup for exhibitions to push myself for some self-care 🤞

I can definitely complain 😂 but at least right now my mood is not too bad. Especially after the breakdown yesterday. Being in long meetings (virtual) all day and hearing them all laugh and have fun (some were in client's office while the rest of us connected from home) was quite nice and comforting. Man is a social animal, after all 🤷

Anyway, here are my gomphrena earrings. Not a very good photo, but it will do. Tried doing a photo with the flowers but it really confused the camera 😂

IMG_20240529_223248~2.jpg

ETA: I'd read that mealy mouth etc are attracted to lush green gardens, so I left my dried out Fenugreek plants in the containers - not much is growing anyway in this heat. Seems to have worked. Mealy mouth and others are a daily nuisance, but not as bad as previous years even though conditions are ideal for them right now. Worth a try, maybe, to leave some dried grass in?

• Heart
Hope you're doing better, @Miscanthus ❤ My classmate with Thalassemia required frequent transfusions to deal with the anaemia. The good news was that she was always quite refreshed after one. Had we not been too young and my classmates too non-cool, I'd have made quite a few vampire jokes 😂 my favourite lab tech usually gets the brunt of them nowadays 😂

That's a beautiful bloom, @DanDanTheIceCreamMan! ❤ Makes me miss the big bush of little tea roses we had in our garden in our previous home. Wish we could have brought a cutting with us.

I'd thrown in a few Lupin seeds a few times, nothing ever came of it. Although something ridiculous happened this year. As I've complained before, we've been going through a massive heatwave (40C+ day temperatures), crossed 50C in the national capital. People and plants dying. So I was quite pleased that my gomphrena that I'd sown a few months earlier were growing - they're pretty and quite sought after by artists as inclusions so I figured maybe a bit of commercial success? I'd made some cute earrings with flowers I'd bought from a craft supplier, was excited to use my own. Anyway, this was my first time growing gomphrena, but I could tell something was off. When the first bud bloomed, I realised that it was a zinnia. Which I'd last sown I think three or four years ago, and had never sprouted. It's a bit eaten up, but it's nodding its head around 😂 waiting to see what colours the other two plants put out.

Lots of mites, aphids, little orange-y bugs and lots more pests. I hate mealy mouth the most though. Every day twice a day I have to wash certain very spiky plants and scrub the leaves and get rid of the bloody creatures one by one by hand. And they're so icky!!! I'm very squeamish :( Can't apply any sort of repellant because it's too hot and the plants will burn. So physical removal it is 🤷

Physical health is bleh - heatstroke and almost-pneumonia at the same time, mum's usual stuff, caught dad in some lies so I'm dealing with that (financial stuff, not anything else), super-hectic at work, haven't crafted in months so withdrawal symptoms, TV and air conditioner and other gadgets keep dying or aren't working at their best so the cost plus the boredom. And the dog bit me again.

But we have ice and cold drinking water, I can afford to buy non-alcoholic beer (the malt saves my kidneys from giving up), I'm actually contributing at work and learning stuff, weather might start improving soon, the cricket world cup is beginning this weekend, and my material manufacturer told me that we're in the correct weather for crafting so I just need to be a little less exhausted. And I love my seedlings and the ginger lily is sprouting and the Pup likes me sometimes.

So lots of silver linings.

I'm also planning to buy some fun makeup for exhibitions to push myself for some self-care 🤞

I can definitely complain 😂 but at least right now my mood is not too bad. Especially after the breakdown yesterday. Being in long meetings (virtual) all day and hearing them all laugh and have fun (some were in client's office while the rest of us connected from home) was quite nice and comforting. Man is a social animal, after all 🤷

Anyway, here are my gomphrena earrings. Not a very good photo, but it will do. Tried doing a photo with the flowers but it really confused the camera 😂

View attachment 2963704

ETA: I'd read that mealy mouth etc are attracted to lush green gardens, so I left my dried out Fenugreek plants in the containers - not much is growing anyway in this heat. Seems to have worked. Mealy mouth and others are a daily nuisance, but not as bad as previous years even though conditions are ideal for them right now. Worth a try, maybe, to leave some dried grass in?
Pretty earrings! x

• Heart
I did go away and I'm going away again towards the end of June for a couple of weeks x

That's lovely! Have a safe and memorable trip! ☺

My good mood didn't last long. Heatwave got worse instead of abating as had been forecast so I woke up with a bad headache. Thankfully it was a quiet day at work.

