Eoghan McDermott - Irish radio stars face social media allegations.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He was supposedly randomly attacked a few years ago in Dublin on St Stephens night. Lost his taste and smell and it never recovered. He has spoken about it a lot and made a documentary about it too
Thanks 😊, a documentary and all don’t know how I missed that. Did the person ever get caught who attacked him?

Had Eoghan been missing off the show before the Reddit thread or was it after ? The fact RTE is so silent speaks volumes, removing his name etc and no mention of him, surely if he was sick or something they would say we wish him well and wouldn’t remove him outright , they’d leave the door open for him to come back so it has to be connected to the thread really ?!

Reactions: 8
I think she’s really brave to do what she has done, and just by reading what she said on Reddit I really do feel her story is true. I was physically attacked and raped by my boyfriend many years ago and I never pursued it with the police/law. I regret that so much. I was terrified I wouldn’t be believed and the fact that he was my boyfriend ... that that somehow blurred the lines and that I was at fault in some way. It wasn’t just a random attack on the street... and I know that really knocked my confidence in how I would come across if I reported it. I feel like her story is similar in that respect, in that they had some form of a relationship. It was only years later that I felt brave enough to speak out about it and was told there is a six year limit in reporting such things. This is another country though where it happened and where I live now. But maybe now that she feels strong enough to speak out about it but is limited in what she can do at this stage... Either way I hope she gets whatever resolution she/they are looking for.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
Not about Eoghan McDermott but years ago when I was a teenager I text in to a radio show. I’m pretty sure I said the DJ in question was cute or similar. He ended up texting me off his own phone later that day and sending in appropriate messages. At the time I thought it was great getting attention from this radio DJ and didn’t see the problem. ( I was about 15 at the time). The texts got too much even for stupid teenage me and i stopped replying. That Radio DJ is still on air today and I keep checking to see if anyone has said anything about him. I won’t name him as I don’t have proof. I’m just wondering now is this common in Radio DJ culture.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 26
Had Eoghan been missing off the show before the Reddit thread or was it after ? The fact RTE is so silent speaks volumes, removing his name etc and no mention of him, surely if he was sick or something they would say we wish him well and wouldn’t remove him outright , they’d leave the door open for him to come back so it has to be connected to the thread really ?!
Yes to this the silence from them all really does speak volumes

Reactions: 2
Thanks 😊, a documentary and all don’t know how I missed that. Did the person ever get caught who attacked him?
Don't think they were

Not about Eoghan McDermott but years ago when I was a teenager I text in to a radio show. I’m pretty sure I said the DJ in question was cute or similar. He ended up texting me off his own phone later that day and sending in appropriate messages. At the time I thought it was great getting attention from this radio DJ and didn’t see the problem. ( I was about 15 at the time). The texts got too much even for stupid teenage me and i stopped replying. That Radio DJ is still on air today and I keep checking to see if anyone has said anything about him. I won’t name him as I don’t have proof. I’m just wondering now is this common in Radio DJ culture.
Wow that's unreal! Must be common enough then, especially with social media now etc
I am so naive 😳😳

Reactions: 3
Yes partner is a doctor. The claims I read are from 10 years ago. He was 28 and the girl was 16 😳

He was so into feminism etc. If the claims are true, do you think he forgot what had happened /didn't realise it was abuse/ didn't think it would ever come out?

His sister Roe Mc Derrmott is a massive feminist too.
Bet Doireann is secretly delighted 😳
I'm jumping on this because he had a really sexist piece on his show a few years ago with like Bressie's ex or something, taking the p*ss out of her. I tweeted about how it wasn't funny anyway and she should have been allowed move on with her life - I didn't mention him or anything, it was just an annoyed tweet. I was in college at the time so I put my phone away for class and came back afterwards - like two hours later or something, to him all in my twitter notifications about how she was in on the joke (she clearly wasn't, you could see from the video) and how sad my life must be if that was bothering me. Class A prick. He clearly is one of the "but I'm a nice guy" type

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 33
10 years ago was he not living in London? Pretty sure he was. Him and the Irish mtv / love island girl were house mates.

I’d like to see 2FM steal Dave Duke from iRadio or maybe get Marty Guilfoyle into the mix.

Reactions: 4
10 years ago was he not living in London? Pretty sure he was. Him and the Irish mtv / love island girl were house mates.

I’d like to see 2FM steal Dave Duke from iRadio or maybe get Marty Guilfoyle into the mix.
He was in London in 2008 and started in Spin here in 2009. By the looks of his wiki, he was over and back between Ireland and the UK a good bit between 2009 and 2012, working in both places but not really settled in either of them

Reactions: 5
It was mentioned up above but I do also feel sorry for his sister Roe - can't even imagine how confronting this would be for her after what she's been through herself. I think it's unfair for people to target any hate at her - no-one is responsible for the actions of their family members.

Reactions: 26

I worked in Irish media for a while. The onscreen personalities are usually self obsessed assholes who genuinely believe they are gods gift. There are notable exceptions but the level of entitlement and illusions of grandeur that some of them possess is incredible. Also the amount of nepotism is just unbelievable. Everyone working backstage in RTE or producing is the friend or relative of someone. It's the reason so many decent personalities end up in the UK or US. Serious glass ceiling.

Reactions: 25
It's very cryptic, but I wonder if what he's saying is that everyone at 2FM was taken in by him, 'groomed' as such? Not sure if Keith still officially works at 2FM, he used to do a weekend show but not sure he still does.

Reactions: 16
What does that even mean? Stay focused on the issue? Is he defending RTE?
I think hes trying to say they were all shocked at the allegations and dont deserve any abuse/are not complicit in such behaviours

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.