Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Blueblue123

VIP Member
🚨🚨Trigger warning for some people in this thread: Facts ahead, I know some of you are sensitive to facts.🚨🚨

From 1997 to 2010 when Labour was in power there were 609,601 applications for asylum made to the UK

From 2010 to 2022 when Tories have been in power, there have been 401,134 applications.

200,000 more applications, a much smaller backlog. Unless 200,000 people apply for asylum this year which is unlikely no matter how much the government would love it to fit their agenda, the Tories are failing majorly.

I included 2010's 17,916 for both parties because they would have shared the responsibility while power was being handed over.

You're all free to check the figures but it's clear some of you don't like facts, just agendas and self-admitted far right propaganda.

222222.jpg

Last edited:

monga

VIP Member
You’ve said this so many times but how do you propose that is done? Is there a point at which not enough is heard?
Well it won’t be addressed here as we’ve got no government to address anything, having paramilitary involvement has put a whole new spin on this, you do realise our police service turn a blind eye to loyalist paramilitaries, if people are killed ( god forbid ) nothing will come of it.

Merpedy

VIP Member
Human rights lawyers are being ‘monitored’ by government, minister admits | openDemocracy

Jenrick was responding to a question from Liberal Democrat MP Alistair Carmichael, who had challenged him to provide evidence for his claim that lawyers were abusing the law.
The minister did not do so, but said: “We are monitoring the activities, as it so happens, of a small number of legal practitioners, but it is not appropriate for me to discuss that here.”
Also mentions that they are monitoring the far-right groups but that's hardly a surprise as they possibly fall under anti-terrorism

Blueblue123

VIP Member

Polythene Pam

Chatty Member
The government has already started a campaign to 'encourage' older 'economically inactive' people to go back to work. It is also tightening benefit rules to force claimants to work more hours.
If my retired mother goes back to work, I'll have to reduce my hours because we can't afford childcare. It's so stupid.

monga

VIP Member
Funnily enough I deleted my original post because on reflection I thought it was too judgemental. I don't think one gets to be "in touch with society" by trawling through Twitter.
Do you want me to bring this country over to you, how else can examples be shown 🥴

Happy Lady

VIP Member
Am I being silly or is this idea too simple to introduce? After establishing that migrants are who they say they are, come from whichever country, and determining whether they intend sending for family members. Wouldn't it be sensible to ask whether they are medically qualified, or have experience; whether they could work in care, or wish to work on farms, or wherever we need to fill vacancies?

I'm thinking that the genuine arrivals will want to work, so being a carer would help enormously. Only issue would be translation, which could be overcome with time, patience and learning.

When I worked, we took on staff from India, (and elsewhere) who had gained working visas. One rule we had to follow was to report any unauthorised absences from work, and that included illnesses. By including this rule with all migrants (I don't know if it's still required) then their whereabouts are always known.

Blueblue123

VIP Member
So we keep it hidden and suffer the consequences ?
It’s daily news headlines that’s the shocking bit.
Of course not, but it's important to have balance. Not one narrative. And something being in the headlines daily doesn't necessarily mean it's more true or important than other facts. Anything which makes people have a negative emotion sells papers, gets clicks and coincidentally wins elections.

Blueblue123

VIP Member
There’s a lot not happy …wondering where they’re going to source accommodation and one to one care.
In this story they have accommodation... In London. But for some reason the Home Office wants to move them to hotels where there have been protests.

They have every reason not to be happy about that.

They moved some asylum seekers from this same hotel last month, the move even interrupted one guy's college studies. He was trying to better himself then got uprooted.

Moth

VIP Member
It all boils down to the cost doesn’t it? I see you can’t answer that question or as usual choose to ignore 🙄
I'd try to answer your question if I could understand it.

My comment was about you continually going on about people claiming asylum and 'disappearing' without any understanding of the extent to which it happens. I said ...

You can't. You don't know if one person or one million people have claimed asylum and then 'disappeared' but it doesn't stop you inferring it is a major problem based on nothing at all. You can actually arrive at an estimate of the numbers. I explained it to you before but it wasn't very large so you ignored it.
Your "question" in response to that was ...

Even the 1700 criminals deported last year still cost the tax payer a fortune as do the failed asylum seekers waiting on deportation and numerous court cases…Have you counted those???
So I was talking about estimating the number people that claim asylum and then 'disappear. Are you asking if I'd included the "1700 criminals deported last year", the "failed asylum seekers" and "numerous court cases" in that estimate? That would be nonsensical.

If you're talking about costs that's another matter but I don't see what it has to do with the number of people who claim asylum and then 'disappear'.

monga

VIP Member
I’m not about to go on a Google spree but I suspect there are some vital differences between temporary accommodation and asylum seekers who have very little/no opportunity to move until their asylum claim is processed

As I would understand, there is a further difference in the fact that people are generally expected to pay towards temporary accommodation

Ultimately I understand why you’re making the comparison but it’s clearly being done for the purpose of missing the point that the government is wasting massive amounts of money for accommodation/contracts that very clearly could cost less. I’ve heard whisperings of how hotels provide substandard accommodation because it means bigger profits for them too
I’m not surprised by that saying it was me posted it earlier in the the thread …On Monday I believe

Attachments

Blueblue123

VIP Member
Is it only UK that documents its citizens? I’m sure a lot of Ukrainians left with only the clothes on their back and were able to prove who they were after being taken to a safe country, including UK.
Wasn’t it 80% of single men made up the illegal migration stats last year ? so very few woman and children.
You want more women and children to put themselves at this risk?

😐

Moth

VIP Member
You keep typing out the same Guardian articles, I just save myself time by posting the actual article instead of copying someone else’s 😂 I do know the difference in asylum seekers, migrants, and especially freeloaders..thank you very much 😅
In which case I'm sure you'll have plenty of examples of the articles from The Guardian that I have plagiarised. No need to go mad. Just one from say the last month will do.

monga

VIP Member
Perfect example of how the common travel area can be used for all sorts of negativity, people on the mainland won’t be aware of how dangerous having loyalist links to far right groups will impact communities here (and by the look of things further afield) all parties free to travel (unhindered )the length of the island and beyond, peoples concerns need to be heard before these groups gain traction.

Merpedy

VIP Member
ireland will be used as a back door for illegals
The Government should be aware of this and react appropriately. Though a lot of your argument early on seemed to be based on EU migrants rather than asylum seekers. Though most of the articles you shared on criminal behaviour today were connected to EU migrants
I've pointed it out a few times but the lack of data the Government has on those arriving by air is really concerning

more and more news stories of crimes committed are coming to light
Doesn't mean that every one of them is a criminal. Is it not possible that the Government is encouraging media to report on these issues to drive up support for their unworkable policies?
I would also say that it may point to there being problems locally (which again, not helped when the Government uses inflammatory language) and within the hotels themselves

I don’t support an open door policy for unknowns entering the country
I think there was only one person who has ever suggested they find borders to be arbitrary here. Though the way I'm reading this is that you don't support having an asylum system in general because a lot of the people don't have documents

Do you support people who do have documents entering?