Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Star is born

VIP Member
We have used it a few times too, I hope they do extend it as there’s a few pricer restaurants I would like to try 👍🏻

Reactions: 1

idk2

VIP Member
Theres word on social media the scheme is to be extended. I really hope not. The roads are packed Mon-Weds!

• Sad

Yel

Chatty Member
For many companies the half price deals make a lot of sense seeing as even for non-acholic drinks they are where lots of the money is made.

I'm not sure if it's still a thing, but many places used to do this deal in January weekdays as it was so quiet. Places like yo sushi seemed expensive even at half price where £50 full value of food for two people and still not filled up, and this was 10 years ago :LOL:

kev1974

VIP Member
Toby carvery, harvester and sizzling pubs are extending the scheme till the 9th.
People may celebrate at getting a cheap harvester but this is bad news for independent restaurants which don't have the deep pockets that the chains have. They'll either feel forced to carry on offering the discount but somehow funding it themselves in order to avoid losing all their customers to Toby Carvery etc; or risk a load of abuse from customers if they don't offer the discount.

I feel very sorry for anyone trying to run or work in an independent restaurant.

Casperron

VIP Member
Don't costa put everything on plates and in glass cups if you eat in though? It would only work really for fast food where it all comes wrapped
You can ask for it in a takeaway cup. I always do as it never gets cold before I hve to go

Ponponpon

VIP Member
I know, the takeaways have all signed up for the scheme though as per the govt website? Even though they have no indoor or outdoor seating. So it cant be Eat In to Help Out if theres no facilities for it.
I must be misunderstanding you. The government haven't automatically enrolled any company into the scheme and even reviewing the website I can't see it says all takeouts have be enrolled - can you link me? I've had one takeaway since the scheme started and it certainly wasn't discounted.

My partner is the manager of a pub and the last 3 weeks Monday-Wednesday I've barely seen him and when i have its been late at night and he's been miserable. Customers have been rude to him and customers have completely ignored social distancing. It has took a big strain on him. He's done massive food orders and they keep being sold out. Customers speak to him like shit. Its horrible to hear. There are people like that all year round, I've seen him angry after having to deal with customers before but not like this. Covid just makes it so much worse.
I've seen an article tonight too saying that some places have had to pull out of it due to the stress of it. I can understand after seeing my partner.

Fairplay to the people who have used it and don't speak to the hospitality staff like utter crap though 😊
I posted something similar earlier in the thread. My husband is a chef and he's gone from doing 40 on a Monday to 280. Same issues re social distancing, food ordering and amount sold (chefs on days off tomorrow are having to go in as they've been stripped of everything in the stores) customers being rude and obnoxious and just added stress and pressure on the whole team.

I don't need to tell you it's a tough industry to work in. Four more to go. ❤

Last edited:
  • Sad

JD-Morgan

Please educate me - as I understand it from this thread, McDonalds is in effect doing table service to prevent queues. How is it preventing staff from cleaning if you sit? They still have to clean the table...
You still need to queue outside as they only let so many people in at a time whether they are sitting in or taking away

idk2

VIP Member
I must be misunderstanding you. The government haven't automatically enrolled any company into the scheme and even reviewing the website I can't see it says all takeouts have be enrolled - can you link me? I've had one takeaway since the scheme started and it certainly wasn't discounted.
Youre misunderstanding me. I said the takeaways near me have all signed up to participate in the scheme themselves however they do not meet the criteria of having indoor/outdoor seating therefore surely cant be eligible? Idk if these businesses signed up by accident or if they're doing some sort of scam whereby they say people are eating in and claim the 50% off anyway.

coconochanel

VIP Member
No McDonalds near us have been doing it for drive thru. Strictly eat in only and food is bought to your tables like any restaurant with table assigned. Interesting seeing how different businesses are operating! Personally I'm disappointed in all the hassle of getting a table and the awful queues and traffic everywhere Mon-Weds!
Same here Mc Donalds arn't doing it for the drive thru.

chocolate choux

VIP Member
I’ve used the scheme a good amount of times, but I’ve mostly spent about the same per week as pre-lockdown. I used to take my daughter out for breakfast once a week and now take her out twice due to the discount. Next week we’ll be back to once a week

Was the goal to get people back to their normal habits, or to encourage them to eat out more than pre-lockdown?

While I will almost definitely go back to my old habit of eating out on a weekly basis (my daughter wouldn’t be amused if that ended), in a way I feel like the scheme has put me off eating out. It’s crazy how the cashier knocks off half the bill with the press of a button when you say you’re eating in. I use freebie/discount apps for groceries and sometimes an item will be offered for free multiple times. The goal is probably to get you into the habit of buying it, but it never works on me. Had literally 10 bottles of a decent lager for free - perfectly enjoyable but would never pay for it. Several cans of the same fizzy drink, all free - loved it, but would only get as part of a meal deal if my five preferred drinks were out of stock (so, never). So I think my mindset may have been affected in a way that the government didn’t intend - maybe I’m in the minority though

idk2

VIP Member
I've not used it anywhere yet as everywhere seems to walk in only and hell will freeze over before myself or any of my family are standing in those lines just for some money off! Germs everywhere. Some of our local takeaways are on it despite not having much, if any, indoor seating and when asked, they say they arent offering it so why is it on govt website? So ridiculous.

• Haha

Hello Kitty

VIP Member
There goes my plan of action 🤣

If anyone uses the bus tickets to get the £1.99 big mac and fries, they are still accepting them at drive thru and better yet, my local doesn't ask/take the ticket anymore because of Covid so I've used the same ticket at least 4 times since theyve reopened. Cheaper than 50% off too!
My drive too never ask either, but I haven't used once since Covid. I tried to use a voucher when I went into a Mcdonald's the other day but they wasn't accepting them.

Web30

VIP Member
The final day will be the kicker - bank holiday. It's just driven people crazy and the impact on the staff - both for the added stress, lack of time with their families, arranging days off etc is immense. A journalist really needs to write about it from that side.
The flip side is after BH Monday everywhere will die off again, hours will drop for most staff etc.
Kids back at school that week as well.

Lulabella_Mozzarella2

Yay, thank you! 😊

Just when I thought I was getting to grips with my diet this happens 🤦‍♀️ Mon/Tues/Weds is the new weekend 🤣
I was re-starting slimming world (from home) this week - hmmm, maybe not 😆 Only me and kids can’t really utilise this as hubby at work; I may just use the discounts for cake! Cake and coffee!!

Ponponpon

VIP Member
The flip side is after BH Monday everywhere will die off again, hours will drop for most staff etc.
Kids back at school that week as well.
Yep, and it leaves the industry potentially in the balance. The bargain hunters will go away and leaves the rest of us to pick it up when everything is still a bit weird.

coconochanel

VIP Member
Don't costa put everything on plates and in glass cups if you eat in though? It would only work really for fast food where it all comes wrapped
Bugger never thought of that. What about Starbucks do they do the same? I dont normally eat in so I dont know.

Yel

Chatty Member
Another day and another place that wouldn't give me the discount , from now on I'm going to nandos as I'm sure they wouldn't date not offer it to their clientele

As far as I'm concerned the casual dining industry can crash and burn 👿

coconochanel

VIP Member
I really don't think history is going to judge this as being a good idea. Most places are just junk food and it's encouraging lots of people to have way more calories during a pandemic where little is known other that overweight people are more at risk 🤦‍♀️.

Fed up of seeing the chancellor rishi gurning in wagamuma and people thanking him. He isn't paying for it, our children and grandchildren will be 😶
Well lets be honest most things the government do never go down in history as 'a good idea' :LOL: