Eleanor Florence Lecocq #8 The Vlogmas M'Elletdown

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I like the idea of automatic watches. It’s like having a little machine on your wrist that doesn’t need batteries to function; the movement does all the work and I find it amazing. How did watch makers figure out how to do that?! My fiancé has a Timex automatic watch and I thought and still think it’s super cool. I think my favorite luxury automatic watch would be the Breguet Tradition (it literally looks like a machine 😍🤣) although Patek really makes some beautiful ones for sure.

I did think about buying an automatic watch and figured I get a “cheap” one before I moved up and saved for an entry level luxury piece (a secondhand Rolex or Tag Heuer since that’s within my reach). But then I saw how my fiancé would wind his up every couple weeks and how he told me I had to wear it everyday so it keeps time...yeah, no thanks. 😅 I still think they’re beautiful but I’ll stick to a quartz Seiko or quartz Tag Heuer. 🤣🤣
Just wanted to pass on that you can buy a watch winder box for as little as $30 that keeps the watch wound when you aren’t wearing it so you don’t have to do what your boyfriend does.

Reactions: 9
Just wanted to pass on that you can buy a watch winder box for as little as $30 that keeps the watch wound when you aren’t wearing it so you don’t have to do what your boyfriend does.
Good point. 😂 I asked him about it and he said he was too lazy to buy one. 🤦‍♀️ I should just get him one and see if that will make me interested in getting an automatic movement watch again. 😂😅

I don’t want to derail the conversation too much, but I love talking about watches and jewelry. When I heard what type of watch Elle wore it didn’t surprise me, even though I know it was originally Ginette’s.

Reactions: 6
I don’t want to derail the conversation too much, but I love talking about watches and jewelry.
Me too! If no one minds going a bit off-topic, I'd love to hear any thoughts on the differences between ordinary/costume(?) jewellery and fine jewellery. I have quite a bit of what I assume is mostly costume jewellery, including a few more slightly expensive pieces from Tiffany's, a pearl necklace from Aspinal of London and a Bulova watch, but I've never been a big jewellery person (as I've always preferred to buy designer handbags instead, and can talk about those all day!). However, I would quite like to streamline my collection and buy a couple of nicer pieces of jewellery that I'll be able to wear for a long time. I definitely won't be 'investing' in Nouvelle Pearl :ROFLMAO:, but I'd appreciate any advice or brand suggestions.

I love fine jewelry (heck, I love all jewelry). Even so, costume jewelry can be gorgeous and even very, very affluent people wear it.

My motto is wear what brings you joy! I'm a firm believer in accessorizing however you want.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Tbh, Elle did this too, but her lick is off camera. I watched it closely to see. Elle stuck the knife in the jam, flicked it off-screen around chin level, and held the newly empty knife in view again. This was pared with talking about tasting the one flavor (pre-dipping) and how flavorless it was.
Elle didn’t explain the Yukymas title but both of them licking their knives and dipping them back into the jam makes the title appropriate. 😂🤣🤢🤧🤮. Now that I think about it ....all her vlogmases are Yuckymas. 🤣😂🤢. This one was also Boringmas 😴

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Me too! If no one minds going a bit off-topic, I'd love to hear any thoughts on the differences between ordinary/costume(?) jewellery and fine jewellery. I have quite a bit of what I assume is mostly costume jewellery, including a few more slightly expensive pieces from Tiffany's, a pearl necklace from Aspinal of London and a Bulova watch, but I've never been a big jewellery person (as I've always preferred to buy designer handbags instead, and can talk about those all day!). However, I would quite like to streamline my collection and buy a couple of nicer pieces of jewellery that I'll be able to wear for a long time. I definitely won't be 'investing' in Nouvelle Pearl :ROFLMAO:, but I'd appreciate any advice or brand suggestions.
So I’m not an expert when it comes to jewelry (just very obsessive 😅), but I always assumed anything made with fine metals (re: 14k+ gold, platinum) is most likely going to be fine jewelry. You can pretty much wear it everyday and it’s much more durable than silver or gold plated/filled pieces. Fine jewelry is also typically more expensive than costume/fashion jewelry, although I’ve seen plenty of exceptions to that like silver Tiffany pieces (which imo, is expensive) and Chanel...I do realize that Tiffany and Chanel make fine jewelry but their costume lines are more expensive than comparable pieces in big box jewelry stores.

I’ll be honest, I’m not really into following designer names or luxury houses. For one most if not all of it is out of my budget and second I think a lot of them are overpriced for what they offer. To me it’s easier to work with a local jeweler and make some custom work...or reach out to an Etsy artist. There are so many of Etsy jewelers who are super talented and can make pieces for you that are within your budget and OOAK.

