Escape into the Tea & Sympathy chat room #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@NorthernValkyrie - you did the right thing.

The hard part is over.
Naturally you feel shaky and tearful. Don't beat yourself up. It's quite normal.

Now you need to distract yourself from the chattering mind chimp that is creating your paranoia and you will be able to do that very soon. Its all a bit too recent and too much of a shock to put it to the back of your mind this quick.
Tell your mind chimp the person is 'known' and if they kick off again, all you have to do is alert the authorities. They will be dealt with.

The person WILL kick off again, but not necessarily with you.

So, you have to try and chill now.
Get some ginger or peppermint cordial or tea to settle your tummy.
And try and sleep.

The bad thing has gone away now.
Xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Thank-you - we had her individually cremated, just got her ashes back today in a beautiful casket

Our pets are our companions and friends, along with our human ones; Fuuko was something else - so clever and so adept in manipulating our behaviour; she used to tell me when my husband was arriving home from work (despite various nurse shifts), she knew the sound of our car's engine and was waiting by the door!
What a beautiful casket, so sorry for your loss.

Reactions: 1
@Lady_H
@HairyWeeTerrier
@DoubleOld
And anyone else feeling rotten....

Lets 'ave a chat.
Christmas and it's fake jollity just seems to make your sadness or depression or loneliness feel ten times bigger.
You don't have to give personal details about why Christmas makes you feel shite, we can chat about whatever without that and hopefully we can distract ourselves a bit.

People can be so selfish and self obsessed that they don't even notice others might be feeling low.

I'm sick of putting a brave face on things TBH. And sick of people moaning about stuff they should be grateful for. Cos wgat they take for granted others can only dream of having.

Pretty fairy lights do help light up the gloom of winter nights and Christmas cards do bring a warm feeling - or they would if the delivery people werent on strike!
But these things don't really cure the low feelings or the grief or depression.

Escapism and distraction really helps though.
And laughter.
Gotta try and have a laugh.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
@Lady_H
@HairyWeeTerrier
@DoubleOld

Lets 'ave a chat.
Christmas and it's fake jollity just seems to make your sadness or depression or loneliness feel ten times bigger.
You don't have to give personal details about why Christmas makes you feel shite, we can chat about whatever without that and hopefully we can distract ourselves a bit.

People can be so selfish and self obsessed that they don't even notice others might be feeling low.

I'm sick of putting a brave face on things TBH. And sick of people moaning about stuff they should be grateful for. Cos wgat they take for granted others can only dream of having.

Pretty fairy lights do help light up the gloom of winter nights and Christmas cards do bring a warm feeling - or they would if the delivery people werent on strike!

And laughter.
Oh, @Chita, you are going to make me cry. And from both eyes; not just the left! one!!! What a sweet, kind person you are. Virtual hugs from across the pond. 🥰

• Heart
Oh, @Chita, you are going to make me cry. And from both eyes; not just the left! one!!! What a sweet, kind person you are. Virtual hugs from across the pond. 🥰
Are you alright?
I'm watching shite Christmas movies that are shown on uk tv in the afternoons.

Escapism.
They are utterly ridiculous.

All seem to be filmed on the same set with fake snow at the edges of pavements.
The storefronts all look the same.
The actors are all from the same mould. Perfect teeth, perfect bodies and the mothers always look younger than their kids.
The Christmas decorations are all the same.
There are always carollers randomly wandering about with insane grins on their faces singing at people.
There is always a Christmas tree lot with people looking for the perfect tree.

They all wear jolly sweaters but you just know it wasnt really cold when they filmed it.

There is always a Christmas light switch on ceremony and the whole town attends.
There is always a woman with a clipboard making an announcement.

There is always someone who is a big hitter in the city who comes home for Christmas and they have a deadline to meet for work and a boss on the phone every five minutes chasing them up.
Often they get snowbound and can't get back to work to meet the deadline.

They often need to do a hatchet job on some small family firm to get a promotion but they run into their highschool sweetheart who works for the firm they have been sent to ruin and they feel torn between going back to the city to get that big promotion or staying back home and living happy ever after.
While they are snowbound someone else does the dirty on the firm but they get the blame.
The highschool sweetheart is heartbroken at their betrayal and goes off in a huff.
But they always come back.

There is a Christnas cookie competition.
There is eggnog.
There is haaaaat fecking chaaaaaclit.

Every one of them is the bloody same.

But oh boy do I love watching them and taking the piss.

Ho
Ho
Bloody
Ho

Oh holy night, Christmas is a load of shite.

EDITED TO ADD
I forgot to mention they are always making gingerbread houses as well.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Wonderful idea. Thank you @Chita! This has given me a boost! Look forward to getting through the holidays with you all. Clearing up after dinner but will be back for a cuppa later ☕

Reactions: 3
Wonderful idea. Thank you @Chita! This has given me a boost! Look forward to getting through the holidays with you all. Clearing up after dinner but will be back for a cuppa later ☕

Bear in mind the time difference.
If us Brits and the Aussies/ NZ's have gone to bed we will be back!
Hang in there. You are never alone on Tattle.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
This weekend has been HARD. I’m going to say it out loud.

I DON’T LIKE CHRISTMAS.

I know I used to. I absolutely remember that “Christmas feeling” and the magic, but it has DIED for me. It is years and years of dealing with mum’s dementia, then the loss of both my parents around Christmas 4 years ago, my family splintering, my partner having no family. I’m just done with it.

However I do have a kid so of course he is excited for Christmas. So I will keep it all going for his sake.

But I just can’t be arsed with any of it. Literally feel numb about it all, zombie-like, doing the tree and cards and decorations because I have to. I would happily skip this whole ridiculous lark and wake up on 5th Jan when it’s time to go back to work.

It only really gets to me when someone tells me they love Christmas and then it really gets me behind the eyes and in the throat, and I’m envious about past times I’ll ever have again when everything seemed so much more straightforward and cheerful.

Damn you, Christmas!

Except for the mince pies which are bloody lovely.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Our friend died ealier today, I have only just found out. I am upset because in the last few weeks of his life, I never saw him. It became too traumatic.
In the end it was a merciful release because he had suffered horrendously for so long.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Our friend died ealier today, I have only just found out. I am upset because in the last few weeks of his life, I never saw him. It became too traumatic.
In the end it was a merciful release because he had suffered horrendously for so long.
Sorry to hear that.

Is this the friend who was your husband's friend and was very demanding of you both?

Reactions: 4
Yes it is.
Don't beat yourself up about it. I'm sure your friend wouldn't have wanted you to be traumatised by his illness, although he may not have agreed with that latterly. Have you been left to organise the funeral or has he got someone else who can do that?

Woah @Rockin' Robin so sorry to hear that.

But you did EVERYTHING you could for that guy.
And I know it sounds trite but he is out of pain now and you are released.

You and your husband have been wonderful friends to him.
Just wonderful.

I DON’T LIKE CHRISTMAS.

I know I used to. I absolutely remember that “Christmas feeling” and the magic, but it has DIED for me. It is years and years of dealing with mum’s dementia, then the loss of both my parents around Christmas 4 years ago, my family splintering, my partner having no family. I’m just done with it.

However I do have a kid so of course he is excited for Christmas. So I will keep it all going for his sake.

But I just can’t be arsed with any of it. Literally feel numb about it all, zombie-like, doing the tree and cards and decorations because I have to. I would happily skip this whole ridiculous lark and wake up on 5th Jan when it’s time to go back to work.

It only really gets to me when someone tells me they love Christmas and then it really gets me behind the eyes and in the throat, and I’m envious about past times I’ll ever have again when everything seemed so much more straightforward and cheerful.

Damn you, Christmas!

I had to go into my bank today.
I guess I have "one of those faces" because strangers in queues often talk to me as if they have known me years. They tell me stuff about their illnesses and personal stuff.

Woman in front of me was on about wrapping all her presents for everybody in her family how busy she is getting everything ready for "the big day" and how much work it is etc.
I smiled wanly.
Then she said are you ready for Christmas? And looked at me like a spaniel expecting to be given doggy treats.

WTF do you say??

I don't have kids or siblings.
One of my friends died of cancer during covid, another took his own life this year and the members of my family who haven't already died are so depressed that they are contemplating suicide and Im trying to stay positive when I lost all my freelance work during covid and havent got back to normal work levels yet.
So WTF do you say to people like the woman in the bank?
You can't tit on their joy just because your life is currently crap.
So I just fought back the tears and told her it all sounds lovely and I hope she has a wonderful Christmas.
I've never been so glad to hear the mechanical voice say, " cashier number 3 please."

You've got to laugh and try and vibrate up, but it's not bloody easy is it.

Thank goodness for Tattle.
Thats what I say.

PS then I came home and started on the Christmas cake. Feck it.
Had 2 slices.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Don't beat yourself up about it. I'm sure your friend wouldn't have wanted you to be traumatised by his illness, although he may not have agreed with that latterly. Have you been left to organise the funeral or has he got someone else who can do that?
We'll probably organise the funeral, he had no living relatives. Thank you for your kind words.
Thanks also, to Chita for your kind words.

I've just read that Terry Hall, lead singer of The Specials has died. He was 63, the same age as our friend. It's been an awful day.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
So sorry to hear this @Rockin' Robin
I remember how much you and your husband did for him as he had nobody. He was so lucky to have you. You are both amazing.
I hope he's at peace and that you are able to tell yourselves you did all you could.
Please don't be upset that you didn't see him in the last few weeks. It was incredibly draining and nobody could say you didn't do everything possible.

• Heart
Also @Rockin' Robin start to prepare yourself mentally for the funeral.
He had no relatives so there will be no mourners or hardly any.
So that adds to the sadness of the occasion but if you prepare yourself for that it will help a little.

Reactions: 4
So sorry to hear this @Rockin' Robin
I remember how much you and your husband did for him as he had nobody. He was so lucky to have you. You are both amazing.
I hope he's at peace and that you are able to tell yourselves you did all you could.
Please don't be upset that you didn't see him in the last few weeks. It was incredibly draining and nobody could say you didn't do everything possible.
Thank you for your kind words.

• Heart

I DON’T LIKE CHRISTMAS.

Damn you, Christmas!

I too remember the magic, but sometimes life sucks it all away, doesn’t it ? I wonder how many people really enjoy it though? Especially if there are no children in the mix who still believe in Santa. Because apart from the hard work and expense of it all, there is such a lot of pressure to be happy. And with everything else going on at the moment, that is becoming increasingly difficult. I’ll look at the houses of my neighbours. There is great jollity across the road, as a lady who lives on her own has her children visiting with their families, I don’t think there will be arguments, so they will enjoy it all, and they are Christians, so they will do church etc., Next is a very boring couple with an unmarried reclusive daughter, they have their garden festooned with lights, but once presents are exchanged, it will be the rest of the day watching television. Then we have an older lady who had a great relationship with another of the neighbours. Their respective spouses died years ago since then, and they got together and had spent all their time together. He died earlier in the year. To help her, her daughter sent their family dog to live with her, which raised her spirits enormously. Sadly, not only did the dog die a few weeks ago, the lady discovered she has ovarian cancer. She will have her family around her for Christmas, but her heart won’t be in it. The house which belonged to the man who died is now occupied by a young couple with a three year old, they have all their family still, and I reckon no money worries, so they will likely have a good time. As for me, I too looked after my parents, which is difficult and very draining, and I feel it did put a full stop on my life in some respects. I got out of the habit of seeing friends and going out, I now wonder where I got the energy. Then my daughter’s husband got into a lot of financial trouble behind her back. They had to come to live with me, but he got worse, and we sent him packing. So I have my daughter and my grandson, who is now a young man. He has flown the coop this year, gone to his girlfriend, so it is just my daughter and I. It will be a pretty mundane Christmas I suppose, and it is easy to wish for something exciting. I would have become very down about it in past years, but this year I am going to try to enjoy it. I am going to be lazy, sit about eating sweeties etc., I’ll try to find something watchable on television or read a book. Or come on here, because I know I will not be the only one in this boat. If. Christmas means nothing to us now really, in terms of Santa, or being a Christian, why should we not regard it as another day, with more treats? Though for me, Christmas is a Mardi Gras compared to bloody New Year. But I have that sorted, I go to bed early. I hated it as a child, and life has sent me reasons to hate it even more. This time of year is hellish for many, but in no time at all it will be over. And we still have Megsie Baby.

My friends father in law is incapacitated, tia stroke, yet they deem themselves able to drive, it's a worry
Thank you @Rockin' Robin
This is very common. Really the medics should inform the DVLA about situations like this, but I know that with some conditions, it is left to the individual to report themselves, which of course they don’t do. It is very worrying. My Dad had a stroke, very mild, but had he been driving at the time, it would have been awful. He wanted to keep driving, but he had never had any sort of accident in his car, so I said that if he were in an accident after the stroke, even if none of the blame was his, he would be held responsible. This made him think. And it actually happened to a friend of mine who has MS. He was at a junction pulling out, when a car jumped the lights and hit him. The police were called, and my friend found it very difficult to make them believe that the incident had nothing to do with his illness. He hasn’t driven since.

@Lady_H
@HairyWeeTerrier
@DoubleOld

Lets 'ave a chat.

And laughter.
I have only just seen this. You realise I am a miserable old bugger 😉

Thank you for asking. I am OK.

It is hard with him still in the house. Once he finds a place to rent and moves out it will be a lot easier.
It most certainly will get easier, but being told that means nothing in the early days. I remember feeling that kicked in the stomach moment on waking, the feeling that I would not be able to live without him. Now I wonder what I was miserable about. Can we all wish him a life of constipation and piles , boils, athletes foot, scurvy ? Or what about sexual disjunction ? Would that help in any way?

This is my first visit to this site but I recognise most of the lovely posters from the H&M site so you all feel like old friends.
Some of you will know that in July my darling husband of almost 51 years passed away. He had been ill for a long time so it wasn’t a shock and I seemed to cope OK at the time and ‘got on with my life’.
Recently, seeing all the Christmas stuff in the shops and the adverts on TV has just triggered a great sadness in me. I can’t explain why as I know it will be the first Christmas without him but he wasn’t a great fan of Christmas so the day was always spent with just the two of us having a Christmas dinner and watching TV.
The family knew this but now offers are coming in from everywhere asking me to spend Christmas with them. I don’t want to be alone on Christmas Day but the other days I’m not bothered about. Trying to say “Thanks, but no thanks” is very hard to do.
Bless them I know they mean well but sometimes I just want to be alone with my memories of the happier days. I often look at old photos, which doesn’t make me sad just glad remembering all the good times we shared, and this I suppose is my way of coping with my grief.
However, my family think I should be out and about doing things all the time not sitting at home by myself ….. it’s so hard trying to convince them otherwise.
Put on Puff The Magic Dragon, have a good cry, eat chocolate, and explore your memories. Enforced joy is no joy at all. One day you might feel that you can cope with it all, but till then, indulge yourself . I expect you can feel him beside you still, you had something very precious.❤

If you wanna avoid doing the interview say you've either tested positive for covid and need to isolate or you have that noro virus where you have to keep away from people for 2 days because you have been vomiting and had diarrhoea.
Ah, Chita, you are like me, I can always spin a good lie. It is less offensive that duck Off. 😂

I dread Valentine's Day the most. When I had someone to celebrate it with, they didn't think I was worth celebrating with. Good riddance, I know. But it still hurts because I didn't find anyone else who would want to celebrate with me. And those ugly red and pink teddies everywhere - nightmares. I'd be happy to see the nicely-made ones, but only get to see abominations. The worst part. We've got a religious version of it too later in the year. 🤦

Have to get through my birthday next month first though. I'd rather sit for an exam.

Spiralling again. I wish I could get like one hint that things are going to be better or they're going to be worse so I can make plans. Panicking is exhausting, and I shouldn't be alone with my brain. Time for some chocolate ice cream, I think.

How do you get through the bad times? Like when it seems like there's no hope? Something or the other gets better, right?
Seriously, I try to sleep as much as I can, because it gives my brain a rest. And it is the oldest cliche, I know, but nothing lasts forever, it just seems that way. Try to fight each battle as it comes, try not to cave. Even one little success erodes the mass of problems Even if slow. You are as good as anyone else, and in the words of my old Bob Dylan, “If you need somebody you can trust, trust yourself ”. To be perfectly honest, there is an answer to every problem in Old Bob’s lyrics. That man must have been through a great deal in his life 😉. If you don’t listen to him, give it a try.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I too remember the magic, but sometimes life sucks it all away, doesn’t it ? I wonder how many people really enjoy it though? Especially if there are no children in the mix who still believe in Santa. Because apart from the hard work and expense of it all, there is such a lot of pressure to be happy. And with everything else going on at the moment, that is becoming increasingly difficult. I’ll look at the houses of my neighbours. There is great jollity across the road, as a lady who lives on her own has her children visiting with their families, I don’t think there will be arguments, so they will enjoy it all, and they are Christians, so they will do church etc., Next is a very boring couple with an unmarried reclusive daughter, they have their garden festooned with lights, but once presents are exchanged, it will be the rest of the day watching television. Then we have an older lady who had a great relationship with another of the neighbours. Their respective spouses died years ago since then, and they got together and had spent all their time together. He died earlier in the year. To help her, her daughter sent their family dog to live with her, which raised her spirits enormously. Sadly, not only did the dog die a few weeks ago, the lady discovered she has ovarian cancer. She will have her family around her for Christmas, but her heart won’t be in it. The house which belonged to the man who died is now occupied by a young couple with a three year old, they have all their family still, and I reckon no money worries, so they will likely have a good time. As for me, I too looked after my parents, which is difficult and very draining, and I feel it did put a full stop on my life in some respects. I got out of the habit of seeing friends and going out, I now wonder where I got the energy. Then my daughter’s husband got into a lot of financial trouble behind her back. They had to come to live with me, but he got worse, and we sent him packing. So I have my daughter and my grandson, who is now a young man. He has flown the coop this year, gone to his girlfriend, so it is just my daughter and I. It will be a pretty mundane Christmas I suppose, and it is easy to wish for something exciting. I would have become very down about it in past years, but this year I am going to try to enjoy it. I am going to be lazy, sit about eating sweeties etc., I’ll try to find something watchable on television or read a book. Or come on here, because I know I will not be the only one in this boat. If. Christmas means nothing to us now really, in terms of Santa, or being a Christian, why should we not regard it as another day, with more treats? Though for me, Christmas is a Mardi Gras compared to bloody New Year. But I have that sorted, I go to bed early. I hated it as a child, and life has sent me reasons to hate it even more. This time of year is hellish for many, but in no time at all it will be over. And we still have Megsie Baby.

This is very common. Really the medics should inform the DVLA about situations like this, but I know that with some conditions, it is left to the individual to report themselves, which of course they don’t do. It is very worrying. My Dad had a stroke, very mild, but had he been driving at the time, it would have been awful. He wanted to keep driving, but he had never had any sort of accident in his car, so I said that if he were in an accident after the stroke, even if none of the blame was his, he would be held responsible. This made him think. And it actually happened to a friend of mine who has MS. He was at a junction pulling out, when a car jumped the lights and hit him. The police were called, and my friend found it very difficult to make them believe that the incident had nothing to do with his illness. He hasn’t driven since.

I have only just seen this. You realise I am a miserable old bugger 😉

It most certainly will get easier, but being told that means nothing in the early days. I remember feeling that kicked in the stomach moment on waking, the feeling that I would not be able to live without him. Now I wonder what I was miserable about. Can we all wish him a life of constipation and piles , boils, athletes foot, scurvy ? Or what about sexual disjunction ? Would that help in any way?

Put on Puff The Magic Dragon, have a good cry, eat chocolate, and explore your memories. Enforced joy is no joy at all. One day you might feel that you can cope with it all, but till then, indulge yourself . I expect you can feel him beside you still, you had something very precious.❤

Ah, Chita, you are like me, I can always spin a good lie. It is less offensive that duck Off. 😂

Seriously, I try to sleep as much as I can, because it gives my brain a rest. And it is the oldest cliche, I know, but nothing lasts forever, it just seems that way. Try to fight each battle as it comes, try not to cave. Even one little success erodes the mass of problems Even if slow. You are as good as anyone else, and in the words of my old Bob Dylan, “If you need somebody you can trust, trust yourself ”. To be perfectly honest, there is an answer to every problem in Old Bob’s lyrics. That man must have been through a great deal in his life 😉. If you don’t listen to him, give it a try.

Love this post. XxxX

Bob can't sing but by heck, what a wordsmith.
The man is a true poet.

• Heart
Robin so sorry to hear about your friend - you both went above and beyond for him so be proud of what you did, do your best for the funeral and try to remember the good times.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.