Emetophobia - any fellow sufferers? What do you do to cope?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't eat or sleep properly until I feel safe. The last time they were sick it was 3am and now I'm unable to sleep until 3.15 when I feel safe. I'm so happy that hypno is helping you xx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Yes I do x I suffer from ibs,allergies yes but anxiety and fear get me straight away -I don't eat till i feel safe-when that may be x in these times to make sure you keep your energy as it's needed more,to care for others,maybe a smoothie,or basic foods like bananas. I completely understand though.
I thought it might be just me! I never thought about it as not eating until I feel safe but that's exactly what it is. Thank you, that was a really helpful response x

this sounds amazing! I know this is weird but this internet stranger is so proud of you for doing this! It’s really Made me think I can do it too☺
And yes appetite goes, I don’t want to eat anything ‘contaminated’ so would also drink bottled water as the germs can’t get inside in my mind
Oh that made me smile! Thank you! I feel so good for doing it and I will continue with it too. So glad to know its not just me that goes into this sort of starvation mode! Although for me it's fear that putting something in me will trigger it coming back out so I just avoid.

I can't eat or sleep properly until I feel safe. The last time they were sick it was 3am and now I'm unable to sleep until 3.15 when I feel safe. I'm so happy that hypno is helping you xx
Isn't it incredible what fear does to the logical side of our brains. Thank you, I'm really pleased too! X

Reactions: 1
A few weeks ago someone at my babies playgroup said their older son was up being sick in the night. I immediately panicked as my baby and her younger one were sharing toys in the mouth etc!!! I started sweating and convinced myself that’s it the bug is going to be in my house how am I going to cope I’m on my own with the baby.

Fortunatly we were fine and her kids sickness could have been something non contagious but my brain went into overdrive. I was like a ticking bomb for 48 hours waiting for something to happen. Everytime I changed my babies nappy I made sure it wasn’t a loose stool ffs. I was mentally exhausted

• Heart
A few weeks ago someone at my babies playgroup said their older son was up being sick in the night. I immediately panicked as my baby and her younger one were sharing toys in the mouth etc!!! I started sweating and convinced myself that’s it the bug is going to be in my house how am I going to cope I’m on my own with the baby.

Fortunatly we were fine and her kids sickness could have been something non contagious but my brain went into overdrive. I was like a ticking bomb for 48 hours waiting for something to happen. Everytime I changed my babies nappy I made sure it wasn’t a loose stool ffs. I was mentally exhausted
I'm just the same, that's why I can't stand baby groups - even though I know I should go, I can't cope with the fact that they're full of potentially germy kids. I've never told anyone this but I always listen out when my daughter goes for a number 2 to make sure I can hear it - isn't that ridiculous. Honestly, this fear makes me so irrational.

I'm just the same, that's why I can't stand baby groups - even though I know I should go, I can't cope with the fact that they're full of potentially germy kids. I've never told anyone this but I always listen out when my daughter goes for a number 2 to make sure I can hear it - isn't that ridiculous. Honestly, this fear makes me so irrational.
I totally get the toilet thing!! When I was a youngster still living at home, if someone went to the loo in the middle of the night I used to panic and lay there waiting to see how long they were and if they were being unwell. It’s draining

• Heart
I totally get the toilet thing!! When I was a youngster still living at home, if someone went to the loo in the middle of the night I used to panic and lay there waiting to see how long they were and if they were being unwell. It’s draining
Oh my goodness, that is exactly what my life was like at home! And even now, if my husband gets up in the middle of the night for the loo I'm like what's wrong?? Are you OK??

Reactions: 2
Oh my goodness, that is exactly what my life was like at home! And even now, if my husband gets up in the middle of the night for the loo I'm like what's wrong?? Are you OK??
Yep I know exactly where you’re coming from.

im on my own with a baby and even if he wakes up in the night I start worrying he’s gonna be sick. It’s a baby ffs they do wake up in the night lol.

• Heart
Yep I know exactly where you’re coming from.

im on my own with a baby and even if he wakes up in the night I start worrying he’s gonna be sick. It’s a baby ffs they do wake up in the night lol.
Yep, totally do that too! Now I do it twice over as we have 2! It's so hard being so on your guard all the time isn't it.

We'd been in the clear since weds morning and suddenly there was a random episode tonight! 😭 I was feeding the baby so my husband sorted her and she seems absolutely fine, as if nothing had happened which is so odd. She says she feels fine but it's just thrown me right back to square one!

Just posting to say I have emetophobia too and everything you all say, I do as well. The panicking when people get up for the toilet in the night. The blind panic as soon as you hear bugs are going around school. I listen to make sure my kids’ bowel movements are normal too!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Just posting to say I have emetophobia too and everything you all say, I do as well. The panicking when people get up for the toilet in the night. The blind panic as soon as you hear bugs are going around school. I listen to make sure my kids’ bowel movements are normal too!
So relieving to know we're not alone! I'm ao glad I started this thread!

