Elle Florence #5 Granny Aesthetics, balancing unemployment and the art of scamming

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know where you're coming from but she's 30+ years old from a developed country and at least middle class if not upper middle. There is literally no reason for someone with her economic situation to not travel alone at her age. That being said, I do think she doesn't have close enough friends to travel with and I can see that being an issue if she really didn't want to be on her own.
It also seems like she has no appreciation for culture, whenever she has traveled all she shows is shopping (designer/department stores) and eating (ahem, Cheesecake Factory lol). When I travel I want to see what makes a place unique or learn about the history or local cuisine. I'd HATE to travel with someone like Elle! And being over 30 I'd rather go by myself.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
It also seems like she has no appreciation for culture, whenever she has traveled all she shows is shopping and eating! When I travel I want to see what makes a place unique or learn about the history or local cusine (ahem, Cheesecake Factory lol). I'd HATE to travel with someone like Elle! And being over 30 I'd rather go by myself.
I agree with you, she never visits anything apart from malls and boutiques. What an airhead.

My partner told me recently that one of my personality traits that impressed him is how independent I am - I remember on our first date we chatted about travels and he was surprised I've been to so many spots on my own because I'd rather go solo than in annoying company. Maybe if Smelle took a leaf out of my book, she'd have more luck with guys ;) Unless, as many of us said before, her dream man is her babysitter.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
However, having travelled solo myself for a long time, I have to say it is a great experience, you gain lots of self-confidence, make new friends, become more independent.
Solo traveling is one of life's greatest pleasures, at least for me. You have the freedom to decide to do whatever you want, whenever. I have traveled all over Europe this way. I've also gone with a friend or S.O., but still prefer solo. LOL. I guess this also depends on one's personality.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I agree with the people who said Elle quit. I think she and rick must have discussed engagement and marriage very very early on, I have a feeling she quit right around the time they went to new Orleans together bc it was a lot of travel for her right after that. And the whole travel tour was introducing her to his family so they "knew her" before they offically got engaged. She was checked out and figured she had it made.

I think her not getting re hired at her old job also shows how they really felt about her. As much as she protested when we'd complain on GG about her lunch time grocery shopping, she'd say that everyone bought groceries at lunch time and filled the work fridge with them to take home later. I think either her work ethic or just how she acted was enough not to re hire her. Generally companies like to hire people who have worked for them before or friends of current co workers because to them it seems less risky. The company I used to work at hired people back all the time they'd rather know what to expect with you.

Reactions: 16
Who quits a job before he/she has another job lined up? Only Elle or another trust fund baby.

Reactions: 10
Solo traveling is one of life's greatest pleasures, at least for me. You have the freedom to decide to do whatever you want, whenever. I have traveled all over Europe this way. I've also gone with a friend or S.O., but still prefer solo. LOL. I guess this also depends on one's personality.
agree. I did a year of mostly solo travel between jobs in my early 20s. A great time. Hostels etc. definitely not the 5* life at that point in my life. But worth it and character building.

Separately, the convo earlier about Elle being lazy— yes so true! If she were serious about stringing pearls, she should be hustling at trade shows on the weekend. That would actually make for interesting vlog content.

Reactions: 10
Elle’s priorities are herself, herself and herself.

She only spends money on herself - ie shopping for herself.

She’s very cheap with everyone else. She only travels when someone else pays (ginette/Boyfriend). She significantly hauls more only when bf pays the rent.

Why? She aspires towards a very wealthy image - but she’s middle class (or upper middle with Ginette help). By herself, she can only afford nordstrom sale, second hand designer bags, small apartments.

In order to maximize the spending on herself and accumulating the designer goods she does have, and project “wealthy” image, she’s cheap in every other aspect of her life.

she has admitted herself to being a spender not saver, and only recently started investing (she’s in her 30s)

Most women with professional jobs with 7-8 years experience can and certainly spend all their money like her and appear the way she does. But is it financially wise? Probably not.

She Wishes she was actually wealthy. Being able to buy in-season fashionable designer items, have a nice luxury apartment , internationally well travelled, no need to work or scam viewers for money.

Yeah but Elle's behavior at work especially after Joe dumped her was hardly good. She was so miserable. I'm not sure she could function at work properly. Not to mention her excessive shopping on company time (aka lunch), her carrying Chanel bags to work, going to Hawaii for long R&R with Ginette and flying the red-eye home... not sure any workplace would tolerate this behavior. It's 50/50 at this time. She really needed therapy after Joe dumped her rather than another relationship.