I do love following artisans btw...CvB Designs and Maytal Hannah make exquisite pieces but oooh, their prices make my eyes water. I also like David Klass; his prices are much more reasonable but he gets really busy.

As far as what pieces to wear, I always think people should wear what they want. There are classics like pearl necklaces and diamond studs but you don’t have to get those if you don’t like them. Some people would rather wear colored gemstones as opposed to diamonds and I know a ton of people who don’t like pearls at all. I’ve been told brooches are a staple but I’ve never liked them and I don’t think I’d ever buy one for myself. Jewelry is a very personal thing and should be meaningful, imo. Most of my fine jewelry is actually gifted to me and I prefer it that way...I’m less likely to let go of it as there’s sentimentality attached to it. I’ve only bought a couple fine pieces for myself, one of which was a diamond band that I found on Etsy for a really good deal. Otherwise I just like to buy costume jewelry for me...it’s cheap, I don’t feel like I have to worry about it, and I can get creative with it. 😁

Sorry for the longish, scattered reply. I’m on a mobile and watching Dateline as I type this. 😂😂

ETA: some places I like to look at as well, Vrai, Noemie, Ring Concierge, Stephanie Gottlieb, just to name a few.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
So another beauty guru, Michele Wang, just announced that she is selling scarves that she designed herself as her channel merch. She's got a background as a knitwear designer, she clearly worked directly with the factory (in Italy) to source the yarn, weight and design, and her scarf actually has her own logo embedded in the design. The scarves are beautiful and stingingly expensive ($300+). But it's just shocking how pooly Smelle's products compare against a true influencer designed product.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
So I’m not an expert when it comes to jewelry (just very obsessive 😅), but I always assumed anything made with fine metals (re: 14k+ gold, platinum) is most likely going to be fine jewelry. You can pretty much wear it everyday and it’s much more durable than silver or gold plated/filled pieces. Fine jewelry is also typically more expensive than costume/fashion jewelry, although I’ve seen plenty of exceptions to that like silver Tiffany pieces (which imo, is expensive) and Chanel...I do realize that Tiffany and Chanel make fine jewelry but their costume lines are more expensive than comparable pieces in big box jewelry stores.

I’ll be honest, I’m not really into following designer names or luxury houses. For one most if not all of it is out of my budget and second I think a lot of them are overpriced for what they offer. To me it’s easier to work with a local jeweler and make some custom work...or reach out to an Etsy artist. There are so many of Etsy jewelers who are super talented and can make pieces for you that are within your budget and OOAK.

I do love following artisans btw...CvB Designs and Maytal Hannah make exquisite pieces but oooh, their prices make my eyes water. I also like David Klass; his prices are much more reasonable but he gets really busy.

As far as what pieces to wear, I always think people should wear what they want. There are classics like pearl necklaces and diamond studs but you don’t have to get those if you don’t like them. Some people would rather wear colored gemstones as opposed to diamonds and I know a ton of people who don’t like pearls at all. I’ve been told brooches are a staple but I’ve never liked them and I don’t think I’d ever buy one for myself. Jewelry is a very personal thing and should be meaningful, imo. Most of my fine jewelry is actually gifted to me and I prefer it that way...I’m less likely to let go of it as there’s sentimentality attached to it. I’ve only bought a couple fine pieces for myself, one of which was a diamond band that I found on Etsy for a really good deal. Otherwise I just like to buy costume jewelry for me...it’s cheap, I don’t feel like I have to worry about it, and I can get creative with it. 😁

Sorry for the longish, scattered reply. I’m on a mobile and watching Dateline as I type this. 😂😂

ETA: some places I like to look at as well, Vrai, Noemie, Ring Concierge, Stephanie Gottlieb, just to name a few.
Super helpful, especially the Etsy tip. I hadn't even considered that, but what a great way to get something original and support a small business/creator. Thanks! (y)

Reactions: 7
So another beauty guru, Michele Wang, just announced that she is selling scarves that she designed herself as her channel merch. She's got a background as a knitwear designer, she clearly worked directly with the factory (in Italy) to source the yarn, weight and design, and her scarf actually has her own logo embedded in the design. The scarves are beautiful and stingingly expensive ($300+). But it's just shocking how pooly Smelle's products compare against a true influencer designed product.
Meh... her video and scarves give me Elle vibes. Her video didn't reveal much... basically that viewers should trust her because she is working with the best factories to get something that is so much better than "normal" stuff. Sounds like Elle when she describes her pearls. $329 for a scarf is a lot and they are very basic - she essentially copied LV with their monogram scarf. She also lives in Las Vegas so I don't see how it's a natural fit. Like when Elle was trying to convince us she needed her scarves in Florida.