Well, it happened...I got the bug 😭 sorry if that's triggering for anyone, it's just so helpful to discuss this with likeminded people.

Last edited:
A message in the kids class group chat is talking about a sickness bug going around so I am now on the edge of my nerves even though we had it before Xmas!

• Heart
Well, it happened...I got the bug 😭 sorry if that's triggering for anyone, it's just so helpful to discuss this with likeminded people.
I hope you are ok? How were you x this happened to me after my 2year old fell ill-my 7year old was unwell but not obviously a bug I gave her active charcoal, and she was just under the weather but i suspected-anyway my little one was ill like yours,at night,then next night,my 7year old was not ,I then became unwell,but I thought just tired to begin with from little one being ill,I didn't eat allot like you - my symptoms were slightly different but I got to a point were I couldn't have parented one night,I woke up after that night a bit more normal,my husband got it then he was v I'll and in bed all day (men) I had to look after the children as was off school just in case I was on tenterhooks 7year old next that made my anxiety horrendous,but she wasn't but was pasty. It was a grim week-my dad and his wife caught it too as then seen my children the day after 2year old was ill-all of us slightly different symptoms. Lost 5lbs.sorry to talk about
Me-I hope I didn't say anything triggering. This is something that hasn't happened ever before to us,catching I mean maybe and I hope this is the only time for a very long time 🥴 I do hope you are feeling ok x

A message in the kids class group chat is talking about a sickness bug going around so I am now on the edge of my nerves even though we had it before Xmas!
Oh I feel your panic. Its too much even hearing about it sometimes isn't it. Thankfully we don't have a class WhatsApp, I couldn't bear reading stuff like that every week. Mute it and try and distract yourself x

I hope you are ok? How were you x this happened to me after my 2year old fell ill-my 7year old was unwell but not obviously a bug I gave her active charcoal, and she was just under the weather but i suspected-anyway my little one was ill like yours,at night,then next night,my 7year old was not ,I then became unwell,but I thought just tired to begin with from little one being ill,I didn't eat allot like you - my symptoms were slightly different but I got to a point were I couldn't have parented one night,I woke up after that night a bit more normal,my husband got it then he was v I'll and in bed all day (men) I had to look after the children as was off school just in case I was on tenterhooks 7year old next that made my anxiety horrendous,but she wasn't but was pasty. It was a grim week-my dad and his wife caught it too as then seen my children the day after 2year old was ill-all of us slightly different symptoms. Lost 5lbs.sorry to talk about
Me-I hope I didn't say anything triggering. This is something that hasn't happened ever before to us,catching I mean maybe and I hope this is the only time for a very long time 🥴 I do hope you are feeling ok x
I'm OK thank you, it knocked me off my feet to be honest. Today and yesterday I was in bed all day, feeling better but not 100%. My husband has been doing all the parenting while I sleep god love him. Still nervous about him getting it though, although he's super chilled - lucky sod!

And you coped!! Was it as bad as you anticipated
I guess I did...I know it sounds dramatic, but yeah it was as bad to be honest, everything I imagined it would be sadly.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Oh I feel your panic. Its too much even hearing about it sometimes isn't it. Thankfully we don't have a class WhatsApp, I couldn't bear reading stuff like that every week. Mute it and try and distract yourself x

I'm OK thank you, it knocked me off my feet to be honest. Today and yesterday I was in bed all day, feeling better but not 100%. My husband has been doing all the parenting while I sleep god love him. Still nervous about him getting it though, although he's super chilled - lucky sod!

I guess I did...I know it sounds dramatic, but yeah it was as bad to be honest, everything I imagined it would be sadly.
I feel for you - I hope you are on the way through it and your husband escapes it xx

• Heart
Massively freaking out. The kids wanted cereal for dinner. Half way through eating it they told me the milk was chunky. I've just checked and the milk was off. It didn't smell off but it was thick. Now they both feel sick so I'm just waiting for the food poisoning to start. I feel terrible

Massively freaking out. The kids wanted cereal for dinner. Half way through eating it they told me the milk was chunky. I've just checked and the milk was off. It didn't smell off but it was thick. Now they both feel sick so I'm just waiting for the food poisoning to start. I feel terrible
I doubt food poisoning will start that soon it’s more likely to just give them a funny tummy and maybe diarrhoea.

Even if they do get sick, you can’t catch it cos it’s not a sick bug so try not to worry!

My 10 month old hiccuped today in Tesco and a load of sick came out, I was flapping so much to wipe it off his legs in the trolley and got it on my hand and had to calm myself down saying it’s only baby sick I can’t catch a germ from this.

Some sour milks are used in baking x they should be ok? My mum fed my kids yoghurts 1month out of date,by mistake,I was so worried,littlest had bad nappy next day,eldest was ok 😱 xx