Traveling while single is harder than traveling with someone. It's better to have a traveling companion. So why doesn't Elle travel with a friend or something? A lot of YouTubers make it work.
I’ll politely challenge the traveling single statement. Even when I’m in a long-term relationship, I enjoy traveling by myself. You can do all the things you want to do without having to compromise with others. It’s also nice to have time to yourself to reflect.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Re: travelling
Yeah, it's a bit more expensive to travel on your own (you can't split the cost of accommodation etc.) and it may feel overwhelming for some to have no-one to chat to and rely on in case you get lost (although can you really get lost in the age of smartphones and Google maps? 🤔 Unless you're going to a jungle or in the mountains - I don't think you can). However, having travelled solo myself for a long time, I have to say it is a great experience, you gain lots of self-confidence, make new friends, become more independent.

Re: getting sacked
I'm in Europe and I'm not familiar with Canadian employment law but surely carrying a designer handbag to work is not a basis for getting sacked 😂 Given that her job description was posted on GG before, it seems it was hardly a demanding role, therefore doing the bare minimum would have been easy even with the breakup tears in her eyes 😂 Sure, she probably wasn't performing to an exceptional standard (why else would she be stuck in the same position for 4-5 years?) but wasn't terrible enough for the employer to have a solid argument for sacking her.
The behaviors you described, while very unprofessional, aren't breaches of employment contract.
Yeah, it's actually very hard to fire an employee in Canada. I used to advise our Canadian HR when they wanted to get rid of someone, and even people who were clearly unfit for their job, we had to take several steps and go through lots of warnings and documentation to fire someone (and these were people who weren't showing up at all, weren't physically able to do the job, etc) I was always shocked since I was used to the US.

I think the gold-digging and relying on a man shtick might be an Elle exclusive thing? As far as I'm aware, Ginette seems to be single or on her own often and she doesn't seem all that bothered by it (although I know we only see what's available in videos).

I agree that she definitely should've made it a bit harder for Elle in her 20s so she could've learned the value of working hard.
That's true -- Ginette did pay for Elle's undergraduate and graduate degrees and multiple internships so she obviously wanted to set her up to work and earn a good salary.

My issue is that when Elle got dumped by Rick -- yes, I think he dumped her and the whole unboxing of a luxury purse in Hawaii was not as powerful as her desire to be a married woman -- Ginette just stepped in and provided Elle this ridiculous Seattle life of unemployment. I would've told my kid to move in with me and spend some time relaxing while COVID-19 terrorizes the United States.

I think Elle actually desires Ginette's life of not working, having money to spend on luxury stuff, and eating out and shopping every day. Hence the crazy desire to be a trophy wife.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
She is lisping a lot in this one:

I agree she got a nose job too. And the fact that she got a new face goes to show how superficial and insecure she is, and how much she cares about looks. I wonder if in her mind she think Chris dumped her because of the way she looked.

There is nothing wrong with getting plastic surgery, but if It's on your face and very noticible, be honest!!
Omg this comment on her video, I die:

I was thinking for ages that you sounded so much like someone but couldn't put my finger on for ages, until now. You sound so much like Joan Cusack the woman who played Debbie in the Addams family! <3 xx

She does! And Joan has a lisp in that movie.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
she has admitted herself to being a spender not saver, and only recently started investing (she’s in her 30s)
Sorry I must have miss it. But in which video did she talk about investing?

Financial investment? Or again one of her "clothing classic piece" investment.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Who quits a job before he/she has another job lined up? Only Elle or another trust fund baby.
I’ve done this before and I don’t think it’s that unusual (I was unhappy with my job and quit, and took time off to travel, relax, and think about what I wanted to do next), and people around me have done it as well. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people who decide to take time off for personal reasons, but the way Elle approached things was definitely questionable. I suppose in her mind, she was going to get married (finally!) and her career wasn’t going anywhere (given she’s been in an entry level role for years) so it made sense from that perspective.

Let’s face it, if the guy wasn’t repulsive like Rick and if the marriage had actually gone through, I don’t think nearly as many people would be questioning her decisions. People make large sacrifices for their partners all the time (Relocation, leaving a great career to start a family, etc.) and Elle’s issue is more so that she hopped onto the first offer of marriage without considering the strength of her relationship (her and Rick barely knew each other, and were dating only for a couple of months long distance before all this happened) and how realistic it was (he was much older, recently divorced and slid into her dms, barely getting by with his salary in a cheap city in Florida). The idea of marriage made Elle blind to the reality that it wasn’t a good match and she was the one putting in all the effort.

