Emetophobia - any fellow sufferers? What do you do to cope?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have suffered with Emetophobia all my life. Recently my daughter was poorly and my anxiety was going through the roof - thankfully my husband and I have been ok so far (touch wood). She's due to go back to school tomorrow (48hrs off for sickness) and one of her friends is poorly today. I'm now paranoid that he has a different bug and my daughter will get that one next.

I've had CBT before but I didn't find it particularly effective, and I never went through having illness near me whilst seeing the therapist.

Does anyone have any successfull coping mechanisms or other advice they can share?

I too am emetophobic and I've been trying to think what coping mechanisms I use. I think my main one might not be so helpful: it's knowing that I have an anti-emetic on prescription (Prochlorperazine). So if I start to feel sick I can use that, and knowing it's available helps a lot. It's not prescribed to me because of my phobia however, it's because I have a vertigo condition that causes nausea.

Psychologically what I find helps with the anxiety is when the topic comes up in books, TV etc in a funny or relaxed kind of way - laughing at it or being shown that others don't find it so terrifying does help with the anxiety. Obviously not if it's actually shown though - I'm phobic of seeing it as well as it happening to me!

Sending sympathy, I know how awful this phobia is. I hope you can feel less anxious and that your family remains well ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Me too! 👋🏻
I have panic attacks when other people are sick - but I’m ok with me. I’m 90% certain it’s a control thing but I’m really hoping when I have kids I’ll be able to cope :(

Reactions: 1
I too am emetophobic and I've been trying to think what coping mechanisms I use. I think my main one might not be so helpful: it's knowing that I have an anti-emetic on prescription (Prochlorperazine). So if I start to feel sick I can use that, and knowing it's available helps a lot. It's not prescribed to me because of my phobia however, it's because I have a vertigo condition that causes nausea.

Psychologically what I find helps with the anxiety is when the topic comes up in books, TV etc in a funny or relaxed kind of way - laughing at it or being shown that others don't find it so terrifying does help with the anxiety. Obviously not if it's actually shown though - I'm phobic of seeing it as well as it happening to me!

Sending sympathy, I know how awful this phobia is. I hope you can feel less anxious and that your family remains well ❤
Thank you for responding! It feels like I'm the only one who suffers sometimes, despite it bring a very common fear! Sending sympathy to you too!

I didn't know you could get anti-emetic, I wonder if you can things like that prescribed for the phobia! I had anti-sickness jabs during labour which I was SO grateful for.

I must admit I'm the same, I try and make light of it when its discussed or something but I can't be near the act. Although I had no choice when my daughter was ill, I surprised myself to be honest! But I had to react calmly as I can't pass this fear on to her. The trouble is the aftermath, now I'll just be paranoid about getting poorly. My daughter came in at 3am wanting to get into bed saying her tummy hurt. I'm sure it was because she knew she got sympathy when she was poorly, but that was it for sleep for me.

I'm considering talking to my GP again about what other options there are. I hate loving with this fear, it's so consuming isn't it.

Me too! 👋🏻
I have panic attacks when other people are sick - but I’m ok with me. I’m 90% certain it’s a control thing but I’m really hoping when I have kids I’ll be able to cope :(
Oh goodness, I wish it were that way round for me! But either way it's an awful phobia isn't it.
I had no idea how I'd react with children but my instinct to look after her did override for me. It's just so hard to live with isn't it.

• Heart
I’m not sure but make sure you aren’t projecting it onto them or making them feel like they can’t be ill.

Theres nothing worse than feeling like you can’t be sick because other people don’t like it. I was really ill after my Covid jab so I stayed with family but I needed to be sick all night. I couldn’t because of someone’s else’s fear and I felt awful all night. Had I been able to get it out I would have felt better. In the end I had to pop home to do it.

@Mummaabc Definitely speak to your GP and see what can be done! I don't know if anti-emetics can be prescribed for phobias, but you may be able to get something to help with the anxiety if you think that might be good for you. Also take heart in how well you coped when your daughter was ill - that's a sign that you do have it in you to handle this!

I’m not sure but make sure you aren’t projecting it onto them or making them feel like they can’t be ill.

Theres nothing worse than feeling like you can’t be sick because other people don’t like it. I was really ill after my Covid jab so I stayed with family but I needed to be sick all night. I couldn’t because of someone’s else’s fear and I felt awful all night. Had I been able to get it out I would have felt better. In the end I had to pop home to do it.
Oh, I am doing everything I can to not project the fear onto my kids. I don't even talk about it with my family within her ear shot. I would hate for her to grow up feeling like I do. I was surprised at myself for being so calm about it while it was happening and was proud that I could, my mothering instinct took over thankfully!

@Mummaabc Definitely speak to your GP and see what can be done! I don't know if anti-emetics can be prescribed for phobias, but you may be able to get something to help with the anxiety if you think that might be good for you. Also take heart in how well you coped when your daughter was ill - that's a sign that you do have it in you to handle this!
@PollyPerks Thank you! I was surprised like I say, but pleased I could handle it. I hope I can be as confident every time, then have a little anxious cry when she's gone to bed! I think I will have a chat with my GP.

