Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

maytoseptember

VIP Member
Just posting to say I have emetophobia too and everything you all say, I do as well. The panicking when people get up for the toilet in the night. The blind panic as soon as you hear bugs are going around school. I listen to make sure my kids’ bowel movements are normal too!

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Lollypad

VIP Member
I’m glad this thread exists. I’ve had this phobia for what seems like my whole life and I’ve never really confronted it or really told many others.
I don’t drink crazy amounts and I’m also a veggie now due to anxiety over drunk/hungover vomiting and food poisoning.
I don’t anyone in my life fully understands and I feel like I do quite well at covering it up. Like a few have mention, if ive has the odd bug my partner will be like “yes I know you don’t like being ill” whilst inside I’m freaking out.
YES the “well nobody LIKES seeing people be sick” or “yes it makes me feel queasy too” people don’t get it. I don’t just feel a bit iffy, I feel like I can’t breathe, have a panic attack, shake and cry. It’s not “not liking it” 😖

LifeOfRiley

This condition took over my life as a child and teenager and I still get so nervous everytime someone says they are sick.

I generally try and keep busy and this might sound mad but I repeat constantly that I’m strong and well and not going to be sick.

People can have their views but self belief for me is important.

Hugs to everyone to suffers.

• Heart

Izzyt88

I’ve just found this thread and I relate so much to it and everyone’s experiences. I’ve never considered myself to be emetophobic, especially since having kids because I can deal with them being sick quite well, but I have a lot of anxiety around it - it’s like waiting for them to be sick when they’re a bit peaky is worse than when they actually are sick. Also if one is ill, I’m then on edge waiting for the other one, myself or my partner to catch it.

I hate being sick myself too and will do anything to avoid it, even if it means feeling extremely nauseous for a long time when actually being sick would probably give me some relief.

These are things I do when I’m feeling sick or just feeling some anxiety around it;

Distraction - mainly watching ‘comforting’ films or TV programs I’ve seen loads of times before, usually rom coms or sitcoms. I tend to do this more at night time when I find my anxiety is worse

Mints, chewing gum or boiled sweets - I keep some in my bedside table and my handbag just in case I ever feel a bit queasy and find a lot of the time they do help

Fresh air - I keep my bedroom window open pretty much all year round, if I’m feeling really anxious/nauseous I’ll stand by a window (or outside if I can) and take some deep breaths and try to ground myself

Breathing techniques - I concentrate on my breathing, I’ll count to 4 as I breathe in, count to 2 as I hold my breath and count to 4 as I breathe out. I’m pretty sure I read these specific timings as being useful somewhere ages ago which is why I use them but I don’t think it’s medically approved as such 😂

Travel sickness tablets - I don’t use this all the time but we occasionally have these in the house because my partner gets travel sick when he’s a passenger in a car (but this isn’t often!) I find that when I know they’re in the house, I feel less anxious in general because I could take one if I feel sick and it would probably help. Just writing this down is making me want to buy some, ‘just in case’

I’m sure most of you use these techniques already because we all find our own coping mechanisms but thought I’d share my tips anyway 😊

• Heart

Spicy_bananas

Hey everyone! I had emetophobia for 25 years (8 to 33 years old) and it controlled my life. Everything you've all said, I felt the same and acted the same. I had major panic attacks whenever i was confronted to someone who might be sick or was sick.
After many different failed therapies I decided to try hypnosis. The psychiatrist I saw was great and after 3 sessions my phobia was gone. It's been 13 years now and it never came back.
You can ask me questions and I'll try to answer them.
I wish for everyone to heal from this debilitating phobia!

Reactions: 3

RachRN86

VIP Member
I can't eat or sleep properly until I feel safe. The last time they were sick it was 3am and now I'm unable to sleep until 3.15 when I feel safe. I'm so happy that hypno is helping you xx

• Heart

lauren1600

Hi all, I have just discovered this thread and am looking for a bit of advice.

My partner and I are currently trying for our first baby and I’m so anxious about the prospect of morning sickness. I know it doesn’t happen to everyone but I think the unknown aspect makes my anxiety it even worse! I noticed many of you on this thread seem to have children - do you have any tips on how to navigate this part of pregnancy? My phobia is pretty much predominantly around myself being sick regardless of whether it’s a bug/hangover/pregnancy so the fact it wouldn’t be germ related wouldn’t really help me (if that makes sense).