I’ll politely challenge the traveling single statement. Even when I’m in a long-term relationship, I enjoy traveling by myself. You can do all the things you want to do without having to compromise with others. It’s also nice to have time to yourself to reflect.
Completely agree with you! I think Elle just didn’t really travel (on her own or with a companion unless it was a man or mommy) because she wasn’t interested, and not because there’s anything wrong with solo traveling. Even when she’s in Hawaii with her mom, she spent most of her time in malls and restaurants when Hawaii is stunning and has so much to offer nature wise.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I’ll disagree with the statement that Ginette is rich or lives extravagantly. Her Hawaii condo is modest compared to luxury standards and while Elle spoils herself with DBTY/station necklaces and designer purses, Ginette never buys that stuff for herself. If Ginette does have something nice, she uses it forever...like a real European, Elle...🙄

While we can’t confirm what Ginette did for a living, I would like to think she was at least good with investing or at least saving. It seems as if the only extra money she got was from the sale of the Victoria house. If she splurged on anything it was either for travel, Elle, or both. I don’t think Ginette really taught Elle how to save as she was probably too concerned with shielding her from meanies. It makes sense that Elle’s ultimate romantic partner would be someone like Ginette...basically take care of her and cater to all her whims.

Anyway I am definitely more inclined to believe the only reason Elle developed expensive tastes is because of her relationship with Chris. Before that Elle’s tastes were less luxury-based, albeit she hoarded a bunch a crap and was still super immature and spoiled.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I am actually very interested to hear more from those who travel alone. I always thought/hoped I would travel. I didn't really have the means when I was much younger and then once it got more feasible I realized my partner wasn't as into the idea as it always seemed he was (plus there was always something in the way like law school or one of us being unemployed). And then, I thought finally, this year we would be able to, but well, we know what is happening there. So, once we can all travel again, I want to finally see places. (I am already quite sad that I didn't get to see Turkey/Egypt when I was younger as I now never think I will feel safe doing it in the current state of the world. I don't want that to happen with more countries.). My question though is how do you best experience places alone and stay safe. Honestly, even when I have gone on vacations with just my boyfriend, I feel like it would be more fun if we had a big group to go with. I can't imagine how it would feel alone.

Reactions: 5
I am actually very interested to hear more from those who travel alone. I always thought/hoped I would travel. I didn't really have the means when I was much younger and then once it got more feasible I realized my partner wasn't as into the idea as it always seemed he was (plus there was always something in the way like law school or one of us being unemployed). And then, I thought finally, this year we would be able to, but well, we know what is happening there. So, once we can all travel again, I want to finally see places. (I am already quite sad that I didn't get to see Turkey/Egypt when I was younger as I now never think I will feel safe doing it in the current state of the world. I don't want that to happen with more countries.). My question though is how do you best experience places alone and stay safe. Honestly, even when I have gone on vacations with just my boyfriend, I feel like it would be more fun if we had a big group to go with. I can't imagine how it would feel alone.
I want to know, too! Pre-covid times (seems like ages ago) I’d travel 4-5 times a year to Europe for work and would always have a bit of time to myself in between meetings and at night and I have to say, I enjoy exploring cities much, much more in the company of my husband. When alone, I always feel like I want someone to comment about things with, almost to the point where I desperately want to just start talking to myself 🤣. I guess the one thing I like about it is not having to negotiate with anyone about the itinerary or where to eat! I also totally hear you about places where it may not be safe for a woman to travel alone — I definitely would not feel comfortable. I think solo travel does limit your destinations unless you like to take risks.

Reactions: 6
While we can’t confirm what Ginette did for a living, I would like to think she was at least good with investing or at least saving. It seems as if the only extra money she got was from the sale of the Victoria house. If she splurged on anything it was either for travel, Elle, or both.
She isn't Bill Gates, but AFAIK she hasn't been working (during Elle's entire YT "career") and lives quite a leisurely life; and she's only in her 60s maybe? So I will go with: she's at least financially savvy enough to have prepared for an early retirement via investments. Even if she's inherited some money, anyone who isn't careful can blow through any amount just as quickly as they got it (ehem, Eleanor).

