Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

sledgehammer

Chatty Member
I had written Affie off a long time ago unfortunately. I’ve been around for a long time and have seen many horses like this over the last 5 decades that can’t get fully sound. They usually have lots of connected things such as SI, PSD, hock problems and they become money pits that will never stand up to any work. I would hazard a guess that Affie’s fiery nature is connected to these low grade issues and that they have actually been grumbling on for a long time. Been there and got the T-shirt on more than one occasion.
I feel sorry for Han, particularly as this was her first proper pony, but I would definitely be cutting my losses now and having her PTS. I appreciate that my experience makes it easier to say that and I can fully understand why is she is wanting more answers first.
I have a lot of respect for Han and I believe she will do right by the pony.

Reactions: 26

Sodjdwjao

Chatty Member
Skimmed Han's Q&A video & the takeaway is:

-Affie is off to a rehab centre in a few weeks but if they can't get her sound then it sounds like she'll be quietly PTS which is so sad for Han but she's worried that Affie is so young & already having all these issues which could only get worse as she gets older and cause more pain.

-Han admitted Affie wasn't the right horse for her, she loves her to bits but she wasn't the right choice

- She's starting to look for a new horse, something a bit older that's evented BE90/100 that's maybe looking to step down a bit.

-There'll be a more in depth vlog coming about Affie and all her issues and the rehab centre.
Despite Han’s inexperience I really respect her opinions and choices regarding breeding and welfare, it’s not an easy decision to make, especially as she loves Affie so much. I hope she’ll be okay 😢

Reactions: 26

storynerd

Chatty Member
Skimmed Han's Q&A video & the takeaway is:

-Affie is off to a rehab centre in a few weeks but if they can't get her sound then it sounds like she'll be quietly PTS which is so sad for Han but she's worried that Affie is so young & already having all these issues which could only get worse as she gets older and cause more pain.

-Han admitted Affie wasn't the right horse for her, she loves her to bits but she wasn't the right choice

- She's starting to look for a new horse, something a bit older that's evented BE90/100 that's maybe looking to step down a bit.

-There'll be a more in depth vlog coming about Affie and all her issues and the rehab centre.
As sad as it is, I'm glad to hear Han's being realistic about this. So many issues so young and especially with the mare's temperament too (so box resting doesn't sound easy) doesn't bode well for the future and something a bit more schoolmastery that can teach Han rather than her having to teach the horse would be a much better fit for her. It's a horrible situation to be in though!

Reactions: 23

_Willfully_

As for the backyard breeding, what do you define as backyard breeding? To me it’s certainly not the Elphicks
Sorry, I disagree. They breed broken down mares with unknown breeding to big stallions trying to create a sports horse from that genetic alphabet soup.
That is not breeding, that is aimless multiplying of equines.
They're the very definition of backyard breeders. I don't think anyone ever accused them of not looking after their mares or youngsters. That just isn't the point. Not everything needs to be bred just because it has a uterus. Horses, dogs or humans for that matter...

I do agree with the rest of your post though.

Reactions: 22

Alfie1234

VIP Member
I wonder with regards to the big horses if her mum is just not comfortable handling them? I had the same when looking for my new horse, I am in the same very lucky and privileged position that my Pa helps me out but, doesn’t want to be wrangling anything above 16.2. Nothing wrong with that at all and truth be told I am very much a 15.3/16.1 type of gal! I would happily have the bay. Everything I get is x-rayed/vetted. But only go for the traditional Irish dark bay, plus I think with time and a quiet season with hounds it would help her travel more forward.
I wonder why Meg has never been hunting with Lucy, I love Lucy’s hunting vlogs, they’re just such a different watch and good fun. Plus what’s not to love about the very down to earth Justine and hubby, Lucy “I’m not riding today as I’ve got gastrointestinal issues” Justine “you’ve got the shits then?” Rest of the world moans about how much rain there is, promotes coats and boots, Justine walks ur and says “it’s been pissing down all day” with hay in her hair and her glasses steamed up 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Considering all they have they are remarkably relatable and down to earth, you just know that she doesn’t have 45 saddle cloths in every colour possible.

Reactions: 22

storynerd

Chatty Member
I’m really pleased for Tina. Looking forward to lots of training content over the winter
Me too. I know she isn't everyones cup of tea but after the disappointment of this year and all her family struggles I think she deserves some good news!

Reactions: 20

storynerd

Chatty Member
I think so 😂 very cryptic…

No idea what the orange thing on the left is meant to be? Hinting at a chestnut maybe? Although kind of looks like a baked bean 😂Then also no clue about that grey machine…? Something to get to badminton on for the shuttlecocks, and smart…like Einstein???

