Eleanor Lecocq #4 Eat, Shop, Manhunt

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So, it's conceivable that the tasks Elle did were similar to the sorts of tasks an in-house lawyer would tackle. It's just not true for her to say she was in-house counsel since she did have a different job than the attorneys where she worked.
I think it's really important to be clear that Elle's workplace in Vancouver was the regulatory agency for mutual fund dealers in Canada -- the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada. She was an investigator (actual job title) who investigated instances of wrongdoing by mutual fund dealers, produced reports, and gave evidence at hearings -- not in court, but at hearings the regulatory agency conducts when they are investigating wrongdoing.

A lot of people seem to think she worked at an investment firm or at a business law firm. Nope -- the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada is not a nonprofit that regulates mutual fund dealers.

Gurugossip ladies found out the other team members Elle worked with. Not a single one had a law degree, so that clearly isn't a job requirement. Her referring to herself as in-house counsel is fake, and she knows it, as you pointed out.

The only aspect of her job I could see requiring legal knowledge is writing investigative reports. But that's a skill you can pick up with the job over time. If everyone else, including her boss, did not have a legal background or law degree than I doubt the work was overly legal. Elle just said that to make it sound important and #girlboss.

She must have driven Joe crazy with her constant talk of being a #girlboss lawyer.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Longtime lurker here and first time post! I've been watching Elle for years and really related to her as a working professional myself in a big, international city (I live and work in NYC, I'm a consultant and used to travel a ton pre-COVID). I loved her videos so much that she influenced some of my purchases from the YSL Lou Lou bag I bought for myself when I graduated business school to a SMEG kettle (which I totally regretted because it broke after only 2 years!!!). I loved that she was a YouTuber with a legitimate career, which she seemingly worked hard for, who also unabashedly loved luxury and fashion. I bought into her 'girl boss' persona so very much. I overlooked some red flags like her snobby attitude and failed relationships because I figured, well, girl bosses don't settle! But everything was ruined for me when she decided to abandon her career and move to Florida with Rick. This was literally the extreme opposite of a girl boss move. Why was she leaving a great city to move to the capital of retirees in swampland? And quitting her job without another job lined up is the biggest mistake anyone can make (in my mind). I would never drop my whole life for a guy - especially not for someone I've dated for 8 months. I lost so much respect for her!!

I stopped watching her videos for awhile because they seemed so different from her usual videos. Rick's house looked so ordinary, dowdy, and basic, Elle had no job, and she started purchasing secondhand clothes (huh?). How far she had fallen! She honestly reminds me of Rory Gilmore in the recent Netflix Gilmore Girls special where Rory is in her early 30s - jobless and directionless. I hope Elle gets back on track soon but like you all, her latest videos have been very WTF for me. Those super inappropriate WFH dresses? I'm on video calls all day for work, I would NEVER wear anything like those!

Anyways, I've been enjoying this forum and thank you all for validating my thoughts and feelings about Elle!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Agreed with what's said above. Doesn't Elle feel at all embarrassed with how she acted around Joe and pretended to be this powerful #girlboss lawyer when Joe would clearly see through her lies since he is an actual lawyer who clearly goes through late nights in the office?
I'm glad Joe got out - it's not good if a partner is a compulsive liar who lies about big things.
That's the thing with Elle - her relationships won't pan out because unless she drastically changes, all her partners will eventually discover her lies and leave.
Eleanor just simply cannot accept the fact that she's a very average person (in looks, career, etc) with an off-putting, snooty, materialistic personality and no real interests or ambitions.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Very interesting! What are the main areas that in house counsel handle on a day to day basis? Is it more focused on providing legal advice to the corporation on a day to day basis? Contracts, negotiations?
It would depend on the environment, but for example, at my last job, I worked at a large company that made products that go to consumers. For my department, it was mostly about providing legal advice on various matters (advertising, customer/vendor relations, etc.) to try to avoid litigation, as well as reviewing a lot of contracts. Honestly, the paralegals often knew more than the attorneys on certain subject matters, so the lines do blur. We would also have contract disputes or threats of litigation where, as an attorney, I would work with my business to try to resolve the matter with the other side. Then, as mentioned, if sued, outside counsel would handle the case, but I would need to work with them to give them the information they need to defend the case (since they wouldn't know how to navigate the organization) and I would need to direct them in terms of preferred strategy/settlements. But, the most surprising thing I will tell you is that I'd say only about 40% of the questions I have dealt with on a daily basis are actually legal questions -- I spend a lot of my time saying "there's no legal issue here, but you may want to consider..."