Do lots of research and be well-prepared. For me, the research/planning is half the fun. I also join a lot of day tours, so you get to meet and interact with other people along the way. I'm pretty introverted so I don't mind exploring solo. Sometimes I will have a friend in the city I visit, but if they work or are busy, I will spend the day exploring and then meet up with them for dinner or a meal. Last year I took 5 trips, 3 of them were solo. It was A LOT and pretty hectic, but I'm glad I went because with everything going on now, who knows when we can all travel again. So sad.

Reactions: 9
@LegalEagle5 @Sheepsmeadow: I've traveled quite a bit on my own so hopefully this is helpful. I think traveling alone, especially as a woman, definitely limits the number of places you can go to but as long as you're sensible and take the normal precautions as you would in any major global city, you should still be fine in a lot of places. I would also say that some places are much better for female solo travelers than others. I've had very good experiences traveling alone in East and Southeast Asia generally, particularly East Asia (China, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan) and parts of Southeast Asia (Singapore is great, as in Bali and most major cities in Thailand. Cambodia and some parts of Vietnam were trickier). Most of Western and Northern Europe were also very good in my experience, particularly Germany, the Netherlands, and Scandinavia. You have to be a bit more wary of pickpockets in France, Spain, and Italy but I wouldn't say it's dangerous. Australia, Canada, most of the U.S., and New Zealand are all very safe for solo female travelers. South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, and parts of South America (Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia) used to be ok but I'd be wary these days.

I think the most annoying thing about solo traveling is cost and maybe types of activities because there are just some things you don't want to do alone, but you can usually join a legit tour of some sort (I did this when I climbed a volcano in Indonesia and even made some friends I still keep in touch with to this day!). I don't do a ton of research on my own but usually ask my social circle for recommendations of everything from food to sightseeing and usually people will give me a very good list that I try to tackle (I usually end up getting way more recommendations than I need!). I do do research on areas/neighborhoods to avoid and general precautions that you should take in whichever country I'm going to.

I also dress very casually and comfortably when I'm travelling, especially to developing countries or places known for pickpockets. Leave the Chanels and Guccis at home, don't dress in a provocative or super eye-catching way (Not defending people who creep on women but when you're abroad and unfamiliar with the culture, it's not good to show too much skin or dress in a flashy way. Most places outside of North America and Western Europe are more conservative. Short shorts and a tank top might be the norm back home but when you're in the Middle East, even if people don't say anything, it'll attract unwanted attention.). It also helps to not over-plan or squeeze in too many things per trip so you're not stressed out or overwhelmed. It's hard to enjoy your vacation when you're constantly worried about hitting up all the spots on your checklist. Also because you're a tourist, odds are, you will occasionally get lost or a cabbie will rip you off. It's all part of the experience so I don't let stuff like that get to me. Take it easy, and accept that these things sometimes just happen.

All this is assuming you'll be on your own and exploring. If you're going to a large city and just hanging out in malls like Smelley, then wear and do whatever you want lol.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Thanks for the tips ladies! I went to Paris in college with a friend, and while the locals were generally nice to us, I will say being 2 ladies alone attracted a lot of unwanted attention. We were nothing to look at trust me, but men were constantly asking to give us massages. It was a great trip, but I always said if I went back I would want to go in the company of a man. At least, then my friend and I were there to protect each other, but that's why again, on my own, it seems overwhelming. I am a pretty risk adverse person though, and introverted, so I get why it's no big deal for others.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thanks for the tips ladies! I went to Paris in college with a friend, and while the locals were generally nice to us, I will say being 2 ladies alone attracted a lot of unwanted attention. We were nothing to look at trust me, but men were constantly asking to give us massages. It was a great trip, but I always said if I went back I would want to go in the company of a man. At least, then my friend and I were there to protect each other, but that's why again, on my own, it seems overwhelming. I am a pretty risk adverse person though, and introverted, so I get why it's no big deal for others.
I think it’s good to be wary of people who approach you directly in a lot of places. For example, I’ve lived in New York for many years and I didn’t find it dangerous or overwhelming at all. But I also don’t make eye contact with guys selling CDs on the streets, homeless guys yelling at me, or subway performers. And when I land at the airport, I grab my things quickly and line up for a proper NYC yellow taxi (and politely but very firmly decline the guys trying to grab my suitcase and offering me a ride their private cars). In most touristy places, you’ll get some people approaching you aggressively and trying to sell something so I try to avoid eye contact, decline firmly and not engage them unless necessary. Resting witch face, sunglasses, and dressing down also helps! No baby voice, clown makeup, or pageant hair like our Eleanor. 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.