When I got to my plants upstairs after my shift, it was as I'd suspected. My mum had lied about doing any of the work she'd claimed to do yesterday, including watering the plants. She'd maybe watered one that she wants for veggies (one of the gourds). She'd shouted at me and made passive-aggressive comments for being lazy and not cleaning the terrace (it's a heatwave, leaves are dropping constantly) and letting weeds grow in containers (nothing else is growing, and if our neighbour sees an empty container with my carefully-mixed expensive soil, she steals it - I'd told mum that I was doing that and she'd agreed before). She'd shouted that she'd cleaned out all the containers (she did just two out of more than 20, and wasted a LOT of soil), cleaned the terrace (nope) and the little landing inside (nope again). And twice she told me that she had watered the plants so I don't have to go. I'd got off a 5-hour meeting so was grateful. Big mistake.

So today when I went upstairs, one of my tomato plants that I had been keeping alive with great difficulty, had died, and the other one was on the brink. As were the zinnias. The second plant had beautiful chrome yellow flowers. I don't know if we'll ever find out about the third one. Most of my lemon balm is dead. Mum really hated my wildflower planter. Her mindset is that we should grow only veggies or some ornamental plants that we've had for years (those also she's wanted to throw out/has destroyed). And she hates anything that makes me happy. A few other plants are also dead or dying. Plus even though I'd told her not to, she picked off a lot of leaves from the curry plants which are already under stress - this is the first summer in a few years when we didn't nearly lose them, but we're likely to now.

The worst part is that no matter how I'm feeling physically or have to manage my time and energy with what's going on in the office and the dog (another story), I can't rely on her at all (which is a given, but she shouldn't have offered). And also that I have to be constantly anxious that she'll go upstairs and ruin something again, and that I'll have to take up feeding the bloody crows at crazy times, which is how this started (she and dad feed feral crows which I don't support, they demand food all day but I don't want to make multiple trips upstairs in the heat and especially before sunset - they go back to their roosts around then. Mum went upstairs on the pretext of feeding them. Now every time I hear the gate open and shut, I jump). She's messing with my sense of peace and safety again.

Just so irritated 😤

I had plans to finally create some art today especially with the monsoon hitting the mainland, had even arranged my stuff outside, but now it's 1.30am and I'm in my room, too exhausted to deal with any of it.

Oh there was no apology or even acknowledgement of her role, of course. Just a few minutes of acting clingy then back to passive-aggressive comments. Just asking if she should save some seeds from the veggies. Which I've told her a hundred times not to do because I have good seeds from a nursery and she mixes everything in a cup and that messes with the pots (random stuff growing).

TGIF, I suppose. Our HR are organising a little online party, so that should be fun. And we vote on Saturday so that's going to be another exercise in frustration. I can guarantee it 😂

• Sad
  • Heart
How's everybody doing?

The sun has finally come out here and the garden has gone into full bloom all at once (about bloody time!)

• Heart
Beautiful Rose - joyful 😍 Hope everyone doing ok? 🙏 We are going through some things atm - hubby had surgery- stress levels off the charts for a while but hopefully things are settling down now🙏 curveballs… life throws them hard… and they bring their friends🫣….. Lots of deep breaths😵💫

View attachment 2987377
Glad things are settling down @Doodlebug005 and I hope MrDB is doing well. How is it that things always happen at once? it's always the way isn't it.

We've finally (touch wood) turned a corner here. I had my routine '50th birthday special' mammogram in April and have just got the all clear after several hospital visits/scans/biopsies, bloody terrifying. But anyway, I got the easy way out in the end and we can all breathe a sigh of relief.

On the more fun side, my 'political' poster arrived today and has been hung in the window... The good news is, it doubles as a tea towel once all this nonsense is over ;) We can't decide whether it will attract convassers or scare them off, only time will tell :)

• Heart
Firstly, I am extremely grateful to have a dentist in the first place so part of me feels ashamed of having a little grumble but...

Earlier this year I had a really nasty fall and landed smack on my face. It transpired some time later that this had caused enough damage to one of my top front teeth that I needed root canal and crown surgeries to fix it.

Again, I'm really grateful that I'm able to have the treatment I need but today is my third surgery in two weeks and... it is kind of exhausting and mentally draining too.

Mainly I'm just furious at myself for falling over like that. It's never happened in my life. One minute up, next down. It was traumatic as I also injured my hands and couldn't use them properly for weeks, and hurt one of my feet as well and had a limp for a while. I'm still very shaken about what heppened even though I'm better and some time has passed.

I really hope nothing like that ever happens to me again.

• Heart