Reactions: 8
I hope Elle gets back on track soon but like you all, her latest videos have been very WTF for me.
Yeah but back on track to what? Spending her Mom's money while dating men who decide they can't marry her after 2 years? That track hasn't really helped her much.

Reactions: 6
It would depend on the environment, but for example, at my last job, I worked at a large company that made products that go to consumers. For my department, it was mostly about providing legal advice on various matters (advertising, customer/vendor relations, etc.) to try to avoid litigation, as well as reviewing a lot of contracts. Honestly, the paralegals often knew more than the attorneys on certain subject matters, so the lines do blur. We would also have contract disputes or threats of litigation where, as an attorney, I would work with my business to try to resolve the matter with the other side. Then, as mentioned, if sued, outside counsel would handle the case, but I would need to work with them to give them the information they need to defend the case (since they wouldn't know how to navigate the organization) and I would need to direct them in terms of preferred strategy/settlements. But, the most surprising thing I will tell you is that I'd say only about 40% of the questions I have dealt with on a daily basis are actually legal questions -- I spend a lot of my time saying "there's no legal issue here, but you may want to consider..."
Thank you for the info! That sounds like an awesome job where you are able to deal with a lot of different situations and be the point person for legal matters within the business. It's so crazy that Elle keeps claiming to be in house counsel when that was clearly not her job title and she isn't qualified in terms of experience and skills to do what you described. I guess she defines in house counsel as any employee who happens to have a law license (that is not even necessary for her job). :/

Yeah but back on track to what? Spending her Mom's money while dating men who decide they can't marry her after 2 years? That track hasn't really helped her much.
I think Elle needs to move back to Vancouver, buckle down and find another job. Dating around is fine but don't be so desperate. Read The Rules and Why Men Marry / Love B*tches.

Reactions: 5
I think Elle needs to move back to Vancouver, buckle down and find another job. Dating around is fine but don't be so desperate. Read The Rules and Why Men Marry / Love B*tches.
I'm not sure becoming even bitchier is the way to go - she can barely hold onto men as she is. I agree that she should be less desperate though.

I suspect Elle doesn't treat the men she dates all that well - it was very obvious with Joe when she took over their entire apartment with her clutter, made him pay for a lot of expensive furniture that she clearly picked out (which Joe was forced to later sell at a massive discount when their relationship collapsed), gave him and his family really cheap gifts while she bought herself Chanel (remember when she stayed with his family and she got his mom a rodent and one of her Nouvelle scarfs?), and even complained about the little cooking that she did for him (she mentioned something about how she has so much more time for herself now that she didn't have to cook or take care of someone else after he dumped her). Talking in a little baby voice and the occasional "GUUD PASTA" doesn't make someone a "nice girl."

We've discussed the Vancouver thing before and some of us felt that she had exhausted her dating options there (we all know she gets around and dates actively even during a global pandemic!), given she goes for a certain type of young, white collar professional. And that she was probably ashamed to go back and face her old acquaintances and friends because she probably waxed lyrical about Rick and how she was going to be a married woman.

• Heart
I'm not sure becoming even bitchier is the way to go - she can barely hold onto men as she is. I agree that she should be less desperate though.

I suspect Elle doesn't treat the men she dates all that well - it was very obvious with Joe when she took over their entire apartment with her clutter, made him pay for a lot of expensive furniture that she clearly picked out (which Joe was forced to later sell at a massive discount when their relationship collapsed), gave him and his family really cheap gifts while she bought herself Chanel (remember when she stayed with his family and she got his mom a rodent and one of her Nouvelle scarfs?), and even complained about the little cooking that she did for him (she mentioned something about how she has so much more time for herself now that she didn't have to cook or take care of someone else after he dumped her). Talking in a little baby voice and the occasional "GUUD PASTA" doesn't make someone a "nice girl."