I'm so tired of random YT "gurus" trying to hawk their own stuff when it's usually subpar and overpriced. The greed on YT is insane.

Reactions: 8
I'd love to talk about jewelry and watches and designer handbags!

Most of my fine jewelry is inherited from my grandmothers and is therefore vintage. I have some really beautiful and sentimental pieces from their collections and wear them regularly. I also travel a lot (OK, used to, given the state of the world) and love buying a unique piece or two from artists wherever I go. I buy them myself with my own money, no parental financing required. Wearing something so special with happy memories attached brings me so much joy and always reminds me of my travels.

In a few of my previous posts I've mentioned Costco pearls being great, and I really stand by that statement. Costco Akoya pearl studs are my daily earrings and they're very beautiful for a great price.

A question for those of you who are into watches: I'm considering a Cartier Tank Francaise with stainless steel band for my birthday next year. I have a minimalist style and really like the sleek design. The quartz movement suits me fine. My next step was to go to Cartier and try on for sizing and style once Covid simmers down. What are your thoughts on this watch?

Reactions: 11
Van Cleef or Bulgari gets my pick for name brand jewlelry!! Amazing quality and designs. Cartier is a little over saturated right now but does have edgier designs. If you’re interested in van Cleef, the purseforum has plenty of knowledgeable ladies with advice and pictures!

for diamonds or gold jewelry, i think it’s better to just go to a reputable jeweller in your town. There’s no need to overpay just for the brand name if you’re just looking for diamond studs, tennis bracelet or a solid gold bracelet.

For a budget sparkly option, consider man made diamonds or moissanite.

for pearls, mikimoto if you’re looking to splurge. Best quality ever. Otherwise, online wholesalers Like pearlparadise or pearlsofjoy are great options!

• Heart
Van Cleef or Bulgari gets my pick for name brand jewlelry!! Amazing quality and designs. Cartier is a little over saturated right now but does have edgier designs. If you’re interested in van Cleef, the purseforum has plenty of knowledgeable ladies with advice and pictures!

for diamonds or gold jewelry, i think it’s better to just go to a reputable jeweller in your town. There’s no need to overpay just for the brand name if you’re just looking for diamond studs, tennis bracelet or a solid gold bracelet.

For a budget sparkly option, consider man made diamonds or moissanite.

for pearls, mikimoto if you’re looking to splurge. Best quality ever. Otherwise, online wholesalers Like pearlparadise or pearlsofjoy are great options!
You should consider estate jewelry at local jewelry stores. The stones can be reset into a new setting that suits you for a fraction of the cost. My husband did this for my engagement ring and got a 2.5ct diamond for $4K. He did get the “family discount” because my FIL watchmaker connection, but estate diamonds cost about 1/4 of the price of new diamonds of equal quality.

Reactions: 8
Sorry for all my jewelry talk for people who aren’t into it. This will be my last comment 😅
A question for those of you who are into watches: I'm considering a Cartier Tank Francaise with stainless steel band for my birthday next year. I have a minimalist style and really like the sleek design. The quartz movement suits me fine. My next step was to go to Cartier and try on for sizing and style once Covid simmers down. What are your thoughts on this watch?
From my very, very novice perspective (and you don’t have to take me seriously, so please don’t take my comments personally! 😅)...I think they’re pretty but TBH you are paying for the name. Don’t get me wrong, I like many quartz Tag Heuer (there are a couple automatic from them just like Cartier), but there isn’t anything distinguishable about quartz watches.

A lot of watch enthusiasts are into mechanical/automatic movement because there is an art to making a watch operate on its own without any type of battery. Unfortunately the drawback is they lose time and you need to wear them frequently. But the nice thing about quartz watches is that they don’t lose time. You don’t have to wind them or wear them a lot!

While I’m not into luxury jewelry, I have to say you’re 100 percent right about Mikimoto. I saw some Tahitians South Sea Pearls a year ago and I was shook. Their quality threw my Pearl Paradise pearls out of the water. 😍

Last edited:
What's friends does she have though?
Also she has to be trolling us with the new disgusting Christmas rat skiing

• Haha
What's friends does she have though?
Also she has to be trolling us with the new disgusting Christmas rat skiing
Yeah, I was thinking her 'friends' are probably the mask making girl, her mother (Smelle's 'personal stylist' aka Nordstrom saleswoman), and maybe some random other person she met through the mask making one.

It's already pretty hard to make friends when you're in your 30s but it must be extra harder during a pandemic when everyone is staying at home. Plus who would want to be friends with such a weirdo?

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.