Emetophobia - any fellow sufferers? What do you do to cope?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am emetophobic and currently living in a nightmare. Youngest got the dreaded stomach bug 3 weeks ago. Then exactly one week later she was sick again. The next day I had the worst diarrhoea of my life. The next day my eldest was sick. Then exactly a week later I had the shits again and was scarily close to being sick. Now this morning, 2 weeks later my youngest has been sick again. When does it end! I'm too scared to sleep!
The likelihood is that if you were going to be sick, it would have happened by now. I can imagine it’s so unpleasant having sick kids indoors but just take it slowly and breath through. Stand outside in the freezing cold and take deep breaths if you have to - it helps me when I’m super anxious about being sick.

Reactions: 2
The likelihood is that if you were going to be sick, it would have happened by now. I can imagine it’s so unpleasant having sick kids indoors but just take it slowly and breath through. Stand outside in the freezing cold and take deep breaths if you have to - it helps me when I’m super anxious about being sick.
Thank you. I think the worst part of anxiety is that it upsets my stomach, which then makes me anxious! Good tip about going outside, sounds silly but I'd never thought of something simple like that helping

Thank you. I think the worst part of anxiety is that it upsets my stomach, which then makes me anxious! Good tip about going outside, sounds silly but I'd never thought of something simple like that helping
Oh poor you, and of course your poor kids. It's awful isn't it. I totally understand your stomach is affected by the anxiety, I get an awful knot when I'm anxious which my brain likes to tell me is me being unwell rather than anxious.
I also second the breathing, fresh air can be really helpful. I was also told about a technique called square breathing - you breathe in for 4, breathe out for 4 and repeat, it can help as it makes you think about your breathing. It's not a fix for me but it can help to calm me sometimes.
I agree that its likely it would have affected you by now but I totally sympathise with the worrying, I would be exactly the same. I hope the illnesses pass and you can relax xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 1
So my daughter came home and said that someone was pff poorly today, I didn't ask questions - usually I would get more details but I decided to try not to scare myself for once!

I've decided to contact a hypnotherapist to discuss getting help that way. I just can't live with this anymore. I haven't had one day over the last few months where I've not thought about illness is some way, I just can't do it anymore!

Hope everyone is doing OK! X

So my daughter came home and said that someone was pff poorly today, I didn't ask questions - usually I would get more details but I decided to try not to scare myself for once!

I've decided to contact a hypnotherapist to discuss getting help that way. I just can't live with this anymore. I haven't had one day over the last few months where I've not thought about illness is some way, I just can't do it anymore!

Hope everyone is doing OK! X
I feel exactly the same. I really want to tackle it this year. Well done for seeking help and resisting the urge to ask questions

I feel exactly the same. I really want to tackle it this year. Well done for seeking help and resisting the urge to ask questions
Thanks! I'm so pleased I didn't get more info! I'm going to do a bit more research on the hypnotherapy first though but hoping to book an initial assessment soon! 🤞
Good luck with your plans! Hopefully 2022 will be the year to overcome this! Have you looked into anything yet?

Thanks! I'm so pleased I didn't get more info! I'm going to do a bit more research on the hypnotherapy first though but hoping to book an initial assessment soon! 🤞
Good luck with your plans! Hopefully 2022 will be the year to overcome this! Have you looked into anything yet?
I have a friend who is a phobia therapist so I going to explore some options with her. I did reach out to my GP and MH team and will be starting an anxiety course when there is space available. Good luck to you xx

I have a friend who is a phobia therapist so I going to explore some options with her. I did reach out to my GP and MH team and will be starting an anxiety course when there is space available. Good luck to you xx
Oh good for you getting support and guidance too! I really hope it helps you. I've found a self referral therapy service for my area that I'll try if I need to, but hopefully I find the hypnotherapy helpful 🤞 stay positive, we can beat this! Let me know how you get on, I'd love to hear that you've overcome it! 🤞

I hope everyone is getting on well.
I've got an initial consultation with a hypnotherapist tomorrow night and I'm so nervous. I'm worried she might say hypnotherapy won't work for me and I'll be back to the drawing board. I really really hope this is the help I've been looking for 🤞

• Heart
I hope everyone is getting on well.
I've got an initial consultation with a hypnotherapist tomorrow night and I'm so nervous. I'm worried she might say hypnotherapy won't work for me and I'll be back to the drawing board. I really really hope this is the help I've been looking for 🤞
Good luck to you if it helps do please let us know 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🥰having faced illness at home last week,it's hit home how my bad my anxiety can get over and above functioning anxiety that is and how long it lasts even after illness has ended. I'm like a merrcat 🤦🏼‍♀️