We've discussed the Vancouver thing before and some of us felt that she had exhausted her dating options there (we all know she gets around and dates actively even during a global pandemic!), given she goes for a certain type of young, white collar professional. And that she was probably ashamed to go back and face her old acquaintances and friends because she probably waxed lyrical about Rick and how she was going to be a married woman.
The only way she's going to get a sane man to stick around for marriage is if he loves her. Not really that revolutionary of an idea, as most people are out to marry someone they are in a loving relationship with.

Shes not unlovable. The guy is going to have to love her enough to forgive a lot, but that's true of a lot of successful marriages. Her best bet (because she's not likely to work on herself) is to find some guy with a gigantic heart who falls in love with the mission of saving the poor hurt little girl inside Elle. There are some people who really derive joy from that sort of thing.

Now what are the chances that the guy who falls in love with her and makes it his life mission to help her heal inside also is rich, has a braggable job, and will provide her with a ring worth of a 15 part video series? She's got her work cut out for her finding the guy with the big heart, never mind everything else.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
The only way she's going to get a sane man to stick around for marriage is if he loves her. Not really that revolutionary of an idea, as most people are out to marry someone they are in a loving relationship with.

Shes not unlovable. The guy is going to have to love her enough to forgive a lot, but that's true of a lot of successful marriages. Her best bet (because she's not likely to work on herself) is to find some guy with a gigantic heart who falls in love with the mission of saving the poor hurt little girl inside Elle. There are some people who really derive joy from that sort of thing.

Now what are the chances that the guy who falls in love with her and makes it his life mission to help her heal inside also is rich, has a braggable job, and will provide her with a ring worth of a 15 part video series? She's got her work cut out for her finding the guy with the big heart, never mind everything else.
Maybe I'm being cynical but I never got the impression that Elle cared much about love or even compatibility in her relationships. No one who truly loved someone else would date as aggressively as Elle does right after her many breakups and try to move in with the next man asap. She rarely has anything in common with her exes, they often dismiss her like she's a moron in the videos, and the only person she's ever mentioned loving was Rick in that proposal video, and it was more about showing off her engagement than anything else. It's harsh but I get the impression she's pretty much afraid to be alone, and is desperate for both a ring and a rich guy with a "prestigious" job. If she can't have one (i.e. Chris and Joe), she'll settle for the other (i.e. Rick). Everything she does seems to benefit whatever goal she has in mind at that moment.

I'm willing to bet that between a man with an average job who "loves and accepts" her vs. a hot shot corporate lawyer, she'd take the lawyer 99.99% of the time. She would only accept the more average guy if he was willing to marry her asap and the lawyer wasn't. It's just the kind of girl she is.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Maybe I'm being cynical but I never got the impression that Elle cared much about love or even compatibility in her relationships. No one who truly loved someone else would date as aggressively as Elle does right after her many breakups and try to move in with the next man asap.
I don't know, I don't think #girlboss is so obsessed with being in a relationship that she doesn't consider love into the equation. I think her idea of love, however, is where it gets weird.

She strikes me as having very old-fashioned views on relationships. It's like she expects to find a husband, have some babies, make him a drink after work, and wear Mad Men dresses while gossiping with the other wives at the country club. Nothing in her relationship view is about love or affection or building a life together. Show me another 31 year old who thinks it's normal to have nothing in common with your partner, or who speaks in baby voice constantly?

Maybe she thinks love is providing for her, upgrading her life status, or buying her Chanel and Gucci. The fact that she puts up with all her boyfriend speaking down to her and rolling their eyes at her is so depressing. Shows low self-esteem to me, and I feel sad for her about that.

I also don't buy -- for a second -- her claim that because she had a single mother she doesn't have a blueprint for a healthy relationship. Child... you don't need a blueprint or an example. You need to read someone else's emotions and know some things are not acceptable.

Right? It’s not like she was any better pre-Rick. Just a spoiled, condescending witch with bad manners and awful taste.

Look, I know I come off as rather heartless and cold towards Elle, but I threw up my hands after she started dating SS...which was only 2 months after Joe left her. Then the Daily Hive debacle and her reaction to the backlash made me believe she has some sort of personality disorder.

Anyway, I don’t believe Elle really cares about her professional life once a man is in her life, someone to provide creature comforts and fulfill her daddy issues.

Maybe I'm being cynical but I never got the impression that Elle cared much about love or even compatibility in her relationships.
Oh I agree with that. I'm not saying Elle needs to love Mr Next. She probably can't given how much she needs to fix on the inside.