I also wanted to share these which have really helped me over the years: https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...gin-gins-original-chewy-ginger-candy-60015211. They’re essentially just really chewy ginger sweets and 95% of the time they get rid of nauseous feelings for me and settle my stomach. They’re a bit overpowering if you eat them all in one go so I usually just bite off a small piece at a time and slowly chew/suck it. They may not help others and it may be purely psychological for me at this point but wanted to share just in case it helped anyone else! You can buy them in Holland and Barrett and on Amazon. I have them in literally every bag I own and on my bedside table!

And finally (sorry for rambling on!) just a thank you for this thread! It’s made me feel a lot less alone and I love how supportive everyone is of one another. I’ve just reached out to a few hypnotherapists in my area based on all of your advice x

• Heart

YellowMellow14

Chatty Member
I've suffered emetophobia for years. I've let it affect my life in that I don't drink alcohol, eat chicken cooked by others etc. For a while, in my early 20s, I wouldn't leave the house as I was constantly panicking that I was going to be sick.

What I can say is that I am nearly cured... the cure was chemotherapy so I don't recommend that 🤣 I was sick several times a day for 4 months straight. It just became second nature so my brain now realises being sick isn't actually that bad. I'm nearly cured as I still hate seeing others being sick. I dread the day my kids get a sick bug 😭

• Heart

PennyPop

Chatty Member
@Izzyt88 thank you for those tips, I hadn't thought of the mints but I think I'll do that. I'm also a windows open all year round person - well as much as I can!

I got about an hours sleep last night if that, I just couldn't switch off the worry. I had to pull my duvet up over my head because even hearing the kids move in bed makes me worried. There's still kids off school today i think, and my daughter's teacher & our lollipop lady are off, this really makes me uneasy.
I've just booked for a call back from my GP because I feel like the anxiety is getting out of control and I'm feeling really miserable. Hopefully she can help me 🤞

• Heart

Delia Smith

VIP Member
I'll never eat chicken from a restaurant because of my emetophobia. From experience a lot of restaurants don't cook chicken thoroughly enough imo and i've been ill from uncooked chicken from an Italian. If I cook a whole chicken at home i'll add an extra 10-15 minutes onto the cooking time and get my partner to check it's cooked too.
I have a huge fear of Noro and this time of year always puts me on edge - makes me want to wear a mask for this reason!
I've had Noro many many years ago (an entire wedding party caught it) It is a very extreme bug but it usually doesn't last long.
My big thing is panic attacks and being unable to breathe if I think i'm going to be poorly.

• Heart

PennyPop

Chatty Member
Half of me is really pleased to have found this thread, and the other half regrets it, as my anxiety about being sick is through the roof now.

I have had this phobia since I was a child. I asked my GP for medication, and he prescribed me Prochlorperazine 3mg Buccal Tablets. I haven't had to use them for a while but when I have felt sick in the past, I take one of those (dissolve it under your upper lip and try and distract myself. I agree with standing outside in the freezing cold is very helpful. Breathing in cold air helps, and if it's summer you can also use the fridge or freezer to get a blast of coolness.

I feel for anyone who has this debilitating phobia. I have been known to faint when my children were sick, that's how bad it is.

I'm off to distract myself now.
Oh I'm sorry we've triggered you! Hopefully it might be helpful to know you have people to talk to if things get difficult x

I haven’t read through the thread, so I apologise if it has already been answered. However, I’m looking for advice regarding my 10yo who suffers from this. Is progressively getting worse the older she gets. Mainly evolves with others being sick. Does anyone know how I can offer any advice on how I can help her cope, as i know it can be very debilitating the same older you get & I want to be able to help early on. Thank you
Oh gosh, I really feel for her. It's very difficult to offer advice, but if my 6 year old is poorly I just tell her it's her body doing what it's got to do. I keep reassuring her that's she doing great and that she will be over it soon. However, I guess this is more for her to stop her getting my fear...
As a sufferer, to be honest, not a lot helps me. I have tried telling myself to stop worrying, to stop wasting your time worrying about something you can't control, but it's just not that simple. I would try and get her some professional help to see if she can get the phobia under control early. I've suffered for around 35years and it's not getting easier. One thing I would say is don't ever dismiss this phobia (I'm sure you don't) . People always say "oh I don't like being ill either" but it's waaaaay much more than not liking it. I'm sorry I can't offer more - I mean, I created the thread to try and get coping tips because it's just so hard. I really, really hope your daughter can get it under control soon xx

Last edited:

PennyPop

Chatty Member
I met with the hypnotherapist last night and she was really lovely! She's confident that she can help me get on top of this awful phobia and I'm feeling really positive! I know there's no guarantee with this kind of therapy but I'm really hoping it makes a difference for me - something has got to work! I can't wait to get started!

