Emma Tustin and Thomas Hughes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As a side point, the news said that ET has never worked. Now, I know many people on UC struggle financially and have to rely on foodbanks. Yet ET had a house and tattoos and toys for her kids. How can some people on benefits live like this and others really struggle financially?
Yep I don't understand this at all. I am currently on benefits with children and I don't have a penny to spare for anything that isn't rent bills or food. They must be fiddling the system in a way I don't know about.

Reactions: 10
As a side point, the news said that ET has never worked. Now, I know many people on UC struggle financially and have to rely on foodbanks. Yet ET had a house and tattoos and toys for her kids. How can some people on benefits live like this and others really struggle financially?
Outgoings make a difference, phone/internet/TV contracts, people have different priorities. some on UC may have been working with high outgoings and lost a job so it will be much harder to survive on UC and meet existing bills (many of which are contracts tied in). Some single parents get child maintenance which is not means tested and some will have disability payments for either themselves or child. My son is severely disabled which is why I can’t work (I want to but outside of school, childcare for disabled children is virtually non existent). People may also get money off family members, you can have capital up to £6k without any reduction in benefits and then it tapers and UC will stop at £16k capital. There are so many different financial circumstances even when UC is involved. All legal but would explain why it can vary so much.

I wouldnt be surprised if ET was on disability benefits after what we know of her suicide attempt. They aren’t means tested but it does mean you might not be expected to find work.

Reactions: 13
This is why I am so thankful for free school meals. It means that meal is solely for the student and no one can touch it.

Not all those on benefits are like this, when I was a single mum and met alot of other single mums, many were the same boat as me. Unfortunately you got the ET type mums who give the rest of them a bad name. But it's almost becoming acceptable and I feel that the ET culture is growing even more so. It's worrying.

I think I am angry is because being sympathetic to those with drug and drink addictions almost Gives them a hall pass and time and time again, there is too much understanding at the expense of the child. The child doesn't have to be physically abused to be damaged. While I agree that the mums ex was violent but so was she. She was prone to aggression as well. There seems to be no fear that they may loose their child if they carry on a violent relationship or if they carry on drinking etc. There needs to be a fear in order to WAKE up.

Yep I don't understand this at all. I am currently on benefits with children and I don't have a penny to spare for anything that isn't rent bills or food. They must be fiddling the system in a way I don't know about.
Most likely didn't state that TH was living there as he was a working parent

Reactions: 7
Credit. When I was flat broke it amazed me how much credit I was offered. I also used to work for a catalogue company, people would have thousands of pounds of debt and pay £5 a month not even clearing the interest.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
And actually you never know how much debt someone has even if spending wildly. This so true benefits or not. ET could have a ton of debt but not sure we would hear about it.

Reactions: 9
Credit. When I was flat broke it amazed me how much credit I was offered. I also used to work for a catalogue company, people would have thousands of pounds of debt and pay £5 a month not even clearing the interest.
Yep I stand by this, very, littlewood, credit cards. These companies suck those with little money in

• Sad
Reactions: 6
As a side note I saw an article in the DM about Arthur and asking how many more children would be in his situation with lockdown etc. I hope this has been an eye opener for the people that had no concern for anything during lockdown except themselves. There were SO many teachers and health professionals etc at the start of lockdown saying that abuse would sky rocket. I saw that Arthur's uncle was warned by the police about breaking lockdown rules if he tried to intervene. Absolutely ridiculous, poor Arthur is just one of many vulnerable children and adults paying the price.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Not all those on benefits are like this, when I was a single mum and met alot of other single mums, many were the same boat as me. Unfortunately you got the ET type mums who give the rest of them a bad name. But it's almost becoming acceptable and I feel that the ET culture is growing even more so. It's worrying.
i am definitely not judging anyone on benefits :)

And actually you never know how much debt someone has even if spending wildly. This so true benefits or not. ET could have a ton of debt but not sure we would hear about it.
That’s very true. Also it’s possible she never told DWP that TH had moved in.

i know that’s not the point of this thread; just curious.

