Equestrian Influencers #10 Be relatable, but not TOO relatable.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't think it's a weight issue, she's definitely not too heavy for Bear but she is too big, if you know what I mean. Especially to event. Fine if you are going to hack or do dressage, but to event, it's asking a bit too much.
Have you thought the same about WFP? What does too big but not too heavy mean, as I don't know what you mean?

This forum should not allow casual size judgements on fit, healthy, active people.
18 stone lumps on 15hh cobs are welfare issues and causes for concern that need addressing not native ponies carrying a slim adult.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Not everyone wants to compete at a higher level, or ride horses. I don't understand why people have an issue with that? So what if she has the money, not everyone has ambitions or confidence to go higher. I am perfectly content at competing my native at a relatively low level, which I have been for 20 years. I've no desire to go higher.

Reactions: 17
In all seriousness, how can you think Meg is too big for native ponies? Working off the 15% margin (if a pony weighs about 500kg, which is Google's guess, she can be up to 11st 9 and be within 15%) I bet she is still ok, She's barely going to be over ten stone and the Voltaire saddles are very lightweight.
Besides that she's fit healthy and an effective rider, she's not going to be flumping around all over their backs.
And before you come at me I'm not a mega fan or anything, but I am someone who thinks that's there's no need for bitching about adults on ponies.
I don’t think Meg is too big for her ponies but there is no way bear is 500kg.

I wish more people would value ponies! So many people think because they are 5ft 7 they need 16hh minimum.

Reactions: 8
Meg can be whatever weight she wants, nobody is judging her on her new size. But she’s clearly too big for those ponies now, I don’t see how anyone could argue differently, but then loads of people on Instagram I see seem to keep their horse a bit fat so they can claim the % rule 🙄

The not competing beyond 100 thing I think she’s scared she’ll fail so stays where she knows she can be successful. Not something I’d do but plenty of people do it

Reactions: 1
5ft8 on my 14.3 native over here 👋

I would never trade for a bigger horse.
It’s not the riding, but I prefer to deal with a pony from the ground. Everything is just easier and mostly more economical 😅

Reactions: 15
5ft8 on my 14.3 native over here 👋

I would never trade for a bigger horse.
It’s not the riding, but I prefer to deal with a pony from the ground. Everything is just easier and mostly more economical 😅
Exactly. Mine is 13hh and just so cheap and easy to keep. Plus we often beat horses out competing anyway.

Reactions: 5
It wasn’t anything to do with Megs weight at all, but her being too tall on a 14hh pony…… you have to admit she looks too big for Bear and Dora! Bear is absolutely no way 500kgs! I own a 16.1hh WBxTB and he is 509kgs exact.
There is no criticism in weight on this post!
Meg isn’t confident enough to go beyond 100 and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: 4
I went and had a nosey at Megs stories 🤣 She’s such a child isn’t she! Jam knows when she has her jumping saddle on 🤦🏼‍♀️
I wonder if the trouble she is having with Dee is something to do with her arthritis in her hocks? I actually can’t believe she’s still competing her to a level that requires hard fitness and endurance to be honest!
Especially if it’s been going on for a little while. My horse was a bit of a dick on Wednesday and just wanted to run, BUT she had had a day off and another one a couple of days before so just had excess energy. She is also can be a bit of a dick if she goes in the school for a third day in a row. If she was doing it every schooling session for a few weeks I would take it more seriously. I’ve never seen Vossi go that nicely always like he is being held back and restricted. I’ve also not really seen Pepper go that nicely she always seems lazy and not using her hind end and also lame at times. And as much as Jess has a meltdown about her riding Jim has never looked terrible just green we just won’t mention Sid as well I expect he was the opposite just never shown being lame as he was buted up. Esme is another neither of her horses ever look terrible. Yes her riding has not been the best at times, but who’s isnt after a confidence knock. And credit where credit is due she has knuckled down in lessons and has improved so much. Possibly due to a new instructor. Laura Collet also desveres a mention, to many London 52 is naughty and in pain but anyone that has followed her for a while just knows he is fresh and loges his jumping. There’s many others out there riding lame horses that say the horse is just naughty and many others that have sound horses and investigate when a horse is being naughty and the horse isn’t normally naughty.

In all seriousness, how can you think Meg is too big for native ponies? Working off the 15% margin (if a pony weighs about 500kg, which is Google's guess, she can be up to 11st 9 and be within 15%) I bet she is still ok, She's barely going to be over ten stone and the Voltaire saddles are very lightweight.
Besides that she's fit healthy and an effective rider, she's not going to be flumping around all over their backs.
And before you come at me I'm not a mega fan or anything, but I am someone who thinks that's there's no need for bitching about adults on ponies.
I have issues with the 15% when people think that’s what we should be working too. That’s the limit , the maximum. Agreed that if she was just hacking these ponies but she is Eventing them. She is far too big and looks awkward and far too big .

Especially if it’s been going on for a little while. My horse was a bit of a dick on Wednesday and just wanted to run, BUT she had had a day off and another one a couple of days before so just had excess energy. She is also can be a bit of a dick if she goes in the school for a third day in a row. If she was doing it every schooling session for a few weeks I would take it more seriously. I’ve never seen Vossi go that nicely always like he is being held back and restricted. I’ve also not really seen Pepper go that nicely she always seems lazy and not using her hind end and also lame at times. And as much as Jess has a meltdown about her riding Jim has never looked terrible just green we just won’t mention Sid as well I expect he was the opposite just never shown being lame as he was buted up. Esme is another neither of her horses ever look terrible. Yes her riding has not been the best at times, but who’s isnt after a confidence knock. And credit where credit is due she has knuckled down in lessons and has improved so much. Possibly due to a new instructor. Laura Collet also desveres a mention, to many London 52 is naughty and in pain but anyone that has followed her for a while just knows he is fresh and loges his jumping. There’s many others out there riding lame horses that say the horse is just naughty and many others that have sound horses and investigate when a horse is being naughty and the horse isn’t normally naughty.
This is an interesting one as just because she is a top rider we of course agree with her that the horse is not in pain but with a lower level rider we go straight to pain. Why is that?
there is a horse and hound podcast where a vet clearly states 99.9999 % of bucking is pain related. So what makes London 52 any different?

Reactions: 3
It wasn’t anything to do with Megs weight at all, but her being too tall on a 14hh pony…… you have to admit she looks too big for Bear and Dora! Bear is absolutely no way 500kgs! I own a 16.1hh WBxTB and he is 509kgs exact.
There is no criticism in weight on this post!
Meg isn’t confident enough to go beyond 100 and there’s nothing wrong with that.
The only way Bear would be 500kgs is if she is overweight. My 15hh connie cross ID weighs between 450-500kgs on a weight tape and she is quite chunky more chunky that Bear I would say. Not sure how much she actually weighs though as never need on a weigh bridge but she currently looks good on condition score chart so not worried about her weight at all.

Reactions: 2
I have issues with the 15% when people think that’s what we should be working too. That’s the limit , the maximum. Agreed that if she was just hacking these ponies but she is Eventing them. She is far too big and looks awkward and far too big .

This is an interesting one as just because she is a top rider we of course agree with her that the horse is not in pain but with a lower level rider we go straight to pain. Why is that?
there is a horse and hound podcast where a vet clearly states 99.9999 % of bucking is pain related. So what makes London 52 any different?
Horses don’t just behave badly for no reason. Yes some may have a little play after they jump, but horses that rear or buck are generally trying to express as they have no other way, this is where people need to be more educated on horsemanship and understanding how the horse works! Why is the horse girthy? Why do they play up in the school? Why are they stopping at fences? Look at Tina for example with Banks, she knows exactly when there is something not right with him, even if it’s a stop at a fence she knows it’s not a thing he normally does. Then there’s Cerys with Bryan that will whip the tit out of him when he’s clearly trying to tell her something!
Then Meg is trying to put high fitness and training into Dee when she has arthritis in her hocks, being a degenerative disease, why would she continue to do hard work with her for a huge run at Badminton???