• Heart
Reactions: 2

PennyPop

Chatty Member
So session 2 of hypno went well! We touched on a bit more relaxation, I found the stuff she did with me I'm our first session really helpful to get to sleep last night. And then we moved onto telling my subconscious to turn down the alarm that goes off when I hear about illness so as not go cause my immediate and irrational panic. I also seem to have a voice in my head trying to convince me that I feel poorly even if I don't so she's going to try and get that voice to work with me rather than against me. It all sounds a bit mad but I felt so much more relaxed at the end of the session than when I arrived. It's going well so I'm looking forward to seeing what the next sessions are like!

Also, I wanted to ask if anyone else looses their appetite completely when they go through these times? My husband can't believe I have had nothing but a little 50cl bottle of water over the course of today. I know that's very unhealthy but I just can't face eating at all at the moment.

• Heart

Mummaabc

I’m glad this thread exists. I’ve had this phobia for what seems like my whole life and I’ve never really confronted it or really told many others.
I don’t drink crazy amounts and I’m also a veggie now due to anxiety over drunk/hungover vomiting and food poisoning.
I don’t anyone in my life fully understands and I feel like I do quite well at covering it up. Like a few have mention, if ive has the odd bug my partner will be like “yes I know you don’t like being ill” whilst inside I’m freaking out.
I'm very similar, I eat meat but I can't eat chicken because I'm terrified it'll be under cooked, and you won't ever catch me touching it.
Ugh, I hate when people behave like I'm being dramatic about not liking it. Why can't people understand it's a real, genuine fear? No one calls people who are scared of flying dramatic do they!

swimming

VIP Member
I am emetophobic and currently living in a nightmare. Youngest got the dreaded stomach bug 3 weeks ago. Then exactly one week later she was sick again. The next day I had the worst diarrhoea of my life. The next day my eldest was sick. Then exactly a week later I had the shits again and was scarily close to being sick. Now this morning, 2 weeks later my youngest has been sick again. When does it end! I'm too scared to sleep!
The likelihood is that if you were going to be sick, it would have happened by now. I can imagine it’s so unpleasant having sick kids indoors but just take it slowly and breath through. Stand outside in the freezing cold and take deep breaths if you have to - it helps me when I’m super anxious about being sick.

jessie1235

I have this and I find it really disabling.

I’ve recently been reading a book (for children’s anxiety but I found it great 😅) by Ann cox called helping your child with worry and anxiety - found it so useful!! It’s worth a try anyway!!!

I've had to create a new profile (used to be Mummaabc) as I've been locked out of my old one and email isn't registered anymore apparently 🤷‍♀️

Also, I really wanted this thread just to be about discussing coping strategies with fellow sufferers. The N-virus posts above are very triggering for me - if I continue to read what's been written I literally won't relax or sleep for a week.
I'm really sorry for causing any triggers or stressing anybody out. I just was responding to the user above's question and being realistic from my experience. If it is really stressing people out I'll request for it to be deleted. I wasn't intending to upset anyone and I apologise.

PennyPop

Chatty Member
I've had to create a new profile (used to be Mummaabc) as I've been locked out of my old one and email isn't registered anymore apparently 🤷‍♀️

Also, I really wanted this thread just to be about discussing coping strategies with fellow sufferers. The N-virus posts above are very triggering for me - if I continue to read what's been written I literally won't relax or sleep for a week.

PennyPop

Chatty Member
I'm so pleased to hear this
Thank you, I feel so relieved. It's not an instant fix and it's definitely not a cure for the phobia, but it's a step in the right direction to being able to live with it. And I've been able to eat & drink for the first time in about 18 hours as well, much to my husband's relief.

Oh my goodness, I've just had a call for CBT, I'm crying tears of happiness over here! I'm not saying this to brag at all, but I'm showing anyone who needs help that it will come.

Please speak up, help is available for those who are desperate xxx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Oh my god, my anxiety is through the roof this afternoon. I think there's a bug going round at school and I'm terrified that it's just a matter of time. I feel like I don't know how to cope, the worry and the fear is just unbearable.

ETA aaaaan now here's the paranoia that I don't feel well to add insult to injury 😭
Oh i feel you, as soon as I hear bugs are going about I start to panic and not want to leave the house, I don’t have children yet and sickness bugs in school is something I worry about already, I also worry about morning sickness 😅

This phobia really takes over your life and is so draining.

• Heart