• Heart
I have suffered with Emetophobia all my life. Recently my daughter was poorly and my anxiety was going through the roof - thankfully my husband and I have been ok so far (touch wood). She's due to go back to school tomorrow (48hrs off for sickness) and one of her friends is poorly today. I'm now paranoid that he has a different bug and my daughter will get that one next.

I've had CBT before but I didn't find it particularly effective, and I never went through having illness near me whilst seeing the therapist.

Does anyone have any successfull coping mechanisms or other advice they can share?
My other half is a cbt therapist and it can be a very effective form of therapy for phobias like that.. did the therapist do any exposure type work, i.e looking at pics of people being sick/wretching, then videos? Even if you weren't exposed to it in real life per se, there's definitely things they can do in the sessions to work through the phobia. I'd reach out to your GP again to see what they say.

My other half is a cbt therapist and it can be a very effective form of therapy for phobias like that.. did the therapist do any exposure type work, i.e looking at pics of people being sick/wretching, then videos? Even if you weren't exposed to it in real life per se, there's definitely things they can do in the sessions to work through the phobia. I'd reach out to your GP again to see what they say.
Thanks for your response. It was just conversation, no exposure to anything. The only "practical" thing was to buy some chicken breast and cut it up - a huge issue for me is raw chicken and the fear of food poisoning from it. I think I'll go back to see my GP to discuss it with them more. Thank you.

Thanks for your response. It was just conversation, no exposure to anything. The only "practical" thing was to buy some chicken breast and cut it up - a huge issue for me is raw chicken and the fear of food poisoning from it. I think I'll go back to see my GP to discuss it with them more. Thank you.
Oh how odd, my understanding of it is that CBT for phobias involves exposure to it across sessions, working on strategies to manage the anxiety as exposure is increased etc. I hope the GP and then any future work is helpful! Good luck. :)

Oh how odd, my understanding of it is that CBT for phobias involves exposure to it across sessions, working on strategies to manage the anxiety as exposure is increased etc. I hope the GP and then any future work is helpful! Good luck. :)
I agree with this. About ten years ago I had some CBT for general anxiety/depression issues, but when it came up that I had emetophobia my therapist was very keen to add exposure therapy into our sessions. As you mentioned, it involved slowly increasing the fear factor of things I was exposed to - from stick figures to drawing to photos to videos (though I never made it to that last step). There was a website which had all the resources on it, but it very clearly stated not to use it without guidance from a therapist. Unfortunately, my sessions ended before we got to the end of the exposure, and my therapist did encourage me to carry on with the website (against it's own guidance) but of course I didn't!

During lockdown last year I had some more CBT as my general mental health had deteriorated a lot (as with many people). We did discuss emetophobia but didn't go into it in depth, however, this therapist suggested that I re-refer myself within a year or so for purely emetophobia based therapy. I haven't done this yet as I am generally coping okay and I know how stretched mental health resources are right now, I think there will be many people more in need than me.

@Mummaabc are you in the UK? If so you can probably self-refer yourself to psychological therapies by using an online form - it's how I've done it in recent years when things have got bad.

Completely agree - and actually one of my worst fears is passing on my own anxieties to any future children, so it is something I’ve thought about 😂
Although I don’t like there are other people who feel similarly to me, it is reassuring not to be the only one.

I agree with this. About ten years ago I had some CBT for general anxiety/depression issues, but when it came up that I had emetophobia my therapist was very keen to add exposure therapy into our sessions. As you mentioned, it involved slowly increasing the fear factor of things I was exposed to - from stick figures to drawing to photos to videos (though I never made it to that last step). There was a website which had all the resources on it, but it very clearly stated not to use it without guidance from a therapist. Unfortunately, my sessions ended before we got to the end of the exposure, and my therapist did encourage me to carry on with the website (against it's own guidance) but of course I didn't!

During lockdown last year I had some more CBT as my general mental health had deteriorated a lot (as with many people). We did discuss emetophobia but didn't go into it in depth, however, this therapist suggested that I re-refer myself within a year or so for purely emetophobia based therapy. I haven't done this yet as I am generally coping okay and I know how stretched mental health resources are right now, I think there will be many people more in need than me.

@Mummaabc are you in the UK? If so you can probably self-refer yourself to psychological therapies by using an online form - it's how I've done it in recent years when things have got bad.
I am and I self referred myself before which led to the CBT I received, thanks though! I have heard about exposure therapy but just assumed the therapist thought it wasn't the right path for me?
I think it would be ideal to chat with my GP. I wouldnt consider myself in desperate need but I would really like to get some help to try and overcome it for good as it does utterly consume me.

Completely agree - and actually one of my worst fears is passing on my own anxieties to any future children, so it is something I’ve thought about 😂
Although I don’t like there are other people who feel similarly to me, it is reassuring not to be the only one.
I was always so worried about passing the fear on, I would hate to see someone else experience this - especially my child.
I know what you mean, it's nice to not feel alone isn't it.