Reactions: 3
I don't mind a lockdown but please keep the schools open. It can be a safe haven and not so easily to hide abuse

I think I am angry is because being sympathetic to those with drug and drink addictions almost Gives them a hall pass and time and time again, there is too much understanding at the expense of the child. The child doesn't have to be physically abused to be damaged. While I agree that the mums ex was violent but so was she. She was prone to aggression as well. There seems to be no fear that they may loose their child if they carry on a violent relationship or if they carry on drinking etc. There needs to be a fear in order to WAKE up.
i was older when my mum started drinking and being violent and I didn’t recognise it as abuse. I didn’t know what to do or who to tell.

Reactions: 4
This is why I am so thankful for free school meals. It means that meal is solely for the student and no one can touch it.

Most likely didn't state that TH was living there as he was a working parent
I think you are misunderstanding my point when they are talking about drug addiction. I am sorry for your own experiences of being let down. There is no 'hall pass' - I'm not saying you can do what you like because you are addicted to drugs. No one on is excusing the criminal actions of those on drink or drugs. Olivia is in prison - and should be - she killed a man. Children are often removed from drug addicted parent's care - and they should be, they are not capable of making the decisions needed to be responsible. But drink and drug addiction is complex and beneath the addiction can be a person that is often damaged themselves and could be helped. the more it is understood the better for society. They do deserve sympathy and judgement does not help the situation. 'Fear' won't make people 'wake up' - it causes people to turn to substance abuse which temporarily blocks the pain and fear.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Arthur was not born in to the violent relationship though was he? - that man killed wasn’t his father. From media reports before the relationship she seems to have been a decent mother. Your response is so ignorant I would say it is bordering on being vile! You obviously understand nothing about DV situations which predominantly include rape, not sex and complete coercive control over everything down to birth control. Same with drug addiction- this is not a situation where people are in sound mind and unfortunately some babies are born into these situations.
And to be fair even if she was somehow the worst mother in the world (which to be clear I do NOT think) that still doesn’t mean that it’s her fault that her baby went on to be killed as a result of the actions of the one other person in the world who whose job it is to keep him safe.

And whilst I’m on my high horse about this all (this whole mum-blaming thing has REALLY riled me, seen some bloody awful posts about Olivia on other platforms) what that boy needed after all the upheaval was to be smothered in love and cherished and made to feel safe by his father, not carted away from his family and into the home of a woman he barely knew. He needed stability and security.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
As a side note I saw an article in the DM about Arthur and asking how many more children would be in his situation with lockdown etc. I hope this has been an eye opener for the people that had no concern for anything during lockdown except themselves. There were SO many teachers and health professionals etc at the start of lockdown saying that abuse would sky rocket. I saw that Arthur's uncle was warned by the police about breaking lockdown rules if he tried to intervene. Absolutely ridiculous, poor Arthur is just one of many vulnerable children and adults paying the price.
One of the worst consequesnces of Lockdown and completely heartbreaking to contemplate.

Reactions: 11
I mentioned this in the Star Hobson thread.

The Covid Child Safeguarding Regulations brought out in March 2020 was a shocking read. No DBS checks were required for emergency foster placements.

I posted them on my FB page..alot of my friends are Professionals in various sectors.

Not one of them gave a tit..I was called selfish by one ex friend for even posting it.

She's probably spamming her FB now with newspaper articles about Arthur.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Wow! Just read in the Daily Mail that Julian Knight MP is going to refer ET & TH's sentences to the Attorney Generals's "unduly lenienet sentencing scheme"

God bless that man!

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Wow! Just read in the Daily Mail that Julian Knight MP is going to refer ET & TH's sentences to the Attorney Generals's "unduly lenienet sentencing scheme"

God bless that man!
What does that mean? That the sentences are being challenged for being too lenient? Will be interesting to see what happens from this. I did think ET should get a longer sentence.

Reactions: 5
I hope their sentences are extended. I would put her in the same category as Myra Hindley. What I find so surprising are 2 things:- 1. Why was there cctv inside the house and 2:- why did they not delete all the evidence from their phones?
May they rot in hell

Few stories have affected me like this one. It was so heartbreaking to actually hear his cries. I could only watch it once and had to turn off repeat bulletins.

My heart goes out to him. Poor little thing should have felt safe with his caregivers, yet it was the worst place for him. And shocking that it wasn't picked up the social workers who went around and said everything was OK.

May he rest in peace and may those monsters stay locked up for the rest of their days.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.