I'm just saying for her to actually walk down the aisle, she needs to find a guy who loves her. That's the only guy who will stay until the wedding.

I don't know, I don't think #girlboss is so obsessed with being in a relationship that she doesn't consider love into the equation. I think her idea of love, however, is where it gets weird.

She strikes me as having very old-fashioned views on relationships. It's like she expects to find a husband, have some babies, make him a drink after work, and wear Mad Men dresses while gossiping with the other wives at the country club. Nothing in her relationship view is about love or affection or building a life together. Show me another 31 year old who thinks it's normal to have nothing in common with your partner, or who speaks in baby voice constantly?

Maybe she thinks love is providing for her, upgrading her life status, or buying her Chanel and Gucci. The fact that she puts up with all her boyfriend speaking down to her and rolling their eyes at her is so depressing. Shows low self-esteem to me, and I feel sad for her about that.

I also don't buy -- for a second -- her claim that because she had a single mother she doesn't have a blueprint for a healthy relationship. Child... you don't need a blueprint or an example. You need to read someone else's emotions and know some things are not acceptable.
That's fair - if her definition of love is a man providing for her materially while she dresses up and talks to him in a baby voice, then I guess what she had was "love.' Unfortunately for her, I don't think many people care for that definition these days. That being said, I think as long as she goes for someone much older and worse looking than she is, and he doesn't have the best track record with women, I think she could find someone to put up with her based on that definition. I'm sure there are men out there who are looking for a 1950's housewife to spoil even today, but I don't think that was Chris, Joe, SS, Rick, or Dean. I'm sure Elle has had enough experience and intelligence to realize this as well, and that's why ever since she turned 30, she's been a lot more liberal with her choices. 25 year old Eleanor would've never given Rickets a chance.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Ricks most recent insta photo is great. Poor Spanish grammar (Rick bueno/buena is after the word it is describing!! Mr know It all must have done Google translate. Y comida muy buena would be more correct). And it looks like he has that poor family held hostage.

He seem to use other people to show how interesting he is. But really he seems like a bore, you can be boring and still know interesting people. Maybe he's trying to make Elle jealous "look I've got an exotic Columbian family now"

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Ricks most recent insta photo is great. Poor Spanish grammar (Rick bueno/buena is after the word it is describing!! Mr know It all must have done Google translate. Y comida my buena would be more correct). And it looks like he has that poor family held hostage.

He seem to use other people to show how interesting he is. But really he seems like a bore, you can be boring and still know interesting people. Maybe he's trying to make Elle jealous "look I've got an exotic Columbian family now"
Rick is probably a Trump supporter and threatened to call ICE if they didn't take photos with him to elevate his "diversity" appearance on IG

• Haha
Ricks most recent insta photo is great. Poor Spanish grammar (Rick bueno/buena is after the word it is describing!! Mr know It all must have done Google translate. Y comida my buena would be more correct). And it looks like he has that poor family held hostage.

I just saw the photo. I think bueno/malo can be before or after a noun, actually. Doesn’t make him less of an idiot, though. 😂

I just saw the photo. I think bueno/malo can be before or after a noun, actually. Doesn’t make him less of an idiot, though. 😂
Could be a regional thing! My Spanish teachers drilled it into me, syntax isn't the same so don't just blindly translate each word . I just remeber adjective after noun unless it is stuff like " un buen dia" and other exceptions. It has been over 10 years since I took spanish so I very well could be wrong, that's just how I remember it

Ricks most recent insta photo is great. Poor Spanish grammar (Rick bueno/buena is after the word it is describing!! Mr know It all must have done Google translate. Y comida muy buena would be more correct). And it looks like he has that poor family held hostage.

The great thing about Rick is that he's consistently weird and entertaining as a result, and he's a better youtuber than Elle. I noticed that she hasn't posted today. Big difference from her biweekly updates back in the Joe days where she had lots to brag about.

The great thing about Rick is that he's consistently weird and entertaining as a result, and he's a better youtuber than Elle. I noticed that she hasn't posted today. Big difference from her biweekly updates back in the Joe days where she had lots to brag about.
I still wish they got married. Watching Elle struggle with being 'average' in Florida would have been the best show on youtube. We on;y got a tiny taste of it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.