Whilst I have never liked seeing people vomit (who does?) I got used to it when I started working in the licensed/hospitality trade. Nightclubs for a few years and saw plenty of people be sick there. One even vomited on the bar and I had to shut down the bar in order to clear it up. 🤢 For such eventualities, I used to take a little pot of Vicks with me to work, so that if I was faced with more vomit, at the bar, I would inhale Vicks up my nose instead of sick. It worked a treat.

I would say that the more exposed you are to vomit, the less likely it may affect you.

Many years before working in hospitality, I was commuting home from work and someone in the next carriage was sick, right in the bit where the carriages join together. I heard them vomit and then suddenly the smell wafted through. Well the carriage I was in couldn’t clear quick enough. Little did I know at the time, it was a trigger for me to end up with panic attacks whilst travelling by train. It took me years to overcome that but I did it, without medicine and with counselling and support.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago and kid behind me on the plane vomited. No problem, I could deal with it. I just clamped a lemon-scented wet wipe to my nose and that of my then partner. The airline staff quickly dealt with it. But years prior to that I would have freaked out.

Whilst I have never liked seeing people vomit (who does?) I got used to it when I started working in the licensed/hospitality trade. Nightclubs for a few years and saw plenty of people be sick there. One even vomited on the bar and I had to shut down the bar in order to clear it up. 🤢 For such eventualities, I used to take a little pot of Vicks with me to work, so that if I was faced with more vomit, at the bar, I would inhale Vicks up my nose instead of sick. It worked a treat.

I would say that the more exposed you are to vomit, the less likely it may affect you.

Many years before working in hospitality, I was commuting home from work and someone in the next carriage was sick, right in the bit where the carriages join together. I heard them vomit and then suddenly the smell wafted through. Well the carriage I was in couldn’t clear quick enough. Little did I know at the time, it was a trigger for me to end up with panic attacks whilst travelling by train. It took me years to overcome that but I did it, without medicine and with counselling and support.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago and kid behind me on the plane vomited. No problem, I could deal with it. I just clamped a lemon-scented wet wipe to my nose and that of my then partner. The airline staff quickly dealt with it. But years prior to that I would have freaked out.
Well done you for overcoming the panic attacks! I'd love to be in that position one day.
The vicks is a great idea for the smell around any sick!
Sadly, for me, it's the worry of getting ill myself that plagues me. Perhaps dealing with it with my children will help me overcome it 🤞🏻

Yes, I totally understand your fears about that too. As a child, I was hardly ever physically sick. Maybe it was because I was conscious of avoiding foods that may have made me feel sick, I don’t know. Even as an adult, I have hardly been physically sick.

I hope you can find a way of coping through this phobia.

Yes, I totally understand your fears about that too. As a child, I was hardly ever physically sick. Maybe it was because I was conscious of avoiding foods that may have made me feel sick, I don’t know. Even as an adult, I have hardly been physically sick.

I hope you can find a way of coping through this phobia.
I'm the same, unless I've blocked it all out! When I had CBT before the therapist said people who weren't very ill in earlier years are more likely to be phobic, which makes sense.
Thank you It's so consuming when it takes over, I hate it!

• Heart
So glad someone started this thread! I’ve been emetophobic since childhood and I’ve no idea where it came from. I’m in my 30’s now.

I am absolutely terrified of catching tummy bugs or being near people that say they feel sick.
Ridiculous really as last year during my first pregnancy I had Hyperemesis but that didn’t scare me at all because I knew it wasn’t a contagious thing.
This time of year I am on my nerves constantly as all the virus’ are out and about and the media hype it all up with norovirus this and that etc.

Im pleased there are other people like this out there haha

@swimming that was like reading about myself, we suffer in exactly the same way. I was concerned about how I'd be if I had any morning sickness during pregnancy, but thankfully I only suffered with nausea. I still got worried I would actually be ill though.
Do you have any coping mechanisms if you hear about bugs or anything, or do you go straight into panic mode?

It's so good to hear I'm not alone with this!

@swimming that was like reading about myself, we suffer in exactly the same way. I was concerned about how I'd be if I had any morning sickness during pregnancy, but thankfully I only suffered with nausea. I still got worried I would actually be ill though.
Do you have any coping mechanisms if you hear about bugs or anything, or do you go straight into panic mode?

It's so good to hear I'm not alone with this!
Sods laws would have it that I am currently in the middle of going through a stomach bug myself!! 😢 no sickness, just severe upset tummy. And I’m on my own with the 4 month old. It’s a ticking time bomb now as to when he will come down with it and I’m praying he doesn’t have the sickness. I know I’ve caught this from the hospital over the weekend as I had to take little one in for a blood test and there was a 5 year old next to us in the waiting room throwing up. I just wanted to run away

I don’t have any coping mechanisms I just go mad on Google to find out what hospital wards are shut in the media from Norovirus etc. Completely silly and I DESPISE this phobia so much it takes over my life. People don’tunderstand it either.