Anyone out there a better detective than me and able to figure it out? 😂😂😂
Ah yes that famous horse: cashew pencil sharpener Einstein

• Haha
Reactions: 20

tallgirl17

Meg’s an equestrian influencer? This thread is for equestrian influencers? It’s what this thread is for!

I don’t follow Charlotte/Vossi or Frankie’s mum but just scroll past those posts?!

Reactions: 19

Bridisi

Yeah, must admit to being surprised at just how average a rider she is and how every single horse she tried immediately went dull and behind the leg when she was on board. How do you get to compete like she has and still be so lacking in the basics? Is it from just riding the same ponies over and over?
No they didn't. Honestly, the desperation to criticise Meg's riding is a bit embarrassing. She may not fit everyone's idea of a good rider but she clearly gets good work out of the ones she has. She may have been nervous riding horses she didn't know, which deserves understanding not criticism (particularly unwarranted criticism - not all the horses 'went dull and behind the leg')

Reactions: 19

Easypeeler

Any vet will tell you that this is not necessarily the case. I have seen it go spectacularly badly wrong. It also makes for genetic alphabet soup. I hate all that aimless multiplying of equines for no reason other than the fact the mares have a uterus.

A hand or so doesn't make a difference but that wasn't the case.
I've worked at NEH and alongside one of the most respected youngstock assessment vets in the country, he seemed fine with native and sportshorse crosses. They have their place.

I've said it before and I'll stick to it, we need more breeders of horses that's aren't bred to jump 1.40 or complete a GP, because 85% of equestrians can't or don't want to ride something that phenomenally athletic or reactive.

Reactions: 18

Easypeeler

Wimpy wins a 70cm hunter trial and we get to read millions of ridiculous posts about it. On a horse she took off the loaner claiming she needed a quieter life and less jumping. Teeth sucking nobhead.

• Haha
Reactions: 17

_Willfully_

I feel so sorry for Louie and think Tina has actually really let the owner down there.
I don't think so. Circumstances change, and hers have changed with the family member being so ill. It isn't something she could have foreseen when she took him on. Ultimately her priorities have to be her family and her own horses, in that order.

Elliania

Anyone take the hit for the team and tell me what Meg’s pouty news is about?
Still watching but Ari isn't able to be ridden at all.
---
So basically Ari has problems with some of the vertebrae in his neck which are enlarged & are causing pain/issues to the nerves. So he can be absolutely fine one minute but then when he moves his neck one of the vertebrae will touch a nerve and cause him a lot of pain. Meg said he did it in the stable; she tacked him up as normal but suddenly absolutely exploded when she turned him slightly.
The vet said that this isn't something that can be fixed with medication or surgery because it is eventually going to degenerate and get worse. This condition is also affecting the signals to his front feet so he hasn't got the best spatial awareness in front so essentially he's going to start having balance problems as well.
So he's potentially dangerous to be ridden & there's always the chance that he could have an eruption due to pain and cause an accident. So they've decided that they don't want to put Ari in the position where a) he's in pain and b) he could explode & really cause harm to himself and/or Meg.
They're going to keep him as a companion for now but the sad fact is that he's potentially going to get worse. So eventually he may well have to be PTS if he starts showing pain in his day to day life.

Last edited:
  • Sad

saywhathorsegirl

So many assumptions as to how much Meg makes, how much time she spends on her job, what she has in her/her parents’ bank account, what her budget is, what price range she’s looking in, how much she wants to pay, how much her parents provide financial support….

tingus

Why does Meg keep saying “out of” when she is referring to the sires of these horses she’s viewing. The countries I’ve owned horses in, it’s “by” the sire and “out of” the mare. Is it different in the uk or is she saying the wrong thing? It’s really annoying me haha
it's not different in the uk she's just daft :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 16

ReaRea

Chatty Member
I hope Lucy isn’t moving too fast if this is a rebound relationship. A lot of “we” talk on her latest and will now be reliant on his vehicle to tow.
I get where you’re coming from but Lucy comes across as someone with her head screwed on. The new guy has been poking around in the background for months. So I don’t see anything about it that says ‘moving too fast’. She broke up with Felix like 8/9 months ago. The ‘we’ talk just tells me she’s happy tbh and you’re reading too much into it.

Reactions: 16

Bridisi

I think it's totally weird to follow an equestrian influencer tattle and not want people to discuss Meg. People are so unbelievably jealous of her. Personally I've really enjoyed the horse shopping and me and my two young daughters are really looking forward to seeing her new horse. We've met her in RL, she was lovely, friendly (and has the most amazing skin). Fair enough if she ends up doing something dickish then comment on it. I don't follow RTG but don't demand people start their own thread about her.
---
If you want to discuss different people then start the discussion
Omg this!

Reactions: 15