English Channel migrant crossing crisis #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It sounds like they did, hence the active investigation - hence why we are using “suspect” and not confirmed too

The problem for the EU when it comes to controlling this is free movement. It’s why they have the Dublin Regs but those haven’t been working too well

As for arrest, there’s probably some legal things going on. You also have to consider that the country these people were in were also risking their own security to have them walking around
So why on earth should we risk our own 😂 there needs to be changes to the legislation that prevents us from deporting them back to their own country whether it’s safe for them or not,who in their right mind would want to put a terrorist up in a hotel, we must be the laughing stock of the world it’s no wonder these people make their way here .

Reactions: 2
The European Convention of Human Rights says that governments must not deport people to countries where they may face torture . That means that there are 45 other countries besides the UK that are bound by that provision. The same restriction can be drawn from the Article 3 of the United Nations Convention Against Torture which covers 173 states.

The likelihood of other countries laughing (or worse) at the UK will only occur if some people get their wish and we withdraw from international conventions.

Reactions: 1
Not really a surprise given that the interim measures were based on the judicial review being completed, but may be worth mentioning

Funnily enough, there was an article about European judges 'backing down' on the interim measures 3 weeks ago with government sources being cited but this appears to be standard procedure for the Court. Possibility of flights in summer seem to remain unknown but I'm not certain why that was a conversation to begin with when there were reports that the plans had been delayed until next year

Why wouldn’t they be laughing when they usher these people to the UK instead of intercepting known terrorists, seems they didn’t even let the authorities know they were coming it was only by chance they were caught, how many of the other 45 countries put them up in hotels with a weekly allowance ??

it was only by chance they were caught
They applied for asylum when they arrived, no? If so, the standard procedure, which all asylum claimants go through in the UK, is to take finger prints. It’s not exactly down to chance then

They applied for asylum when they arrived, no? If so, the standard procedure, which all asylum claimants go through in the UK, is to take finger prints. It’s not exactly down to chance then
What if they just went to ground after coming off a dinghy that the French authorities don’t seem to be able to stop , so yeah it’s just by chance.

Will this make for even tougher rules being brought in 🤔
https://news.sky.com/story/more-tha...l-in-a-week-highest-so-far-this-year-12855354More than 1,100 migrants cross Channel in a week - highest so far this year
---
State of emergency in Italy will give them more powers to remove people.

Last edited:
Tempting though it must be to exaggerate the situation for effect, the 'nearly 20' people said to have been identified by UK Security Services are not 'known terrorists'. If they were then the UK has plenty of legislation on the statute books which would mean that they were not housed in hotels pending coinsideration of their asylum claims. Even the Daily Mail only describes them rather and possibly intentionally as 'suspects'.That covers a lot of possibilities.

Someone more cynical than me might be surprised that such details of national security have been leaked to the Daily Mail and note that the Daily Mail has a less than below average reputation for veracity. It might also be noted that these allegations emerged only a day or so after it was announced that The Home Office had been forced to concede that they have absolutely no evidence to suggest that the majority of asylum seekers are economic migrants, something else that we had been assured by successive Home Secretaries and right wing newspapers to be the case.

Probably also worth mentioning (or perhaps not) that while they were busy 'ushering' people across The Channel, French authorities prevented 55% of the attempted small boat crossings in 2022.

I also don't understand why people who enter the UK across The Channel and evade the authorities are continually conflated with those that don't. The blanket denial of all asylum claims and potential removal of would-be asylum seekers to Rwanda or elsewhere will do nothing to stop people who want to enter the UK and 'disappear'.

Another headline within that story …Laughing stock of the world ! Just wait till they have enough terrorist cells gathered up , then we’ll know how many have made it across…I see the new promo pic from Westminster have been released 🤡🤡🤡🤡
IMG_3253.jpeg

• Sad
Judge Nicholas Aldridge, sitting at a Tribunal Hearing Centre, said nothing could be published that could 'directly or indirectly' identify the criminal, including his previous crimes.
Daily Mail and co in the same story: murder, got released and fled to Britain. Has other offences

I’m a bit confused how this is allowed if he’s at a risk of being targeted by other gangsters here. I don’t doubt that they’d read this and think “ah it reminds me of my not so good friend John”

I think the UK probably is already a bit of a 'laughing stock' but not for the reasons that some people think.
---
It might also be worthwhile thinking about why an increasing number of Indian citizens are seeking asylum across the world and why the Indian government is apparently using this as a lever in negotiations with the UK.
---
It might also be worthwhile thinking about why an increasing number of Indian citizens are seeking asylum across the world and why the Indian government is apparently using this as a lever in negotiations with the UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Back to CT I see, knew going down all those CT rabbit holes was bound to rub off 😂, bad for your health so I’m told 😅

Stressing that he thought the illegal migration bill was compliant with international law, the prime minister said there “may well be” another adverse legal judgment from judges presiding over the European convention on human rights.

“We’re taking an approach that is novel that is untested, that’s ambitious. I don’t make any apologies for that,” he said.
The Home Secretary said, "our approach is robust and novel, which is why we cannot make a definitive statement of compatibility under section 19(1)(a) of the Human Rights Act 1998" - meaning she cannot make a statement that the law is compatible with the human rights in the European Convention on Human Rights and the Human Rights Act. She has instead made a Section 19(1)(b) statement that says while she can't say the law is compatible with human rights, she wants to proceed with it anyway

...make it make sense

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.