Reactions: 8
This is it. Once you understand behaviours it become apparent that a lot more horses are in pain than not and many are labelled ‘naughty’ instead of any sort of investigation or changes being attempted. It breaks my heart to see.
Yes and unfortunately they often get sold on and passed around until someone vets, rehabs and then retires the poor sods. Or, gets seriously hurt in the process. Plenty of instructors will tell you to ride through this that and the other too, it's really sad

Reactions: 2
Yes and unfortunately they often get sold on and passed around until someone vets, rehabs and then retires the poor sods. Or, gets seriously hurt in the process. Plenty of instructors will tell you to ride through this that and the other too, it's really sad
Yes, my lovely friend/yard owner/instructor is a massive advocate about this and she gets so disheartened by what she sees but we always tell her she is changing the world one horse at a time.

• Heart
Yes, my lovely friend/yard owner/instructor is a massive advocate about this and she gets so disheartened by what she sees but we always tell her she is changing the world one horse at a time.
A good use for Tattle too then. We were talking in the last thread about why watch and comment on things you don't like? Talking about it helps to change attitudes or at least put different views and evidence out there. ......(yes I know it's mostly for those enjoying a bitchfest 😆)

Reactions: 5
I don't think it's a weight issue, she's definitely not too heavy for Bear but she is too big, if you know what I mean. Especially to event. Fine if you are going to hack or do dressage, but to event, it's asking a bit too much.
I do believe she said she would be bringing Bear back to do dressage rather than to event her. She might have gone back on that since I heard it.

I do believe she said she would be bringing Bear back to do dressage rather than to event her. She might have gone back on that since I heard it.
Meg will definitely get back to jumping Bear! I can’t not see her doing it. However why did she decide to breed from her in the first place? As she was looking to sell her back then and then decided she couldn’t, but also mentioned she didn’t want to event her because it was all too much for Bear to handle. And now she will be working her again (possibly unless they put her back in foal), there’s no reason why she can’t go back into work I guess. They must have stopped riding her for some reason? 🤷🏼‍♀️

All this talk about Dee's arthritis is jarring me. Arthritis isn't necessarily a painful disease. Most horses (and humans) develop arthritis in early middle age. The best way to manage arthritis is to exercise and keep the muscles strong. Arthritis isn't necessarily a progressive disease. There is so much misinformation in the horse world re arthritis. If Dee is happy and sound she should 100% be kept in work.

Reactions: 24
All this talk about Dee's arthritis is jarring me. Arthritis isn't necessarily a painful disease. Most horses (and humans) develop arthritis in early middle age. The best way to manage arthritis is to exercise and keep the muscles strong. Arthritis isn't necessarily a progressive disease. There is so much misinformation in the horse world re arthritis. If Dee is happy and sound she should 100% be kept in work.
It’s a degenerative disease, no cure and will gradually get worse. Of course yes of the horse is sound etc. Yes definitely to keeping them working to stop the stiffness, but to work on them in high intensity with jumping at some speed I would question. That mare would be in hard work up until she takes it to Badminton, not sure that’s fair really. Think how much strain is put on the hocks when taking off jumping, and her choppy short strided canter she has. However she was having behaviour issues with her which made me question it, but I guess they know that mare better than anyone.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Have you thought the same about WFP? What does too big but not too heavy mean, as I don't know what you mean?

This forum should not allow casual size judgements on fit, healthy, active people.
18 stone lumps on 15hh cobs are welfare issues and causes for concern that need addressing not native ponies carrying a slim adult.
Too big as in too tall i guess?

Any guesses what product/brand Tina is talking about in her stories?

I thought maybe Equitex but not sure if they were around back in 2019

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.