Good luck to you if it helps do please let us know 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🥰having faced illness at home last week,it's hit home how my bad my anxiety can get over and above functioning anxiety that is and how long it lasts even after illness has ended. I'm like a merrcat 🤦🏼‍♀️
I will definitely it'll report back. I completely understand how you feel and that's how I am too. That's why I've decided to tackle it from another angle, I've just got to get this under control. Hope you're doing OK xx

I met with the hypnotherapist last night and she was really lovely! She's confident that she can help me get on top of this awful phobia and I'm feeling really positive! I know there's no guarantee with this kind of therapy but I'm really hoping it makes a difference for me - something has got to work! I can't wait to get started!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I met with the hypnotherapist last night and she was really lovely! She's confident that she can help me get on top of this awful phobia and I'm feeling really positive! I know there's no guarantee with this kind of therapy but I'm really hoping it makes a difference for me - something has got to work! I can't wait to get started!
Did your hypnotherapist explain how it works to help? I’m really interested, but I’m so scared of stuff like exposure therapy for it. Good luck to you though I really hope it works ❤

Did your hypnotherapist explain how it works to help? I’m really interested, but I’m so scared of stuff like exposure therapy for it. Good luck to you though I really hope it works ❤
It's working with the subconscious mind, you go into a trance - nothing like the Paul Mackenna rubbish though! - you're not out of it or asleep so you're in control and cam stop if you want to. Some people feel like they don't remember anything and some do so it depends on the person. She'll talk to the subconscious mind and basically reset the reaction to the phobia to be much calmer and much more rational. That's it in a bit of a nutshell! I don't think I could do CBT again as I think that would work towards exposure therapy and I don't want that either. The hypnotherapy sounds very calm and positive - I've got my first session tomorrow!

• Heart
It's working with the subconscious mind, you go into a trance - nothing like the Paul Mackenna rubbish though! - you're not out of it or asleep so you're in control and cam stop if you want to. Some people feel like they don't remember anything and some do so it depends on the person. She'll talk to the subconscious mind and basically reset the reaction to the phobia to be much calmer and much more rational. That's it in a bit of a nutshell! I don't think I could do CBT again as I think that would work towards exposure therapy and I don't want that either. The hypnotherapy sounds very calm and positive - I've got my first session tomorrow!
Oh this sounds great! I had CBT for panic attacks and the exposure side was so gradual and rationally I know it works but it still stresses me out thinking about it.

Oh this sounds great! I had CBT for panic attacks and the exposure side was so gradual and rationally I know it works but it still stresses me out thinking about it.
I'm hoping it goes well! She said some people do feel different after the first session but if I don't it doesn't mean it's not working. I'm so excited to see what happens! 100% agree, the irrational side takes over and overrides everything doesn't it.

• Heart
I had my first session today and I went I with an open mind. I was told I would be put into a hugely relaxed state (aka a trance) and I honestly didn't think that would be possible. I was so wrong, I replaced so much that I thought my body was asleep but my brain wasn't. It was the strangest thing! Today was about listening to my therapist's voice and learning the techniques as it were. I've got a recording of today to listen to adn I'm excited to start the actual work on my subconscious!

I had my first session today and I went I with an open mind. I was told I would be put into a hugely relaxed state (aka a trance) and I honestly didn't think that would be possible. I was so wrong, I replaced so much that I thought my body was asleep but my brain wasn't. It was the strangest thing! Today was about listening to my therapist's voice and learning the techniques as it were. I've got a recording of today to listen to adn I'm excited to start the actual work on my subconscious!

Just wondered how you’re getting on? I’m looking into this too

Just wondered how you’re getting on? I’m looking into this too
I was supposed to have my first proper session on Friday but the storm hit and we had to stay home! I'm rearranging for next week as she's on holiday this week - typical that I get the ball rolling and stuff gets in the way! But I'm still positive about it! Hopefully will be able to report more next week! 🤞

I was supposed to have my first proper session on Friday but the storm hit and we had to stay home! I'm rearranging for next week as she's on holiday this week - typical that I get the ball rolling and stuff gets in the way! But I'm still positive about it! Hopefully will be able to report more next week! 🤞
I’ve booked a consult for a couple weeks time so would love to hear!